• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Microsoft discontinue the Xbox Series S when next-gen only games become more common and Series X production improves next year?

Should Microsoft discontinue the Xbox Series S?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spons

Gold Member
Couple of points both pro-consumer and pro-Microsoft:
1. It's the "bad yield box", so they can repurpose Series X GPUs.
2. It's fucking cheap. You could have bought one almost this entire month for 220 dollars/euros. This is an excellent entry point to dedicated gaming in general, as it rivals the Switch Lite.
3. Graphical settings can be tuned, they already do this for all the PC ports so why the dick would it be a problem with the Series S?
4. A console isn't throw-away like cloud gaming is. I think it's a far better way to get someone in the ecosystem.
5. Marketing is heavily Game Pass these days, which could lower price perception for some people, and for them the Series S is the cheaper solution.

This thing isn't going anywhere.

The only thing they fucked up is the amount of RAM. That should've been the same as the One X, so you can have One X-enhanced backwards compatible games. I have no idea why they made this 5 buck choice on a system that consistently sells under the original price anyway.

Ev1L AuRoN

Series S made Microsoft competitive with Sony, it would be a shot in a foot to discontinue it. I think it's easier for Sony to make a PS5 competitive to the S than Microsoft dropping the Series S.

75oxjq.jpg

Winter John

Honestly, I'm concerned. I'm worried. Today families on tight budgets can buy a next gen console for only $220. Think of all them kids opening their Xmas presents and the unbelievable joy they'll feel when they see that shiny new S. Do you see the problem? Do you see the humanitarian disaster bubbling under the surface? That's right. None of those kids will be playing Last of us 2.

#PrayForNeil

It’s an entry-level system that brings new users into the ecosystem that don’t want to or can’t spend $500, the very last thing they’ll do is discontinue it. As long as this generation goes for, Series S or some variation of it is here to stay.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
It really should be a bannable offense to continue this inane conversation that somehow the series s makes any difference to the series x.

It doesn’t, at worst devs will treat the s port as a throw away … lower all settings and go home. I think some of your do not realize that textures and sound takes up way more than half the memory in a game these days. Just lowering those and you can make a game like crisis core r run on a switch.
Lest see when next gen only games start to roll out.

Xdrive05

Uhh... Series S is a $300 (at most!) console that runs Unreal Engine 5.1 with Lumen and Nanite at 60fps. They would be insane to discontinue that.

It literally makes the newest games available to a world of consumers who, in these economic times, can't afford a $500 (+) investment for entertainment hardware, and probably don't even have 4K TVs anyway.

And if it gets cheaper as MSRP, the case for it goes up not down.

twilo99

Yup, they need to kill the series S and just drop the price of the series X down to 200 dollars while they are at it, then all the people that the series S is designed for don't have to miss out on gaming and can just get a series X. Actually they should just kill the series S and the series X and give everyone a pc with a 4090 gpu in it for 250 dollars..plus free game pass. Yeah, free game pass for everyone for ever including all free games and free online....

Also...if you buy one and say you have kids they give you free controllers, and free headsets...

That should do the trick.

I like this. The series x at $50 will be a great deal and they should give away the series S for free with a $100 Amazon gift cards.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Uhh... Series S is a $300 (at most!) console that runs Unreal Engine 5.1 with Lumen and Nanite at 60fps. They would be insane to discontinue that.

It literally makes the newest games available to a world of consumers who, in these economic times, can't afford a $500 (+) investment for entertainment hardware, and probably don't even have 4K TVs anyway.

And if it gets cheaper as MSRP, the case for it goes up not down.
So far, the Series S is best selling Xbox console right?

clampzyn

OP thinks Series S should be discontinued because people are living with the same US/EU salary all over the world, shows how some people are so privileged they forgot there are a lot of people that can only afford much, even a 300$ console on a lot countries is a luxury to have let alone getting a 500$ console.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

So far, the Series S is best selling Xbox console right?
Don't know and that's irrelevant this early in the console gen. We're still in the leading years when almost all console buyers are still in the "early adopters" demo. Once that market saturates, you're left with a whole demo of casual players needing consoles, and those guys and gals are much more likely to buy in at $300 than $500, or more likely $250 than $500 by that point.

EDIT: sorry, I misread your post

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I think the opposite would be better. Get rid of the series X and make series S the main machine.

Is outselling Series X, is more affordable, devs only need to focus in one SKU. Down the line it can use the cloud to offer more demanding games.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Don't know and that's irrelevant this early in the console gen. We're still in the leading years when almost all console buyers are still in the "early adopters" demo. Once that market saturates, you're left with a whole demo of casual players needing consoles, and those guys and gals are much more likely to buy in at $300 than $500, or more likely $250 than $500 by that point.
That is what I am saying

Banned
No, that makes zero sense, but they should add a portable hybrid at the exact same spec for more money that supports series S profile.

that is definitely the way to go forward imo.

Valve showed a high power handheld is something that has an audience, and the Series S' hardware will most likely soon be efficient and small enough to make this a reality.

The Series S isn't as bad as people think it is, and given PC gaming exists the only possible games that could be held back would be 3rd party games that aren't planning on ever releasing on PC, and even then unless they're trash at optimizing it won't be holding back the Series X that much, even if the Series S games gradually become near-unplayable

DaGwaphics

What an absolutely insane idea. The end of cross-gen is when the XSS will come into its own.

XSS has sold well even during the cross-gen phase which represented its least marketable period (because users that aren't consumed by pixel counts can still use their old consoles), would be the dumbest move in history to cancel it once new games force users to migrate.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Anecdotally, I had two family members, independent of each other, buy Series S for their teen kids for Xmas, and the kids love it. Granted, it's a Fortnite/CoD box mainly, but I had one of them playing Sonic Frontiers by the end of my visit. The system works really well for a kid's bedroom setup.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Anecdotally, I had two family members, independent of each other, buy Series S for their teen kids for Xmas, and the kids love it. Granted, it's a Fortnite/CoD box mainly, but I had one of them playing Sonic Frontiers by the end of my visit. The system works really well for a kid's bedroom setup.
It was selling like hotcakes over here on Christmas.

I don't like seeing anyone banned regardless of how stupid thier posts are, but we maybe could see a discontinuation of his post making privileges until he learns to use them responsibly.

I find it funny Xbox fans call for bad things to happen to op when it's a criticism of Xbox, completely forgetting Eddie spend a whole month pushing the Series S.

But when he makes a PS related thread you all disappear.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I find it funny Xbox fans call for bad things to happen to op when it's a criticism of Xbox, completely forgetting Eddie spend a whole month pushing the Series S.

But when he makes a PS related thread you all disappear.

I'm not asking for anything bad to happen to the OP. I'm just in here having fun.

op was criticising Xbox? I thought he was just making a joke.... ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom