• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy a gaming PC?

David B

An Idiot
I already own PS12345, GameCube, Wii, Xbox, 360, Series X. I own over 600 games already on all those consoles. All the games I have on steam, ea, origin, epic games I already own on consoles. It's obvious not to right? I'm just worried that there won't be next gen consoles so PC is the future. But it's only been 2 years of PS5, Xbox series. Opinion?

Buggy Loop

do it jewish GIF

scydrex

If money is not a problem for you sure why not? Wait for RDN3 next month and Intel new CPU.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There will be future consoles, so I wouldn’t sweat it. It only makes sense to go PC if you’re interested in taking advantage of everything it has to offer. Not because you’re afraid there won’t be future consoles.

But if you do decide, it’s certainly the platform you can trust to be infinitely forward and backwards compatible.

David B

An Idiot
Pc is the best platform if you've got the money for a decent build.

If money isnt an issue go for it!
Money is an issue. I have a credit card with about $500 debt. Also $838 to Dell for a year old order with there store loan. So overall $1338 debt I owe. I should make paying my debt off more of the priority than buying more stuff with a credit card again. I don't want more debt of course.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
PC is the absolute best platform to play a good majority of games. That's not to mention the hundreds of thousands of fan mods, all the emulation possibilities, or even genres that are damn near impossible to play on consoles. I can play just about every game of the last 40 years in the absolute best fidelity. It's the greatest platform around.

But it can be an investment and the initial cost of entry for enthusiasts-level gaming can be higher than what you'd pay for on current-gen platforms.

If you have everything to play games on and are disinterested in playing games from across the gaming pantheon on one platform, then no, I'd say you don't need a PC. But there are some aboslute amazing classics that still hold up today that can't or shouldn't be played on consoles and that gulf will only grow wider. I can say I've literally had every major console since NES up until the most recent generation of consoles, and I still felt compelled to get a PC when I did because I felt like I was missing a whole side of gaming that I really had no experience with. And when I finally dipped my toes into the water, it was very difficult to go back. Just the amount of choice and options of how you can play any given game gave me reason to go back and replay old console games I'd played dozens of times already and found myself having even better experiences.

Really though, play what you want. Is it worth it? Yes, but understand that there'll almost certain be growing pains and googling that you hadn't really expected to do. But I find it well worth it. But generally, just play on what you can afford and don't try and keep up with the joneses. If you feel like you're missing out, maybe there's a whole new avenue of gaming waiting to be discovered, and maybe that's what's got you so intrigued.

Consoles aren't going anywhere and will ALWAYS be the platforms that 85% of games are designed around. PC just takes all that and adds a cherry on top of it. A sundae is nice, but a sundae with sprinkles and cherries is nicer.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Money is an issue. I have a credit card with about $500 debt. Also $838 to Dell for a year old order with there store loan. So overall $1338 debt I owe. I should make paying my debt off more of the priority than buying more stuff with a credit card again. I don't want more debt of course.

With all due respect you shouldn't be here asking this question. Interest rates are on the rise.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Sell the ps4 plus games and controllers to fund a steam Deck. Is the most redundant console in your collection.

EDIT: Not sure about the laughs there. PS5 has BC. Why would you keep a ps4 around. Selling it to buy a deck gives you access to Pc gaming, emulation plus portability without breaking the bank.

Last edited:

tusharngf

i got many games on x360 but later i switched to PC after 2013 xbox one disaster. I still kept ps4 pro for physical copies. I got around 180 games on steam. PC is good if you can get the latest hardware and steam is overall better store than PSN and XBL store.

David B

An Idiot
i got many games on x360 but later i switched to PC after 2013 xbox one disaster. I still kept ps4 pro for physical copies. I got around 180 games on steam. PC is good if you can get the latest hardware and steam is overall better store than PSN and XBL store.
Switched to pc about 6 times this year. Have 600+ games for consoles. Have same 23 games on PC already on consoles. Steam store kind of sucks now that you reminded me of it. I remember checking about 300 to 500 games on steam a few times over the months and I went hmm lots of these are pc only but I'm not interested in them at all. I love the easy ways of PS store and Xbox store to find games and shows me whats new and on sale. Plus I really don't give a crap about frame rate, just graphics, as I play single player games the most. So overall that solves my question. Not going PC gaming. I already have too many games for consoles and I hate kb & m gaming as well as same 23 games on PC on console and lastly I already have too much debt to pay. Thanks all!

supernova8

Banned
Do you feel like you are missing out on anything at the moment? Do you have spare time and cash?
Yeah this is how I decided not to splurge one expensive PC parts. I had this idea that I would play more games after I got some better PC components but the truth is I would probably be playing something now (with the less good stuff I have) if I really had an urge to do a bunch of gaming.

HTK

Banned
No need for a PC bro, save your money and enjoy your games. Consoles ain’t going anywhere and when they do you’ll probably be able to play your console library on the PC or the cloud which by then hopefully will be up to snuff technologically.

Guilty_AI

don't buy stuff then. Or rather, consider selling some of your consoles and games to help pay off this debt.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Console and PC are for different market, people has been saying console is over as early as the 90s, apparently they co-exist pretty well

I personally prefer PC because some of the game genre I enjoy plays best on PC like Strategy games, in fact some of them are PC exclusives like the Total War franchise.

If mobile gaming and PC gaming could co-exist, I don't see why console gaming can't

Last edited:
I hate when people say "you don't know what you're missing" but before I got into gaming PC stuff in 2016, I really feel I was missing out. I've enjoyed my PC way more than all the consoles I've owned going all the way back to the 80's.

Shifty1897

Consoles ain't going anywhere, gaming is bigger than it has ever been. If you're happy with console graphics, there's no need for a gaming PC.

Rykan

I already own PS12345, GameCube, Wii, Xbox, 360, Series X. I own over 600 games already on all those consoles. All the games I have on steam, ea, origin, epic games I already own on consoles. It's obvious not to right? I'm just worried that there won't be next gen consoles so PC is the future. But it's only been 2 years of PS5, Xbox series. Opinion?
Consoles still sold out almost everywhere 2 year after release. Yeah, they really are about to go away, aren't they? Nobody is buying these things anymore.

David B

An Idiot
I hate when people say "you don't know what you're missing" but before I got into gaming PC stuff in 2016, I really feel I was missing out. I've enjoyed my PC way more than all the consoles I've owned going all the way back to the 80's.
That's cool and I respect the difference but I just always have enjoyed consoles more. Steam bores me, I don't like their store layout.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Steamdeck runs on linux. Yes I know it's been modded to run Windows 10 & 11 but still I don't mod stuff and again money debt issues.
So you are planning on building a gaming PC for less than the price of a SteamDeck?

BabyYoda

Banned
No, you shouldn't, absolutely not, you should build one, as it's quite the journey and you'll thank me for it!

Assuming you do the necessary research (getting the best deals, making sure it's all compatible etc) and have time for it all of course.

My PC feels so much more like "my PC" because I built her.

Edit: if money's an issue, do what I did, buy a PC part or two every time you have the money, before you know it you have everything you need and no extra debt.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
if you have the money, it's a definite yes and also buy a steam deck at some point. It really is undoubtedly the best way to play games nowadays. Awesome PC and steam deck...WOW!

my opinion of course :)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you have spare cash sure. But pc is pain so know that… and that pc will make you an asshole based on other pcmr lol.
Maybe get a steam deck? At least you will be able to play the same games differently.
Edit: for me it’s playing the same games but with more issues and distractions. For the gain of possibly better resolution or fps. Pcgamingwiki will be your main friend.

Last edited:

Goon_Bong

I have a rig that would have been mid range a few years ago and I must admit, as a PS5 owner, the hagged itchy blanket of 30fps slowly but surely being pulled over the current gen consoles is making me think I may need to budget for an upgrade.

Midn1ght

Rule #1: "Don't buy what you want if it gets in the way of buying what you need"
Consoles aren't going anywhere.

Last edited:

mxbison

Consoles aren't going anywhere.

PC gaming has it's up and downsides. You have a lot more options but also way more room for issues.

I'd say it comes down to your financial situation. If you're fine with dropping like 1.5k on a good setup then go for it. Definitely not a must-have though.

Calverz

100%. I was like you a couple of years ago and thought I didn’t need one. But you are obviosuly an enthusiast, so the options and configurations and freedom pc offers is worth it. Once you then combine pc with the deck, it’s hard to go back in on consoles. In saying that, there is definitely still a place for consoles. I much rather play a game on my couch in my living room for the cinema style experience. Xbox have done great with cross saves. So if I wanted to pick off from my progress from pc to Xbox, it’s simple. Now that Sony are taking pc seriously, hopefully they will implement some kind of cross save too.

dan76

I had to buy a half decent pc for work, and in the back of my head I was thinking, "hey, this can play games". It's great, no regrets, I have been missing out all these years (playing mame on an original Xbox - now I play Teknoparrot with lightguns and it's glorious). Modern games get a performance boost, but If you already own a PS5 you're not going to miss out on too many new games, so maybe not.

Top Bottom