• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I play the Original Alan Wake?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
true, but shit I want that 2005 one that had that tornado and shit lol

Man, I remember seeing those. It looks like such a different game but you can still see some of the landmark locations that made it into the final game.

The original does have some poor performance due to the large draw distances. Sometimes it’s not surprising to see FPS numbers in the single digits for a moment.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
This game already didn't have good facial expression but trying make the face more realistic without improving the animation in the face will make it look much worse, so yes in my eyes original face was much more tolerable.
I remember laughing my ass off with the original release thinking, "They can't be serious?" with these facial animations. They are bad. But, you are spot on, it looks way weirder with "improved realistic" head models because of how hilarously terrible the animation team did with the expressions and lip syncing.
true, but shit I want that 2005 one that had that tornado and shit lol

giphy.gif

Holy shit, I forgot about that.

I remember watching so much about Alan Wake before it went dark. I remember just being impressed by the tech demo's. People sleep on Remedy's tech chops, seems they forgot that they were integral in the PC benchmarking scene getting started. It kind of was impressive tech wise when it released on 360, but it wasn't the showpiece it would have been had it released 3 or 4 years earlier.

I happened to be in a Twin Peaks marathon and Alan Wake hit at such a perfect moment for me, but yeah, a big departure from the original.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I remember laughing my ass off with the original release thinking, "They can't be serious?" with these facial animations. They are bad. But, you are spot on, it looks way weirder with "improved realistic" head models because of how hilarously terrible the animation team did with the expressions and lip syncing.

giphy.gif

Holy shit, I forgot about that.

I remember watching so much about Alan Wake before it went dark. I remember just being impressed by the tech demo's. People sleep on Remedy's tech chops, seems they forgot that they were integral in the PC benchmarking scene getting started. It kind of was impressive tech wise when it released on 360, but it wasn't the showpiece it would have been had it released 3 or 4 years earlier.

I happened to be in a Twin Peaks marathon and Alan Wake hit at such a perfect moment for me, but yeah, a big departure from the original.

True.

#neverforget lol

I wonder if they'll ever do a game using that open concept with the whole weather system

If you’re getting it on PC then definitely get the original, you can find pretty cheap Steam keys for it and it looms amazing to this day. The remaster is Epic store exclusive and compared to the original PC release doesn’t offer that much of a change to justify the price.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If you’re getting it on PC then definitely get the original, you can find pretty cheap Steam keys for it and it looms amazing to this day. The remaster is Epic store exclusive and compared to the original PC release doesn’t offer that much of a change to justify the price.
Correct. On PC the original is fine. On console, remastered is the only option if you're on PS4/5. On Xbox the original is available, but has terrible resolution (540p) and not worth playing at all.

I see a lot of people whining about the character model changes. Ignore them. If it's your first time to play, then it won't matter.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

You’ll be forgiven for misremembering Alan Wake as a commercial homerun for Remedy Entertainment, for despite its recent rejuvenated appeal with forthcoming sequel to boot, it’s been a rocky road for the eponymous beleaguered writer since his journey into the dark reaches of Bright Falls was first released as an Xbox 360 exclusive all the way back in May 2010.

Despite the game spawning two DLC and a standalone digital spinoff it’s fair to say Alan Wake never really found enough of an audience at the time. There’ve been grumblings of a sequel for the best part of a decade, but with modest sales figures of the original topping roughly 3 million, then-owners Microsoft opted to pool their resources into other projects with more widespread appeal rather than finance Alan Wake 2.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

There's something about games from Remedy Entertainment. A je ne sais quoi factor has helped their games stand out from the pack. Alan Wake is no exception.

With Alan Wake 2 having a target release for 2023 - even though we've seen next to nothing about it - I wanted to revisit the original.

I played it around a decade ago. I enjoyed it but didn't love it. This time around, I was much higher on it. Yes, it has some glaring flaws, but it scratches an itch that few games do.

It's a wonderful blending of the works of Stephen King and David Lynch into something unique. Before replaying, I was curious about Alan Wake 2. Now? It's one of my most anticipated upcoming releases. So let's dive into the vivid world of Alan Wake - just be aware of Cauldron Lake.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Prelude
01:20 - Game Intro
03:58 - Gameplay of Alan Wake
07:38 - Level Design of Alan Wake
10:45 - Narrative of Alan Wake
18:41 - Highlights of Base Game & DLC
31:18 - Alan Wake’s American Nightmare
37:06 - Alan Wake 2 & Control

• 🎮 The video is a review of the game "Alan Wake," created by Remedy Entertainment.
  • 🎭 The game's story blends the works of Stephen King and David Lynch into a unique and atmospheric experience.
  • 🌲 The game is set in the small town of Bright Falls, Washington, in the Pacific Northwest.
  • 🔦 The game has a unique combat system where players use a flashlight to weaken enemies before finishing them off with bullets or other means.
  • 💡 The game's core themes revolve around "the Shadows that pursue us."
  • 🕰️ The game was originally released a decade ago, but a sequel titled "Alan Wake 2" is set to release in
  • 🎶 The episodes in the game serve as parallels to events throughout the game.
  • 🎶 The game itself gets quite meta with the subject of writing, but it never becomes overindulgent or lacks sincerity.
  • 🎶 The story needs to follow a logic that fits the story; otherwise, one flaw can ruin everything.
  • 🎶 Alan Wake talks to himself on the regular, but it fits the narrative, and he doesn't outright guide the player.
  • 🎶 Alan serves as the Everyman, despite being a famous author, and he's not perfect; he's struggling with writer's block, a heavy drinker, and his relationship with Alice has been rocky.
  • 🎶 Barry serves as the comic relief of the story, and he wouldn't be out of place in the world of Max Payne.
  • 🎶 Barry is loyal to Alan and will do anything to help him out; he's the kind of person you call to help you in a bind.
  • 🎶 The back-and-forth between Alan and Barry leads to some inspired comedic moments.
  • 🎶 Alan Wake is a great example of comedy shining through in gaming, and Barry is an overlooked character in the gaming landscape.
  • 🎶 The original version of Alan Wake features product placement, such as Energizer batteries, Lincoln cars, Nokia and Verizon Billboards, and a TV ad, which helps make the world feel more real.
  • 🎶 The product placement is not in your face, and it's tasteful.
  • 🎭 The game features voice acting by James McCaffrey, known for his work in Max Payne series.
  • 🌅 Cauldron Lake is a special place where the protagonist has the power to change things and write the story to make it come true.
  • 🔫 Agent Nightingale points a gun at Alan's head to end episode 4.
  • 🤣 Episode 5 features humorous dialogues between Alan, Sheriff breaker, Barry, and Cynthia.
  • 🧛 The game relies too much on holding off the taken for a prolonged time.
  • 📖 Episode 5 reveals many answers through a large exposition dump and raises new questions.
  • 💡 Thomas Zane's autobiographical memory about the clicker is a key element, which Thomas didn't write but was instead a page written by Thomas Zane.
  • 🎥 The game features TV bits with Alan to offer insight into the dark place and the dark presence.
  • 🎮 The DLC episodes offer more options to combat the taken by using the environment creatively.
  • 🌵 American Nightmare, a spin-off of Alan Wake, takes place in the desert of Night Springs, Arizona.
  • 👥 American Nightmare features Mr. Scratch, the doppelganger of Alan Wake.

Top Bottom