• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shu Takumi has mixed feelings about Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

While Shu Takumi wrote the story for Professor Layton Vs Ace Attorney, he had nothing to do with the forthcoming 3DS game Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies. Takumi told us what it felt like to leave his creation in the hands of other Capcom employees.

"I do have mixed feelings about if sometimes, admitted Takumi. "For instance, I was really surprised to see that after we focused on the new character of Apollo in the fourth game, the Dual Destinies team decided to bring Phoenix back. Ultimately, though, having creators other than myself take the helm is a valid choice, as it brings new directions and new story possibilities."

http://www.officialnintendomagazine...t-phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-dual-destinies/

Fireblend

Banned
Huh. I thought
it was obvious Phoenix would be back for the fifth game since the fourth one ends with him taking his bar exam again
, regardless of whether Shu Takumi directed it or not.

Zalman

Sad to hear he feels that way. Let's see how the game turns out without his help.

Also looking forward to seeing what he's working on now that the Professor Layton crossover is done.

daxgame

He's right. Apollo also sold well, at least in Japan, so I was a bit surprised too. I am a bit sad that good ol' Shu didn't direct this - I knew it though - but it still looks great. And I can't wait to play Layton vs AA too.

Lusankya

Funny how Apollo got more characterization and actual turn at the spotlight in Destinies compared to 4.

After AA5 was released in Japan, Apollo also got the most votes in a popularity poll. So I guess the new team did a far better job on portraying Apollo than Takumi himself.

Einhander

This sounds like when Inafune commented that he had wanted the Mega Man X series to end at Mega Man X5 after he finished it and went on to work on Mega Man Zero, but when Capcom decided to continue making new X games, he was upset because that ruined the continuity of the X series -> Zero series, since X's story was supposed to end there and Zero's was to continue in the new series. They brought back X and Zero in Mega Man X6, X7 and X8.

GSR

Deal with it Takumi

Maybe next time you won't fuck around for 4 years :p

A few things:

1. Ghost Trick was fucking amazing, as stated above
2. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright took way more time than anyone expected. They've stated in a number of interviews that development was very challenging.
3. Dude wanted to call it quits on AA after AJ anyway. Can't blame him for that.

Shengar

Apollo is much more likeable in 5 than in 4, that's for sure.

IN AJ, cases that doesn't involve
Kristoph Gavin
are pretty bad. I guess this time the writer nailed it with the right cases for Apollo just like Phoenix with Trial and Tribulation.

Wazzy

Banned
Funny how Apollo got more characterization and actual turn at the spotlight in Destinies compared to 4.

I know 4 didn't focus enough on Apollo and develop him but is this really fair? He would have had another full game to expand on Apollo without having to deal with reintroducing Phoenix.

Hold up, Ghost Trick was fucking amazing.

A few things:

2. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright took way more time than anyone expected. They've stated in a number of interviews that development was very challenging.
3. Dude wanted to call it quits on AA after AJ anyway. Can't blame him for that.

If you want to call it quits on a franchise, don't start a new trilogy? Or at the very least don't drop sequel hooks in that damn game?

And my issue is more with Layton vs Wright, since that's a spinoff and took fucking forever

I am indifferent on Ghost Trick as I haven't played it, but again, if you want to do a new IP, do it before you start your old franchise up again dammit :p

Mind you, I'm also kind of salty as to how Apollo Justice was, so I might not be the best indicator for fair and balanced opinions regarding that

I would feel bad but the writing for Ghost trick was ultimately underwhelming so it's hard to tell if Dual destinies would have been better under Takumi.

Play it. NOW!

How could you miss out on a great game like Ghost Trick?

I only play good games

*runs*

Think I was peeved after AJ, and it didn't grab me concept wise as AA did. Which is funny because I'm totally on board for Murdered: Soul Suspect

Wazzy

Banned
Did anyone here enjoy AJ? Imo, my favourite AA games are T&T, and AJ.

Yup. Sure, it's got flaws such as Phoenix having too large of a role and Apollo being underdeveloped but the games music is great, the first case is one of my favorites and the characters were still goofy fun.

I only play good games

*runs*

Think I was peeved after AJ, and it didn't grab me concept wise as AA did. Which is funny because I'm totally on board for Murdered: Soul Suspect

So you've written it off without even trying it?

The iOS version gives you the first two chapters of the game completely free of cost. No excuse.

L~A

A few things:

Exactly. Takumi didn't want to work on AA (in AA4, he was only mentionned as "Series Creator" in the credits or something), and I'm glad that the series is now in the hands of very competent people. They may not have the "Takumi magic" in them, but Eshiro and the scenario-director-whose-name-I-forgot have apparently done a great job with AA5. I have total confidence in them. Besides, I'd rather have Takumi work on Ghost Tricks 2/another adventure game than AA.

Personnally, I didn't read Takumi comments as negative, quite the opposite : he wished they hadn't brought back Phoenix, but still believe the current team is doing a great job with the series.

And seriously, if you haven't played Ghost Tricks yet, you're just an evil person :p

So you've written it off without even trying it?

The iOS version gives you the first two chapters of the game completely free of cost. No excuse.

...Or I just have a huge backlog of games which it is currently in, instead of occupying a special place for Ace Attorney games of 'DAY ONE DAMMIT'?

And I have an excuse; I don't have an iOS device

I DID IT :p

Either way, if he wants to be all grumpy and shit about them bringing back Apollo Justice spoilers
Phoenix, when this is literally following the exact fucking character arc he set up
then you know what, beat it. Do Ghost Trick 2, let Eshiro and co do AA5, and nobody does AAI3 :p

Was just about to say this. I had to hold back my laughter at the implication that Apollo had any satisfying level of focus in AJ. He was basically Phoenix's finger-puppet throughout the whole game.

Huh. I thought
it was obvious Phoenix would be back for the fifth game since the fourth one ends with him taking his bar exam again

Not quite what happens:
Phoenix merely mentions that he might retake the bar exam, and even then he says it with a laugh, so it could have gone either way.

If you want to call it quits on a franchise, don't start a new trilogy? Or at the very least don't drop sequel hooks in that damn game?

I believe the reason why he wanted to stop after the fourth title was because of corporate interference which altered his original vision of the game.

Also, don't knock on Ghost Trick. Just sayin'.

LegatoB

Ghost Trick was extremely disappointing. It consistently squandered the potential of its mechanics to create interesting puzzles, especially in the last third of the game. Few games actually reduce the complexity of their puzzles as you get closer to the climax! Worse yet, it falls back on some of the most tedious and unsatisfying hack writing tropes around. It's worth playing, but all this "it's a brilliant game!" and "Shu Takami is genius!" stuff baffles me. And I'm speaking as a huge fan of the Ace Attorney games.

(Well, okay, except Apollo Justice. That was a big, identity-less mess.)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
deciding to ditch Apollo in favour of Phoenix was the best idea ever. You're wrong Takumi. Apollo needs to die under a stampede

CorvoSol

Did anyone here enjoy AJ? Imo, my favourite AA games are T&T, and AJ.

I did, not as much as T&T, but I think the last case of AJ was solid enough to make up for the fact that the Concert case is easily the worst case in the series.

PK Gaming

Huh. I thought

No,
Phoenix makes an off-hand comment about taking the bar exam again. The actual ending is about Apollo commenting on the fact that he has room to grow blah blah blah.

Not that I have a problem with the decision to bring Phoenix back, AJ left a bad taste in my mouth.

Phoenix Wright is the face of the series and fans love him. Why is it hard to see they went back to Wright. Hell can Shu really say with a straight face that he wasn't the main character still in AA4?

Top Bottom