• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy a gaming PC?

Wildebeest

Steam deck might be fun for you but don't get into high end PC gaming to future proof yourself if you don't have a ton of disposable cash.

buenoblue

I have a ps5. I also have a modest gaming pc. 5600x 2070 super with 1440p gsync monitor. And honestly I couldn't be without either. I like to kick back on the couch playing uncharted and assassin's Creed type stuff, but having the option to play mouse and keyboard shooters and rts games is great too. Also stuff like rocket league @165 fps is just a game changer. Add to that all the miriad of things you can do with a decent pc from music, editing even making games it's a no brainer to have a decent pc in the home.

Thebonehead

Banned
This thread still going? Op said he wasn't going to go PC

So overall that solves my question. Not going PC gaming. I already have too many games for consoles and I hate kb & m gaming as well as same 23 games on PC on console and lastly I already have too much debt to pay. Thanks all!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If you care about best graphics, five times the framerate, and superior keyboard and mouse input for aiming games, and have access to games across all generations, then pc is the only choice.

If you don't really care and want a budget entry just stay with consoles.

David B

An Idiot
If you care about best graphics, five times the framerate, and superior keyboard and mouse input for aiming games, and have access to games across all generations, then pc is the only choice.

If you don't really care and want a budget entry just stay with consoles.
Tried kb & m for a year, hate it. I just want a basic PC as I watched a youtube video of a similar guy like me, used apple for so long and switched to PC because it has more inputs and costs less and supports more file types.

saintjules

If you're about playing exclusive games, specifically Playstation ones, you will be waiting a couple of years before they hit the platform. This is unless of course Sony decides to close the gap on their big games hitting PC. Otherwise I'd just stick to Console.

There are some PC only games. If they look good to you, build a PC to your taste or future proof it a bit so that you can handle such games.

I already own PS12345, GameCube, Wii, Xbox, 360, Series X. I own over 600 games already on all those consoles. All the games I have on steam, ea, origin, epic games I already own on consoles. It's obvious not to right? I'm just worried that there won't be next gen consoles so PC is the future. But it's only been 2 years of PS5, Xbox series. Opinion?

That depends, the strength of PC gaming lies in its logevity and customizability. It's always worth it since you'll have endless backwards compatibility and strong 3rd party support (basically 99% of everything is on PC, besides Nintendo). Also, those games are better on a PC because you'll have options. They'll also have a much stronger community years down the line.

Besides that, you'll have access to "free" remasters that you can mold yourself. For example, Fallout: New Vegas, while fantastic, is built on a shit engine that was outdated the moment it released and time hasn't been kind to it. Besides that, it wasn't even finished completely. Can't even imagine playing that on consoles. But with 10 minutes if your time invested (which i'll pay 2 dollar for) you can add my (personal) list:

Essential plugins/bugfix patches to make stuff work (added in this order):

1. New Vegas Script Extender (xNVSE)
2. JIP LN NVSE Plugin
3. JohnnyGuitar NVSE
4. UIO - User Interface Organizer
5. ISControl Enabler and Ironsights adjuster
6. kNVSE Animation Plugin
7. lStewieAl's Tweaks and Engine Fixes
8. ShowOff NVSE Plugin
9. Yukichigai Unofficial Patch - YUP
10. The Mod Configuration Menu (MCM)

Essential mods related to graphics to make stuff as polished as possible (added in this order):

1. New Vegas Mesh Improvement Mod
2. Skinned Mesh Improvement Mod
3. Improved Lighting Shaders
4. NMCs Texture Pack (Small Version) - just wanted something quick to improve some of the textures, huge difference even with the small pack. I didn't add the larger versions because the difference aren't that big and that shit engine can't handle it.

Essential mods related to gunplay (added in this order):

1. Weapon Mesh Improvement Mod
2. Simplified Weapon Retexture Project
3. Hitman47101's Anniversary Anim Pack and Season 1, 2 and 3 - better animations and sound effects.
4. Real Recoil - smooth, realistic recoil.
5. (JAM) Just Assorted Mods - adds stuff life sprint, a quick loot menu, a dynamic crosshair and more. Massively improves the general gameplay, and is a must.

Essential mods related to the User Interface (added in this order):

1. DarnUI
2. Consistent Pip-Boy Icons
3. High Res Local Maps
4. High Resolution Screens

Then Clarity (Darker Nights version) so i could remove the orange tint, and particulary this version to make the nights a little darker which improves the atmosphere.

Finally JSawyer Ultimate Edition. This is my favorite, JSawyer was a mod created by the lead designer of Fallout: New Vegas, Josh Sawyer, adressing many balance changes and bugs unable to be fixed in the 18-month development window for Fallout: New Vegas. JSawyer Ultimate Edition is basically the final version of the game with a lot more extra polish. Makes the game more difficult, but far more balanced and satisfying to play.

Besides NMC, i think all of those combined are like 500mb. Which will give you access to a bonafied remaster which is finished, polished to near perfection (30 hours in, no crash), wrapped in a silky smooth User Interface, full with Quality of Life improvements and with genuine good gameplay. Which you can play in 4k at 60 FPS.

Ditto for Fallout 3, and the older ones - the original Fallout and Fallout 2 (which you should play, no "UOHHO h4vEn'T aG3D W33ll!!!" problems). I'd never play these without some QoL mods. You can't do shit on consoles if the engine powering the game becomes hopelessly outdated to the point it impedes your enjoyment. On PC, you can polish the shit out of it to standards that will yield that positive experience you want. For free.

Thebonehead

Banned
That depends, the strength of PC gaming lies in its logevity and customizability. It's always worth it since you'll have endless backwards compatibility and strong 3rd party support (basically 99% of everything is on PC, besides Nintendo). Also, those games are better on a PC because you'll have options. They'll also have a much stronger community years down the line.

Besides that, you'll have access to "free" remasters that you can mold yourself. For example, Fallout: New Vegas, while fantastic, is built on a shit engine that was outdated the moment it released and time hasn't been kind to it. Besides that, it wasn't even finished completely. Can't even imagine playing that on consoles. But with 10 minutes if your time invested (which i'll pay 2 dollar for) you can add my (personal) list:

Essential plugins/bugfix patches to make stuff work (added in this order):

1. New Vegas Script Extender (xNVSE)
2. JIP LN NVSE Plugin
3. JohnnyGuitar NVSE
4. UIO - User Interface Organizer
5. ISControl Enabler and Ironsights adjuster
6. kNVSE Animation Plugin
7. lStewieAl's Tweaks and Engine Fixes
8. ShowOff NVSE Plugin
9. Yukichigai Unofficial Patch - YUP
10. The Mod Configuration Menu (MCM)

Essential mods related to graphics to make stuff as polished as possible (added in this order):

1. New Vegas Mesh Improvement Mod
2. Skinned Mesh Improvement Mod
3. Improved Lighting Shaders
4. NMCs Texture Pack (Small Version) - just wanted something quick to improve some of the textures, huge difference even with the small pack. I didn't add the larger versions because the difference aren't that big and that shit engine can't handle it.

Essential mods related to gunplay (added in this order):

1. Weapon Mesh Improvement Mod
2. Simplified Weapon Retexture Project
3. Hitman47101's Anniversary Anim Pack and Season 1, 2 and 3 - better animations and sound effects.
4. Real Recoil - smooth, realistic recoil.
5. (JAM) Just Assorted Mods - adds stuff life sprint, a quick loot menu, a dynamic crosshair and more. Massively improves the general gameplay, and is a must.

Essential mods related to the User Interface (added in this order):

1. DarnUI
2. Consistent Pip-Boy Icons
3. High Res Local Maps
4. High Resolution Screens

Then Clarity (Darker Nights version) so i could remove the orange tint, and particulary this version to make the nights a little darker which improves the atmosphere.

Finally JSawyer Ultimate Edition. This is my favorite, JSawyer was a mod created by the lead designer of Fallout: New Vegas, Josh Sawyer, adressing many balance changes and bugs unable to be fixed in the 18-month development window for Fallout: New Vegas. JSawyer Ultimate Edition is basically the final version of the game with a lot more extra polish. Makes the game more difficult, but far more balanced and satisfying to play.

Besides NMC, i think all of those combined are like 500mb. Which will give you access to a bonafied remaster which is finished, polished to near perfection (30 hours in, no crash), wrapped in a silky smooth User Interface, full with Quality of Life improvements and with genuine good gameplay. Which you can play in 4k at 60 FPS.

Ditto for Fallout 3, and the older ones - the original Fallout and Fallout 2 (which you should play, no "UOHHO h4vEn'T aG3D W33ll!!!" problems). I'd never play these without some QoL mods. You can't do shit on consoles if the engine powering the game becomes hopelessly outdated to the point it impedes your enjoyment. On PC, you can polish the shit out of it to standards that will yield that positive experience you want. For free.
This sounds interesting.

Got any videos of this running? Also does gamepass NewVegas support the above mods?

Chiggs

A PC is the best gaming platform money can buy. But here's the thing: if you don't spend at least $2-3k, it's really not worth it, because the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X are decent machines that can be had for a lot less money.

But it's what a PC can do outside of gaming that is truly special.
  • A PC can help you learn coding, and help you build overall technical acumen, especially if you're building one from the ground up.
  • It also allows for creative endeavors, like 3D rendering and video editing.
My advice: take the plunge, but don't cheap out. If that means saving, then save.

I already own PS12345, GameCube, Wii, Xbox, 360, Series X. I own over 600 games already on all those consoles. All the games I have on steam, ea, origin, epic games I already own on consoles. It's obvious not to right? I'm just worried that there won't be next gen consoles so PC is the future. But it's only been 2 years of PS5, Xbox series. Opinion?
So in short, you don't actually want a PC, but you're afraid you might eventually need one because consoles might "die" at some unspecified time in the future.

Absolutely terrible idea. If you buy one now and consoles do in fact die, then it'll be outdated by the time it happens. If consoles live on you'll have bought a PC for nothing. Don't waste your money.

Graciaus

Out of curiousity, what did you hate by it, and what type of games do you usually play?
I'm not who you quoted but I hate movement with a keyboard. Using a mouse and especially the keyboard hurts my wrist much faster than a controller would. It's also hard to ignore the 25+ years experience with a controller. I recognized it is a superior input method for selecting/aiming but it isn't for me.

Filben

Money is an issue. I have a credit card with about $500 debt. Also $838 to Dell for a year old order with there store loan. So overall $1338 debt I owe. I should make paying my debt off more of the priority than buying more stuff with a credit card again. I don't want more debt of course.
Dude why you're even considering then? For own sake, get rid of that ASAP.

For the love of God folks, you don't know how many messages I get on eBay that go like "can I pay at the end of the month?" for a 100–200 EUR item.

The same goes for 1000–2000. Being ABLE to buy and affording something are completely different things.

Especially today you can buy anything because banks will give you credit until you're broke and another shark comes and lend you money until you broke for the rest of your life. I'm not even exaggerating.

Seriously, if you don't have the money (because you own it so someone) you don't have the money. That's simple.

Stop googling about the items you want, stop with the comparing prices and made up reasons that somehow justify a purchase with money you don't have.

I lived for five years so broke I sometimes didn't know how to manage bills like rent or for food. It took some mighty effort but now I can buy the stuff I want without worrying if I gotta sell a kidney or not. It's an amazing feeling to buy stuff without worry.

Believe me when I tell you that you put unnecessary stress on your mental state, even when you don't consciously feel it, and this is gonna induce further issues.

Sincerely, a concerned citizen.

Personally, I haven't regretted getting a gaming pc for one minute.

I still have a console for exclusives, but use the pc as my primary platform.

Of course, it all comes down to cost and whether it is worth it to the individual.

For me, I got tired of having an inferior experience on PS4.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm not who you quoted but I hate movement with a keyboard. Using a mouse and especially the keyboard hurts my wrist much faster than a controller would. It's also hard to ignore the 25+ years experience with a controller. I recognized it is a superior input method for selecting/aiming but it isn't for me.
That's fair.

I grew up with keyboard and mouse and can't live without high precision aiming. I can't hit anything that doesn't have aim assist/auto aim.

Playing Oblivion on xbox atm, I just gave up on casting and went pure melee.

Strafing to aim instead of aiming to aim it something I'd personally will never enjoy. Which is why I also have a Xim adapter.

If consoles became a PC with both options then I'd probably play way more console than pc.

I broke my hand and wrist due to boxing so my wrist all the way up to my little finger can hurt from using a controller which sucks.

El gallo

If you have the income then absolutely. A good gaming pc is expensive, but once you build it and see the performance compared to console’s you’ll be more than happy.

Fyi don’t buy a pre build. Do your homework, pick your parts and build it yourself.

David B

An Idiot
If you have the income then absolutely. A good gaming pc is expensive, but once you build it and see the performance compared to console’s you’ll be more than happy.

Fyi don’t buy a pre build. Do your homework, pick your parts and build it yourself.
I don't do put together. Sure I could do it but the possibility of wrong mobo size for case could happen, wrong cpu model won't work with mobo, the cables insertion, it's all a big headache!

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
if you don't spend at least $2-3k, it's really not worth it, because the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X are decent machines that can be had for a lot less money.
Wrong, because of everything a pc can do (even considering only gaming) that a PS5/XBSX. Pc gaming is not only about performance.

GametimeUK

I wouldn't bother at the moment. PC's are great, but modern titles suffer from shader compilation stutter and run much better on consoles. I'd stick to console gaming for a while until things get back in order. The consoles are putting out great visuals and performance at the moment so I don't think it's massively beneficial.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
that's a shitton of consoles. that being said if you like mods and having total control of your games do it. if you don't give a shit dont pull the trigger
Next gen consoles will exist and continue to sell, you're at no risk of losing anything

GametimeUK

You wish. Only a few titles have this and the problem stops after a while. Plus you still get better everything else of pc version advantages.

Why are you saying "you wish"? I don't know what you're implying there. Let's get this straight I'd much rather have played Stray on my PC, but the bottom line is it runs better on PS5. The stutter on PC is insufferable. PC titles are plagued with stutter at the moment.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Why are you saying "you wish"? I don't know what you're implying there. Let's get this straight I'd much rather have played Stray on my PC, but the bottom line is it runs better on PS5. The stutter on PC is insufferable. PC titles are plagued with stutter at the moment.
Because the way you said implies that every modern title has stuttering. It's only a few that are DX12 and don't have pre compilation. Stray runs flawless here as it is DX11. The problems people were having with stray are not related with shaders compilation.

Fredrik

Yeah after 10 years I still don’t have it all in muscle memory and digital movement is so 1995. I do play first person games with mouse and keyboard but I’m not good at it. I play all third person games with controller. Elden Ring, Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed, etc.

GametimeUK

Because the way you said implies that every modern title has stuttering. It's only a few that are DX12 and don't have pre compilation. Stray runs flawless here as it is DX11. The problems people were having with stray are not related with shaders compilation.
hZmV0Tu.jpg

Unless the game has been patched since then, but who the hell wants to wait for patches when it's stutter free on console day 1? Not me that's for sure. I look forward to playing these games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom