• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

should I play the first Subnautica before Subnautica Below Zero

Just noticed they’re both on gamepass

Been meaning to check them out for a while, was pleasantly surprised to find them free on gamepass

Should I play the first one? Or just skip to 2nd

Thank you for your time

Trogdor1123

For sure. Both are awesome. The base building in sub zero is better but the atmosphere is better in 1. Either way, you win

brian0057

Banned
Play the original.
With the latest update, they added a few of the features from Below Zero.
Below Zero is... fine, I guess. The first game, on the other hand, is one of the best non-horror horror games I've ever played.
Yes, I typed that correctly.

brian0057

Banned
Cant bring myself to play this game , I dont like seeing everything pop-in 5m right in front of me .
Don't worry.
Once the existential dread invoked by the inky black depths of the abyss consumes your soul, you'll forget about the pop in.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Below Zero is more narrative focused and easier. Less is more and the first game is better for it. Also has extensive land segments in Below Zero.

Play Below Zero to learn the game but don't expect any form of hand holding from Subnautica.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Yes. Yes. Good god yes. Play the original. It's an amazing game. The sequel is a pale shadow.

Last edited:
I loved Subnautica, it just tosses you in and you go at it pretty much undirected which I like. I also loved putting together my base. Unfortunately my game was bugged and I couldn't produce the part needed to upgrade the Prawn to go full depth and in the end 150 hours in I abandoned the game because I was basically stuck. It sucks because I was really just getting to the good stuff.

Below Zero I stopped playing pretty quickly, I did not care for the narrative focus of the game. Stumbling across cool shit and figuring out your own way around the world is the best thing about Subnautica.

6zcpYkT.jpg

LAifWQV.jpg

WcbpLrR.jpg

T-Cake

I found the second one really annoying. It is way easier to get lost and at some point I had to consult a guide to find an item with a robotic penguin. I would never have figured that out in a million years. The first was pretty much perfect... until you fell through a hole in the map. (Which they seemed to have fixed now.)

KiteGr

Just noticed they’re both on gamepass

Been meaning to check them out for a while, was pleasantly surprised to find them free on gamepass

Should I play the first one? Or just skip to 2nd

Thank you for your time
The first is better, but the 2nd is more streamlined with some great quality of life improvements.

I have the PS4/5 version, but i kind of regret it, as on PC there is a mod that adds a map that auto fills visited areas and doesn't feel out of place at all.

The 2nd game doesn't need a map that much, as there is an island in the center to orient your self.

Top Bottom