• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
giphy-downsized-medium.gif

what'd you get?

Pfff. I ain't gonna jinx it. Actually it might be two somethings. We'll see.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Pfff. I ain't gonna jinx it. Actually it might be two somethings. We'll see.
You're such a tease.

What sort of games do you folks want on the Shmup of the Month Club? So far I've seen mention of R-Type, Ikaruga, Esprade, Ketsui, Blue Revolver, Soldner X-2, Crimzon Clover, Danmaku Unlimited, Shikhondo, Dodonpachi SDOJ, Dangun Feveron, and Gradius. No need to sweat thinking up every single option. I'll throw together a SOTMC thread and post the first vote, which will be at least 15 titles and it'll determine the next 2 or 3 months lineup.

I'm thinking it would be best to use one thread and edit it month to month (I might need to bug the mods to help me reset the poll / title each time). At the top of the OP would be the Hi Score boards from previous month(s), and the current hi score board, something like

Gradius V (February)

TOP GAF Pilots Score Stage
1. Danny 42,388,270 2-1
2. KAOS 31,99,620 1-ALL
3. Nixonomics 636,100 1-3
4. Hudo 602,600 1-3

Ketsui (This month)

TOP GAF Pilots Score Stage
1. Danny 42,388,270 2-1
2. KAOS 31,99,620 1-ALL
3. Nixonomics 636,100 1-3
4. Hudo 602,600 1-3​

There would be a poll for the upcoming month(s), if applicable, and I would include a brief write-up for each title plus links so that voters have a bit of info at their fingertips.

Below the high scores would be written / video resources about the current game such as strategy pages, and links to buy a copy. The thread itself would be a free-for-all to post screenshots / gameplay recordings, to post hi scores, to ask for assistance, to brag, to throw down gauntlets, etc.

If someone really loves this idea and wants to take point, be my guest. I have no problem chipping in if someone else wants to dress up a nice OT for shmup of the month. In the meanwhile, I'll draft up something based on the description above and kick the voting off in a week, to get something going for the month of December.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ketsui Deathtiny available in North America, digital only, $34.99.

I picked up the JPN version about a year ago, after having played the PS3 version for a while. The Deathtiny arrange is fun for those who love dramatic bullet-cancels and hyper modes, and the base game is still solid gold. 🙏 :lollipop_weary:

Wonko_C

Ketsui Deathtiny available in North America, digital only, $34.99.

I picked up the JPN version about a year ago, after having played the PS3 version for a while. The Deathtiny arrange is fun for those who love dramatic bullet-cancels and hyper modes, and the base game is still solid gold. 🙏 :lollipop_weary:

Going to pop my Japanese disc and see of they updated it to hopefully include the western localization. I'll report back.

Edit: Nope, still in Japanese. I have no problem with the settings menu, but I'd like to know what's being said in the intro cinematic and more importantly, I want to make sense of the arcade challenge.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

If anyone here purchases the western version of Ketsui, please upload screen captures or video of the translated options and menus, I'm especially interested in the ones from Arcade Challenge mode.

petran79

Banned
Xenia emulator has made a lot of progress and many of the exclusive Xbox360 shmups are playable, the original version at least which is more accurate than MAME.
Deathsmiles 2, Mushihime 2 Futari, Pink Sweets, Espgaluda 2, Otomedius 1 and 2 and the 2 Dodonpachi games seem to work without minor issues

Arrange version have still slowdown emulation issues.

Wonko_C

Xenia emulator has made a lot of progress and many of the exclusive Xbox360 shmups are playable, the original version at least which is more accurate than MAME.
Deathsmiles 2, Mushihime 2 Futari, Pink Sweets, Espgaluda 2, Otomedius 1 and 2 and the 2 Dodonpachi games seem to work without minor issues

Arrange version have still slowdown emulation issues.
Great news, just as my 360 died a few days ago when I was in the mood for some Saidaioujou and Otomedius X...

(Still will have to wait until I build myself a new PC though.)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sister Royale got a Steam release, it's been out on consoles for a year now.
I google'd the devs and it was quite a surprise. They've been around since the PC Engine.

Alfa Systems makes the Castle Shikigami series, which is a guilty pleasure of mine. They have the shmup chops, for sure!

silentstorm

Well, let's see, skipped last gen, family decided to suprise me with a brand new console recently...got Xbox Series X which i am actually suprisingly enjoying, and then realize it's not exactly the 360 when it comes to shmups.

I get why PS4 and Switch get a lot more, bigger markets for one thing, but it still sucks...oh well, i will get R-Type Final 2 on my Xbox just to support it, at least i still have a PC to play many others because i doubt the Xbox will suddenly get Rolling Gunner and many other shmups to it out of nowhere.

KAOS

Well, let's see, skipped last gen, family decided to suprise me with a brand new console recently...got Xbox Series X which i am actually suprisingly enjoying, and then realize it's not exactly the 360 when it comes to shmups.

I get why PS4 and Switch get a lot more, bigger markets for one thing, but it still sucks...oh well, i will get R-Type Final 2 on my Xbox just to support it, at least i still have a PC to play many others because i doubt the Xbox will suddenly get Rolling Gunner and many other shmups to it out of nowhere.

As far as recent shootemups try Sturmwind Ex, Rigid Force Redux and the Vasara Collection.
Also some of those bc games are worth revisiting... Bullet Soul Infinite, Strania, Trigger Heart Exelica, Omega Five, Raiden Iv,V, Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, R-Type Dimensions, Gunstar Heroes, Sine More Ex, Ghost Blade HD, Aegis Wing, Guwage, Hard Corps Rising, KOF Sky Stage, Gyruss, Galaga , Mutant Storm Empire, Super Time Force, Stardust Galaxy Warriors, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crimson Dragon, Child of Eden the Skyforce games and others.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Nice! I don't think it's "new", just an arrange made of Saidaioujou exclusively for EXA Arcadia platform:

Considering how neglected the franchise is, and how mediocre the 360 port is, I'll take whatever! :pie_starstruck:

cireza

Banned
That Raiden V soundtrack is god tier honestly.

I have been playing the game recently, but I have a hard time seeing these bullets. This is a really difficult shmup, a lot of cheap attacks coming from the bottom of the screen, and the LCD blur is a huge problem for me.

Also I have been playing Sisters Royale, nice fun game. Pretty stupid story and setting, but it has its charm. Game does not feel too difficult, then again bullet speed is pretty low which helps a lot. I will definitely go back to it every once in a while.

And finally, I have been playing one of my favorite shmup ever these days : Psyvariar 2 on Dreamcast. This game is a pure thing of beauty. Two very distinct gameplay : one where you are supposed to destroy the enemies (while doing buzz, which means going near enemies and missiles), and the other character where you basically never destroy anything on screen, doing buzz like a madman.

The patterns and colors in this game are highly artistic if you ask me, then again I am not a very experienced shmup player. I can play this game on CRT, which changes everything for me. This is like going from 30 to 60fps, you feel like you are playing in easy mode. Going from LCD to CRT has the same effect. I should maybe look at a way to plug my modern console on my CRT lol...

Looking forward to the Aleste Collection later this month (I will probably only receive it late in January though).

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Great picks cireza cireza

I'm a big fan of Psyvariar series myself. Hoping that someday the second games gets the Delta treatment since it's my favorite out of the two (Delta was a fantastic port tho). The aspect of buzzing enemies and scoring better = lengthier, more difficult bosses, alternate bosses, "true" bosses, etc is wild.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Vinyl_Dodon_900x.png

Available in CD, too. Guessing this is to coincide with the exa Arcadia release of Saidaioujou

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
SOMEWHAT RELATED. Eri (Type B) has a nice voice. I know her from other weeb games. You weeb.

Just a quick mini-review: anyone interested in a legitimate retro-shooter experience should consider the Aleste Collection. The included games are mechanically simplistic, but having them on a big screen brings to mind fun times of sitting in front of a television, playing games like Star Soldier on the NES. The fidelity to the hardware in GG Aleste 3 is also impressive; the game feels like a lost title and an experience more akin to the first time playing Mega Man 9, rather than what tends to be on offer in many retro-inspired shooters. GG Aleste 3 looks to serve as a good indication M2's forthcoming Aleste Branch will be worth the wait.

Admittedly, I haven't put in much time, but so far, I'm finding the collection to be worth the price.

00_Zer0

While technically not a new game release, this recently released hack just breathed new life into Super R-Type for the SNES. Basically the hack involves making use of the SA-1(super accelerator) chip that was used officially in only 32 SNES games. By doing this, games that were notorious for game breaking/unpredictable slowdown can now benefit from faster gameplay when the SA-1 technology is implemented into these games. This can either be played through emulation or through the SNES provided you have the right kind of equipment/setup. This game goes for real cheap on eBay and at retro game shops everywhere, so if any of you have the means to get the game and back it up, it may be well worth the trouble to track it down and play this hack for yourself.

Last edited:

P.Jack

Just a quick mini-review: anyone interested in a legitimate retro-shooter experience should consider the Aleste Collection. The included games are mechanically simplistic, but having them on a big screen brings to mind fun times of sitting in front of a television, playing games like Star Soldier on the NES. The fidelity to the hardware in GG Aleste 3 is also impressive; the game feels like a lost title and an experience more akin to the first time playing Mega Man 9, rather than what tends to be on offer in many retro-inspired shooters. GG Aleste 3 looks to serve as a good indication M2's forthcoming Aleste Branch will be worth the wait.

Admittedly, I haven't put in much time, but so far, I'm finding the collection to be worth the price.
Got my copy in the mail today. Haven’t had time to pop it in yet, but I am very excited since I’ve not played any of the games in the collection before.

I watched this excellent video in anticipation:

It’s got some really good quotes from the devs. Also made me realize how few Compile games I’ve played, despite the ones I have played being among my favourites. Hopefully M2 will do another collection in the future.

P.Jack

In other news, First Press Games recently opened pre-orders for the physical editions of Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles from Qute.

GINGA_FORCE_Regular_Edition_480x.jpg
NATSUKI_CHRONICLES_Regular_Edition_480x.jpg

Don't know if the games are good but since I'm a sucker for physical releases, I ordered both.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
In other news, First Press Games recently opened pre-orders for the physical editions of Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles from Qute.

GINGA_FORCE_Regular_Edition_480x.jpg
NATSUKI_CHRONICLES_Regular_Edition_480x.jpg

Don't know if the games are good but since I'm a sucker for physical releases, I ordered both.
Thanks for the heads up! Got both. Been wanting these for awhile.

cireza

Banned
Today I have finally received my Aleste Collection for Switch. It even came with a bonus book I did not know about, that's awesome !

I was able to make a quick run on GG Aleste 3 : the game is mighty impressive (but there is quite a bit of slowdown). M2 demonstrate their mastery of the Game Gear with this game. There is some crazy stuff with scrolling. I could only make it to the end of the fifth level, the game is quite a bit harder than I had anticipated.

You also get a ton of great features to enhance the experience in the form of dashboards to the side of the screen. Also, the display options are fantastic.

Please give your money to M2, I plan on continuing in doing so :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

SScorpio

I didn't see it posted above, the first public release of the Cave 68000 core for MiSTer was released and it currently supports DoDonPachi.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-Cave_MiSTer

As a first release, it seems really good and has all the rotation, flipping, and scaling options to make it look it's best on a variety of display configurations.

For anyone wondering what I'm talking about, MiSTer is an open-source FPGA project. So it's like the Analogue FPGA consoles, the Super NT (SNES), Mega SG (Genesis/MD). It supports a large range of consoles, computers, and arcade games. It already had support for several arcade system boards that were used across several games Sega System 1, CPS1/1.5, and NeoGeo.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh, nvm. Postal service apparently is still delivering stuff today. Fine with me -- here's that new Cave game

krcqeXR.jpeg

Donpachi

Which brings my paltry Cave PCB collection to:

Dodonpachi
Dodonpachi Daioujou
Donpachi
Guwange
Ibara
Progear no Arashi

I will be accepted by u guys someday

GG Aleste 3 : the game is mighty impressive (but there is quite a bit of slowdown).
As a general heads-up, slowdown can be turned off for all the games in the collection. The option is located in the Pause Menu for each title, accessed by hitting the touch pad.

You'll want to change the following text-item from "Off" to "On:" 快適モード (technically, this reads kaiteki moudo (comfort mode), but it's the slowdown and sprite flicker option).

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I knew something felt off while playing GG Aleste 2.

Damn, my Switch Lite screen is much more yellow than I thought. At some moments, I almost thought it was a different version of the game...

ZYZ0KC3.jpg

cEoKzZi.jpg

Hopefully we get the GG Aleste 3 rom at some point, so it can run on the original hardware...

EDIT : so it seems I did have a strange bug in the end, as the palettes were okay this evening. There was a strange thing happening back then, with the score still being displayed in the home menu when I clicked Home. So something was broken.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Thanks for sharing your impressions on Aleste collection cireza cireza

I'm tempted to pick it up but I have so many shmups already :messenger_weary:

I popped in Crimzon Clover (Switch port) and played through a few credits using handheld mode + flipgrip. Every time I boot it up I have fun.

Haven't messed with Boost mode before tonight. It's pretty intense: you build up boosts (for score?) until you go into Burst mode, then keep yourself in a permanent Burst mode (extra firepower and extra points) where a timer keeps track for how long you've been Boosted. You get bonus points for filling up an entire boost gauge, but it only goes away when you die or Bomb.

Bomb meter builds up pretty quickly, too. Very simple mode with an emphasis on no-bomb/no-miss runs for maximum score, which I love. I think I'll practice for a 1cc in that mode. Hmm, I'll have to figure out which ship I wanna use, though.

Top Bottom