• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Short lived trends in gaming?

Seeing big Japanese devs leave or abandon the stability of big Japanese game companies for crowdfunding a project was an interesting point in gaming. But that hype for big-name dev going indie was then and gone.

what are some other short-lived trends in gaming?

For a good few years every company was trying to cash in on World of Warcraft by developing some sort of MMO with a subscription. Pretty much all of the failed.

i was going to make this one its own thread for the longest but i think it could be mentioned here...its very obscure:

black or brown-skinned female characters/avatar on game art promotion as the focus
OZZcFvf.jpg

Vjodan7.png

I'm sure I've seen more but this only stands out because its always the "go-to" person of color. could be a reach on my part

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Remember when console games were getting released with stereoscopic 3D support? For 3D tvs? Yeah, that. 2009-2011 seemed to be the hayday for this.

Mostly games on their third entry at the time: Assassin's Creed III, Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, Gears of War 3, Killzone 3, Crysis 3, Doom 3 BFG Edition, and Max Payne 3, to name a few.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The Attitude Era of gaming with explosive blood and guts, the fuck word and titties. The Anti-Sarkeesian, where power fantasies were okay, women were used as a reward for Link and Mario, and gamers (of both genders) just had fun with it, because it was a game, first and foremost, and not a sobering commentary of the social woes and injustices of our terrible, awful (much, much better than a hundred years ago) world. Where gaming reviews judged the product on how it played, and not who played it. Where reviews had a score from 1-10 at the end because we weren't concerned about the fragility of the reader if our score didn't match up with theirs. No tweets about the newest sequel being "The Schindler's List," of videogames, but tons of demo discs and 30 second adverts slamming the competition. The era of mascots, and not token representation. Seems pretty short lived to me, bruh.

Kuranghi

Remember when console games were getting released with stereoscopic 3D support? For 3D tvs? Yeah, that. 2009-2011 seemed to be the hayday for this.

Mostly games on their third entry at the time: Assassin's Creed III, Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, Gears of War 3, Killzone 3, Crysis 3, Doom 3 BFG Edition, and Max Payne 3, to name a few.

Do I need a PS3 to play Max Payne 3 and Uncharted 3 in 3D? I have the Sonys last best 3D TV but I've never played anything in 3D on it.

The need to make every major single-player game into an online experience. Thank goodness. I can't take any more Resident Evil 5s or Dead Space 3s. They even felt the need to add an online mode for stuff like Mass Effect 3.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do I need a PS3 to play Max Payne 3 and Uncharted 3 in 3D? I have the Sonys last best 3D TV but I've never played anything in 3D on it.
Yeah. The PS4 also supports outputting in stereoscopic 3D, but the list of games is pretty shit. Trine 2, Kickbeat, Zen Pinball 2, Sniper Elite 2, and Super Stardust Ultra is pretty much it.

Unfortunately, the PS4 version of Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection didn't have the 3D version of the last game. And of course, the PS4 couldn't play PS3 games - so your best bet is to find a PS3.

Kuranghi

Yeah. The PS4 also supports outputting in stereoscopic 3D, but the list of games is pretty shit. Trine 2, Kickbeat, Zen Pinball 2, Sniper Elite 2, and Super Stardust Ultra is pretty much it.

Unfortunately, the PS4 version of Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection didn't have the 3D version of the last game. And of course, the PS4 couldn't play PS3 games - so your best bet is to find a PS3.

I have a fat PS3, does it matter the type of PS3? I guess I just need to get some 3D glasses then, sweet! I'm bidding on some on ebay now.

I can't wait to try Wipeout HD, Uncharted 3 and Shadow of the Colossus & Ico Collection in 3D. I couldn't find anything saying MP3 was 3D tho, you sure about that one? That would be sweet though.

I was about to hook it up again to play Ratchet & Clank 3 and Into the Nexus on it so good timing. Hopefully its okay :lollipop_worried:

Last edited:

jshackles

I have a fat PS3, does it matter the type of PS3? I guess I just need to get some 3D glasses then, sweet! I'm bidding on some on ebay now.

I can't wait to try Wipeout HD, Uncharted 3 and Shadow of the Colossus & Ico Collection in 3D. I couldn't find anything saying MP3 was 3D tho, you sure about that one? That would be sweet though.

I was about to hook it up again to play Ratchet & Clank 3 and Into the Nexus on it so good timing. Hopefully its okay :lollipop_worried:

This list says it has native 3D via standard HDMI. Also:

iu

"3D Compatible Game"

I believe you can turn it on in the game's settings.

EDIT: sorry I guess you meant Max Payne 3. Apparently (according to that list) it was only available in 3D on compatible PCs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom