• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get a Switch OLED for Zelda?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
So's I's was getting to thinking that I maybe DESERVE to play the new Zelda with an OLED screen.

My SteamDeck and old Switch have kinda crud displays and both are in crud condition. The screens for these are for peasants.

So's anyone else getting OLED for this? but I don't want the Zelda OLED though cus it's ugly.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
In my opinion, if you haven't gotten an OLED now, don't bother and keep the money for the Switch successor. Start Zelda on your current one and if you still want to upgrade, then do. I wouldn't upgrade beforehand and if you have a friend with an OLED, ask them to borrow it for an hour to see if it's worth it. Good luck!
I's was thinking this to BUT if Zelda is coming now I doubts Switch 2 is coming out anytime soon and I bets that the screen will be some cheap crud and not OLED.

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Robb

Gold Member
I was thinking about it and had TotK released last year I would have definitely gone for it.

But now I feel like “Switch 2” is pretty much around the corner so I’d hold off for now.

My launch day Switch will have to endure the game while I’ll be praying that it’ll survive until I’ve beaten it.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I's was thinking this to BUT if Zelda is coming now I doubts Switch 2 is coming out anytime soon and I bets that the screen will be some cheap crud and not OLED.

It might not be the same quality but I imagine it will be alot smoother to play next gen. Again, if you have a friend with an OLED, hound them before you buy to test it.

TrebleShot

I was thinking of doing the same but haven’t even done the first one which I have on my steam deck and like you the screen is utter dirt.

Thinking of emulating on my PC/TV (OLED) , I have an old switch I got for my 30th but prefer steam.

Was thinking would be cool to pick up an OLED switch to get remote play on it also but not sure you can hack them.

Kenpachii

i actually just bought a week ago switch for next to my deck oled version

kzN8kPG.jpg

I must say its a eye sore at first as u really need to get adjusted to the janky oled 30 fps framerate, the game is also washed out because its jsut how the game is rendered really, so i would prefer a 40 fps steam deck emulated version to be honest. However blacks etc are better for sure and when u sit in some area's standing still or in the menu's the picture quality is better. I don't think its that drastically of a upgrade from a deck tho. So its up to you really.

If you’ve got the cash then sure, I sold off my OG Switch because the OLED display looked great and the battery life is far better on it. OG Switch only lasted a few hours.

mrmustard

Banned
I don't know if it's different with modern games, but i'm retro gaming on my smartphones and i don't see much of a difference between my Oled and my IPS display.

pdk27

I have a day 1 Switch. Bought an OLED Switch a couple of weeks ago specifically to play Zelda. Been enjoying Xeno 3 on it while I wait. I think the upgrade from the launch Switch is well worth it.

If you have a decent pc, I'd buy it, rip it, and play it on either yuzu or ryujinx. That fixes the worst aspect of the game, which is it's performance. Granted, blaming the game for that isn't entirely fair but w/e

i actually just bought a week ago switch for next to my deck oled version

kzN8kPG.jpg

I must say its a eye sore at first as u really need to get adjusted to the janky oled 30 fps framerate, the game is also washed out because its jsut how the game is rendered really, so i would prefer a 40 fps steam deck emulated version to be honest. However blacks etc are better for sure and when u sit in some area's standing still or in the menu's the picture quality is better. I don't think its that drastically of a upgrade from a deck tho. So its up to you really.
You are able to get 40fps on the deck? Really? I thought decent botw and totk emulation non deck was no existent. That is exciting

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I'm waiting for the next-gen, but if money is not a problem, Oled is the way to go. Better IQ with a bigger screen. Win-win

And how about emulating the game on a pc? The switch couldn't keep up with resolution at release (and fps), and certainly can't today. Big games at a good framerate, resolution and reshade are great to play.

Schmendrick

Big OLED TV + Yuzu-Emulator with a totally legal backup rom is the way to go.
The game looks 10 times better than on the switch the moment you pump up the resolution to 1440+, and it runs smoother, too. And all that is before we`ve talked reshade :)
Ofc that only applies if you have a decent PC to emulate on.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
The Oled panel makes me not give a fuck that it didn’t end up being a ‘pro’. It’s that good. Tiny bezels, premium build materials, gorgeous screen. I say go for it.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Don't worry, TOTK will re-release on the next Nintendo console so people get the joy of paying for it again.

Hugare

As others have said before: buy a copy and play it on PC

The boost to IQ and performance is immense

The game hasnt even been released yet and it already runs almost perfectly on both emulatores

Seems like money that could be saved for Switch 2. Only reason I have the OLED model is I went to Walmart to buy a Switch for Metroid Dread, and they were out of the old model and only had OLEDs.

Yeah the screen is nice, but I play mostly on the tv anyways.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So's I's was getting to thinking that I maybe DESERVE to play the new Zelda with an OLED screen.

My SteamDeck and old Switch have kinda crud displays and both are in crud condition. The screens for these are for peasants.

So's anyone else getting OLED for this? but I don't want the Zelda OLED though cus it's ugly.
I I picked up a Switch Lite but that isn't used much. But I bought a Switch at launch and after a couple years had joycon drift. I fixed that with replacement parts on Amazon. The fan is also starting to make noise. So....I bit the bullet and got the Zelda OLED this morning. They had 1 left at my local Target. Hopefully that count is accurate and I can pick it up later. I figured, Zelda is coming out and this is a nice upgrade (although a Switch 2 next year will be a must too). It's a big chunk of change but figured what the hell. Not sure if it will be the 'home' one since all of my digital games are on the launch one, or just use it for new cartridge games like Zelda. I likely will restart Metroid Prime Remaster on it since I barely started that. I am not subscribing to NSO to transfer saves.

Robb

Gold Member
Hmm, this makes me think the new switch details are soon and it's backwards compatible, or at least there will be a version of this game for it......
I think we’ll definitely be hearing about it within the next 12 months.

Who knows if we’ll get a port though. Nintendo released Skyward Sword on Wii in 2011, one year before the launch of the WiiU in 2012, and we only just got a port of that game on Switch in 2021.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Seems like money that could be saved for Switch 2. Only reason I have the OLED model is I went to Walmart to buy a Switch for Metroid Dread, and they were out of the old model and only had OLEDs.

Yeah the screen is nice, but I play mostly on the tv anyways.
Yeah, but that is likely a year away (next May?)

GymWolf

As others have said before: buy a copy and play it on PC

The boost to IQ and performance is immense

The game hasnt even been released yet and it already runs almost perfectly on both emulatores
Is it easy to setup the emulator?

scydrex

You really think someone who is remotely interested in Zelda will wait at LEAST until next spring to play the game when/ if the Switch 2 comes out?
Then he should play it on PC if he has one. He dosen't need a high end pc for that.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Anyone who can wait a year for Zelda, or plays on the PC, is not a real one.

Buy it, enjoy it, and become a part of the real. The OLED is a damn solid upgrade, and, it's easy to sell once the Switch 2 comes around.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo oled only makes sense if you’re into portable gaming same for the lite. Got a og switch just a bit ago and then I’ll hook it up to a 43” UHD Sharp TV.

Alebrije

It depends..

You bleed money : go ahead

You could use the money for other stuff : think twice

You took 3-5 months to save the money to get a new Switch. : Dont spend it, better save it for next Nintendo console.

You took more than 6 months saving money to afford new Switch : You need that money for other stuff, forget about a new.console.

Trilobit

I tried playing BotW in handheld mode on my Switch, but I felt the performance was worse than in the dock + that playing Zelda with Pro Controller is far superior to the joycons.

Save your money for the Switch 2 and enjoy your current Switch to the fullest. TotK is still going to be very good on it!

Gambit2483

The OLED is gorgeous. If you plan on playing a lot in handheld mode, absolutely. Just be aware they may announce Switch 2 within the next 12 months.

Top Bottom