• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I sell my Series S?

Well?

• Yes, you aught.

• No, you aughtn't.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ryu Kaiba

If you have to even make decisions like this your broke…

Sell the PS5 and XSS, when you get more stable financially buy yourself a PS5 and Series X as a reward.

Tschumi

Sell the PS5 and XSS, when you get more stable financially buy yourself a PS5 and Series X as a reward.

Huh?

Tweedle dee'pshit and tweedle dum'bass?

Why do people come to judge my finances instead of give me a valid opinion on my op? Are you such shallow pricks that you can't let an opportunity to virtue signal about your pro finances pass by without jumping on it?

My finances are fine, the logic in my head which says money earned by selling a console is money that can be better spent on expanded storage capabilities is my own business and has no connection to my total bank balance.

I made this post to solicit advice on whether to sell a game console or not sell, specifically, give me your opinion on the game side if things or gtfo

Ryu Kaiba

Huh?

Why do people come to judge my finances instead of give me a valid opinion on my op? Are you such shallow pricks that you can't let an opportunity to virtue signal about your pro finances pass by without jumping on it?

My finances are fine, the logic in my head which says money earned by selling a console is money that can be better spent on expanded storage capabilities is my own business and has no connection to my total bank balance.

I made this post to solicit advice on whether to sell a game console or not sell, specifically, give me your opinion on the game side if things or gtfo
Calling us dumbasses when you post this dumb shit because of your inability to make an adult decision. Its a public forum, we did give you advice. You're free to disregard it and continue making poor financial choices if you want.

Tschumi

Calling us dumbasses when you post this dumb shit because of your inability to make an adult decision. Its a public forum, we did give you advice. You're free to disregard it and continue making poor financial choices if you want.
Your leap to my choice being about finances is projection. That's dumb shit that implies you can't tell the difference between your personal experience and the experience of others, implies you lack imagination and life experience, implies you're a dumbass.

Ryu Kaiba

Your leap to my choice being about finances is projection. That's dumb shit that implies you can't tell the difference between your personal experience and the experience of others, implies you lack imagination and life experience, implies you're a dumbass.
There is no leap, you came in asking strangers if you should sell something you want to keep. You're the one projecting. so angry an defensive at someone commenting on your dumb decisions after you put them up on a public forum. I dont need your life story to tell you this is a decision a rational person should be able to make for themself.

GHG

Gold Member

Suspicious Will Smith GIF

Huh?

Your upset because you didn’t get the answer you wanted ….. ok.

If you brought the XSS in the first place than that means you wanted it so why sell it if this has nothing to do with finances? It’s not like your going to make your $300 back because they are readily in stock. So by selling it you will lose money.

I think my answer to your question was valid, I’ve been in that situation so I can see it clear as day. Like I said, sell both, get your living situation in order and just buy them back later.

I am sure your well aware of the gaming benefits Xbox has already. That’s why you brought the thing in the first place so why go over that again?

Tschumi

Your upset because you didn’t get the answer you wanted ….. ok.

If you brought the XSS in the first place than that means you wanted it so why sell it if this has nothing to do with finances? It’s not like your going to make your $300 back because they are readily in stock. So by selling it you will lose money.

I think my answer to your question was valid, I’ve been in that situation so I can see it clear as day. Like I said, sell both, get your living situation in order and just buy them back later.

I am sure your well aware of the gaming benefits Xbox has already. That’s why you brought the thing in the first place so why go over that again?
I'm going to ignore the surfeit of blind guess bs in your post and answer your rhetorical question in the first paragraph.

I am an adult, i do things other than gaming, in fact thanks to the job that pays me enough to buy a scalper PS5 or XSX many times over a month, if i so choose, after expenses, i have limited hours in which to game.

Simply this: I am only using my PS5 during these gaming hours. I could make good money at current online market prices if i sell the thing, i would consider money raised from the sale to be disposable income (as distinct from the other compartmentalizations in my budgeting) and since I'm moving house I'm looking the look of some robust IKEA storage to hide away my steadily growing mountains of printouts accrued through my work.

With the realisation that emulation is pure escapism, the only thing preventing me from selling the XSS is that a) it's really hard to play red dead redemption 1 without it and b) Bethesda might release two legit games in future.

So i wanted to hear my friends and their opinions, weighing potential gaming with the XSS against the logic of not keeping something you don't use.

I was aware that wankers might just try to shit on me, 5 pages in i decided to bite back.

Ozriel

M$FT
OP buys a Series S, claims to hate Gamepass and thus does not subscribe for Gamepass on a discless console that was largely designed as an affordable entrypoint to Gamepass.

Then after turning his back on hundreds of games, including multple 2021 GOTY candidates, he says there are 'no games' to play.

Best to sell it ASAP.

PS: People questioning his finances are out of line. If you've got stuff you're not using, best to sell and repurpose the cash to something else.

RGB'D

I'm going to ignore the surfeit of blind guess bs in your post and answer your rhetorical question in the first paragraph.

I am an adult, i do things other than gaming, in fact thanks to the job that pays me enough to buy a scalper PS5 or XSX many times over a month, if i so choose, after expenses, i have limited hours in which to game.

Simply this: I am only using my PS5 during these gaming hours. I could make good money at current online market prices if i sell the thing, i would consider money raised from the sale to be disposable income (as distinct from the other compartmentalizations in my budgeting) and since I'm moving house I'm looking the look of some robust IKEA storage to hide away my steadily growing mountains of printouts accrued through my work.

With the realisation that emulation is pure escapism, the only thing preventing me from selling the XSS is that a) it's really hard to play red dead redemption 1 without it and b) Bethesda might release two legit games in future.

So i wanted to hear my friends and their opinions, weighing potential gaming with the XSS against the logic of not keeping something you don't use.

I was aware that wankers might just try to shit on me, 5 pages in i decided to bite back.
No offense man. If you don't want to have your motivations questioned, don't start the OP saying crap like PS5 is daddy.

This entire thread reads like a subtle attempt at console warring. Everybody giving you reasons to keep it are turned down for reasons? If you don't want the Series S, get rid of it. If all you use it for is red dead and emulation, then If that isn't worth enough to you sell it..

But enjoy really having nothing to play on PS5 in the meantime. If I could guarantee I could buy a PS5 again when GOW comes out, I would sell it today because it hasn't been turned on in months and that doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon...

Tschumi

OP buys a Series S, claims to hate Gamepass and thus does not subscribe for Gamepass on a discless console that was largely designed as an affordable entrypoint to Gamepass.

Then after turning his back on hundreds of games, including multple 2021 GOTY candidates, he says there are 'no games' to play.

Best to sell it ASAP.

PS: People questioning his finances are out of line. If you've got stuff you're not using, best to sell and repurpose the cash to something else.
I've made no such claim here, though it's true i don't use gamepass, that's a different question for threads about if you want to own your games or rent them.

I think the XSS console is an affordable way to play XSX games.

I mean a 2021 goty candidate isn't implicitly great for everyone. I've looked, my purchase finger has itched, I've left with no new titles.

I have no way of knowing if this was a game you were referring to, but earlier Psychonauts 2 was cited as an xbox game i might like - just saying into the ether here that Psychonauts 2 is on PlayStation,too.

Ty for the words on the economics trolls

No offense man. If you don't want to have your motivations questioned, don't start the OP saying crap like PS5 is daddy.

This entire thread reads like a subtle attempt at console warring. Everybody giving you reasons to keep it are turned down for reasons? If you don't want the Series S, get rid of it. If all you use it for is red dead and emulation, then If that isn't worth enough to you sell it..

But enjoy really having nothing to play on PS5 in the meantime. If I could guarantee I could buy a PS5 again when GOW comes out, I would sell it today because it hasn't been turned on in months and that doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon...
No offence taken, but I did find a few things to disagree with in your post. The post actually reads like you're incapable of talking about this stuff without seeing it as a war, for one. That's a bummer.

In terms of everything Tschumi currently values in a next gen console, PS5 is the better of the two options he owns by some margin. It also costs way more so that's about right.

"Having nothing to play on PS5" that's a narrative, honed on the console battlefields you live in, not a reality. Like most throwaway disses it's flimsy. I'm currently chowing down on multiple games, a few more i haven't even got to yet, and I've got elden ring and gt7 on preorder, have yet to preorder horizon FW and haven't even got my hands of Ratchet and Clank yet, I've no worries about content.

Actually considering what I've said so far in this thread I would suggest to you that, before you even suggested PS5 had no games, i was actually asserting that Xbox was the one lacking games to hook me in. So your narrative was already countered before you wrote it.

I've decided to sell the thing, not keeping something you don't use is a sound philosophy to me. If i was so high on RDR 1 i would have played it at some point since i got my PS5.

Last edited:

RGB'D

I've made no such claim here, though it's true i don't use gamepass, that's a different question for threads about if you want to own your games or rent them.

I think the XSS console is an affordable way to play XSX games.

I mean a 2021 goty candidate isn't implicitly great for everyone. I've looked, my purchase finger has itched, I've left with no new titles.

I have no way of knowing if this was a game you were referring to, but earlier Psychonauts 2 was cited as an xbox game i might like - just saying into the ether here that Psychonauts 2 is on PlayStation,too.

Ty for the words on the economics trolls

No offence taken, but I did find a few things to disagree with in your post. The post actually reads like you're incapable of talking about this stuff without seeing it as a war, for one. That's a bummer.

In terms of everything Tschumi currently values in a next gen console, PS5 is the better of the two options he owns by some margin. It also costs way more so that's about right.

"Having nothing to play on PS5" that's a narrative, honed on the console battlefields you live in, not a reality. Like most throwaway disses it's flimsy. I'm currently chowing down on multiple games, a few more i haven't even got to yet, and I've got elden ring and gt7 on preorder, have yet to preorder horizon FW and haven't even got my hands of Ratchet and Clank yet, I've no worries about content.

Actually considering what I've said so far in this thread I would suggest to you that, before you even suggested PS5 had no games, i was actually asserting that Xbox was the one lacking games to hook me in. So your narrative was already countered before you wrote it.

I've decided to sell the thing, not keeping something you don't use is a sound philosophy to me. If i was so high on RDR 1 i would have played it at some point since i got my PS5.
I'm not saying they didn't have any games. They just don't have any games now. I beat Returnal, Ratchet, Spiderman: MM, Astrobot, and Deathloop. Don't like Souls games so Demons Souls does nothing for me. Again, I'm not the one calling a console Daddy. You don't see that as strange?

Man I got my PS5. It was fun. But since I beat Deathloop months ago, I have had nothing to play on it. Horizon should be pretty good. I hope GOW comes out this year. It's not a tired narrative. It's literally my experience right now. There's just nothing to play on my PS5.

Last edited:
It's literally my experience right now. There's just nothing to play on my PS5.
Definitely been my least used system this year.

But PS5 is getting lots of heavy hitters next year and a few standout indies that could be good. Should be plenty to play on all 3 next year.

Tschumi

I'm not saying they didn't have any games. They just don't have any games now. I beat Returnal, Ratchet, Spiderman: MM, Astrobot, and Deathloop. Don't like Souls games so Demons Souls does nothing for me. Again, I'm not the one calling a console Daddy. You don't see that as strange?

Man I got my PS5. It was fun. But since I beat Deathloop months ago, I have had nothing to play on it. Horizon should be pretty good. I hope GOW comes out this year. It's not a tired narrative. It's literally my experience right now. There's just nothing to play on my PS5.
Definitely been my least used system this year.

But PS5 is getting lots of heavy hitters next year and a few standout indies that could be good. Should be plenty to play on all 3 next year.

I dunno I'm just not there yet guys, for me it's still got plenty of content, and I'm happy playing through a few ps4 games that I'd not yet finished too. Not liking demons' souls (give it a real try, i advise) doesn't mean it's a "nothing" game.

PS5 is, for me, better in every way than XSS, hence "daddy", try not to care so much about words i typed a week+ ago

Last edited:
I dunno I'm just not there yet guys, for me it's still got plenty of content, and I'm happy playing through a few ps4 games that I'd not yet finished too. Not liking demons' souls (give it a real try, i advise) doesn't mean it's a "nothing" game.

PS5 is, for me, better in every way than XSS, hence "daddy", try not to care so much about words i typed a week+ ago
Demon's Souls is great. I beat it in November 2020. Best PS5 game still by a mile.

If you're playing PS4 games, that's fine. One of the best libraries ever. I'm just now getting around to playing Horizon 1.

Ozriel

M$FT
I thought it was useless from the Get-Go. Specs are mediocre, will definitely struggle even more mid-gen.

Nah. It won’t ‘struggle’ the way something like the Xbox One S is struggling right now. A cheaper device running games at a lower resolution with a few effects pared back isn’t ‘struggling’. It’ll most likely run games at the same framerate with the bigger consoles. And it’s inevitable they’ll have an AI reconstruction tech in place for later.

I think many of you don’t realize that people who buy the cheap, $299 option already know to manage their expectations. And that good looking games still tend to look good with a few nips and tucks here and there. There’s a reason many XSS owners are pleasantly surprised how good the games look running on the hardware.

It's not a tired narrative. It's literally my experience right now. There's just nothing to play on my PS5.

OP just got his PS5, so there’s a lot of stuff for him to play.

Karmic Raze

I’ll raise your selling the XSS and ask everyone if I should buy it? I am going to save up for a Series X, but I could get the Series S now and sell it to combine with my funds to get the Series X in a few months. Just don’t feel like waiting to play games again. I’m impatient.

Kagey K

Banned
I’ll raise your selling the XSS and ask everyone if I should buy it? I am going to save up for a Series X, but I could get the Series S now and sell it to combine with my funds to get the Series X in a few months. Just don’t feel like waiting to play games again. I’m impatient.
It's a personal choice, is it worth it for you to play some games now? Or wait it out a bit, only you can make that choice.

Tschumi

The XSS is great if you like the titles on offer. Also, it's legal to emulate on the XSS with things like retroarch so you can play most of your favourite gamecube, ps2 and even Dreamcast games on it.

My thread is just saying that, no, there aren't enough titles on offer that i like and, no, i realise emulation isn't such a big deal to me. But this are personal answers to open questions.

If you like what's on offer and won't be getting a more powerful console for a while, i say go for it.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
You're gonna buy it anyway because you want to, but I say no - wait for the Series X.

RGB'D

I didn't say it was a nothing game. It just does nothing for me. I tried 2 dark souls and Seikiro, realized that I would never waste money on another game that I didn't enjoy. I get why it's fun for some. That's why I said nothing for me lol.

I guess we have different tastes is all. But like I said earlier, you have a brand new console. Of course it's new and shiny. If you wanted my objective opinion after having both for over a year, they are both absolutely worth having but my Series (mostly because of gamepass) is better in my opinion and gets way more use from me (what you were asking in the OP). Even in the doldrums of the beginning of the gen for Microsoft, I was still gaming a ton courtesy of GP. I don't have much now for PS5 and hope it changes in 2022 but if GOW doesn't land it will basically be Horizon and maybe forespoken if it turns out well (I'm hoping but a little worried). I prefer arcade racers like Forza horizon/need for speed but might try GT7 once it comes down in price if it reviews really well.

As far as console warring. I actually responded earlier with nothing accusatory, but as this thread wore on, given your op and basically unwillingness to be able to find any value in gamepass (so many diverse games and genres). It just read as subtle warring (and this is neogaf, you can't make it 5 seconds without console warring). I apologize if that isn't true. I think selling it is the right decision for you, but am wondering why you bought one in the first place? Just for emulation? Seems like a whole lot of work given all the item trading you had to do for something you didn't want 🤷‍♂️.

Karmic Raze

I’m probably just going to hold out, because I’ll have enough at the beginning of February to get an XSX. No point in buying an XSS now when I can just wait a month.

S0ULZB0URNE

Do you have a decent PC?
I would wait instead of buying a xss and play some of these games on the PC while I waited.

iHaunter

Nah. It won’t ‘struggle’ the way something like the Xbox One S is struggling right now. A cheaper device running games at a lower resolution with a few effects pared back isn’t ‘struggling’. It’ll most likely run games at the same framerate with the bigger consoles. And it’s inevitable they’ll have an AI reconstruction tech in place for later.

I think many of you don’t realize that people who buy the cheap, $299 option already know to manage their expectations. And that good looking games still tend to look good with a few nips and tucks here and there. There’s a reason many XSS owners are pleasantly surprised how good the games look running on the hardware.

OP just got his PS5, so there’s a lot of stuff for him to play.
Matrix demo was like 720p man.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Series S is brilliant. If you buy one I’d wager that you’d second guess selling it for an X later down the line.

Ozriel

M$FT
Matrix demo was like 720p man.

Yes. The same unoptimized title that the flagship consoles were running at 1020p - 1200p, at 30fps with drops.
One would expect a shipping title to be a lot more optimized.

Worth noting that these are internal native resolutions, with UE5s TSR (temporal super resolution) tech reconstructing the image to 4K in the flagships and 1080p in Series S.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My series s is now set up in my daughters room On a 1080p tv and the system is dope!
what a little bad ass.

id say keep it until you can get an X and then keep it anyway for a spare room, maybe.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

Series S is brilliant. If you buy one I’d wager that you’d second guess selling it for an X later down the line.
Maybe I should get the S then. Then indefinitely put the X on hold. I honestly think I’d be more than happy with the S. I’ve had the X before… But never the S. If I can start gaming right away then that would be a godsend. I just don’t do good waiting on stuff.

The only thing is Walmart is the sole online store I see with it in stock now, but the Fortnite/Rocket League bundle is $334 instas of $229. I’d probably just eat the extra price, though. I am kinda hoping Amazon gets more in stock. They seem to keep getting more every other day.

EDIT: Microsoft has it for $299. Just the console. Not the bundle, but does anyone know how they ship their products? UPS/FedEx or USPS?

Last edited:

elliot5

Maybe I should get the S then. Then indefinitely put the X on hold. I honestly think I’d be more than happy with the S. I’ve had the X before… But never the S. If I can start gaming right away then that would be a godsend. I just don’t do good waiting on stuff.

The only thing is Walmart is the sole online store I see with it in stock now, but the Fortnite/Rocket League bundle is $334 instas of $229. I’d probably just eat the extra price, though. I am kinda hoping Amazon gets more in stock. They seem to keep getting more every other day.
Where are you located? I see the Fortnite bundle available at BB where I am and also direct from MS on eBay (standard edition)

Karmic Raze

West Virginia. Closest Best Buy is like an hour away and it just says to check stores. I do see the one from Microsoft on eBay, though. Would I regret getting the XSS over the XSX? Or do you think it would suffice?

elliot5

West Virginia. Closest Best Buy is like an hour away and it just says to check stores. I do see the one from Microsoft on eBay, though. Would I regret getting the XSS over the XSX? Or do you think it would suffice?
Depends on how much you plan on playing it, what your budget is, and if you have a nice 4K TV. I have both and enjoy both. To me it’s hard to tell any significant difference between the two on some lower end tvs and most titles are still 60 fps anyway so I’m still enjoying it.

If you can spend the $500 no problem and intend on using the Xbox a lot then I’d recommend an XSX. Otherwise, there’s nothing wrong with going S. Keep in mind its digital Only so if you have decent enough internet in WV then you’ll be ok

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

Yeah, I have good internet here. My 4K TV is good. I mean, it’s like 3 years old at least l, but it doesn’t to my knowledge even support HDMI 2.1, so… It’s a 50” Samsung, so it’s quality built, but I don’t know if it would pull everything out of the XSX anyways. When I had an XSX I was never really blown away. Probably due to my TV.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

If the money isn't an object, then i will always recommend the X over the S.
Not just for the added visual fidelity - though the little box still packs a lot of punch. Storage is also a key concern. If you get a Series S and get really into Gamepass, you'll fill that drive pretty fast.

Given that even the 'cheap' 500GB expansion card is $100+, it narrows the price gap to the Series X.

If you think storage might be a concern, It might be judicious to wait. Or buy the Series S will the expectation that you'd sell it off as soon as the XsX becomes more available.

Karmic Raze

I don’t really mind deleting and re-downloading games. I wouldn’t buy the expansion card. Also, I would definitely sell it when the XSX is more readily available too. But now I’m torn between the XSS and the Switch OLED. I don’t know what I want right now to be perfectly honest. I’ve got to choose one over the other, though.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I don’t really mind deleting and re-downloading games. I wouldn’t buy the expansion card. Also, I would definitely sell it when the XSX is more readily available too. But now I’m torn between the XSS and the Switch OLED. I don’t know what I want right now to be perfectly honest. I’ve got to choose one over the other, though.
Buy a Switch now AND a Series X when you have the money. Then you will have both ;)

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Series X is absolutely better if you can find it and are willing to spend 500 bucks but you're going to need extra storage for Series X as well.

I have an external SSD hooked up, this at least saves your internal storage from all legacy content but even some X|S branded games like SoT and MCC work on it.

iHaunter

Yes. The same unoptimized title that the flagship consoles were running at 1020p - 1200p, at 30fps with drops.
One would expect a shipping title to be a lot more optimized.

Worth noting that these are internal native resolutions, with UE5s TSR (temporal super resolution) tech reconstructing the image to 4K in the flagships and 1080p in Series S.
You're missing the point entirely. It's struggling at the start of the gen. It'll struggle even more later.

cireza

Banned
I’m pretty settled on buying the Switch OLED today
I don't know why you want a Switch but I hope that you know precisely what you are going to get with it. Better lower your expectations, on a technical point of view. For the same price, Series S is a million time better, unless you are planning to play handheld. In this case, a Switch Lite is much better suited, even though ambitious games still look and run like poop on it (that's the same on OLED/normal Switch of course). Smaller screen helps mitigating the issue, but does not miracles.

If you already have a Switch, upgrading is utterly pointless. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
You're missing the point entirely. It's struggling at the start of the gen. It'll struggle even more later.
The early titles are not even taking full advantage of the system's features. It is not wise to judge a system's potential based on early unoptimized cross generational titles. No system in history has ever performed worse as developers gain experience using the hardware. Look at the PS3 for instance. The early games looked considerably worse than games at the end of the generation.

Top Bottom