• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Crossplay between Console & PC Always be optional?

Should Console Crossplay with PC ALWAYS be optional

• Always Optional

Votes: 140 88.6%
  • Always Mandatory

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters

Mung

Always optional.

Switching it off is one of the first things I do when I boot up an online playstation game for the first time.

If its mandatory in a game I simply won't play it.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Ahh. I remember the legendary battles between Team Green and Team Blue over crossplay benefits. Now that I think about it, there hasn't been very many issues that wasn't viewed that way.
I play crossplay sometimes but it's so good PlayStation only lobbies where the only cheats are Cronus zens. PC and Xbox player's were absolutely tortured by hackers on verdansk. Caldera improved a lot.

darrylgorn

Halo_Infinite.png

Skifi28

It should always be mandatory.

What do you mean you don't want to play against cheaters or people with m&k? Grow a pair and git gud.

HTK

Banned
The whole I don’t want to play against mouse and keyboard players is funny because Warzone favors the controller quite a bit.

Always optional! How did we get to a point where the DEFAULT OPTION in our console game is with cross play set to ON? Right from the getgo, these piece of shit developers and publishers have created an unfair playing environment.

This is seriously outrageous and I'm not even into myltiplayer games these days. I just can't stand the amount of bullshit that's continually introduced into gaming and the sad state of gamers who don't seem to mind getting screwed over like this.

Crossplay is fine to have as a feature but it should NEVER be the fucking default setting!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes. It'll keep the online user base higher.

Just give gamers options to play on their hardware only, and user controller filters. This will help prevent cheaters (often PC skewed) and control schemes (console gamers on gamepad and PC users kb/m) from unbalancing the game.

I dont play RTS games. I dont know if any are cross plat between PC and console. But imagine cross plat play between a guy using a game pad vs. a kb/m gamer.

Not only should it be optional, it should never be on by default. Having it on by default is as good having Crossplay as our only option because by doing so the devs has just skewed the numbers completely towards crossplay.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It's not just about cheaters it's that m + k has a huge advantage over controller. Unless you're a PC player how can you be OK with this? Do you not want a fair playing field for your games? Seriously.

nobody tell this guy you can use m+kb on consoles now

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Depends.

No in team based FPS games. Controllers players bring down the entire squad, outside of 1 or 2 games.

Individual FPS play? Sure, free kills are always welcome 😝

I don't think I've ever run into console player in VC using a KB & mouse in games.

Rykan

It's not just about cheaters it's that m + k has a huge advantage over controller. Unless you're a PC player how can you be OK with this? Do you not want a fair playing field for your games? Seriously.
Remember "Input based matchmaking" was supposed to be a thing? Devs said that matchmaking will be based entirely on which input method you're using (M&K play with M&K, Controllers with controllers) and that basically turned out to be straight up lie and the entire industry just moved on like this promise was never made?

'cause I remember.

Until we finally create the evolution of the controller that finally exceeds the concept of a right joystick and what it can do, yes. It should be optional.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Tell that to Halo Infinite players where the controller aimbot is so strong that they don't even need to aim to get kills.

Lasha

A good PC player will always look like a cheater to a console player in any game with aiming. Mouse and keyboard provide too much of a precision advantage unless the console player gets even more auto aim and tracking assist. Let lobbies be optional for aim games and open for everything else.

theclaw135

Banned
A good PC player will always look like a cheater to a console player in any game with aiming. Mouse and keyboard provide too much of a precision advantage unless the console player gets even more auto aim and tracking assist. Let lobbies be optional for aim games and open for everything else.

It's more that developers are being cheap, or cut features so players to get people to buy both versions.
Console versions leave out mouse and keyboard support for no good reason, when it should be available through standard APIs/libraries provided by the OS.
(and, while less relevant, PC versions leave out local splitscreen for no good reason. even if the game was originally developed on PC)

Lasha

It's more that developers are being cheap, or cut features so players to get people to buy both versions.
Console versions leave out mouse and keyboard support for no good reason, when it should be available through standard APIs/libraries provided by the OS.
(and, while less relevant, PC versions leave out local splitscreen for no good reason. even if the game was originally developed on PC)
It's more about fairness. Major shooters support native kmb on consoles. They also force kmb users into mixed platform lobbies due to the advantage that kbm gives. Most KBM players don't want that. They want the advantage of KBM while partying with their friends and crushing other console players. Cheats like Chronus devices and similar are examples of the mindset. I can definitely see developers not bothering to put native kbm if there is no crossplay or if they don't want to implement input based lobbies.

theclaw135

Banned
It's more about fairness. Major shooters support native kmb on consoles. They also force kmb users into mixed platform lobbies due to the advantage that kbm gives. Most KBM players don't want that. They want the advantage of KBM while partying with their friends and crushing other console players. Cheats like Chronus devices and similar are examples of the mindset. I can definitely see developers not bothering to put native kbm if there is no crossplay or if they don't want to implement input based lobbies.

Wouldn't it be easier for consoles to stipulate in the technical certification requirements that online shooters shall support native kmb?

Lasha

Wouldn't it be easier for consoles to stipulate in the technical certification requirements that online shooters shall support native kmb?

Definitely but to what benefit? You would have to also stipulate input based lobbies and other things which the consolemakers have little interest in.

jigglet

Banned
If mouse and keyboard are an advantage then yes otherwise no. Match making sucks in many non-tier 1 games outside of the US and Europe. Keep that player base big.

Last edited:
Top Bottom