• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I sell my Series S?

Well?

• Yes, you aught.

• No, you aughtn't.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tschumi

Stealth brag Berghult/Granhult post coming up, super sturdy wall shelves with metal fastening, highly recommendable 👌

mrbXqzB.jpg
we should make a ikea furniture appreciation community nush nush

anthony2690

Banned
Them Japanese apartments are small, I can imagine now you've moved in a PS5, you'll probably need all the space you can get.

If you are honestly not bothered about upcoming titles and need the money, shift it, it's not like you can't get another one in a year or so time, if starfield or whatever else become games you feel you must play.

MrTentakel

Starfield will be dealyed and/or a dumpster fire at release. Sell the S now and buy a (used) XSX and fully patched Starfield Summer 2023.

DragonNCM

A month or two ago I sold a bunch of bits and bobs on a Japanese version of ebay and found myself with sufficient credit on the website to cover a brand new XSS. I pounced.

As I waited for it to arrive, I found out the good news: that quite apart from being an underpowered contemporary console, it was actually a wonderfully powerful emulation machine! With some contemporary games attached.

Anyway, I have had a nice month with the thing. I installed Retroarch and eventually got it working, I play a fair few PS2 and gamecube titles (and PSP games in HD), and I've actually played a bit of the Halo Master Chief collection and Red Dead Redemption the First, which I can't seem to find on the playstation store.

But something happened about two weeks ago that has somewhat spoiled my love affair with the little white box. I got a PS5.

The 'bits and bobs' that netted me an XSS turned out to only be a portion of the old tech I was actually willing to sell, and I was able to raise enough through selling a GoPro here and a high def MP3 player there, and my ps4 pro, to snag a PS5 at scalper's prices (I live in Japan, it's statistically impossible to buy a PS5 retail here*, don't judge me, on the plus side I haven't seen another one up for that price since)

And, uh, ever since I got my PS5 my XSS has been entirely untouched. I'm sorry, XSS, I have really enjoyed you but the PS5 is just... your daddy. I won't go further into that because this thread isn't about that.

I'm torn. It's brand new, it cost a lot, it's nice and it can possibly give me access to some good games in future. On the other hand...

It's not holding my attention anymore. I can sell it for a good amount along with a second controller and charge stand. On the other hand, Starfield and TES6 are, I ain't gonna lie, interesting titles. But they're like the only ones I might be interested in, and I don't trust Bethesda, and they could be years away. So.

I'm moving house in a month or so and I'm thinking of selling my XSS to buy a platoon of shelving units from IKEA.

Aught I? Or aughtn't I?

*that could be true but i don't actually know, I'm just saying it for effect

ps. You wish to post "lol i'm not gonna give u an opinion", just don't post lol, it's a fucking forum lower ur standards
If you don't play it, it is dust collector......
If you plan to play some Microsoft exclusives & you don't plan to get XSX don't sell it.
If you plan to get XSX sooner then sell it.

Last edited:

Tschumi

If you don't play it it is dust collector......
If you plan to play some Microsoft exclusives & you don't plan to get XSX don't sell it.
If you plan to get XSX sooner then sell it.
well for what it's worth i'm probably more likely to get a new laptop in a couple of years than an xsx *thoughtful*

Fredrik

Fuck, what a terrible, TERRIBLE looking thing PS5 is. Fuckkkkk...
I already want a Pro or Slim version...Look how slick switch and X looks sitting next to each other...
Haha yeah I know visually it’s the worst gaming system I’ve ever had, especially when lying horizontally.

The XSX also looks wrong lying down though, can’t remove the feet.

RGB'D

Lol. I would wait a couple months. PS5 is great but runs out of content very quickly. I haven't turned mine on in months... If you feel the same way 3-4 months from now then maybe go for it but you have a nice shiny new thing. It's not the best to make decisions on worth when something is this new and your emotions tied to it.

MOTM

Banned
A month or two ago I sold a bunch of bits and bobs on a Japanese version of ebay and found myself with sufficient credit on the website to cover a brand new XSS. I pounced.

As I waited for it to arrive, I found out the good news: that quite apart from being an underpowered contemporary console, it was actually a wonderfully powerful emulation machine! With some contemporary games attached.

Anyway, I have had a nice month with the thing. I installed Retroarch and eventually got it working, I play a fair few PS2 and gamecube titles (and PSP games in HD), and I've actually played a bit of the Halo Master Chief collection and Red Dead Redemption the First, which I can't seem to find on the playstation store.

But something happened about two weeks ago that has somewhat spoiled my love affair with the little white box. I got a PS5.

The 'bits and bobs' that netted me an XSS turned out to only be a portion of the old tech I was actually willing to sell, and I was able to raise enough through selling a GoPro here and a high def MP3 player there, and my ps4 pro, to snag a PS5 at scalper's prices (I live in Japan, it's statistically impossible to buy a PS5 retail here*, don't judge me, on the plus side I haven't seen another one up for that price since)

And, uh, ever since I got my PS5 my XSS has been entirely untouched. I'm sorry, XSS, I have really enjoyed you but the PS5 is just... your daddy. I won't go further into that because this thread isn't about that.

I'm torn. It's brand new, it cost a lot, it's nice and it can possibly give me access to some good games in future. On the other hand...

It's not holding my attention anymore. I can sell it for a good amount along with a second controller and charge stand. On the other hand, Starfield and TES6 are, I ain't gonna lie, interesting titles. But they're like the only ones I might be interested in, and I don't trust Bethesda, and they could be years away. So.

I'm moving house in a month or so and I'm thinking of selling my XSS to buy a platoon of shelving units from IKEA.

Aught I? Or aughtn't I?

ps. You wish to post "lol i'm not gonna give u an opinion", just don't post lol, it's a fucking forum lower ur standards
Sell both and buy the Series X

Fredrik

PS5 is great but runs out of content very quickly. I haven't turned mine on in months... If you feel the same way 3-4 months from now then maybe go for it but you have a nice shiny new thing. It's not the best to make decisions on worth when something is this new and your emotions tied to it.
Yeah I had my 3 months PS5 honeymoon when I barely touched anything else. Then I went back to freeload on Gamepass and for awhile I’ve mostly been waiting for price drops and 2022 releases on PS5. Having only one console would never work for me.

Last edited:

Duchess

Keep both. One will be your main console (PS5) and the other will be for the games that don't arrive on the PlayStation.

Just think about it like being married, but having a mistress on the side, one who is into things your wife isn't all that keen on :)

So the timeline is literally a month. Seems like it's way too early to say you won't use the XSS. 2 weeks is barely a honeymoon period. You will probably miss it in a month or 2. I say keep.

dcmk7

Banned
If you're not using it would make more sense to sell and purchase again should you regret it. It's not like they are scarce.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Only if you have PS5 or XSX, because it will decrease those machines performance and, therefore, hold your current gen back ;)

Now srsly, I don't think you should, it's serving a different purpose for you than the PS5, it's doing something the PS5 cannot and you seem to enjoy it too

Amazed by two things - 1) that you can fit a PS5 in a Japanese apartment, and 2) that someone has now actually used the phrase ‘PS5 is your daddy’.

Finally, I hate myself for wasting part of my life reading this thread.

sainraja

Aught I? Or aughtn't I?

Based on what you said, if you are moving and need those IKEA shelving units, you could sell it and then re-buy it later when it does catch your interest again and hopefully by that point the situation with consoles we have right now wouldn't be as bad, although the Series S (not sure about Japan) is fairly easier to find then the other two.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Amazed by two things - 1) that you can fit a PS5 in a Japanese apartment, and 2) that someone has now actually used the phrase ‘PS5 is your daddy’.

Finally, I hate myself for wasting part of my life reading this thread.
aww u were being so charming until the enddd

Based on what you said, if you are moving and need those IKEA shelving units, you could sell it and then re-buy it later when it does catch your interest again and hopefully by that point the situation with consoles we have right now wouldn't be as bad, although the Series S (not sure about Japan) is fairly easier to find then the other two.
i think i'm liking ur reasoning, i think i shall tread this route.

Hugare

If you have a capable PC, sell it

If you dont, keep it for Game Pass and exclusives down the line

I don't have one because I got a good enough PC to play most things Game Pass

But I certainly would buy one otherwise

I don't know. I'd keep it. And still, get an XSX. You can let friends/family play on the XSS (Halo, BF, Fortnite < MP stuff). Sometimes, it's still super fun to be in the same room together running multiple consoles/TVs all whilst enjoying some good MP action.

Top Bottom