• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

Aldynes

Hello fellow Gaffers, I've stumble across this today, the game is called Meta Ph List Gamma X 2097 a Jap only PS1 vertical Shmup with 2 layers and 360 degree shots, 2 CDs full of cutscene (in english dub) a RPG-esque level up system, map with branching path, completely bonkers graphical effect for the power ups, this look insane, never heard of it
🧐

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
Hello fellow Gaffers, I've stumble across this today, the game is called Meta Ph List Gamma X 2097 a Jap only PS1 vertical Shmup with 2 layers and 360 degree shots, 2 CDs full of cutscene (in english dub) a RPG-esque level up system, map with branching path, completely bonkers graphical effect for the power ups, this look insane, never heard of it
🧐

Very rare game. I only saw a handful of listing for physical copies...ranging from $100 - $250.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Why haven't they released the Cho Aniki games on any digital storefront? I think they should get the attention they deserve, M2, here is your next project.

Why haven't they released the Cho Aniki games on any digital storefront? I think they should get the attention they deserve, M2, here is your next project.
Well, there's always the new Cho Aniki rhythm game for smartphones...

Seriously, though, Cho Aniki and the rest of Masaya's catalog, including Langrisser, are owned by Extreme Co., Ltd. The company has released stuff on consoles, such as the (lackluster) remake of Langrisser I & II and published various older works as download software going back to at least the Wii U. They're also the company behind Gley Lancer and Gynoug on the Switch. That said, Extreme's focus seems more on the mobile market and managing IP, rather than actively creating games. I'm not certain to what extent they really develop in-house, rather than subcontracting to outside firms.

Considering how much Extreme rides the Cho Aniki franchise in their corporate marketing, I am surprised some of the games haven't appeared on more recent download platforms, though Cho Aniki and Ai Cho Aniki are available on Japan's Project EGG service. As for some manner of decent retro collect, the question is probably whether there's enough of a market to warrant that type of treatment. I quite enjoy the Cho Aniki franchise, but I'm more inclined to think the best the series would see is some moderately-priced, emulation-based collection, instead of one along the lines of M2's ShotTriggers.

Otherwise, you can always watch a TV commercial, where Adol and Samson pimp Extreme's contract-worker business: Link.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hi GAF
any good eshop switch suggestions?
I've got Sinemora EX
vasara collection

on my wish list, I have
graceful explosion machine
debris infinity
hyper sentinel.

I'm not after many bullet hell type games but cheaper pick-up and place old-school style games.

something similar to Resogun, more twitchy score attack games. With waves and bosses

any suggestions?

Last edited:

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
Hi GAF
any good eshop switch suggestions?
I've got Sinemora EX
vasara collection

on my wish list, I have
graceful explosion machine
debris infinity
hyper sentinel.

I'm not after many bullet hell type games but cheaper pick-up and place old-school style games.

something similar to Resogun, more twitchy score attack games. With waves and bosses

any suggestions?
Here's a list of STG's on Switch. The bolded titles are pretty safe bets but it will be up to you to decided how many frames of lag is acceptable. Some of the non-bullet hell games have a tolerable amount of lag.

https://switch-shmups.fandom.com/wiki/Alphabetical_list_of_Nintendo_Switch_shmups/STGs

leeb

Neo Member
Akai Katana Shin for Switch arrived today. Never seen or played it before now - feels more frenetic than Deathsmiles, or maybe that's just the BGM.

I'm too old to tell if there's any lag, sorry.

Tarin02543

Akai Katana Shin for Switch arrived today. Never seen or played it before now - feels more frenetic than Deathsmiles, or maybe that's just the BGM.

Interested in this as well, but waiting for lag tests before I buy. This isn't developed by Cave directly.

SOME-MIST

it's a lot more comparable to progear than deathsmiles in that it's crucial to learn how the "complex" scoring mechanics work so you can clear the screen/cancel bullets to make the game easier to play. high learning curve but once you learn it the clear is probably middle of the road as far as difficulty goes

For anyone who may have missed the news from M2's recent live event (video link), we got some nice updates:
- There's going to be a M2 ShotTriggers release for DoDonPachi: Dai-Ou-Jou (Gematsu link).
- There was another short video of Aleste Branch, this time showing the three ships & pilots (Gematsu link).
- Finally, M2 released promotional material for the new work from Ikaruga's creator, Ubusuna (Gematsu link).

I'm really excited for DDP: Dai-Ou-Jou. The port-of-a-port-of-a-port version of Dai-Fukkatsu is good enough (wish there was a Playstation release, though), so now all we need is a modern way to play DonPachi & DoDonPachi.

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

More Cave in current hardware is always good. Have Daioujou in PS2 but will probably gett it because M2 always nails it. Hope we get a version with lot of content including stuff that was on the 360 port

Dev1lXYZ

Dodonpachi Daioujou is so much fun. I have never played it, so I was a little concerned that it was going to be very hard. I guess I have gotten better over the years, but this game is fire. Playing on Normal isn’t too bad until stage 4. Then, it’s time to learn. 😂

I was just gonna let this sleep, but since someone else bumped the thread... Earlier in the week, M2 held a live stream for the release of DDP: DaiOujou; during the event, they also showcased the first level of their upcoming Aleste Branch. For anyone interested, here's a link to check-out the footage: YouTube Link.

Dodonpachi Daioujou is so much fun. I have never played it, so I was a little concerned that it was going to be very hard. I guess I have gotten better over the years, but this game is fire. Playing on Normal isn’t too bad until stage 4. Then, it’s time to learn.
Seems like people are having a good time with this release. Sadly, I'm still waiting for my copy to ship from CD Japan; hopefully I'll have it by next weekend.

Last edited:
Top Bottom