• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: “Indies will take the risks” on PlayStation VR 2

lukilladog

How can you say something like that without playing? What's wrong with you?

You must not be familiar with the concept of first hand witness testimony.

Stop get help is not worth be this jealous because a goddam videogame

That´s ridiculous, if you knew my stance on VR you would not have said that.

Last edited:

Resenge

That´s ridiculous, if you knew my stance on VR you would not have said that.
Oh don't worry we all know your stance on VR.

EqSCeMXXcAE8xBT

Last edited:
When even Sony does not have a killer game to launch with their headset you know things are going south for VR gaming, even pc vr enthusiasm is now surviving on mods, Beardo Benjo (hardcore youtuber) just admitted it.
You don’t think Horizon looks killer? That game blows my mind the more I see of it.

lukilladog

You don’t think Horizon looks killer? That game blows my mind the more I see of it.

Looks good, until you realize what type of game this is. The problem is that they tried to make the combat and exploration way too much "VR friendly", and took away the soul of VR (the sensation of being there and do whatever you want the way you want)... it´s like sony suits don´t get the point of VR or don´t care.

Looks good, until you realize what type of game this is. The problem is that they tried to make the combat and exploration way too much "VR friendly", and took away the soul of VR (the sensation of being there and do whatever you want the way you want)... it´s like sony suits don´t get the point of VR or don´t care.
You’ve totally lost me there. That’s the game that’ll drive me to get the VR headset. Didn’t get a PSVR, but Horizon has turned my head. It looks immersive and full on.

tmlDan

not everyone is hardcore about everything, they need games that cater to casual audiences.

What they should do is bundle it with the headset for free, and introduction to VR.

CamHostage

Making low budget games for a new platform is not showing much confidence in it.
If Layden said that sometimes you have to lose money on games in order to push a platform.

Sort of, but then again, courting indies was how PS Vita support continued to please fans even after the 1st Party and a lot of the 3rd Party dropped portable-AAA-scale games from the system. (It's also how PSVR continued to last after Sony stopped making games for it. Both PSVR1 and PS Vita lasted the same 3-4 years of internal games then coasted on fan enthusiasm and smaller but enjoyable games. PS Vita, they also supplemented some developers to bring their games over once Sony's own studios had to move on.) Plus this gen they can do dual-play versions of existing games between TV and VR much easier, so PSVR2 will probably get more AAA games than PSVR1 by default (depending on how much people count these mainstream games quickly rigged with VR options.) Also they have Firesprite, they might have some people at Insomniac (they still have a few killer VR games from their independent time, but unfortunately we've heard little about Insomniac VR conversions/projects,) they may have other games yet to be announced that are being made by contracted studios if not internal developers.

I agree, though, it's not showing a lot of Sony confidence where Shuhei gets 1 game deep into describing the new PSVR2's lineup before he starts mentioning 3rd Party and Indies. (Though, as with everything, delays in development due to COVID have pushed back everything, plus they haven't even officially announced a release plan for PSVR2 despite showing it multiple times, so maybe they have more planned for launch and the early days than we know?) Official Sony support of PSVR1 was hot at first then ran cold pretty quickly, I'd be more confident in it if/when they show a more solid roadmap for releasing games on the system.

Crayon

Horizon looks killer. Did you want to play full on horizon combat in vr? That would probaaly be a bit much. I'd rather have teh slowed down and constrained version like in call of the mountain. At least, I think. You can decide for everyone that it sucks based on your imagination but don't be surprised when people laugh.

Isn’t one of the main points of VR is to try to innovate and create unique experiences? We’ll see what games are coming for VR2, but this gives me even less confidence about VR if it seems like indies will most likely be the only developers taking risks.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
why DualSense is a gimmick, and why VR is a gimmick and dead, and why PS VR 2 is going to be a failure, why Astrobot was "just a tech demo" etc. etc.
man, these few especially piss me the fuck off. I don't get how you can so readily just dismiss controller innovation at the drop of a hat because it's not on your console, same for the people who have the audacity to call gyro a 'gimmick' even though it's the closest thing to M&K aiming a controller could get.

I HEAVILY prioritize immersion when it comes to video games, if these developers are gonna be out here crafting worlds on the scale of GTA, Horizon, Far Cry, BOTW, etc i want to feel as connected to them as possible, and VR is pretty much the closest thing we have to endgame in terms of that. To call it a fucking gimmick or some shit is just... wtf

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
man, these few especially piss me the fuck off. I don't get how you can so readily just dismiss controller innovation at the drop of a hat because it's not on your console, same for the people who have the audacity to call gyro a 'gimmick' even though it's the closest thing to M&K aiming a controller could get.

I HEAVILY prioritize immersion when it comes to video games, if these developers are gonna be out here crafting worlds on the scale of GTA, Horizon, Far Cry, BOTW, etc i want to feel as connected to them as possible, and VR is pretty much the closest thing we have to endgame in terms of that. To call it a fucking gimmick or some shit is just... wtf
When I had the ps5, I really like the gentle rumble in astro's, but I found the tension triggers really uncomfortable/they made my hands ache and my wrist hurt (especially noticeable when swinging on Spiderman:miles) thankfully they could be turned off though, but the pad in general would make my hands ache with any extended play time sadly. :(

I also think psvr is going to be a hard sell, especially as pretty much everyone I know in real life personally that brought into psvr on PS4 were left pretty disappointed with the game library, re7 great experience, but you never really got anything that matched it afterwards sadly.

RE:Village looks like it will be another great vr experience though on the plus side & I think re4 remake has it too right? (I could be wrong)
So atleast that is two decent experiences we know about for psvr2.

But I also think I'd rather just play my game on a nice big screen, a controller in my hands, relaxing with my feet up, and you can't really do that with vr.

So I can understand why people would think off vr as a gimmick. (Like with 3D TVs/Kinect etc)

Also Astros playroom was incredible, easily my fave ps5 experience, I really hope Asobo make a full fledged game in the future, or even take on ape escape that would be a dream, with the monkeys having loads of cool references to past psone/2 games like Astros playroom!

Obviously the above wall of text is my just my opinion though, and others hear may vehemently disagree & think I have awful taste to want ape escape to return XD

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
What people don't realize is that motion is AMPLIFIED in VR. Small movements are amplified about 100x in VR because it is coming from your perspective. The flat screen Horizon game will not work in VR, you will literally throw up if you move like Aloy does in flat screen horizon.

Think about how you have to constantly move in order to take down a machine now imagine you are moving like that in VR.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Yep, true. As I always say, innovation in the gaming industry must always be supported and celebrated, regardless of your preferred platform.
  • Nintendo Switch hybrid console? 👏
  • Xbox's adaptive controller? :messenger_clapping:
  • PlayStation's DualSense innovation and VR plans? :messenger_clapping:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
When I had the ps5, I really like the gentle rumble in astro's, but I found the tension triggers really uncomfortable/they made my hands ache and my wrist hurt (especially noticeable when swinging on Spiderman:miles) thankfully they could be turned off though, but the pad in general would make my hands ache with any extended play time sadly. :(
Tip: Decrease their intensity in PS5 system settings, instead of completely turning them off. If you have sensitive wrists/finger joints, they won't hurt as much, but you'll still be able to enjoy all the goodness.

Resenge

A game designed for free movement combat would have been cool.
Great news, Resident Evil Village has that and should be a launch title and if Firewall Ultra is as good as the PSVR you have some great free movement combat games to play in those two titles alone. Maybe I will see you there?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Indies aren't going to make vr big, Sony you need to make big blockbuster games to make this a huge success....but how do you balance your studios across vr and main games. Its a tough one.

Asking someone to spend north of 400 on a vr headset with just indie games isn't going to do it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Indies aren't going to make vr big, Sony you need to make big blockbuster games to make this a huge success....but how do you balance your studios across vr and main games. Its a tough one.

Asking someone to spend north of 400 on a vr headset with just indie games isn't going to do it.
  • Horizon VR
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Hitman
  • No Man's Sky
  • Iron Man
  • Firewall
  • Star Wars
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake
And they haven't yet announced the first-party PS VR2 titles. I'm sure there will be plenty of big and small titles.

And Shu wasn't saying that they will only rely on indie titles. He said that there will be big AAA games, but he is more excited about what indies will do. Him being the Head of PlayStation's Indie division, this statement is not surprising.

Fredrik

LOL. You're the same guy bashing VR for the last 3 years because you admitted you have extreme motion sickness.
Anecdotal evidence, I have big issues with motion sickness in regular first person games (worse on console than PC) but for some reason I have extremely little issues with VR. So anyone opting out of VR or bashing it because of motion sickness without even trying (I did this too), do yourself a favor and give it a try first.

Motion sickness is such a pain in the ass anyway, I experienced it in Deathloop just recently, it can completely ruin a game, I hear some take some medicine to cope but I just drop the game whenever it happens.

Resenge

Anecdotal evidence, I have big issues with motion sickness in regular first person games (worse on console than PC) but for some reason I have extremely little issues with VR. So anyone opting out of VR or bashing it because of motion sickness without even trying (I did this too), do yourself a favor and give it a try first.

Motion sickness is such a pain in the ass anyway, I experienced it in Deathloop just recently, it can completely ruin a game, I hear some take some medicine to cope but I just drop the game whenever it happens.
My wife got motion sick playing The last of us 2 recently, she struggles with flat screen games sometimes. She seems to get sick when shes stuck in a game and is running around looking for the answer. My son gets motion sick constantly in my car but is rock solid in VR.

Last edited:

Fredrik

She seems to get sick when shes stuck in a game and is running around looking for the answer.
Yeah that’s a killer for me as well!
Higher framerates in PC gaming definitely helps for me though, I have much more issues on console where the fps can go lower. And VR is always higher fps.

Last edited:

Louay

it's not like AAA project being developed to VR......
Anyway the future of VR market will be interesting if Apple released Their All in one M Chip Silicon VR/AR Headset

Wonko_C

What people don't realize is that motion is AMPLIFIED in VR. Small movements are amplified about 100x in VR because it is coming from your perspective. The flat screen Horizon game will not work in VR, you will literally throw up if you move like Aloy does in flat screen horizon.

Think about how you have to constantly move in order to take down a machine now imagine you are moving like that in VR.
There is a mod to play Horizon Zero Dawn in VR and I can play it just fine.

That being said though, I'm not against Call of the Mountain's approach. It's just different gameplay and that could be fun in its own right.

Tripolygon

Banned
There is a mod to play Horizon Zero Dawn in VR and I can play it just fine.

That being said though, I'm not against Call of the Mountain's approach. It's just different gameplay and that could be fun in its own right.
For people with strong VR legs. All those mods are awesome though, but you can see a clear stack difference with actual games designed for VR.

Top Bottom