• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

cireza

Banned
Last edited:

RayBoy

P.Jack

Good news!

EyUU83CXIAUcayy

And it's a 4 week pre-order, thankfully!

Source: LRG twitter

P.Jack

Any chance this opens the door for a Ketsui one? Any word of a physical edition for Ketsui in the West?
I wouldn’t bet on it, based on previous statements from Limited Run about prioritizing games that haven’t got any other physical releases. I guess they didn’t account for the korean release of Battle Garegga though, which is the only M2 shmup on PS4 that has two different physical releases.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Apologies for the source but another shmup collection coming, Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang and Guardian Force:

Related to the above (and for anyone who'd rather not go to the Era), you can visit Gematsu for news from the first day of Shooting Game Daikanshasai 2021.

So far:
- Cotton Collection (link)
- Free update to Cotton Reboot (link)
- Psikyo Shooting Collection for PS & XB consoles (link)
- First Look at Strikers 2020 (link)

The archived stream for day one of Shooting Game Daikanshasai 2021 is currently available (link), with the day two stream starting around 4pm, Tokyo time.

SkylineRKR

Cotton 2 on Saturn is so fucking awesome. I had that with a ram cart way back. Great music as well. Might grab that collection from JP store in due time.

Just to follow my above post, here's the news from day two of Shooting Game Daikanshasai 2021.

- Deathsmiles I & II collection (PS, NS, XB) set for 12/16/21 in Japan (link)
- The Switch is getting a port of a DoDonPachi cell phone game (link)

I only scrubbed through the day two stream (link). For those interested, there's a bunch of Exa-Arcadia stuff in the beginning and later on maybe some new R-Type Final 2 footage (didn't play the demo, so not sure here).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Score Rush.

It looks like this indie dev doesn't make games anymore and the last one they made was a version of Score Rush on PS4 5 years ago.

I played the original one on 360 way back when it was on XBLIG.

One life. You get killed if a bullet hits your tiny pixel space in your ship. I was never able to clear all the levels in the 360 game. I could get to level B, but to beat the game you had to beat Boss A.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
The Cotton & Guardian Force collection is up for pre-order on Amazon Japan (SE appears to have a CD soundtrack, not sure what else): link

P.Jack

Guardian Force is one of my favourites on saturn and I dont think many people played that since its crazy expensive these days. Very cool to see it rereleased, was not expecting that.

For those who didn't watch Nintendo's Japanese E3 stream, a relevant announcement was Mushihime-sama, Espgaluda II, and DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu will be downloadable for the Switch. The trailer is below.

Mushihime-sama is already available on the Switch's Japanese store. On the downside, it's JPY 2500 (roughly USD $23, at the moment). Espgaluda II and DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu are said to also be coming in 2021. So far, I've seen no mention of any physical release or international availability.

::: edit :::

Sometime after the stream, these games were announced for the international market (Gematsu link). Similarly, Mushihime-sama is available now, Espgaluda II and DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu are coming later in 2021. Price is $19.99 / €16.99. Still no mention of anything physical.

Last edited:
While my usual instinct is to hope & wait for a physical release, I decided to purchase Mushihime-sama, since the last time I played the game on a TV was with the PS2, which I haven't hooked-up in ages. For those who haven't read the official PR and since I don't believe it's mentioned on the eShop page, the game does feature the Arrange & 1.5 modes. The release seems to be based on the PC version, which itself has roots in the XBox 360 edition (and probably explains why the company will be offering Espgaluda II & DDP DaiFukkatsu). In general, the game looks good and feels appropriately responsive--the many deaths were my own and not due to laggy controls. For reference, I played using 8BitDo's Genesis-inspired M30 controller.

Being based on the PC release, the in-game options are respectable, but this is a straightforward port of existing material and nothing along the lines of M2's ShotTriggers series. Unless a physical versions is announced prior to its release, I'll also likely grab DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu. Going by Mushihime-sama and assuming the following two games are similar in quality, if something physical is ever made available, I'd expect a single full-priced game (meaning something in the $60+ range) with all three titles included, since I think it'd be difficult to justify selling them separately at around $30 (let alone more). I guess we'll see...

Unrelated, I also grabbed SEGA AGE's Thunder Force AC, as it's currently on sale for $3.99.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
For those who didn't watch Nintendo's Japanese E3 stream, a relevant announcement was Mushihime-sama, Espgaluda II, and DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu will be downloadable for the Switch. The trailer is below.

Mushihime-sama is already available on the Switch's Japanese store. On the downside, it's JPY 2500 (roughly USD $23, at the moment). Espgaluda II and DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu are said to also be coming in 2021. So far, I've seen no mention of any physical release or international availability.

Sometime after the stream, these games were announced for the international market (Gematsu link). Similarly, Mushihime-sama is available now, Espgaluda II and DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu are coming later in 2021. Price is $19.99 / €16.99. Still no mention of anything physical.

Absolute bargains, hope these come to xbox in the future, and I'll double (triple/quad dip, if we include the prior 360/steam releases for some titles)

Nabbed mushi straight away for £15.29 :D

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
While my usual instinct is to hope & wait for a physical release, I decided to purchase Mushihime-sama, since the last time I played the game on a TV was with the PS2, which I haven't hooked-up in ages. For those who haven't read the official PR and since I don't believe it's mentioned on the eShop page, the game does feature the Arrange & 1.5 modes. The release seems to be based on the PC version, which itself has roots in the XBox 360 edition (and probably explains why the company will be offering Espgaluda II & DDP DaiFukkatsu). In general, the game looks good and feels appropriately responsive--the many deaths were my own and not due to laggy controls. For reference, I played using 8BitDo's Genesis-inspired M30 controller.

Being based on the PC release, the in-game options are respectable, but this is a straightforward port of existing material and nothing along the lines of M2's ShotTriggers series. Unless a physical versions is announced prior to its release, I'll also likely grab DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu. Going by Mushihime-sama and assuming the following two games are similar in quality, if something physical is ever made available, I'd expect a single full-priced game (meaning something in the $60+ range) with all three titles included, since I think it'd be difficult to justify selling them separately at around $30 (let alone more). I guess we'll see...

Unrelated, I also grabbed SEGA AGE's Thunder Force AC, as it's currently on sale for $3.99.

Picked up a digital copy as well and I must say it's a really good port of the game. Looking forward to seeing a physical release of these in some form. I wouldn't be surprised if Limited Run Games does a physical release in a year or so.

Hoping that Cave ports more of their games to consoles.

I've really enjoyed the Cotton Reboot, but I'm not currently onboard with Cotton Rock 'n' Roll. For something set to hit consoles before year's end, the screenshots do it no justice, plus with guest characters and systems from other shooters, I worry this is a product almost made more to be fan merchandise than a decent game.

On the other hand, the collection of Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang, and Guardian Force is still supposed to release on September 30.

Wonko_C

VR sidescrolling Shoot 'em Up! I'm not a fan of the first-person sections though, it should be pure horishmup IMO.

(Now I wish I could play R-Type Final 2 that way too...)

Last edited:

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
Switch ver of Mushihime sama is great imo. Really loving it the last few days. Nice to finally have a legit copy of 1.5 too.

Looking forward to DDP Daifukkatsu and Espgaluda 2 on the Switch later this year. I have no doubt that Limited Run Games will release a physical version thereafter.

Looking forward to DDP Daifukkatsu and Espgaluda 2 on the Switch later this year. I have no doubt that Limited Run Games will release a physical version thereafter.

wwoah, what?!?! ESPgaluda 2 is coming ?!?! Day 1.

still wish there was a western release of ESP rade also really hoping some brings mushihimesama futari as well.

I have played the DDP series as well but never got really into them. I have all the cave shooters from the iOS store on my phone.

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
wwoah, what?!?! ESPgaluda 2 is coming ?!?! Day 1.

still wish there was a western release of ESP rade also really hoping some brings mushihimesama futari as well.

I have played the DDP series as well but never got really into them. I have all the cave shooters from the iOS store on my phone.

Here is an article outlining the current release of Musihimesama and the rest of the planned CAVE releases. My understanding is Cave is planning to release them later this year.

Impotaku

On my search through the preorder section on amazon japan found a couple more shooters have gone up for preorder

Had no idea that abarenbou tengu was getting a release on the switch, this time it's coming as a double pack with the western zombie nation with an arranged extra soundtrack and some fancy looking goods in a set. Love the artwork in this one, considering how much the original cart goes for i'm happy to take a copy of this release.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B099HMFX33/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=暴れん坊天狗&qid=1626464326&sr=8-8
730.png

Also that illvello swamp double pack with radirigy swag is also on for preorder
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B09998D5SS/
81eW5jSyg7S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
So, I was scrolling through Twitter and apparently, back on July 15th, M2 released a new ALESTE game for Japanese arcades.

Senjin ALESTE (Battle Blade ALESTE) looks to be a danmaku shooter, where you change between four different ships, depending on your weapon item. The game is being is being distributed on SEGA's ALL.Net P-ras MULTI Version 3 system.

Here's the game's website: Link.

Below is the game trailer, currently featured on the website:

I don't at all remember hearing news about this game, but I guess we'll see, if it eventually moves beyond the arcades.

After a little digging, looks like Senjin ALESTE was announced, during a M2 stream back on January 31, 2021 (link).

M2 showed a bunch of the game in their stream from July 15th (link), when they also announced the Tiger-Heli collection (Gematsu link, for anyone who was unaware).

Here are a few related videos:
- Off-screen location test footage from June
- Full playthrough
- Full playthrough (true boss)

Last edited:

dan76

I'm one of the devs on Star Hunter DX, our new shmup. It's available now on Steam, Switch, PS4 and Xbox.

It's a hori with a Bullet Time scoring mechanic, lots of nice chunky gold cancels. 3 characters, 3 difficulties, 5 stages and 6 bosses.
We really tried to make something approachable for new players, so the Space Cadet difficulty is pretty easy going, Bullet Hell on the other hand should give you seasoned pros a challenge. It has a rechargeable bomb stock through grazing, so go ahead and BOMBA!
SLG are putting out a physical, but they sold out pretty quick.
Star%2BHunter%2Bphysical%2Bedition%2BSLG.jpg

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
NGDev released this game last week on the Nintendo eShop. Hopefully, none of you bought any of the high-priced scalper versions on Fleabay. NGDev has stated that they still plan to release another batch of physical versions next year.

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
Finally cotton boomerang has some footage, i'm liking this one.

Super happy to see they are adding the Kawase DLC. Don't forget that we should see a Saturn collection with Guardian Force bundled. Keeping my fingers crossed for a Hyper Duel re-release.

Krathoon

The Saturn did this weird thing with sprites. It is like it is a 3D engine using sprites.

I ordered Cotton Guardian Force Tribute on Play Asia.

Impotaku

Picked up this today as i have been meaning to get it for a while a really fun & addictive shmup with mr driller elements. The gameplay loop is super addictive played for hours so far a great little eshop title. There's even a free demo.

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
Picked up this today as i have been meaning to get it for a while a really fun & addictive shmup with mr driller elements. The gameplay loop is super addictive played for hours so far a great little eshop title. There's even a free demo.

I don't speak Japanese, so I'm unable to understand the context of this game. However, it is very fun to play and the developers added an upgrade system that helps players overcome some of the harder levels. I like that players have the option to go back and grind easier levels for resources.

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
This was released on the Switch last Friday. I don't know if it was released on Microsoft and Sony consoles. I'm happy to see more and more of these games are getting a digital download. Hopefully, this will lead to other future physical releases. I remember trying to get this game a couple of years ago but, it was prohibitively expensive thanks to scalpers and resellers.

The game retails for $6.99 on the Nintendo E-Shop, and last I checked it was being sold for a little less with the sale incentive. Additional goodies such as a rewind button, graphic filters, and options make this bargain a must-have for shmup fans.

Figured this was worth posting, since it seems to have largely flown under the radar.

Limited Run is doing physical copies of Mushihimesama for Switch. The game is available in a standard edition (link), collector's edition (link), and they're offering some plastic garbage that turns your Switch into a mini arcade cabinet (link). Important to note: pre-orders close on Sunday, November 28, 2021.

Also worth noting, so far there isn't any Japanese or Asian region counterpart to Limited Run's version.

Dev1lXYZ

2021 was a great year for shmups. The big disappointment for me this year was M2. They usually hit it out of the park with their yearly release, yet Tiger Heli Collection is kinda flat. I could understand if they wanted to do their Toaplan stuff in like six month intervals, but I digress. It stands in the shadow of Aleste Collection, which I consider to be a superior product.

Speaking of which, holy shit is Cotton Rock and Roll pretty damn amazing or what?! Totally caught me by surprise. Deathsmiles is as great as always and the recent revisit to them has given me new appreciation for 2.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Just now getting into shmups. Been heavily into run and guns and beat 'em ups my whole life, so this is a natural addition to that.

I have a few fight sticks and an extra monitor on an arm for TATE. Been buying some of the usual recommendations like Crimzon Clover, Danmaku Unlimited 3, Ikaruga (of course), and a handful of others. Been lots of fun.

Top Bottom