• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy a gaming PC?

David B

An Idiot
Is a 4090 safe to buy? I mean no duh I know it costs a lot. But does it overheat and kill a PC pretty fast or is that just a big rumor thing?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
My second cousins sisters mother has been dating some sort of "computer wizz" And he's looking for an upgrade. If this last years top of the line beauty peaks your interest your welcome to send me a PM. Incorporating some sexual innuendo while negotiating surely puts you high up for a potential buy.

25$ no more no less

Sv3uuXh.jpg

Barakov

Gold Member
I have a good list here of why Windows PC is better than Mac. I am on an iMac right now and I have no more room for consoles or game discs at all, my whole room is taken up. I got room to walk around sure, I ain't no horder. Never been either. But I wrote my own 15 reasons why PC is better than Mac. Here's my written article copy and pasted here.
Reasons why Windows is better than Mac OS.

1. There’s no option in the finder window for documents. Not even in the custom side menu options for the finder!

2. Macs are more expensive than Windows PCs. I’ve gone over it over 20 times. PCs are always cheaper!

3. You can game on Windows and get more games on Windows! Steam, Epic, EA.

4. The minimize, maximize, and close option are on the left instead of the right. Plus, the close button doesn’t really close, the real way to close is you have to top bar and click the application name and then press quit which is irritating!

5. Intel core i7, i9, xeon, and AMD Risen R7, R9, and thread ripper give more performance and are better than Apple M series ARM processors.

6. You can customize a PC by adding more ram, changing out the GPU, CPU, hard drive, the motherboard, the power adaptor, and even adding a DVD drive! You can’t do any of these on Mac with there M processors.

7. There are more options on Windows PCs. Dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus, Acer, and many more. Also more options of how powerful it is.

8. There are more freeware programs available for Windows.

9. Windows has a big backwards compatibility! DirectX is supported a lot because Microsoft made it. Got old games? DirectX 1 to 11 is all there, just instantly accept the installation of it.

10. The Apple mouse is kind of odd. One click, no second click, no wheel!

11. There are more developers on Windows and thus more application programs are available on it.

12. There are no USB3 inputs on Macs. Sure the Mac mini, but that’s it. All the other Macs only have thunderbolt4 which uses the same technology as USB-C. So you have to buy a stupid add on just so you can use an external hard drive or hook up a printer or anything else!

13. Windows has snap so you can snap your applications to fill screen, left, right, 3rd of screen and other options. Mac doesn’t have that at all!

14. PCs offer more options to select your device’s screen size, resolution, thinness, touchscreen capabilities, port types, and color.

15. PCs have more ports in general. USB3, USB2, ethernet, HDMI, display port, and more USB inputs than Macs have ever had.

Spec for spec, PCs are ALWAYS CHEAPER!!!
If you have the money and you want one, there's no reason not to get one.

Danknugz

Over a Mac absolutely. Like there is no question for gaming.

I have a gaming PC but if I was getting into the gaming space today I'd go PS5, good exclusives and less hassles, but then again gamepass on xbox is really good value. However PC you have advantages like keysites which gives you about a 20-30 percent discount on day 1 releases and free online. The fact that consoles charge you for basic online functionality is just lol. Also gamepass PC

Also PC has the biggest library of games, emulation, mods...
Definitely don't get a Mac for a gaming system. Even for productivity I would not get a Mac. I did it in 2013 for 2 years and I hated everything about it.
surely you didnt hate being super cool and what did you do with the mac sticker?

flying_sq

You can easily find a good case for $50 to $60 and a sufficient power supply for under $100. Decent CPU cooler can be had for $30 but you are probably better off spending $50.
I guess it depends on the case, I got a Fractal Define 7, with all of the sound insulation panels. Looks great, and was extremely quiet, but then I put a 360 AIO in the top, and its makes some noise, but nothing that serious. I feel like you get a lot of QOL features stepping up in price for a case. Don't forget about extra fans depending on your case. Air tower coolers are fine, but I have really enjoyed moving away from a tower cooler. I had a Noctua U14s but it didn't cool my CPU well enough for a good OC. For PSU, I went for a cheap one twice. One was my first time upgrading an HP tower PC waaaaay back in the day. Had a 220 switch on the back, and the computer wouldn't turn on sometimes, but if I flipped it from 110 to 220, then back to 110 it would turn on. Second time, I thought I picked up a good PSU at a lower price, but then it grenaded my 920 i7, and my mobo, and the PSU. Ever since then, I would rather stick to higher end PSUs at wattage levels (EG: Seasonic). Luckily I don't care about RGB, so I get to save a few bucks when I can. The only pain, sometimes the better performing stuff will have RGB for no reason other to inflate the cost of the part.

David B

An Idiot
The very first computer I ever bought was from Dell. It had a Intel core 2 duo 2 cores, 2GB of ram, 500GB HDD, and Windows Vista 32 bit on it. I went to Circuit City and upgraded to 4GB 2 years later. Than Circuit City died a few years later of course. This was all in 2006 and than 2008 for the upgrade in ram. Oh man. I'll be honest, I use and like Mac for iMovie and screen shot. But other than those I don't really like it. Sure iMovie is easy and so is screen shot. But I just don't feel like making videos anymore for youtube.

SHA

List your games, specs looks safe nowadays but you should never trust heavy hitter titles , gta6 aimed for 2024 console release, expect year 2025 for the pc, hogwarts doesn't count, there's clearly something wrong with the game itself, don't judge your build based on this game cause if they don't fix it the game will just fail and the market will move on, the safest bet is to go with more VRAM but it's the same when adding more budget into your build which defeats the purpose of budget building, there's no denying these games aren't cheap, usually when this type of stuff happens you should go with whatever gives higher fps count.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
List your games, specs looks safe nowadays but you should never trust heavy hitter titles , gta6 aimed for 2024 console release, expect year 2025 for the pc, hogwarts doesn't count, there's clearly something wrong with the game itself, don't judge your build based on this game cause if they don't fix it the game will just fail and the market will move on, the safest bet is to go with more VRAM but it's the same when adding more budget into your build which defeats the purpose of budget building, there's no denying these games aren't cheap, usually when this type of stuff happens you should go with whatever gives higher fps count.
I always buy pre-built from Dell. I trust them the most on there builds. I always buy with a GPU that's higher than the 2070 Super and 3060 as those are rated as the GPUs closest to the PS5 and Xbox Series X. So yeah the 4090 is best, but so many of those overheating killed your motherboard issues.

Top Bottom