• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy a gaming PC?

recursive

Money is an issue. I have a credit card with about $500 debt. Also $838 to Dell for a year old order with there store loan. So overall $1338 debt I owe. I should make paying my debt off more of the priority than buying more stuff with a credit card again. I don't want more debt of course.
Bruv if you are fretting over $1.3k just stick to what you own. No reason to put yourself in financial disarray over video games.

David B

An Idiot
So right now I ain't got the money for a new PC at all. I got an imac 2 months ago. Apple is $500 to $1000 over-priced. I can't and never will try Apple again. I just want a basic PC. But with no money until November I got no choice but to use a credit card to purchase a basic PC.

NeonDelta

So right now I ain't got the money for a new PC at all. I got an imac 2 months ago. Apple is $500 to $1000 over-priced. I can't and never will try Apple again. I just want a basic PC. But with no money until November I got no choice but to use a credit card to purchase a basic PC.
Get a steam deck and a dock If you want a basic pc.

Grechy34

I already own PS12345, GameCube, Wii, Xbox, 360, Series X. I own over 600 games already on all those consoles. All the games I have on steam, ea, origin, epic games I already own on consoles. It's obvious not to right? I'm just worried that there won't be next gen consoles so PC is the future. But it's only been 2 years of PS5, Xbox series. Opinion?

You sound no older then 13.

David B

An Idiot
I'm not buying gaming PC. I just need a regular PC as I'm on Xbox series x edge browser right now. Like I've said over 600+ games on consoles already anyway.

David B

An Idiot
Alright so final update on this thread I made. I bought an HP Pavilion desktop with AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8 cores 16 threads, 16GB ram, 1TB SSD along with a 27 inch HP 1440p monitor. Well I'm glad I'll be able to stay on this PC for years to come now.

SHA

If you care about a better Controlling experience and not just about the horsepower then PC is the way to go , look on YouTube videos, PC controls are way more advanced and not just a different experience , it's actually superior to regular controllers. Controlling is a game changer , consoles can't mimic the experience , not in a million years , some games are built better for PCs , I'm not talking about performance , I'm talking about the experience , these games on PC speaks for themselves , you can't do that on consoles.

David B

An Idiot
If you care about a better Controlling experience and not just about the horsepower then PC is the way to go , look on YouTube videos, PC controls are way more advanced and not just a different experience , it's actually superior to regular controllers. Controlling is a game changer , consoles can't mimic the experience , not in a million years , some games are built better for PCs , I'm not talking about performance , I'm talking about the experience , these games on PC speaks for themselves , you can't do that on consoles.
It's already noted above you that I bought a basic PC along with a basic 1440p 60Hz monitor. I have gamed on consoles my whole life. I have tried keyboard and mouse, but I hate it. I only have 26 games on PC and I also have them on consoles so there's no point to get a gaming PC for myself. I love controllers will use them forever.

kapshin

You could just not buy it and use what you have.

Also people arguing over console vs pc, how about just use what you like and not give a shit what strangers on the internet think.

MikeM

It's already noted above you that I bought a basic PC along with a basic 1440p 60Hz monitor. I have gamed on consoles my whole life. I have tried keyboard and mouse, but I hate it. I only have 26 games on PC and I also have them on consoles so there's no point to get a gaming PC for myself. I love controllers will use them forever.
You know you can use controllers on PC, right?

Griffon

Alright so final update on this thread I made. I bought an HP Pavilion desktop with AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8 cores 16 threads, 16GB ram, 1TB SSD along with a 27 inch HP 1440p monitor. Well I'm glad I'll be able to stay on this PC for years to come now.
What's the GPU?

David B

An Idiot
What's the GPU?
Basic integrated Radeon graphics. And to the other guy, yea I know about controller on PC. But some PC games about 10% like MMORPGs require kb and mouse. Plus that I hate dealing with the graphics and frame rate and all those settings. With a console, just put the game in and go.

Banned
I hate dealing with the graphics and frame rate and all those settings. With a console, just put the game in and go.

most modern games try to detect your system and set settings accordingly.
if you are on Nvidia the GeForce Experience app can be set to give you optimal settings according to the Nvidia GPU they detect. usually it's trying to give you 60fps

optimise-game-settings-geforce-experience.png

for many games the app will even have hover-over images demonstrating what each setting does

XrxQL8N.png

these aren't always completely optimal tho, so for 100% optimal settings you will still have to tweak stuff here and there.
for Mirror's Edge Catalyst GFE suggests 2x AF while any decent card will have zero performance impact for going to 16x AF

SHA

I know a 110% exactly what you mean , there are different reasons to get one , one of them when you get older eventually you'll end up buying one because of when your cognitive senses get weaker you left with no other choice but to buy a gaming PC , there's no way that you could stay competitive on online with a controller forever , it's impossible. You're also an apple user , dude , you're missing alot , windows PCs are way different , you can't be serious about gaming on Apple devices.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Out of curiousity, what did you hate by it, and what type of games do you usually play?
Not my post but I was having this discussion with a friend the other day. He uses keyboard and mouse for years and I use controllers. We have both tried the other control method but I think it just boils down to muscle memory. I have tens of thousands (probably) of hours practice on a controller so I'm much better with a controller. Him vice versa. so it just comes down to preference really.

David B

An Idiot
Can you return it or sell it?
Way past return period as bestbuy only has 15 day returns now. It's expanded over now until January 15th of next year. But I bought the iMac back in September so yeah the 15 day return period was on it. Now I'm just trying to sell it.

Way past return period as bestbuy only has 15 day returns now. It's expanded over now until January 15th of next year. But I bought the iMac back in September so yeah the 15 day return period was on it. Now I'm just trying to sell it.
What’s wrong with the iMac, if you just need a basic PC, Macs usually are pretty solid.

You got to keep in mind that buying a cheap PC is just going to cost you in the long run because eventually you will need to upgrade stuff for it to run well.

Your OP post mentioned your thinking about buying a gaming PC but now your are saying you just need a basic PC. Despite already owning a Mac, what is going on dude lol.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
What’s wrong with the iMac, if you just need a basic PC, Macs usually are pretty solid.

You got to keep in mind that buying a cheap PC is just going to cost you in the long run because eventually you will need to upgrade stuff for it to run well.

Your OP post mentioned your thinking about buying a gaming PC but not your are saying you just need a basic PC. Despite already owning a Mac, what is going on dude lol.
I also said I'm done with Apple, they are extremely expensive over priced crap. I also can't stand the mouse, the keyboard controls, the menu at top instead of in the windows. Windows is just way easier.

Puscifer

Gold Member
If you have spare cash sure. But pc is pain so know that… and that pc will make you an asshole based on other pcmr lol.
Maybe get a steam deck? At least you will be able to play the same games differently.
Edit: for me it’s playing the same games but with more issues and distractions. For the gain of possibly better resolution or fps. Pcgamingwiki will be your main friend.
What on earth do you do for any game made before 2005 that the Wiki is a requirement? I game on Linux and even I've not had to touch it.

Anywho, get a PC for certain styles of games where you'll realize how certain games just play better in that setting. Hell, you'll probably end up playing stuff you've never thought of.

Right now unless Ragnarok blows it out the water Neon White is the best game of 2022 for me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What on earth do you do for any game made before 2005 that the Wiki is a requirement? I game on Linux and even I've not had to touch it.

Anywho, get a PC for certain styles of games where you'll realize how certain games just play better in that setting. Hell, you'll probably end up playing stuff you've never thought of.

Right now unless Ragnarok blows it out the water Neon White is the best game of 2022 for me.
pcgamingwiki is useful.
In fact, gaming on Linux helps because fixes for some older games is hooking up older wrapper just like you do on linux :p

Wait..so you are saying despite being $1300 in debt, having bought a new iMac, AND decided you didn't want a gaming PC you proceeded to buy a shitty HP Pavilion desktop to put yourself MORE INTO DEBT? That's fucking asinine.

Are you okay? lol

Also the iMac is guaranteed to be a better computer than that shitbox you bought from HP lol. MacOS is way better then Windows for almost everything but gaming.

Last edited:
Wait..so you are saying despite being $1300 in debt, having bought a new iMac, AND decided you didn't want a gaming PC you proceeded to buy a shitty HP Pavilion desktop to put yourself MORE INTO DEBT? That's fucking asinine.

Are you okay? lol

Also the iMac is guaranteed to be a better computer than that shitbox you bought from HP lol. MacOS is way better then Windows for almost everything but gaming.
The guy is a troll don't bother, nothing he is saying is making sense.

If you have never used a Mac there is definitely a learning curve but they are great for anything outside gaming. If he thought it was too expensive why buy it in the first place? So many things are not adding up lol

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot

If you have never used a Mac there is definitely a learning curve but they are great for anything outside gaming. If he thought it was too expensive why buy it in the first place? So many things are not adding up lol
Yeah I realize that now. Debt sucks. I hate that I didn't realize it all.

David B

An Idiot

I'm a troll? I seriously don't know why I don't get things right away, but now I do. So yeah. I've never been slow or had epilepsy or anything like that. I never was in special classes or anything, so yeah.

GametimeUK

When have I denied? And so far, I have rare stutters. Playing without RT though.

Don't buy Sackboy on PC either. Like I said the platform is plagued with this issue at the moment. No need to buy a PC. I think I've proven my point. All that money on incredible hardware, but developers are ruining the platform with this stutter nonsense.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Don't buy Sackboy on PC either. Like I said the platform is plagued with this issue at the moment. No need to buy a PC. I think I've proven my point. All that money on incredible hardware, but developers are ruining the platform with this stutter nonsense.
I already played a little and refounded and had no problems. The only problem was the game being a boring Mario 3D World.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
5ChL9qN.jpg

Damn, I guess you're hardly the person to be giving advice when you don't notice stuttering in all these games.
I don't need a DF video. I played here. Not a single stutter outside cutscenes. Maybe my 5800x blute forced. Playing without RT though.
My experience was more like this:

Last edited:

Brock2621

I already own PS12345, GameCube, Wii, Xbox, 360, Series X. I own over 600 games already on all those consoles. All the games I have on steam, ea, origin, epic games I already own on consoles. It's obvious not to right? I'm just worried that there won't be next gen consoles so PC is the future. But it's only been 2 years of PS5, Xbox series. Opinion?
So, id say yes if you’re mildly tech savvy, BUT it is really annoying to constantly have to update windows, steam, video card and mobo drivers. It’s like a classic car, you’ll never stop fiddling with it.

David B

An Idiot
Ok well I finally got some guy to buy the iMac from me, used the money to buy a gaming PC. Lenovo i7 12700 12 cores CPU, 16GB ram, 512GB SSD, Nvidia 3060 12GB GDDR5 GPU. LG 27 inch monitor 1440p 144 Hz. It's all good for me. I don't need super power. 1440p and 60 to 80 FPS is what I've been getting with it in Black Ops 3 anyway.

I hate when people say "you don't know what you're missing" but before I got into gaming PC stuff in 2016, I really feel I was missing out. I've enjoyed my PC way more than all the consoles I've owned going all the way back to the 80's.
The best part of PC gaming is those same old games from back in 2016 and even before will continue to work on your PC. If they stop a modder will most certainly fix it. I have games from 1998 i’m able to play on my modern rig.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Wtf are you talking about? Do I literally need to screenshot my nvidia GeForce experience panel with a “new update available, install now” button for you? Same with my ASROCK mobo app?
So clicking "next, next, finish" once a while is so annoying, more than swallowing paid online, 30fps, high input lag, bad IQ, poor controls, etc, etc... ok then.

Topher

Gold Member
Just helped my co worker build a pc today 12600k and a 3070ti. 4th pc built this year so far.

I built two. My own and helped my son build his.

So, id say yes if you’re mildly tech savvy, BUT it is really annoying to constantly have to update windows, steam, video card and mobo drivers. It’s like a classic car, you’ll never stop fiddling with it.

Why are you "constantly" updating your motherboard? I don't know about others, but the only time I ever do anything with my motherboard is when there is a very specific problem I'm trying to fix and that is extremely rare. In any case, rodrigolfp rodrigolfp is correct that all these updates require no more than a few mouse clicks. We are talking about a matter of minutes at a time. If you find that annoying then ok, but I think that's more of a you thing.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

How much did you spend?

Top Bottom