• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

cireza

Banned
To play on Switch I have been using this for some time now, and it is pretty good.

OIVO Grip

61f1vhcWdPL._AC_SX450_.jpg

The thing is asymetrical, and really helps reaching the A B X Y buttons.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
MachineAres 1cc from the farm posted this cool SEGA Genesis Collection mod, converting the game over to a showcase of the Gen/MD's shmup library. Users have to provide their own roms but the bedroom menu has been reworked to include shmup cover art and shmup posters on the wall

0FcsVWr.jpg

qKOxaOq.jpg

P.Jack

I've really enjoyed playing the Aleste Collection these past few days. I mean wow, every game is great, what a fantastic collection of previously 'unavailable' games. Didn't expect to be this hooked, I really recommend anyone with even a passing interest in these kinds of shmups to grab it. Don't get fooled thinking it's just a cheap collection of 8-bit shmups, three of which are for the portable Game Gear. They all look and play really good, which is crazy when you consider the hardware they ran on originally. This is the real deal and well worth the price of admission. Another job well done by M2!

I also got Söldner X2: Definitive Edition in the same delivery. While not as exciting as the Aleste Collection, the game is alright. I've played it on Vita before and naturally it's a better fit for the big screen with all the graphical effects going on in that game. It's solid, wouldn't mind a third one I guess.

Looking forward, I recently put in a preorder at NISA for R-type Final 2. It's going to hit retail eventually but might as well secure a copy now since I think the price of 50£ for the Inaugural Flight Edition is perfectly reasonable.
Dayone_R-Type-Final-2-PS4-PEGI-English.jpg

They also have a limited edition, but as far as I can tell, the only difference is that you get a ship model and a pin. I don't get how that justifies the extra 30£ but YMMV.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm bored as hell, so I think I'm going to try Sengoku Blade. Got the PCB back in November, hooked it up once to make sure it runs, and tucked it back into the closet.

cireza

Banned
Sengoku Blade
I have the Saturn version, it is one of my favorite shmups !

So I picked this game, Esp Ra De Psi :
esp-ra-de-psi-cover.cover_large.jpg

It seems that it is a game from Cave, never really played their games. This game requires very high precision, with small movements to navigate through bullets, which is not that easy on Switch Lite. It is a bit small, and my eyesight is probably not as good as ten years ago haha...

Still I like the mechanics. You have the main shot which you pretty much keep your finger on it, and the secondary shot that reloads in a couple seconds. I like how it reacts to your movement. If you are going right or left, you get a very nice wave effect, as if you are throwing stuff while moving. Stay still, and everything goes in front, for a powerful attack.

Then there is the bomb. In this game, it is a shield that absorbs bullets, and then, unleashes a powerful attack upon release. The more you absorb, the more powerful the attack. However, each bullet consumes some energy, so you can't resort to absorbing everything all the time. You can use it around three times, if you are careful of not absorbing too many attacks.

I made it to stage 5 which isn't too bad, but it is definitely very difficult. I am going to play this game and some Aleste Collection for some time I think ! :)

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I have the PS4 version cireza cireza but yeah Esprade is sooooo good. Akira: The shmup (in essence).

A scoring tip: your secondary shot "sticks" to an enemy when it hits them. If you kill the enemy with your Main shot during the brief window of the shots "sticking" to the enemy, they drop a bunch of power / score tokens. If you time it perfectly, you can get a 16x bonus (for the 15 bullets in your secondary shot's magazine) and keep your chain going by stringing it to the next enemy.

Aside from score, this is also the fastest way to get those green power tokens to increase your shot damage.

I know its been a couple of years but lets give a hand to DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi . What an OP!
Thanks! I've only been a hardcore fan of the genre for ~4 years. It was an honor to keep the porch-light on for any GAFers who wanted to share their love for this niche.

Quick Edit:

Forgot to mention that I noticed Rolling Gunner Overpower (physical) show up on play-asia for $48.

Last year they had a placeholder and then it vanished, so I'm happy it was not cancelled altogether.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
After having a look at this thread I was going to bite on Ketsui and Esp Ra De on Play Asia but they've added a ridiculous amount of tax (has been a long time since I ordered anything physical from them but Brexit shouldn't change shipments from Asia and they were charging waaaay more than VAT).

I've used Ami Ami before but neither are in stock. Does anybody have any other reliable places for imports that they can recommend?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
After having a look at this thread I was going to bite on Ketsui and Esp Ra De on Play Asia but they've added a ridiculous amount of tax (has been a long time since I ordered anything physical from them but Brexit shouldn't change shipments from Asia and they were charging waaaay more than VAT).

I've used Ami Ami before but neither are in stock. Does anybody have any other reliable places for imports that they can recommend?
might be worth checking if any local Amazon / eBay sellers are selling them in your region (therefore VAT free?) at a lesser markup than play-asia.

That sucks though. I dunno what I would do if imports were jacked up in price like that here in the USA. :(

I can't speak to VAT or cheap shipping to your area, but from a reliability standpoint, Amazon Japan is an option. Both the PS4 & Switch versions of ESP Ra.De. are currently available, while Ketsui appears to be out-of-stock from the site itself (Amazon Japan doesn't allow international orders from its marketplace sellers).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Idk what they're playing at - vat is 20% (so about £18 on this purchase), plus a flat handling fee. They quoted £68.
It's pretty sad that fans have to jump through hoops to play two of the best shmup releases of the generation. Hopefully you can get it via an alternative like Amz Japan or an eBay seller. Good luck.

Nixonomics

If you're not determined to get a physical copy you can always make a Japanese PSN account and purchase Esp Ra De and Ketsui on the JPN PS store. After you've purchased them you can log in to your normal psn profile and play the games. That's what I did and the process was easy and surprisingly quick. Although I would check on Ketsui as it might be available in your region already on PSN.

MudoSkills

Thanks for the advice - I'm giving Amazon Japan a go for Esp Ra De and will see how it all goes.

Provided I'm quicker off the mark than I was with Ketsui I'm assuming that generally Amazon is fine for new releases?

Provided I'm quicker off the mark than I was with Ketsui I'm assuming that generally Amazon is fine for new releases?
Amazon Japan is good for new releases. Sometimes the site won't allow international customers to pre-order products, but it usually just means having to wait until the actual release date to make a purchase.

cireza

Banned
Thanks for the advice - I'm giving Amazon Japan a go for Esp Ra De and will see how it all goes.

Amazon Japan will charge for VAT when you pay. If you want to try to avoid VAT, you can use Play Asia and choose for them not to pay in advance (among the shipping options) or go with eBay. I bought my Esp Ra De Psi on eBay and did not pay VAT.

P.Jack

Amazon Japan will charge for VAT when you pay. If you want to try to avoid VAT, you can use Play Asia and choose for them not to pay in advance (among the shipping options) or go with eBay. I bought my Esp Ra De Psi on eBay and did not pay VAT.
Based on my own experience, always do DDP (Delivered Duty Paid), if given the option. That is tax without any fees (Play-asia) or a specified sum (LimitedRun). It depends on where you are at, but trying to avoid it might end up being more expensive. For me, those that do DDP always ends up cheaper than having a third party declare it for me (local post office).
With DDP you pay it all at once, no hidden fees.

Anyway, I love Ketsui so however you manage to get a hold of that game, it is worth it.

cireza

Banned
Yesterday I managed to complete GG Aleste 3 and lost only one life. This game is not too difficult, and I am really enjoying it. Going to replay this often, which was already the case of GG Aleste 2. I hope we can get the rom at some point, to try this on my Game Gear.

Also discovered Power Strike 2 on SMS for the first time. What an impressive game for the console ! Presentation is fantastic. Made it to Stage 7, but when you die, you lose your power-ups so it makes it really complicated to continue.

I hope that they will make a second batch with 16 bits awesomeness + both PCE games.

I heard about a couple SMS games going to be released soon (or already available), will try to post this here for information.

Edit : here, Flight of Pigarus

The other one is a puzzle game, here is a link : link

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
M2 shows off a bit of their new game "Battle Blade"

wagtdoB.png

cireza

Banned
Today I played two awesome MegaDrive shmups. Completed them both, as they are not very difficult games.

The first one is Elemental Master. Listen to the awesome OST below :

Click on Read, thank me later.

Elemental Master has 7 stages that scroll vertically. You are able to shoot forward or backward, but not to the sides. Enemies appear from all places and you have to move a lot to destroy them. You get a new weapon after completing each of the four first stages, offering more variety in terms of ranges and directions. You also get the power to charge any of the five weapons for a very powerful attack. This game is great fun. It also has very nice cutscenes. The difficult feels right. The boss of Stage 6 is only vulnerable to the charged white beam, so keep this in mind. This game is a great example of why MegaDrive shmups were awesome.

The second game is Twinkle Tale.
Twinkle-Tale.jpg

Like Elemental Master, you also control a human character in this game. You are the one who decides when the game scrolls, and it goes in all directions. You can use three different shots, that cover all situations. You also have two powerful spells to clear the screen and deal massive damage.

This game is slightly more difficult than Elemental Master. Presentation is top notch, you don't get much better pixel-art than this on MegaDrive. There is a lot of attention to every detail. Introduction is superb, with great dithering. Backgrounds are often beautiful, with some places (like castles entrances) that are highly detailed. This is a true beauty for the console.

Does anyone think that the Aleste Collection with get a Physical English Release?

I was thinking of importing, but I would love to read the stories of each Aleste game as well as finally play Power Strike 2 in its original form.

Twinkle Tale is amazing! (use the username on Youtube as well) I just wish they could license it.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Does anyone think that the Aleste Collection with get a Physical English Release?

I was thinking of importing, but I would love to read the stories of each Aleste game as well as finally play Power Strike 2 in its original form.

Twinkle Tale is amazing! (use the username on Youtube as well) I just wish they could license it.
Hard to say. I bought the Japanese version in case, and if no other version gets released, it will only get more expensive...

Psyvariar-2-xbox-front-cover.jpg

So I finally managed to One Credit Psyvariar 2 on OG Xbox (I tend to play this game on Xbox or Dreamcast without really any kind of logic lol). I have been training a bit on this game recently. Even if the game is not the most difficult out there, it is still a challenge for me. I play with the girl (the one that gains Buzz when defeating enemies). Playing with the guy is beyond my skill level.

I only lost one life, so I was quite happy with the result. Even though I try to maximize Buzz a little (by not destroying enemies too quickly), I could only reach level 325 at the end the game, which is not enough to trigger the final boss (I believe that 350 are required).

I need to improve my game a bit, and get these missing levels at some points, probably during stages where it is much easier (because against bosses, you don't buzz as the experience bar is red most of the time).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Psyvariar 2 is so good. Nice on the clear! I've CC'd the first but not the second. I love how sections and bosses are unlocked based on how high you push your buzz count.

cireza

Banned
Psyvariar 2 is so good. Nice on the clear! I've CC'd the first but not the second. I love how sections and bosses are unlocked based on how high you push your buzz count.
Yes, I love this feature. I actually managed to get Hard difficulty at stage 3, so I was pretty good on Buzz at this point, but eventually, I guess I dropped a bit. I need to improve my Stage 4 and especially 5, which is pretty long and has many opportunities to buzz.

Getting Hard difficulty is the key to getting more Buzz.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hard to say. I bought the Japanese version in case, and if no other version gets released, it will only get more expensive...

Psyvariar-2-xbox-front-cover.jpg

So I finally managed to One Credit Psyvariar 2 on OG Xbox (I tend to play this game on Xbox or Dreamcast without really any kind of logic lol). I have been training a bit on this game recently. Even if the game is not the most difficult out there, it is still a challenge for me. I play with the girl (the one that gains Buzz when defeating enemies). Playing with the guy is beyond my skill level.

I only lost one life, so I was quite happy with the result. Even though I try to maximize Buzz a little (by not destroying enemies too quickly), I could only reach level 325 at the end the game, which is not enough to trigger the final boss (I believe that 350 are required).

I need to improve my game a bit, and get these missing levels at some points, probably during stages where it is much easier (because against bosses, you don't buzz as the experience bar is red most of the time).

I haven't spent that much time on Psyvariar 2, but I do think the game's super fun. I've been meaning to buy the DC version forever. Got it on PS2, but it's a Naomi game, so...

Don’t judge me but I also picked up Caldarus Blaze on PSN for $3 (normally $20) I kind of like it, 3 button magic system and the art is great, high quality, but I could do without “battle damage” Shame mechanic lol it does make me laugh though.

there’s a bunch of other shooters on sale on PSN right now too.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So in my newfound quest to git gud with a genre without having to slog through 20hrs of story cutscenes I decided to try shmups (also Flip Grip was way too easy to order with Apple Pay). I tried getting into them with Cave shooters during the X360 era.

Lots of shmups on sale right now on eShop - can someone tell me one horizontal and one vertical to buy (will be playing horizontal while waiting for Flip Grip to arrive)? I was thinking getting R-Type.

P.Jack

So I finally received my copy of Rival Megagun from First Press Games the other day. Solid first release from them, with a heavy manual and a nice slipcover. Bodes well for their upcoming Qute releases.

As for the game itself, its alright. Not too hot on the presentation outside of gameplay but in-game the graphics are solid and the soundtrack is actually pretty good. The game does feel a bit sluggish, but that could just be me coming straight from playing other shmups, so YMMV. It does feel like the whole versus setup is well executed, so I'll be sure to bring it the next time I rendezvous with my shmup buddy.

Can't say I'm blown away but admittedly I haven't put a lot of time into it and at least the versus mode has me intruiged.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Spent the last 2 weeks playing Skyforce Reloaded but once the Flip Grip gets here I think I will dump it and move to other games - the ability to just grind for better equipment and then try later stages kinda makes me think you cannot really improve in the game.
Looking forward to R-Type in April, I read Gradius that just came out in Japan is also a solid choice.

For those interested, the Japanese release of the Cotton Reboot is fairly import friendly for English speakers. The game detects your system's region and puts all the menus in English, though it doesn't translate the in-game manual. There is a language option, but it only changes text in the intermission, story-sequences from Japanese to Korean or Chinese.

As for the remake, it's a fun, easy-playing experience and looks great. I particularly like the chunkier, rastered pixels in the remake; the visual choice provides texture, which helps to avoid the overly flat look of so many HD pixel games. This is my first time touching the X68000 version, and the art is beautiful, though there is some pixel shimmering. From the bit I played, controls for the X68000 also feel good; while I'm not the best lag detector, I wasn't finding myself annoyed by the game.

MudoSkills

2021 is year of the shump having neglected the genre for years. I've bought Esprade, Ketsui, Aleste and my copy of Cotton Reboot turned up today.

So far Esprade is the one I've spent the most time with and it's fantastic. I'm terrible at it but refuse to use the quicksave feature that M2 seem to put in.

Cotton seems a possible 1cc but once I lose it I really lose it - made it to stage 4 without a death but from the point I screw-up it seems to be mistake after mistake which is frustrating.

Turns out the hardest trophy in it is to destroy a black crystal. No idea how much firepower you need to throw at one but I haven't broken one yet.

protonion

Could anyone give me a top 5 for PSN?

If it has a good story mode, that's a plus for me.

I only have Sky Force Reloaded. The idea of grinding and replaying stages was appealing to me but in the end it was too much grinding.

I have my eyes on Natsuki Chronicles and Sine Mora.

Could anyone give me a top 5 for PSN?

If it has a good story mode, that's a plus for me.
I'm fairly awful at Top X & Best Of lists, but here are seven good games of various price ranges and in no particular order, all available on U.S. PSN (consider two of them honorable mentions):
- DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours
- Ketsui
- Gradius III
- R-type Dimensions
- Ikaruga
- Caladrius Blaze
- Life Force

Of the above, only Caladrius Blaze has something of a dedicated story mode, part of which involves destroying costumes of your female adversaries (things never get too pervy). The game is a vertical shooter developed by MOSS, the current owner/developer of the Raiden games; it's slightly more bullet hell (or maybe CAVE inspired) than Raiden and features character art by Yasuda Suzuhito.

Last edited:
Top Bottom