• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

Nixonomics

I finally got my copy of Ketsui Deathtiny earlier this week. And it seems to have received a new patch today. Have the trophies always been in English? I swear they were in Japanese earlier this week.

Also menus use the western button layout for confirm and cancel now, pretty sure it's in preparation for the western release. Hopefully it means the import version will receive English localization too.

The trophies definitely were NOT in English when I played.

00_Zer0

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Deathsmiles is okay but Cotton Reboot has my eye when it comes to sluggish screen-filling sidescrollers featuring young heroines.

GG Aleste 3 is also coming out.

That R-Type footage looks 🙏 :lollipop_weary:

petran79

Banned
I'd be curious to see if Deathsmiles II is improved over the Xbox 360 version in some way. Deathsmiles 1.... at this point, I'm just holding out for the PCB. It is one of my favorite Cave games, though.

The arcade version included in the xbox360 version as extra has some missing features compared to the original arcade board. Hope they release it on Steam later so I can own a legit copy to save scores.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Buncha fake-ass weebs in here offering anything short of complete praise for Deathsmiles, but I also want Cotton Reboot.

I cannot, for the life of me, believe they actually released it on the X68000.

Last edited:

dan76

I really like Deathsmiles, hopefully Mega Black Label will be included with more accurate slowdown than the 360 port. The arrange mode was pretty good too. Deathsmiles 2 plays great but man it's ugly. Day 1 for me.

Hudo

So, I've been trying out some titles that I have never heard of before on MAME and came across a game by Namco called "Assault", or rather "Assault Plus" and goddamn, son. This game came out of nowhere and made it into my personal top 10 of Shmups. Strictly speaking, it's more like a twin stick shooter than your classical horizontal or vertical scroller but it still counts, IMHO. I've been really enjoying it. Here's a bit of gameplay (not by me):

In other related news (apologies if this has already been discussed), the new Cotton game gets a western release.

Danny Dudekisser

Since you jerks made fun of me liking Deathsmiles, I hope this will make up for it :(

N1hNgCd.png

1oJGTpl.jpg

Got dat GOOWANG

shoplifter

OK, I figure this is the right thread to ask in and I didn't immediately notice someone else asking.

With the new consoles coming, I'm moving my current gen systems to a new 'game room' and I'm looking for a stand that will support a 55" TV, that I can raise/lower and rotate for TATE. It has to be something that will fit on an existing table that the TV currently sits on. So far I've only been able to find floor stands and wall mounts that will rotate, and I have to assume someone else here has the same problem or already has done this.

00_Zer0

I have a floor stand by Vivo that can rotate into tate mode, but I haven't found a stand that can sit on an entertainment center or table yet.

Edit-most table top stands only hold up to a 32 inch monitor. The Vivo stand doesn't adjust the height, but can hold up to 65-70 inch tv.

Edit Edit: If you want to explore the stand I have please go to this thread.

Edit Edit Edit: link to Vivo Stand

I also want to say that for me personally I would want a tv or monitor 40 inches or smaller to enjoy TATE mode. The 55 inch TLC I purchased for this stand is way too big. I recently got a 48 inch LG CX and I can sit close enough to the screen where landscape produces about a 32 inch sized play field on shmups in non tate mode.

I play all my shmups on this now and in landscape, because the viewing area is perfect. I can sit close enough to be competent and still enjoy the games graphics.

I'm beginning to think that a 32 inch monitor is the perfect size for tate. I enjoy these games on my 48 inch Oled more than true 55 inch tate. It's just not as up close and personal, and way too big for my taste.

Last edited:

shoplifter

Thanks - Trying to reuse what I have to keep a happy wife. I'm personally open to the floor stand, she isn't. Ideally, it'd be a 30-40" monitor but she doesn't want me spending more money than I already have on the consoles :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I picked up Crimzon Clover World EXplosion and Black Bird (physical) arrived in the mail. CC I already owned on PC but it's nice to have it on the Switch now. Black Bird was another I owned but I wanted the physical. Both are so good. Happy to have 'em.

Crimzon Clover + flip grip is 🙏:lollipop_weary:

I'd be curious to see if Deathsmiles II is improved over the Xbox 360 version in some way. Deathsmiles 1.... at this point, I'm just holding out for the PCB. It is one of my favorite Cave games, though.

You know the DS2 Jamma PC based hardware is a piece of shit though, it breaks by even looking at it ?

Edit ;

Didn't read good enough , I see you are looking for a DS1 CV 1000 board .

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
it's nice to have it on the Switch now
How do you feel about Switch, shmups and input lag nowadays ? Did you see or feel any interesting changes recently, or does it still seem a bit difficult to play this genre on the console ?

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

You know the DS2 Jamma PC based hardware is a piece of shit though, it breaks by even looking at it ?

Edit ;

Didn't read good enough , I see you are looking for a DS1 CV 1000 board .

Lol, yep. Just want the DS1 board. DS2.... I've never seen a discussion of the arcade board without someone warning people that it's the most temperamental POS ever. Definitely avoiding it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
How do you feel about Switch, shmups and input lag nowadays ? Did you see or feel any interesting changes recently, or does it still seem a bit difficult to play this genre on the console ?
Plenty of games are fine e.g. Danmaku 3, Ikaruga, Black Bird, the M2 releases (Darius, ESPrade), Devil's Engine, the Hamster Archives titles like Blazing Star, and even some of the Psikyo stuff all work fine. If I can help it I try to get em on the PS4 because lag is better and I have better sticks that are native to PS4. I think playing shmups with lag is a personal tolerance issue. Sure if you're going for 1ccs and are learning routes, try to play a version that doesn't have horrible lag. Otherwise just play whatever.

Lol, yep. Just want the DS1 board. DS2.... I've never seen a discussion of the arcade board without someone warning people that it's the most temperamental POS ever. Definitely avoiding it.

I apologische beforehand because this will probably been said to you a lot but you are a bit late to the party collecting CAVE games .
I personally stopped about 6 years ago , that $ 800,- + DS pcb was a $ 400,- full kit 6 to 8 years ago .

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I apologische beforehand because this will probably been said to you a lot but you are a bit late to the party collecting CAVE games .
I personally stopped about 6 years ago , that $ 800,- + DS pcb was a $ 400,- full kit 6 to 8 years ago .

Yup, I know. I didn't have the resources to go out and buy all that stuff back then, though, so here we are. Thing is, the prices aren't coming down, and another 6-8 years from now, we'd probably be having this same conversation again.

I remember back in the day people said to wait with some boards for the price to come down but it never happened .
Congratz with your Guwange pcb, such a great game .
Did you grab the Blue label roms also ?

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I remember back in the day people said to wait with some boards for the price to come down but it never happened .
Congratz with your Guwange pcb, such a great game .
Did you grab the Blue label roms also ?

Nah, I've never been very interested in the variants of the games - just the vanilla original. With the exception of stuff like Futari 1.5, of course.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Anyone interested in a separate 'Shoot Em Up Of The Month Hi-Score' thread? Tagging some recent regulars like Nixonomics Nixonomics Wonko_C Wonko_C 00_Zer0 00_Zer0 Danny Dudekisser Danny Dudekisser bender bender cireza cireza Holammer Holammer DESTROYA DESTROYA Mr Nash Mr Nash Hudo Hudo K KAOS (any others are welcome to chime in too)

Figure we would vote from a decent pool (10+ titles) and that would set the schedule for the next 2-4 months (instead of having to re-vote every single time). Also, I think it would be best to pull from well-known titles that are available on modern platforms. Kinda hard to participate if you need to buy an old system or emulate on PC in order to play it.

Gradius, Ikaruga, any of the M2 ShotTriggers or Hamster Archives titles, Raiden series, etc would be the sort of games we'd pick from.

And for those who read this and think "yes!", any suggestions for games to vote for in the first round?

It would be fun to put up Hi-Score boards (honor system) and egg one another on. That asynchronous competition is pretty chill.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Anyone interested in a separate 'Shoot Em Up Of The Month Hi-Score' thread? Tagging some recent regulars like Nixonomics Nixonomics Wonko_C Wonko_C 00_Zer0 00_Zer0 Danny Dudekisser Danny Dudekisser bender bender cireza cireza Holammer Holammer DESTROYA DESTROYA Mr Nash Mr Nash Hudo Hudo K KAOS (any others are welcome to chime in too)

Figure we would vote from a decent pool (10+ titles) and that would set the schedule for the next 2-4 months (instead of having to re-vote every single time). Also, I think it would be best to pull from well-known titles that are available on modern platforms. Kinda hard to participate if you need to buy an old system or emulate on PC in order to play it.

Gradius, Ikaruga, any of the M2 ShotTriggers or Hamster Archives titles, Raiden series, etc would be the sort of games we'd pick from.

And for those who read this and think "yes!", any suggestions for games to vote for in the first round?

It would be fun to put up Hi-Score boards (honor system) and egg one another on. That asynchronous competition is pretty chill.
Feel like this is going to be too hardcore for me. I play casually, but I will try to participate if it's a game I can buy (or already own) on Xbox.

Hudo

Cool idea, man! I think some kind of R-Type should be included by default as I see it as the canonical Shmup, in a sense, lol. I think the R-Type Dimensions EX collection should be available on all platforms, even Steam.
M2 ShotTriggers gives me an excuse to try out Dangun Feveron, however. So I am fine with all of the choices, really.

Nixonomics

I love this idea. Definitely down for this.

Possible options off the top of my head:

- Crimzon Clover
- Blue Revolver
- Ketsui
- Esp. Rade
- Danmaku Unlimited 3
- Shikhondo Soul Eater
- Ikaruga
- Jamestown

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Feel like this is going to be too hardcore for me. I play casually, but I will try to participate if it's a game I can buy (or already own) on Xbox.
This type of monthly thing is kinda best for casual play, because you can hang w peers instead of staring at world-records in horror. :messenger_fearful:

Like I mentioned in the post, I'll aim to include options that are on a wide variety of platforms.

Good call on R-Type Hudo Hudo especially with R-Type Final 2 coming out next year. Definitely will be on the voting list.

All those sound great Nixonomics Nixonomics !

Wonko_C

So emulators = no go? I mostly emulate or play PC ports. Don't have too much in the way of consoles save for DDP SDOJ, Akai Katana, Otomedius Excellent on 360, and Ketsui Deathtiny on PS4. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom