• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I play the Original Alan Wake?

Fahdis

Or the Remaster? I just want to make sure I get the best experience. Posts from people who really love the series would help me make my decision easier.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Whichever you can get for cheaper. The remaster is a pretty bare bones effort and the only notable thing it changes is Alan wakes model to match the actor.

The only other notable improvement in the remaster is that the lip syncing in some of the cutscenes is better, but that's hardly a deal breaker.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I'd go for the remaster. It's marginally better but yeh.. why not.

It's gameplay is absolutely run of the fucking mill but it makes up for it with atmosphere and imho a decent story. It's Twin Peaksy which I love.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I recently finished the remaster including the DLC. It decent remaster but I’m surprised they went out of the way to improve Alan’s model but did nothing to improve the actual animation.

Hugare

Alan Wake is one of my favorites of all time

Play the original. I have the remaster, but cutscenes stutter, there are audio bugs and missing graphical effects. And the changes to the faces werent well done.

Missing effects > Better textures

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
It runs great on PC. So i'd highly suggest you play it their. It runs just fine on the 360 though if you can only access that game. I've not played the "remaster"

I'd highly suggest watching Twin Peaks, make a pot of coffee and then start up Alan Wake.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Or the Remaster? I just want to make sure I get the best experience. Posts from people who really love the series would help me make my decision easier.
unless your weird ass prefers 540p resolution, shitty lip synching in cutscenes , there is absolutely no reason to go anywhere near the original version on Xbox. On PC the original is fine and my understanding is that remastered version is only available on Epic store.

But if you’re on console the remastered is the version to play and if anyone tells you otherwise they’re a goddamn stupid ass!

The Remaster, I replayed the 360 version not too long ago and the framerate alone is worth it.

What a beautiful game.

Unfortunately I enjoy the story and graphics over the gameplay. Good game, tiresome playthrough.

Just Remedy getting better though, fuck me.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Oh shiz I forgot about this, I should really finally play it, I can't remember if I'll get a better experience on PS5 on a PC with a GTX 1080 though :pie_thinking:. I don't mind locking to 30hz to get better gay-fix in a game like that.

ZoukGalaxy

If you are on PC, I would definitely go with the original, the remastered faces are really bad, especially Alan Wake, the new face doesn't fit his personality at all considering the story.
It was a real mistake to "update" it. That simply doesn't fit his mood anymore. The new one make him looks like a psycho arrogant asshole, he isn't.

Google it for more infos.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Danjin44

If you are on PC, I would definitely go with the original, the remastered faces are really bad, especially Alan Wake, the new face doesn't fit his personality at all considering the story.
It was a real mistake to "update" it. That simply doesn't fit his mood anymore. The new one make him looks like a psycho arrogant asshole, he isn't.

maxresdefault.jpg
I think they try to match the face to live action of the character.

Danjin44

... and they failed.
The face was matching the character perfectly when the game came out. 10 years younger actor
Kind of agree, they try to make face more realistic but without actually improving facial expression which makes look way worse.

Banned
the remaster is mostly a bad remaster because it's barely an upgrade, but otherwise you'll not have any issues with the remaster.

Alan looks kinda wierd in-game in the remaster, they tried to make him look more like his live action actor, but didn't quite nail it imo

if you are on console, the choice is very easy tho, since the 60fps on the remaster are way more enjoyable than the 30fps of the original.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

I think they try to match the face to live action of the character.
This is it exactly, I remember have read somewhere that this was the idea behind these new faces.
But that was a TERRIBLE idea, there is absolutely no point to do this. It's like make all actors like they are today when remastering a 10 years old movie to 4k 😹

Faces and acting were perfect for their purpose back in time, they shouldn't have changed that, they spoiled everything (I was so excited by this remaster before this).

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I've played the original on both pc and Xbox one through BC.

I think the game is great no matter what version. Alan Wake is among the best games ever made hands down.

Fahdis

I have the original on Steam, should have mentioned that. But I was wondering if playing the remaster would be the better choice. I think I might go with the original with that face. Also, will watch a comparison video. For me immersion is everything. Thanks everyone.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I wouldn't play either. It's one of those games I would throw in the grossly overrated pile.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

I have the original on Steam, should have mentioned that. But I was wondering if playing the remaster would be the better choice. I think I might go with the original with that face. Also, will watch a comparison video. For me immersion is everything. Thanks everyone.
I really hope you will enjoy your time. It's one of the best game EVER with its UNIQUE incredible atmosphere.
Try to play at night with an headphone.
Also, after, don't forget American Nightmare, not as good but really worth a playthrough.
Enjoy this so underrated unmatched GEM in its genre ^^

Jump in !
Alan Wake Jump GIF by Xbox

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

It’s a solid if unremarkable shooter with a typically Remedy gimmick attached in the form of the flashlight.

That said, it has possibly my favourite camera of all time, there’s something so tangible and satisfying about the way it swings about with an ever so slight tilt and “rubbery-ness”, as if it was mounted on a stiff spring.

I dunno, it’s hard to articulate, and it probably sounds awful the way I’ve described it, haha. But it has a very unique feel that works with how far out it is, feels really good and is very cinematic which obviously works well with the presentation.

Reactions: Isa

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Original on PC my guy.

Yes, it has been on the list of EGS's "free" games more than once before. The PC version running in highest settings is practically the same as the recent remaster, you just don't have the new Alan Wake model.

Yes, it has been on the list of EGS's "free" games more than once before. The PC version running in highest settings is practically the same as the recent remaster, you just don't have the new Alan Wake model.
New models/graphics are messed up anyway.

Alan wake can run at insanely high resolutions/fps with msaa on PC original.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

maxresdefault.jpg
The face of someone telling you the original faces are better then the Remaster
jeiD6BN.jpg

You when you see the comparison and realise they are being serious
Eyt9UVv.jpg

Last edited:

Danjin44

jeiD6BN.jpg

Eyt9UVv.jpg
This game already didn't have good facial expression but trying make the face more realistic without improving the animation in the face will make it look much worse, so yes in my eyes original face was much more tolerable.

ZoukGalaxy

jeiD6BN.jpg

Eyt9UVv.jpg
The brain of someone who didn't play the games and doesn't get a clue why the original is better then thought he posted a funny relevant input to amaze the Queen.
Homer Simpson Thinking GIF

Thanks for your pathetic "participation". You can go back on Twitter now.

Running Water Quill GIF by Reuben Armstrong

Last edited:

TGO

This game already didn't have good facial expression but trying make the face more realistic without improving the animation in the face will make it look much worse, so yes in my eyes original face was much more tolerable.
Opinions, but you have a good reason so fair enough 👍

Kupfer

maxresdefault.jpg
Reminds me somehow of the profile picture of Spaceman292 Spaceman292
Soulless, cheap, creepy and snooty all at once.

I'd go with the original. It is the vision of the developers team back then and is quiet fun.

TGO

The brain of someone who didn't play the games and doesn't get a clue why the original is better then thought he posted a funny relevant input to amaze the Queen.
Homer Simpson Thinking GIF

Thanks for your pathetic "participation". You can go back on Twitter now.

Running Water Quill GIF by Reuben Armstrong
giphy.webp

Ain't you a sassy one.

Anyway I recommend the OP visit the OT and decide for himself and plus most users posted their impressions there and it has the reviews too
So check it out 👍
That's what I'm going to do because...ya know I haven't played it.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

maxresdefault.jpg

Still better than those hobbits from Quantum Break

Top Bottom