• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy a gaming PC?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Thank you for the reply consisting of a fallacy of irrelevant conclusion and whataboutism.

Here, let me remind you:

Glad we cleared up me "talking out of ass"
Too bad for you that you need a mobo app to update drivers, I don't, and your windows doesn't auto update itself, mine does. And if just clicking "express install" on GF Experience is too much non automatic for you, sleep well without this too much annoying job.

Last edited:
I already said I returned it as I didn't want the credit card debt. I finally sold my iMac and used that money to get a gaming PC. Lenovo i7 12700 12 core CPU, 16GB ram, 512GB SSD, Nvidia 3060 12GB GDDR6. Along with a LG 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz monitor with G-sync. It cost me about $1,200.
And yet you still have that $1300 in debt or whatever it was or did that magically disappear as well?

small_law

No you should pay someone to do it for you just as you pay someone to fix your car, mown the lawn and clean your apartment. Its 2022 the service economy called.
I didn't mean to be glib there, building one is a lot more fun than buying one is what I was trying to imply. If that's too overwhelming, there's nothing wrong with getting a pre-built. as a starting point and buying components over time, The Ship of Theseus approach worked for me.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Ok so I'm trying to set up a gaming pc in the bedroom, running the xbox app for gamepass, at it sucks with the controller, am I doing something wrong? Does MS want to make it harder to use a controller on pc? Was thinking I could autoboot it and just use the controller, but's a nightmare. I can't even quit out of a game with the controller.
So use the stupid app then to install and use steam big picture instead? I suppose I'll want that anyhow, along with epic games from all the free ones picked up.

On a side note, I tried cloud via the app, found this:

Doom this afternoon was completely unplayable, video was garbled even
Tonight, Forza 5 and deathloop looked much better than expected, 1080p or 1440p? Some lag but completely playable.
Then tried halo infinite, same amount of lag, but the video after while started to compress more.

Last edited:
Ok so I'm trying to set up a gaming pc in the bedroom, running the xbox app for gamepass, at it sucks with the controller, am I doing something wrong? Does MS want to make it harder to use a controller on pc? Was thinking I could autoboot it and just use the controller, but's a nightmare. I can't even quit out of a game with the controller.
You mean there is no Exit option and you have to use alt+F4? I’ve seen that in a few games but it’s rare. Either way, you will almost certainly need a wireless mouse and probably keyboard on the side to use now and then when needed. That’s just how PC is.

You mean there is no Exit option and you have to use alt+F4? I’ve seen that in a few games but it’s rare. Either way, you will almost certainly need a wireless mouse and probably keyboard on the side to use now and then when needed. That’s just how PC is.
Precisely, and for many of us, that seems to be good enough to call it a "console like experience". For me it isn't, though. Lots of trolls on the net pretending a PC can just be as easy to use as a console, "just connect it to your TV". What a load of BS.

THE DUCK

I have a pointer with a keyboard on the back, but what a pain to have to switch between the controller and pointer.

THE DUCK

Precisely, and for many of us, that seems to be good enough to call it a "console like experience". For me it isn't, though. Lots of trolls on the net pretending a PC can just be as easy to use as a console, "just connect it to your TV". What a load of BS.

I agree with this, every time I try to set up the "console like" experience on pc it's one thing after another that makes it not so.

David B

An Idiot
And yet you still have that $1300 in debt or whatever it was or did that magically disappear as well?
I returned those items and therefore the store registered the debt as a minus category and the credit card was erased of debt. Now it says 0. I even looked online, it's back to 0.

David B

An Idiot
Based on your extensive gamer credentials, I think you should buy one with the most expensive GPU possible.
I did maybe a year ago. But I've got so much more games on consoles. I hardly ever play my pc games. I'm packing up though, getting ready for a move. Moving is much more important than gaming right now.

Top Bottom