• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy a gaming PC?

With all the Xbox exclusives and lots of Playstation exclusives also coming to PC there isn´t really a reason to own a console anymore.

Just hook up your PC to a TV, get an xbox controller and you essentially have a console that is atleast a generation ahead of PS5 with a much, much bigger game library.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you FORCE DX12, that not only is not the default render as you also lose performance.

Now tell us how the ps5 version can go above 60fps, have minimum input lag, 21+/9 aspect, almost perfect IQ at 4k, etc, etc...

oh yeah pcgmaingwiki.
There is always something to change on every game.
For sure user should go and change api with command line... why is this still accepted

GametimeUK

If you FORCE DX12, that not only is not the default render as you also lose performance.

Now tell us how the ps5 version can go above 60fps, have minimum input lag, 21+/9 aspect, almost perfect IQ at 4k, etc, etc...

QAO0Zfr.jpg

Come on lad you're just being silly now. Everyone was talking about the stutter I don't understand why you're trying to downplay it. All those things you listed are useless if the game is a stuttering mess. I hope they've fixed it by now. What's next from you? Elden Ring doesn't suffer from stutter either? Another game I had to play on console.

I still don't get why you started the conversation with "you wish" though. I think you're the one with the PC agenda who wishes their games wouldn't stutter and then deny that consoles actually run smoother a lot of the time at the moment.

I primarily play on PC myself, but it is what it is. Platform is on its arse at the moment. Even when it's not shader compilation stutter it's some kind of stutter.

RE8 stutter, FF7 Remake stutter, Elden Ring stutter, Stray stutter, Ghostwire Tokyo stutter,

Many more, but I'm not going to waste my time with a list war or going back and forth with someone who is in denial and pushing a PC agenda. I'm embarrassed I've even give you this much attention to be honest. The facts are there with a quick Google search for OP.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
oh yeah pcgmaingwiki.
The same pcgamingwiki states API DX11 (the default API), but of course you didn't read that there or even less, played the game on pc to know...
QAO0Zfr.jpg

Come on lad you're just being silly now. Everyone was talking about the stutter I don't understand why you're trying to downplay it. All those things you listed are useless if the game is a stuttering mess. I hope they've fixed it by now. What's next from you? Elden Ring doesn't suffer from stutter either? Another game I had to play on console.

I still don't get why you started the conversation with "you wish" though. I think you're the one with the PC agenda who wishes their games wouldn't stutter and then deny that consoles actually run smoother a lot of the time at the moment.

I primarily play on PC myself, but it is what it is. Platform is on its arse at the moment. Even when it's not shader compilation stutter it's some kind of stutter.

RE8 stutter, FF7 Remake stutter, Elden Ring stutter, Stray stutter, Ghostwire Tokyo stutter,

Many more, but I'm not going to waste my time with a list war or going back and forth with someone who is in denial and pushing a PC agenda. I'm embarrassed I've even give you this much attention to be honest. The facts are there with a quick Google search for OP.
Playing Stray in DX11 (default) and not having any stutter = denial. Sure, lad.

When it's not shader compilation there are other kind of stutter, sure, lad. It's I that have an agenda. You forgot about no TV, couch and controller gaming, video driver reverse engineering needed, etc, etc...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The same pcgamingwiki states API DX11 (the default API), but of course you didn't read that there or even less, played the game on pc to know...

Playing Stray in DX11 (default) and not having any stutter = denial. Sure, lad.

When it's not shader compilation there are other kind of stutter, sure, lad. It's I that have an agenda.
It stutters in default mode. Everyone reported on it.
What's the deal?

Fredrik

With all the Xbox exclusives and lots of Playstation exclusives also coming to PC there isn´t really a reason to own a console anymore.

Just hook up your PC to a TV, get an xbox controller and you essentially have a console that is atleast a generation ahead of PS5 with a much, much bigger game library.
Sony is too scared that day 1 PC versions will hurt the console sales, so have fun waiting then I guess.

Last edited:

yurinka

I already own PS12345, GameCube, Wii, Xbox, 360, Series X. I own over 600 games already on all those consoles. All the games I have on steam, ea, origin, epic games I already own on consoles. It's obvious not to right? I'm just worried that there won't be next gen consoles so PC is the future. But it's only been 2 years of PS5, Xbox series. Opinion?
I think all 3 manufacturers, or at least Sony and Nintendo confirmed they'll make new consoles.

The console market continues growing as has been doing for a gazillion years and both Sony and Nintendo are performing better than ever. It would be stupid for them to consider to quit consoles.

The main market for AAA games is PS and is the one with the biggest amount of big console exclusives (even if now publish on PC most 3rd party ones and a few of the 1st party ones per year) and Nintendo will continue releasing their games only for their own machine.

If you're ok with spending a good chunk on hardware and miss many console exclusives then you'll be fine with PC. If not I'd continue with consoles.

Last edited:

Chronicle

I already own PS12345, GameCube, Wii, Xbox, 360, Series X. I own over 600 games already on all those consoles. All the games I have on steam, ea, origin, epic games I already own on consoles. It's obvious not to right? I'm just worried that there won't be next gen consoles so PC is the future. But it's only been 2 years of PS5, Xbox series. Opinion?
I don't think you have the balls or the cash.

So dont

David B

An Idiot

However consoles are cheaper than a gaming PC. Don't get started on the but PCgames are cheaper so really you save more. $500 console+ $70 game = $570. $1200 PC + $50 game = $1250. Plus about 10 to 20 % of games don't work on pc and need to find code stuff for it to work.

However consoles are cheaper than a gaming PC. Don't get started on the but PCgames are cheaper so really you save more. $500 console+ $70 game = $570. $1200 PC + $50 game = $1250. Plus about 10 to 20 % of games don't work on pc and need to find code stuff for it to work.
In the short term they are cheaper, but long term it does add up. Say a console gen lasts 10 years if you buy 12 full priced AAA games a year and xbox live/sony online every year that´s atleast $3000 you save by gaming on PC each console gen. If you are on console you also have to buy a mid gen refresh console like PS4 Pro to get the most out of the exclusives. Also theoretically you only need to spend roughly $1200 on a PC once and then the next time you upgrade you can spend significantly less since you only need to buy a new GPU and that GPU will still run circles around the next generation of consoles.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Best option would probably be to get a Steam Deck.

Play your games on a cheap PS4-tier handheld device, pick up the new games that interest you and aren't on any other consoles yet, give yourself emulator options to cover the old platforms, and mask the whole PC gaming learning curve with another built in "console" experience.

As far as buying or building a new desktop, the world is a burning dumpster fire economically. It's your money to burn, but if it was me, I wouldn't invest too heavily into anything now, especially if already owning XSX and PS5.

David B

An Idiot
How... did you come to this conclusion?
The Xbox series x closest gpu equivalent is the rx 6700 xt. It's noted that the 6700 xt gets up to 1440p 120 fps or 1600p 60 fps. CoD games are not in 4K as we would get 30 fps and lower. It's also noted on articles the 3070 is good for 1440p and more than 120 fps but also good for 30 to 60 fps on 4K. The 6700 xt is actually noted as best for 1440p gaming. Sure consoles could jump to 6900 xt graphics next as it makes the most sense. However MS and Sony don't want to lose over 500 on console sales therefore next consoles may start at least 700 USD. XSX and PS5 disc 500, next gen more powerful. Plus Sony putting there exclusives on PC may mean a move to PC and no more consoles.

TrebleShot

I’ve been going back and forth on this for about a month or so, I have the cash and could get a top spec PC that would probably last around 5-8 years and demolish anything console wise in terms of RAW spec but to be honest I can’t be bothered with it.

The PS5 is a beautifully designed console and balanced very well in terms of power and engineering, ultimately it comes down to playing a game in 4k60 or 1600p60 or 4k40 with exclusives it’s just diminishing returns and im playing on a 77” Tv.

I also got the steam deck around two weeks ago and it scratches that PC gaming itch and along with remote play on both Xbox and PS5 there’s no need for a dedicated gaming PC.

There were a couple of points that made the decision easier for me , H FW is probably the best looking game on the market atm and runs at 4k40 and is cross gen. There will almost certainly be a PS5 pro in the next year or two.

Don’t forget as well a gaming PC with similar specs to a PS5 won’t perform as well, there is far more to the arch of a console than just the standard stick CPU / GPU together and you’ll beat it out, shared memory pool, low level API access, standardised SSD speeds etc etc.

You can’t compare say a 3070 or AMD card with similar specs because it’s not a closed unified system.

A pc gaming tower is an ugly piece of shit in the living room doesn’t matter what you say about beautiful builds etc it’s still a clunky square that kicks out heat and in most cases a bunch of noise at the top end.

I did look into meshlicious cases and small form
Factor builds that do look very cool but STILL it’s diminishing returns and I’d rather play 800p handheld and have the ease of portability and the optimisation of the power available there.

Maybe in a months time or early next year I’ll look into it again or if we see more edge cases like plague tale or Gotham knights but honestly both are just horribly optimised games.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
I’ve been going back and forth on this for about a month or so, I have the cash and could get a top spec PC that would probably last around 5-8 years and demolish anything console wise in terms of RAW spec but to be honest I can’t be bothered with it.

The PS5 is a beautifully designed console and balanced very well in terms of power and engineering, ultimately it comes down to playing a game in 4k60 or 1600p60 or 4k40 with exclusives it’s just diminishing returns and im playing on a 77” Tv.

I also got the steam deck around two weeks ago and it scratches that PC gaming itch and along with remote play on both Xbox and PS5 there’s no need for a dedicated gaming PC.

There were a couple of points that made the decision easier for me , H FW is probably the best looking game on the market atm and runs at 4k40 and is cross gen. There will almost certainly be a PS5 pro in the next year or two.

Don’t forget as well a gaming PC with similar specs to a PS5 won’t perform as well, there is far more to the arch of a console than just the standard stick CPU / GPU together and you’ll beat it out, shared memory pool, low level API access, standardised SSD speeds etc etc.

You can’t compare say a 3070 or AMD card with similar specs because it’s not a closed unified system.

A pc gaming tower is an ugly piece of shit in the living room doesn’t matter what you say about beautiful builds etc it’s still a clunky square that kicks out heat and in most cases a bunch of noise at the top end.

Factor builds that do look very cool but STILL it’s diminishing returns and I’d rather play 800p handheld and have the ease of portability and the optimisation of the power available there.

Maybe in a months time or early next year I’ll look into it again or if we see more edge cases like plague tale or Gotham knights but honestly both are just horribly optimised games.
Simply put, gaming PCs cost way too much. PS5 $400 or 500 + $60 PS+ + $70 game = $630 or 530. PC $1500 + 50 game = 1550. Consoles more affordable, gaming PC rich people only.

Modern PC hardware is just a really bad value compared to consoles, at least for those like me who don't play much online anymore. Sure, I could build a PC that matches a PS5 for only a few hundred euro more, but using a PC that near the bottom of min req is never a good time. And I certainly won't spend the insane money required for high end hardware.

I would miss the mouse/gyro aiming and the cheap games for sure though. Decisions... for now I will just try to cloud stream what I can.

TrebleShot

Modern PC hardware is just a really bad value compared to consoles, at least for those like me who don't play much online anymore. Sure, I could build a PC that matches a PS5 for only a few hundred euro more, but using a PC that near the bottom of min req is never a good time. And I certainly won't spend the insane money required for high end hardware.

I would miss the mouse/gyro aiming and the cheap games for sure though. Decisions... for now I will just try to cloud stream what I can.
Yeah exactly, I do a bit of cloud streaming too, mostly just to test it out so have the 3080 tier on GFN and Boosteroid and they are more than serviceable. If you want to play something like Dying Light 2 with RT its nice, its a good looking game but then you play it on PS5 and your not missing out on MUCH I mean yes RT looks great and so does the res but you know what so do screen space reflections and the lighting is pretty good too and certainly doesn't ruin the experience. Not to mention as soon as you boot up a game on any PC platform and even the steam deck I have the frame counter on and your almost not playing a game anymore but monitoring your hardware its weird.

Id advise you to look into a steam deck, just explore it, the base model is what 350? then you can put an SD card in or custom SSD. Its really fun to play and use and you have great controller options including Gyro, touch pads, back buttons all configurable, it been very cool for that PC gaming itch, best thing is as most games are running at 800p and the screen is small most games run really well, 40-60fps on most titles (on a smaller screen the fps is more than suitable).

Simply put, gaming PCs cost way too much. PS5 $400 or 500 + $60 PS+ + $70 game = $630 or 530. PC $1500 + 50 game = 1550. Consoles more affordable, gaming PC rich people only.

The cost factor isn't so much a barrier but yes its more expensive and more of an investment and if you are a console gamer your probably used to simply booting up a game selecting performance mode and off you go till you finish the game especially for Sony titles. If you go down the PC route you get a few bells and whistles but you also get all sorts of issues and its more of a tinkerers device, as in be prepared to change your habits, you may prefer a monitor for configuration and you will have several launchers brought together with a third party library app, you'll spend a bit of time sorting settings out and compatibility, then you'll spend a bit of time connecting a controller if you want it etc, Tbh it can be fun but personally I prefer the sofa, big screen, minimal tinkering option and have a steam deck if I want to play something more PC based or emulate something.

It would make more sense to wait and see if new consoles are announced in the future before doing that I imagine. Although if you want to play on PC regardless, do it.

BabyYoda

Banned
It cost me only £700 to build a mid spec PC (not including the monitor) that runs everything @1080p-1440p/60 and I love it. All I would need to upgrade eventually is the graphics card tbh (my RTX 2060 12GB model is fine for now) and I can wait till they come down in price. You'll never look back imho, especially with Sony supporting the PC finally as well. How long till Nintendo begins to support it I wonder?!

Last edited:

Graciaus

The cost factor isn't so much a barrier but yes its more expensive and more of an investment and if you are a console gamer your probably used to simply booting up a game selecting performance mode and off you go till you finish the game especially for Sony titles. If you go down the PC route you get a few bells and whistles but you also get all sorts of issues and its more of a tinkerers device, as in be prepared to change your habits, you may prefer a monitor for configuration and you will have several launchers brought together with a third party library app, you'll spend a bit of time sorting settings out and compatibility, then you'll spend a bit of time connecting a controller if you want it etc, Tbh it can be fun but personally I prefer the sofa, big screen, minimal tinkering option and have a steam deck if I want to play something more PC based or emulate something.
Steam is all you need. You don't have to fiddle with anything 99% of the time. Most modern games auto configure to your specs if not just hit one of the pre configs it's not difficult. Connecting a controller is as simple as pressing two buttons to sync them the same as a console. You can plug your PC into a TV and sit on the couch.

David B

An Idiot
Like I said, all the games I have on steam, epic, ea, origins, already have on consoles. Therefore it be a waste of money to get a gaming pc. Plus I don't care about fps, it doesn't bother me. I just need a regular PC at this point and play some emulators at default settings. N64, NES, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, Wii, GameCube. I've done emulators on Intel graphics before, even with 2x sai and 1080p.

TrebleShot

Steam is all you need. You don't have to fiddle with anything 99% of the time. Most modern games auto configure to your specs if not just hit one of the pre configs it's not difficult. Connecting a controller is as simple as pressing two buttons to sync them the same as a console. You can plug your PC into a TV and sit on the couch.
I hear you, I am also aware of how you can make it work from a couch point of view, but it still doesn't stop the fact that, the PC would be in the living room and a bit of an eye sore, doesn't have quick resume like the consoles and you'd mostly be booting into the desktop - I am aware of big picture mode.

My point is, that PC gaming is fine, it has its benefits but it makes little sense for me to get a high end gaming PC to play the same games in slightly higher fidelity when pro consoles will be ramping up in the next year and I have a steam deck to play the odd game here and there on PC that perform better, a good example would be Mafia 2 and Dragons Dogma.

TheTony316

Money is an issue. I have a credit card with about $500 debt. Also $838 to Dell for a year old order with there store loan. So overall $1338 debt I owe. I should make paying my debt off more of the priority than buying more stuff with a credit card again. I don't want more debt of course.

Do yourself a favour and keep your money. PC gaming is great but it's not worth going into even more debt and you already own both next gen consoles anyway.

Shtef

Money is an issue. I have a credit card with about $500 debt. Also $838 to Dell for a year old order with there store loan. So overall $1338 debt I owe. I should make paying my debt off more of the priority than buying more stuff with a credit card again. I don't want more debt of course.

You have all consoles already, if i were you i would clear the debt first and not spend more money that you don't have on pc.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I've been putting off buying a new PC for a year now, as there's just not enough content for me to warrant it. Last two PC games I bought were the new Monkey Island and Age of Empires IV and they both run more than great on my old rig.

The games I do play are mostly Switch/PS5 exclusive or I'm playing them on the couch (yes that is also possible with a PC, no that is not how I have it set up nor do I want that).

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Plus about 10 to 20 % of games don't work on pc and need to find code stuff for it to work.
They don't work or work with "code stuff"? Choose one. Looks like you are trying to promote against pc gaming and not asking if you should get in.

pay off your debt, dummy.

even if you had the money, it's best to wait.
current consoles play games at PC high settings, and PC prices are still stupid high... so what's the point?
at least wait a year or three till PC image quality starts to smoke consoles and prices are more reasonable.

and build, dont buy.

David B

An Idiot
They don't work or work with "code stuff"? Choose one. Looks like you are trying to promote against pc gaming and not asking if you should get in.
Forget what it's called but like terminal on mac but for Windows. Like games for Windows Live doesn't work anymore so for those games you need some stuf to put in terminal for it to play.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I wouldn't take current ownership into account. Need to look to the future. I think PC is the way to go. Backwards Compatibility is not an issue on PC. You can run games on PC for years after your current hardware becomes outdated. You have some games on PC that never come to console, though that is changing slowly. You'll also have a great workstation. Maybe get into streaming, video or music editing. there's just a lot more versatility with a good PC. I think it's a no brainer. With prices coming down for anything except the latest hardware, I think it's a great time to make the switch. You could either go insane with it and go with the latest GPU, CPU and RAM...but if you want an easier/cheaper way in. Stick with last gen's tech. 30 series GPU, 12th Gen CPUs or Ryzen 5000 series. Some decent DD4 Ram and a good mobo. Then just start saving for when this current gen's prices come down a bit. Also no paying for online services. Gamepass is available on PC. If it's not already, I think Sony will bring it's sub service to PC as well.

PC and Switch is pretty much all you need as long as Sony keeps bringing it's games to PC and hopefully in smaller windows of time

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Forget what it's called but like terminal on mac but for Windows. Like games for Windows Live doesn't work anymore so for those games you need some stuf to put in terminal for it to play.
Last time I tried Gears of War and GTAIV they still worked. If today you have to some do something to work, they still work. Not working = no way to make it work.

PhaseJump

Banned
Money is paper. USA is trillions in debt. And how are the high shadows in WoW on consoles?

"MoNeY iS pApEr!"

7Pb6.gif

Being in debt at a low and still manageable level should be a greater concern than acquiring needless shit for a bump in graphics and WoW of all things.

Inflation and energy costs are rising. Financial hell is coming to crash against our economies this winter. It's a horrible time to borrow money for toys.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No

PhaseJump

Banned
So excluding every reason to have a gaming PC, what's the point in having one. Got it.

7Pb6.gif

Every solid reason to buy a gaming PC has been negated by the OP already having the other platforms, and being unable to afford it already. Waiving the already heavily diminished returns he would be borrowing to buy into for the sake of exclusives, and dismissing money and debt as inconsequential things here, is bullshit advice for the sake of argument.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Every solid reason to buy a gaming PC has been negated by the OP already having the other platforms, and being unable to afford it already. Waiving the already heavily diminished returns he would be borrowing to buy into for the sake of exclusives, and dismissing money and debt as inconsequential things here, is bullshit advice for the sake of argument.
I didn't respond to OP in that post you quoted.

No, its clear that you enjoy playing on consoles and have already invested a lot in the ecosystem on console so why add another expense?

Getting a PC that can do what the PS5 and Series X can isn't going to be cheap and then you have to deal with the pain of troubleshooting when you run into issues with games not running properly.

Personally I prefer consoles and I have tried a few times to get into PC and I just didn't enjoy it because it wasn't a streamlined experienced like on console.

Also the PS5/Series X gen just started so you don't have to worry about what will happen in the future for awhile because this new console gen will be long due to the supply issues and declining economy.

Top Bottom