• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I continue with God of War (2018)?

cormack12

Gold Member
It's a good game, you should at least play up until the brothers - you'll know when you get there (not the dwarf brothers)

Unfortunately it suffers from the same as a lot of other games where the best abilities are locked behind points so it's a bit mundane/gritty until your arsenal expands.

Y0ssarian

Banned
It's a good game, you should at least play up until the brothers - you'll know when you get there (not the dwarf brothers)

Unfortunately it suffers from the same as a lot of other games where the best abilities are locked behind points so it's a bit mundane/gritty until your arsenal expands.
I have read all the replies in this thread, and I have been playing Uncharted 4 yesterday and today so that was good giving me some time away from GoW. I have decided I will come back to God of War, possibly tomorrow. I left the game after the Alfheim quest.

And to those guys arguing about Ghost of Tsushima, I intend to pick that up later

I recently got a PlayStation to play the exclusives for this gen and last gen. I'm up to God of War (2018). I got to the part just past the giant snake in the lake. I killed an ogre type thing and some mooks, I think I am at the Base of the Mountain area. This game has 94% on Metacritic, I want to like it. The sequel is coming this year (probably). So is there reason to continue with the game when I am not enjoying it that much? Does something compelling happen or the combat improve? Thanks. Some recent games I did and did not enjoy:

Liked:
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- The Last of Us Remastered + DLC
- Ratchet & Clank (2016)
- Uncharted 4

Did not like:
- inFamous Second Son
- MediEvil

Glad I'm not the only one. Played for about 5 hours and gave up. Pretty generic fodder.

Blendernaut

Neo Member
There's never a reason to keep on trying to like something when you simply don't. So, don't.

The problem here is the fact that you don't enjoy that game. :messenger_winking_tongue: Man, it's one of the best games in the last decade!

That’s a hell of cute of opinion.

- Ghost of Tsushima has standard polished Sony exclusive combat.
- Theres music.
- The game crawls after the first half, basically clearing camps and road chores. U platinuming the game without even trying, means nothing at all. Just means the game is easy.
- Minigames are all “fun to do and they give you a sense of calmness”. They are boring. Point random assets and make a random poem. Press 5 buttons quickly. Not to write about, its there.
- The boss fights are the worst boss fights of any Sony exclusive I have played. Wannabe artsy, ultimately underwhelming. They play out like regular enemies with longer life bars.
5LmglFb.gif

- The wind mechanic is cute. Not even sure why that would be something to note. Might as well mention you auto pick up items.
- The combat system is as robust as all games before it. But that was already your first point.
- None the side stories or characters are memorable. What’s memorable? Cinematics are basically them just standing there talking to each other. And all most scenes are acted out by trees.
- Amazing set pieces? what? where? The opening scene?
- Great color. Graphics are very outdated. PS3 level facial animation.

The main reason why someone would think this game is better than days gone is because they are interested in Samurai lore over zombie lore. And prefer the superior environment of the colorful feudal japan, over the colorless wasteland of Oregon. If you have a romanticized view of being a Samurai, Ghost will hit a cord with you so hard, you will over hype this game with it’s standard unoffending gameplay and it’s unoffending story. Same thing with Days Gone. If Bikes and zombies are your thing, you’ll overhype that game. But they are the same. Solid gameplay, solid cookie cutter open world, and overused story beats. They are both good games. No way in hell they are TLOU2 or GOW level of polish. But you can most certainly opinionatedly prefer GOT, mainly for its combat and aesthetic.

Spot on GOT really isn't amazing. It's good. It's not the insanely polished game like TLOU or GOW

Last edited:
Top Bottom