• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Resident Evil 5 get a remake next?

iorek21

It's the next natural step, it would really benefit from a redesign to fix some stuff and make it more Survival Horror-like.

Also, the co-op seems to be an opportunity that Capcom wouldn't miss, specially if they include a co-op mode for Mercenaries.

Besides, would they really miss out the opportunity of making a version of Wesker in the RE Engine?

To this day, some people actually believe the rocket missed Wesker's head. I remember reading about it in the past.

Come on. He's chargrilled sauce, baby.

I do miss Wesker nonetheless. He always made the games feel great. But that was 2009. Things have changed.

Matt_Fox

Having played RE4: Remake now... how can anyone in their right mind not want RE5?

Capcom know how to do action!

More GIF by Shorty Awards

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I think the grand finale of this remake series will be RE REmake
and maybe in a new engine. RE Engine is showing some cracks here and there. Not sure if is a development thing or the engine itself that doesn't catch the hardware, but for sure have technical problems

@thread
Code Veronica now, 5 later. And I hope they get Chris now. He changed more in the series than I bought underwear

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

After RE4, RE5 would indeed be an insanely glorious action fest, and mercenaries reunion would be mindblowing.
But don't bother if you can't get DC douglas back to say '7 minutes, 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you'.

Calverz

Yea I would rather a code veronica remake next. RE5 is just so average and Sheva was annoying/dumb as fuck. In saying that, it would be cool to play one of these modern RE games in co-op...

Madflavor

I'd prefer Code Veronica next, but after completing RE4R, I think they're obviously setting up RE5 next.

I don't think they'd go through the trouble giving Albert Wesker a new model and voice, for a brief cameo, if they didn't plan on using him. And the ending sets up RE5 more than the OG RE4 did.

Madflavor

The Majini were diverse. They had white and asian models if I'm not mistaken. The Tribal enemies on the other hand.

Needlecrash

Playing through Resident Evil 4 Remake, a remake of 5 would be fucking incredible. If this does happen, I really hope that they contact the licensed firearm manufacturers (Smith & Wesson, Benelli, Sig Sauer) to use their sounds and likenesses for enhanced realism and authenticity for the firearms that's used in the game.

Last edited:
At this point, they better remake everything and change the stupid setpieces of 5 and 6. RE5 was a huge departure from the other Resident Evil games, a lot more than 4 ever, at least, RE4 knew how to balance tense moments, a bit of horror, and action. RE5 doubled down on the action and setpieces, then RE6 was simply a pure action game (which I love btw but it wasn't more a survival horror and shouldn't have been marketed like that).

Don't forget to remake Code Veronica as well. I want Capcom to bring back characters like Sheva, Jake, Helena, and Sherry to the mainline series but they need to rework the whole of RE5 and RE6.

OH, and bring Hunk back!

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Well after RE4R they're going to have to make a choice. Continue with Remakes or end it there. If they continue with Remakes they basically have three choices:

A. RE1R (so a 2nd Remake)
B. Code Veronica Remake
C. RE5R

I personally hope for Code Veronica Remake because I love the Remake version of Claire, and it's a flawed game that could be improved by a Remake. However that's not how the world works, so they're going to go for RE5, which is one of their best selling entries in the franchise. After that though, either put the Remakes to bed or just make Code Veronica, because nobody wants a remake of RE6.
I feel like CV would be remade first due to fan demand. Though, if 5 got remade I wouldn't be upset.

Whether you want more remakes or not, Capcom sees the franchise as one big cash cow. In fact, Capcom should be renamed Ca$hcom with the amount of times they've been whoring out remakes, or going back to Raccoon City like, 6,653,781 different times.

Anyway, I don't think they give a hoot about remaking CV. I reckon they should probably remake the original RE again so the glorious 2002 remake doesn't get compared to the new remakes. Although I guess RE4 was a lot more faithful than 2 and 3 were. But the 2002 game just has a completely different feeling altogether. So remaking RE 1 in the style of 2 and 3 would make the remakes feel more complete, I guess.

Raccoon City unfortunately, keeps being revisited, when I feel it's time to move beyond 1998. You cannot do a post Raccoon City game about the city itself, so they just keep on giving alternative takes on what occurred. Maybe the city could be rebuilt someday, but that would be scraping it big time.

Seriously...

I think they've probably did at least ten or so different takes on Raccoon City's final hours since the city was blown up in 1999. We've had the on rails games, various spin offs, a non canon game, movies, a Netflix series, and the remakes. So yeah. It probably is about ten times by this point.

Do a new city. Call it Possum City. There! 😎

Exede

Resident Evil 1 needs a ReRe... make or Code Veronica needs a Remake to make it actually a good entry

Or...make a ReDino Crysis

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I would welcome RE5 remake. They can improve it by a lot with current-tech. Shadows, sun blind... they can implement all that now. They can update Sheva to Ashley or Helena levels, not being a nuisance. All in all I think RE5 has potential to sell gangbusters all over again since there should be room for a co-op experience now. And don't forget Mercs, RE5 is easily the most popular RE when it comes to competitive and scoreboard modes. RE5 also had the best shooting and melee mechanics, it was an improved 4 with ground stomps, and contextual melee depending on what limb you targeted.

RE6 they can leave alone. Its a 25 hour piece of shit game with a story thats just impossible to redeem. Even for RE standards this story was ridiculous.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
RE4 Remake ending "spoilers" but hardly

They're doing RE5 next.

BaneIsPain

Quite obvious, but I do hope they will put a lot of thought on RE6 remake after that.

And spare some love on Code Veronica.

They could do Resident Evil 5 next but I feel like it would ironically need the most work to bring it in line with recent releases. The bright environments, the lack of puzzles, no real hub like locations other that the lake and the final third act that feels like Gears of War. They should start the game inside the Spencer Mansion like the DLC and expand it adding zombies.

AllyITA

to me ps360 era games do not need a remake, they are perfectly playable as they are.
if you can find a (legal) way to play them, offcourse.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'd prefer Code Veronica next, but after completing RE4R, I think they're obviously setting up RE5 next.

I don't think they'd go through the trouble giving Albert Wesker a new model and voice, for a brief cameo, if they didn't plan on using him. And the ending sets up RE5 more than the OG RE4 did.
Same could be said about Code Veronica though - and for that one they also already have a new Claire model. For RE5 on the other hand both Chris and Sheva have to be recast (assuming they don't take the RE8 model of Chris).

Madflavor

Same could be said about Code Veronica though - and for that one they also already have a new Claire model. For RE5 on the other hand both Chris and Sheva have to be recast (assuming they don't take the RE8 model of Chris).
I'd prefer they remake Code Veronica next but I think they're doing RE5. That's where the money is at. If they get the same dev team from 2 and 4 to do 5, then I'm totally game for it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'd prefer they remake Code Veronica next but I think they're doing RE5. That's where the money is at. If they get the same dev team from 2 and 4 to do 5, then I'm totally game for it.
Same here mate. But you know, as RE fan deep down I hope they do CV first after all. It's the only remaining RE that desperately needs reworking.

I'm a big fan of RE5, but is the nostalgic mass appeal there to justify a remake? In a GAF bubble, it would seem so, but in the larger world? Not so sure. I'm guessing they put the RE3R team/fewer resources on/into it for that reason.

tkscz

Code Veronica needs one first, but I digress. I believe RE5 does need a remake.

The original is fun when in co-op but when playing by yourself you start noticing it's short comings.

A lot of the level design is more focused around the co-op and it feels like a lot of enemy placement is as well.

Revamping the level design and enemies to work different if the playing plays alone or in co-op would go a long way.

Along with couch co-op not doing that thing where parts of the screen are cut off because of resolution and giving the option for vertical split screen that becomes one screen if the players are close enough together.

Resident Evil 4 Remake is coming out soon and with that out of the way Capcom could be thinking what's the next big Remake they could do in the franchise.
There's still Code Veronica and Resident Evil (second remake) in the way for other options.

But since they're sticking with the main ones in order, 2, 3, 4...

Should Resident Evil 5 get a remake? If so, what should and should not be changed?

Let's remember a little bit of RE5:
  • It was the big staple for co-op Resident Evil
  • It brought the real time inventory management
  • Story was all over the place and finally turned RE into anime RE
  • Playing Single Player was a pain in the ass with the poor companion AI
  • There was a lot of controversy calling the game racist because you shoot back people
  • It's the best selling RE game
Yes but after Code Veronica gets remade. Because that game needs it more.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Calling RE5 racist is absolute mental woketard babble and I'll be royally pissed if Capcom will be peer pressured into either abandoning or completely retconning this game. It deserves another chance to correct any mistakes that it made in the past, but the setting of the game is absolutely not one of those mistakes.

Hell, even the main cast who voiced the main characters of this game knew better.

SkylineRKR

The male VA is spot on. RE has taken place on numerous continents, just play the game.

Ofcourse its not racist. RE5 happens to take place in Africa, where a virus outbreak happened and the population changed into mindless savages. Just like Plagas was unleashed on a Spanish island, infecting the locals there. And the virus outbreak in the US with the first 3 games. I believe RE5's fictional location is based on Nigeria, as it uses their currency. So yeah, there happen to be black people there and in fiction they can mutate into zombies all the same.

If the first RE game isn't remade in a similar way to 2 and 3, newbies who aren't interested in the old games whatsoever may not know who Albert Wesker even is. But what's funnier is that an important scene in CV sets up RE5 and if Capcom doesn't remake that one either, then nobody will know about Wesker who only plays the new games.

Remember, we basically have to pretend the remakes are new to well, the new age gamers. We obviously know who he is. But they may not.

Top Bottom