• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoji Meguro leaves Atlus to work as a free lance.

killatopak

Hello. I’m Shoji Meguro.

I know this is quite sudden, but I, Shoji Meguro, resigned from Atlus Co., Ltd. at the end of September 2021.

I’ve been creating role-playing games by myself during my spare time for the past five years now, and I applied for a Round 1 Kodansha Game Creators Lab recruitment and was selected as one of the finalists. Then staff from Kodansha was assigned to work with me.

I decided to leave Atlus and focus on my dream of developing indie games.

However, I will continue to maintain a good relationship with Atlus. While focusing on my own indie game development, I will continue to work with Atlus on game music, so I hope that those of you who were concerned about the sudden announcement will feel relieved.

Lastly, I would like to thank Atlus Co., Ltd. and my family for accompanying me. I would also like to thank Kodansha for giving me a chance to take on the challenge.

I hope you will enjoy the music of Shoji Meguro as well as the games I am currently working on.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/10/com...ABBV0Tj4HnsSFY3bodi3V8u7h6NAIijabTL-NqaI6k8nc

Tschumi

That's how these things should go down. Gotta appreciate Japanese men who can work some emotional IQ into the restrictive business terms they're obligated to speak in at times like this.

Oh no!
However, I will continue to maintain a good relationship with Atlus. While focusing on my own indie game development, I will continue to work with Atlus on game music, so I hope that those of you who were concerned about the sudden announcement will feel relieved.
Oh yay!

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I wonder what will happen to the future Persona games music, fuck.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Oh man, I was ready to be upset, but to see that he's going into game dev himself is so cool. He's so comfortable in the musical realm but it looks like he has a passion to do more than that!

Looking forward to see what he makes.

I wonder what will happen to the future Persona games music, fuck.

Shoji said he'll keep working with Atlus. So hopefully they can figure out a schedule. I think it takes longer to make a Persona game than to score it anyways.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Says he will still make music for them so not the end of the world. But his music is a huge part of the franchises.

killatopak

I’m not as optimistic about him still making music for Atlus. I read one of the comments on this article and felt the same.

Basically, this is the same deal as Nobuo Uematsu when he turrned free lance. Sure his music is still there in the FF games but aside from a couple of songs, most of them feature SE’s in-house composers and doesn’t fully feature him anymore.

Sure, maybe because Uematsu’s health started dropping that it led to him being featured less but making a game would lessen his involvement to Atlus as well.

Hopefully, this isn’t the case and he will still be the main composer for SMT and Persona.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Hopefully, this isn’t the case and he will still be the main composer for SMT and Persona.
He himself said that he still would do the music for Atlus but this time as freelancer. Something we all have to accept that nothing ever stays the same, things change and he simplely wanted purse his own project.

Last edited:

Merkades

An unpopular take in this thread, but I never liked the music in the Persona/SMT games. I don't know if I dislike the art style or the music more to be honest. I still buy these games, though I am not sure why. My steelbook P5 is still sitting beneath my TV unplayed since launch.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Interested to see what he is working on, although there's virtually no chance it'll get localised.

Danjin44

I still buy these games, though I am not sure why.
problem.gif

You just wasting money for no good reason.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Loved his work specially on SMT III and Persona 5, so here's hoping they find a way to keep working together.

But hey, if this means that now we'll get his music on both Atlus's and his own games... That's good news.

Merkades

O-N-E O-N-E and Danjin44 Danjin44 Have you ever had a game/series you really wanted to like but either didn't or not as much as you hoped? I bought Mirror's Edge 3 times hoping to like it more as I upgraded platforms (the game was ugly and had poor performance when it launched...it still is ugly). I finally got close to the end, but I finally had to admit that I only like the idea and music in that game (still listen to Lisa Miskofsky's Still Alive).

But yeah, I waste money at times. And yeah, it probably is a bit of a problem, good thing I don't gamble.

Lastly... yeah, I know insert Vaas insanity gif.

Miles708

For a second i had a heart attack, might as well just close atlus if Meguro jumps ship.
Thankfully he'll continue working as freelance.

demonstr8

I did not see that coming but I'm happy for him and glad he's doing what he wants to. Still very eagerly anticipating Project Re Fantasy.

Kuranghi

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Kind of surprising he actually stayed that long. SQEX composers all went indie years ago, but still take on contracts for SQEX games.

Porcile

Being something like a freelance creator/artist is basically the only way you break free of art as strictly a profession in Japan. Otherwise you are still basically a salaryman but just doing something creative.

Last edited:
Seems like freelancing is the natural progression path for a lot of Japanese creatives, especially composers. Uematsu, Mitsuda, Hamauzu etc...

It's a relief that Meguro is still working with Atlus, I can't imagine anyone else composing for the Persona series.

Curious to see what his indie game is like.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A lot of people posting about his work on the Persona series, and here I am thinking he peaked at SMT Nocturne.

Imagine having already 3 normal battle themes, but not happy with that the mad man made 8 different guitar solos for each one of the normal battle tracks, so each battle theme would sound different depending on the current moonphase in the game.
Sad thing is, those tracks were so long they had to compress the fuck out of them, so they kinda sound like shit.

Oh, and he also made all the vocals in those songs with a text-to-speech software, which is cool.

Danjin44

Have you ever had a game/series you really wanted to like but either didn't or not as much as you hoped?
But you said that you keep buying it........why? If you don't enjoy the series then why bother waiting money on it. Everyone have different taste, so you better off just buying the you do enjoy.

Nezzeroth

His Digital Devil Saga work is still one of my favorite OSTs ever. I'll follow him no matter what he wants to do.

Top Bottom