• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shu Takumi interview on his career at Capcom, Ace Attorney, and Dai Gyakuten Saiban

GSR

As part of the promotion for Dai Gyakuten Saiban, a long interview with series director Shuu Takumi was posted on the DGS site. Ash over on Court-Records was kind enough to translate. Takumi talks about his work at Capcom, from the early days up through DGS, and there's some interesting tidbits in there. A few excerpts:

Q: I heard you were also involved with development on Biohazard 2?
A: I was involved with the prototype of Biohazard 2 (Resident Evil 2, which never was never released. It’s known inside Capcom as Biohazard 1.5. At the time, we were working on the plans of Dino Crisis, but because the development of Biohazard 2 was in trouble, our team was temporarily disbanded, and I joined the other team for three months. They just needed more people. I am not sure how much I helped though. After that, they stopped development on Biohazard 2 for a while anyway. They remade it right from the start and it became a big hit. Unfortunately, the part we worked on wasn’t preserved. Doesn’t really matter though (laugh).

Q: The first Ace Attorney was a small project of just 7 people. I heard it was a hectic job, with people dropping out during development and such.
A: Yes. It was a team comprising of new people with little experience on the job, and even though there were just the seven of us, we made a lot of trouble (laugh). But we were just making this game somewhere hidden away in the corner of the company, so there was no pressure at all, and we could work rather relaxed. We were all young and we poured our all into it (without thinking about what our limits would be), but now I think about it, I’m amazed just two people managed to create all the graphical assets and two programmers did the whole thing. And I on my turn was the planner, scenario writer and the director in one. I could not have imagined that this game would be going on even now.

Bonus: Ash also translated part of a different interview with Takumi... talking about Columbo.

Drago

Q: Ace Attorney was first released on the Game Boy Advance, but how was it working on new hardware?
A: Actually, it was initially scheduled for the Game Boy Color, but around that time we started hearing rumors of this new piece of hardware coming, the Game Boy Advance, and they showed it to us. It was still before the actual release, so we didn’t get the actual unit, but just the boards, but the screen looked amazing and the whole team was impressed by it. Development on Rockman/Megaman.EXE was already ongoing, and they showed us some footage and it made an impact on us. I thought that this was perfect for a title like Ace Attorney.

This is crazy. I'd love to have seen what Ace Attorney looked like on the Game Boy Color!

Thanks for sharing.

FluxWaveZ

In terms of profit and fan reactions, I think it became really big with Ace Attorney 4, but with the changes in development, the project also became bigger than I could really graps, and it also made me confused.
That's interesting to me; it makes sense given how AA4 was the best selling game in the series in Japan.

Q: So Sherlock Holmes was there from the start?
I had considered other ideas. For example, I also looked at civil trials as a hook. But I realized the game would be about rather ugly topics, like "Mediation between family members fighting over an inheritance" or "Settling Things Out of Court In A Case of Being Falsely Accused of Molesting", cases with no clear-cut conclusions (laugh).
Ha, dunno how I feel about an Ace Attorney game going that route.

Q: And how about Ace Attorney’s new heroine, Mikotoba Susato?
A: The heroines of Ace Attorney are always right by the protagonist’s side, so it’s important that they have elements of being “an ally”, “an ideal partner” and “a fun character to be with”. That has been the same since Mayoi in the first game. Susato came from the same concept. And from the Meiji period, I added the keyword Yamato Nadeshiko. She’s a legal assistant, but as an independent working lady, she’s a very progressive character. You see how dignified she holds herself. This time I made her a simple partner on purpose, so no spirit channeling or magic tricks.
They'll need to change this for the one Ace Attorney game where the new partner turns out to be the mastermind.

FluxWaveZ

So I was terribly sorry, but Dai Gyakuten Saiban’s Holmes was destined to never say anything correct.

I wasn't actually aware of this. Heh, that's interesting.

Q: Ace Attorney is also well received outside Japan and that’s one of the reasons it appeared in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3, but what do you think about the enormous fan reaction abroad?
A: To be honest, there are few occasions for me to directly see the fan reaction while I’m in Japan. Some years ago, I had the opportunity to go to Comic Con and do promotion abroad for Ghost Trick, and I was able to talk to students abroad and the press, and I was happy so any of them said it was fun directly to me. Oh yeah, interviewers abroad ask rather detailed, almost maniacal questions, the kinds you’d hardly hear here in Japan, and answering those questions was a stimulating and fun experience. I oversaw the script lines of Naruhodo in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3, and I was shown a video of when he was announced abroad. Seeing everyone there yell out in joy, gave me a warm feeling.

I like it.

But I don't like how we still don't have a localization announcement, if there'll even be one.

GSR

But I don't like how we still don't have a localization announcement, if there'll even be one.

The game's been out for less than a month, so hopefully they're just waiting on an announce.

...But I am starting to get this terrible sinking feeling that, if AA6 gets revealed at TGS and the series starts alternating main series and DGS, we're going to wind up getting the main series games only.

Nyoro SF

I wasn't actually aware of this. Heh, that's interesting.

I like it.

The bolded made me laugh.
It's true. Western interviewers go right to the nails when asking questions.
The smaller and more niche the series, the tougher the questions.

Man, what's Ookura talking about. Columbo's wife is confirmed tons of times, like in "Troubled Waters" or "Rest in Peace, Mrs Colombo"

I think it was supposed to be ambiguous at least at certain points whether Columbo actually had a wife. It seemed pretty deliberate that they showed so little of his personal life, so that when he brings up aspects of it you would wonder whether he was being honest or making stuff up to draw more information out of the suspect.

I think it was a mistake to confirm any of it, but there's the realities of TV and multiple writers, producers, etc. over many years not working towards the same goals.

They'll need to change this for the one Ace Attorney game where the new partner turns out to be the mastermind.

This is an idea I never really thought of and it's blowing my mind. Now I'm disappointed going forward that this will be on the back of my mind and won't come true.

The first Ace Attorney was done with 7 people!? And it turned out that goddamn incredible!?

My brain can't handle this. Reading now, thanks!

Jawmuncher

Everything related to Dino Crisis here

Q: I heard you were also involved with development on Biohazard 2?
A: I was involved with the prototype of Biohazard 2 (Resident Evil 2, which never was never released. It’s known inside Capcom as Biohazard 1.5. At the time, we were working on the plans of Dino Crisis, but because the development of Biohazard 2 was in trouble, our team was temporarily disbanded, and I joined the other team for three months. They just needed more people. I am not sure how much I helped though. After that, they stopped development on Biohazard 2 for a while anyway. They remade it right from the start and it became a big hit. Unfortunately, the part we worked on wasn’t preserved. Doesn’t really matter though (laugh).

Q: And after that, you were put in charge of the Dino Crisis series.
A: Right. They made me director of Dino Crisis (1), but now I look back, I don’t think I even knew what it meant to be a “director”. Because of that, I put the team in confusion, and was fired as the director…… (laugh). They made me a planner and I was responsible for the stages in the first half. I felt frustrated at that, of course. But looking back at it now, I think it was something necessary. They then decided to make Dino Crisis 2 and for some reason, they made me director again. I have no idea whether the producer was extremely kind, or just forgetful (laugh). Anyway, I reflected deeply on what myself during the development of 1, and changed my way of working and thinking. I was also helped by the fact it was a sequel and somehow completed the task. Even now I still quite like 2 as a game, and I won’t ever forget the second chance they gave me. Also, the script was handled by Flagship, a Capcom subsidiary, but I learned a lot about scenario creation, like 'simply' ordering a scenario, and that really came in handy when I made the scenario for Ace Attorney later.

Q: I see. All these experiences came together when you create Ace Attorney. So after Dino Crisis 2, you finally came up with your plans for Ace Attorney.
A: “We’ll give you half a year to go make whatever you want,” I was told. Like I explained, when I first started on Dino Crisis, I knew absolutely nothing about dinosaurs--I couldn’t even see the difference between a tyrannosaurus and a velociraptor—but I guess this was a little bonus for me having done my best on the Dino Crisis series for three years. At the time, there were several of these projects, meant as training grounds for the young staff, to create new games with small teams and budgets. One of them was Ace Attorney. We didn’t make it in six months and finally finished it in ten. But even so, I think that’s a great record.

The middle quote is especially cool, that's the most info I have seen from him in a long time about working on the series.

Also makes this more interesting
"The country's name appears to have been reused from the Borginian Republic, a fictional country mentioned in Dino Crisis, another Capcom game. Shu Takumi, the main developer of the core Ace Attorney games, was also a main planner and event director for Dino Crisis, making the similarity perhaps not coincidental."
New Head Canon, Dino crisis and Ace Attorney are in the same universe.

randomwab

That Dino Crisis anecdote is very nice. Seems like Mikami gave the same treatment to Takumi with Dino Crisis 2 as he did with Kamiya after messing up with 1.5; learn from your mistakes and try again. The man had a really great eye for talent and was fantastic with fostering it back then. Say what you will about his direction, but his mentorship to younger staff in the Capcom days seemed wonderful.

DeSolos

For reference here is the staff list of Gyakuten Saiban for the GBA.

Gyakuten Saiban

Concept-Script-Direction:
Shu Takumi

Graphics:
Kumiko Suekane
Tatsuro Iwamoto

Main Programming:
Noriyuki Ootani

Programming:
Masayoshi Endou

Music:
Masakazu Sugimori

Sound Effects:
Atsushi Mori

Publicity:
Hiroshi Nakatani
Ayumi Terada

Manual:
Yumiko Uchida

Producer:
Atsushi Inaba

Executive Supervisor:
Shinji Mikami

I had no idea Takumi was involved with Dino Crisis until I read the interview. Pretty cool.

Now I feel like I should finally get them off PSN. I've been putting it off for what feels like forever, but this feels like a slight form of motivation.

Not even God Hand would be able to redeem Mikami if he did that.

In the alternate reality where phoenix wright never happened, we're all saying "yep, that sounds damn stupid".

Lets all be honest: everything about AA sounds moronic on paper.

Look at the first game: You play as a borderline kleptomaniac lawyer who can't stop showing his badge to everyone, and (profusely) sweats his way through a courtroom basically on luck and by shouting at people over the hours+ long trials where the only interaction you have is occasionally presenting a piece of evidence.

It hardly sounds like a winning formula.

In his defense, in what sane world does a game boy advance game about being a lawyer have any chance of success in that point of time.

Yeah, the thing that disillusions me most is that there's zero possibility that a big developer would take a chance on a game like this today, and indie developers really aren't picking up the slack.

Anyway, went back and dug up the quote I referred to earlier:
Iwata: How did people react to that initial plan?

Takumi: Not very well! (laughs) When people heard words like “lawyer” and “courtroom”, they imagined something to do with legal matters, something heavy-going and difficult. I wrote my design documents during my summer holiday, and Mikami-san actually phoned my house to tell me to give up on the whole idea!

All: (laugh)

Takumi: I couldn’t believe it! I thought I was going to be praised for working during the summer holidays! (laughs) I think I channelled the shock of that phone call into writing the design documents. I needed to emphasise that having a legal theme didn’t necessarily mean the game would be stiff and formal, so instead I focused on the strong personalities of the characters and on the concept of finding inconsistencies in testimonies and discrediting pieces of evidence.

Hino: Ah, it seems the backlash against Mikami-san’s phone call inspired the Ace Attorney game system!

Iwata: It certainly seems that way. I feel that phone call really helped to tighten Ace Attorney’s focus. You reacted positively to the criticisms and opposition of those around you because you wanted to make the game something they could enjoy. I think it could be said that Ace Attorney is the result of that desire.

Yeah, the thing that disillusions me most is that there's zero possibility that a big developer would take a chance on a game like this today, and indie developers really aren't picking up the slack.

That's what really drove me into liking the series though. When the DS was first came out I wanted to play Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright. They just sounded so different than anything I have seen before and wanted to try something completely different. If they came out now for the first time, I feel that it wouldn't have made a big of a splash as they did then because there are a lot more experimental games and cheaper budget indie games, but at the time of the DS launch they where truly unique.

Top Bottom