• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: "We believe in the premium release of a title" before subscriptions

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah I knew his theory was complete speculation because we’ve had numerous articles explaining that the deals are different. Plus it just makes sense. The budget for Furi or You Suck at Parking would be way different than the budget for MLB 23 or Outriders or Sniper Elite.

He has a tendency to extrapolate like that when it suits him. Hell also state factually that devs don’t think big games can launch on GamePass and will point to one dev saying it about Callisto and ignore all the other big games in the service.
lol yeah I "extrapolated" and you didn't downplay actual quotes and data from devs?

The budget for big games don't matter because we're talking in percentages, not absolute figures. 25% of budget, whether it's $1M or $25M, still leaves devs with 75% of the budget that they need to recover from elsewhere.

Nothing speculative about my comments. And it's no theory. It's actual data from devs and studios. Only your comments here are speculative as you have presented literally 0 data in all this conversation.

How's it for free when you have to pay 1 of 3 tiers on plus. Why allow wanker company's to get away with exploiting its users.

Having said that It's up to the gamers, If they wanna be milked let them get milked.
I feel so exploited having to pay to play games I want to play. Please Sony, stop releasing games I want to play, it's too much!

Last edited:
I feel so exploited having to pay to play games I want to play. Please Sony, stop releasing game I want to play, it's too much!

STOP PLAYING THOSE GAMES!!!!!

liar liar i'm kicking my ass GIF by Jerology

STOP PLAYING THOSE GAMES!!!!!

liar liar i'm kicking my ass GIF by Jerology'm kicking my ass GIF by Jerology
I have to go back all the way to Alan Wake to find a MS game that I would've bought if it wasn't on game pass, yet I'm supposed to be mad at Sony because they were able to convince me that God of War Ragnarok is worth $70 even though I know I could wait a few years and play it for free.

Last edited:
I have to go back all the way to Alan Wake to find a MS game that I would've bought if it wasn't on game pass, yet I'm supposed to be mad at Sony because they were able to convince me that God of War Ragnarok is worth $70 even though I know I could wait a few years and play it for free.
Hell GIF by Steve Harvey TV

I don't care how you do it but you need to play your games for free.

P.S Just kidding I don't support piracy.

lol yeah I "extrapolated" and you didn't downplay actual quotes and data from devs?

The budget for big games don't matter because we're talking in percentages, not absolute figures. 25% of budget, whether it's $1M or $25M, still leaves devs with 75% of the budget that they need to recover from elsewhere.

Nothing speculative about my comments. And it's no theory. It's actual data from devs and studios. Only your comments here are speculative as you have presented literally 0 data in all this conversation.

Your comment is nothing but speculation based off one developers comment. I have the actual head of Xbox proving you wrong. Just take the L and move on, you were wrong.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Your comment is nothing but speculation based off one developers comment. I have the actual head of Xbox proving you wrong. Just take the L and move on, you were wrong.
Multiple comments from multiple developers, and an actual dev sharing the exact % of the money they received. Spare me the marketing/exec talk. How many data points have you shared that prove that a particular studio received 80% or 100% of the development cost because of a Gamepass or PS+ deal?

Literally 0. lol.

Multiple comments from multiple developers, and an actual dev sharing the exact % of the money they received. Spare me the marketing/exec talk. How many data points have you shared that prove that a particular studio received 80% or 100% of the development cost because of a Gamepass or PS+ deal?

Literally 0. lol.

Ah so you’re one of those warriors who can’t take an L.

Literally Phil fucking Spencer proving your theory wrong and you’re still clinging.

Also why would I post something showing devs get 100% of budget paid? I never claimed as such. I just asked why your speculation wasn’t speculation. You proved it’s just speculation. Enjoy the last word on this, not going to waste any more time with you 😆

Literally Phil fucking Spencer proving your theory wrong and you’re still clinging.

Also why would I post something showing devs get 100% of budget paid? I never claimed as such. I just asked why your speculation wasn’t speculation. You proved it’s just speculation. Enjoy the last word on this, not going to waste any more time with you 😆
What did Phil Spencer proved so far?

graywolf323

Gold Member
eh? you did though, at least you cited Phil Spencer saying as much

https://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-chief-reveals-more-about-how-developers-earn-money-through-game-pass/

Here is Papa Phil himself confirming there are lots of different deal structures. In some cases they pay 100% of the costs to make the game. In other cases they pay a lump sum upfront. In others it’s based on usage. Which is all I and the other posters were trying to tell you, your theory on GamePass payment is speculation (and wrong).

honestly I don't really understand what you two are arguing about since both of what you're saying is supported by Phil Spencer's own words there, how much of development cost the GP deals cover vary and we don't really know what the average deal is since most developers haven't commented on what they received

Raonak

Banned
I'm 99% sony's model makes more money than microsoft's.

Full price at launch on PS5, the full price on PC a year later, then free on PS+ a year later.

I never see PlayStation fans begging for Sony to follow the game pass model, it's always other people asking for it. Most of us are pretty satisfied with the current model and we want more of it as it's obvious by the sales. If anything what I never liked is them later giving away games I paid good money for.
I don't really see a bunch of Xbox fans asking for the PlayStation model either. Thankfully there is plenty of space in the industry for each platform holder to do their own thing. It's nice to have options.

I never see PlayStation fans begging for Sony to follow the game pass model, it's always other people asking for it. Most of us are pretty satisfied with the current model and we want more of it as it's obvious by the sales. If anything what I never liked is them later giving away games I paid good money for.

Ha, I for one would love for a gamepass like service from PS. In fact I was hoping PlayStation Plus Premium would be that service.

I still have hope.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

"Phil said it."
"I don't have any data."

But I'm the one speculating. lmao.

eh? you did though, at least you cited Phil Spencer saying as much

honestly I don't really understand what you two are arguing about since both of what you're saying is supported by Phil Spencer's own words there, how much of development cost the GP deals cover vary and we don't really know what the average deal is since most developers haven't commented on what they received

I cited Phil saying the deals vary wildly from game to game, which was my argument. He was arguing “it’s facts” that all deals cover 20-25% of the dev costs, which was obviously way off from reality according to Phil Spencer. But what does he know 😆

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

You know threre are still millions of people going out and buying xbox games when gamepass exists. Just because you're in the group of people who will pay 70 bones for a playstation game doesn't mean everyone is still buying them.

I used to buy tons of playstation games day one, I haven't bought one outside of demons souls and that was thanks to it being available on launch day and I was In the hype...of course i needed one launch title to test the bad boy out.

I've not bought one game day one and i won't be buying ragnorok unless I can find an insane deal.

To be honest that game is going to come in so hot, Mark my words. 2018 had 7 patches in 7 days and was deleting people's save progress etc. I remember as I was day one, every day I went to play it there was a new patch. It felt like it went on for a while.

Sony have proven this gen you are better to wait. You will get a better performing game, more features and much cheaper.

Let's see how gow launches after the pandemic. If I hear its polished I'll pick it up st a cheaper price or used.

All I'm trying to say is we will see how sales compare to previous titles because we don't know if the wider audience of a console is completely accepting sonys pricing on games but theyve stopped sharing data and from what we hear in xbox threads, it means one thing. Game sales aren't where sony wants them to be and they are underperforming.

Last edited:
I never see PlayStation fans begging for Sony to follow the game pass model, it's always other people asking for it. Most of us are pretty satisfied with the current model and we want more of it as it's obvious by the sales.

The last thing Sony needs are for their most hardcore consumers in echo chambers (who think paying more money = good) to start begging for a gamepass equivalent..because Sony has smart people who see the big picture already and know that they cannot compete with that model (which is why they're doing everything they can to stop the ABK deal and other 3rd party games going to gamepass day and date).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lets get rid of plus then with your logic yeh? No point in these subscriptions right?
No point.
I am not subbing too plus.
I just want to but my games on disc.
Relying on free sub crap games is bad and stuff like gp is clearly devaluing industry and makes users used to free or cheap games. Which will have an effect on dev.

But as I’ve said. I just want to buy physical games I want

I say let the market speak. If things really do go the way of subscriptions and cloud gaming, than sony and Nintendo will pivot that way too. They will follow the money. I think for the near future, things will stay as they are but who knows how things change over a longer period. Sony know this and are pretty much ready to pivot if they need to. That's why they revamped ps plus.

Last edited:

Helghan

Pretty sure they'll eventually do this. If the Xbox Game Studios train actually starts running properly, and they have some heavy hitters on it, you can't compete unless you do the same.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
In the end Sony staying in business is beneficial to consumers. Games do cost a lot of money to make and its understandable if they want extra revenue. In the end that extra revenue can lead to even more games if used correctly.
Exactly. And more importantly, not just more games, but also bigger and better games. I want more God of Wars, TLOU 2s, GOTs, HFWs, etc.

TheGecko

Banned
No point.
I am not subbing too plus.
I just want to but my games on disc.
Relying on free sub crap games is bad and stuff like gp is clearly devaluing industry and makes users used to free or cheap games. Which will have an effect on dev.

But as I’ve said. I just want to buy physical games I want
I agree and I've said subscription based services degrade quality, we are seeing it with Netflix with filler trash.

But some people complain about one service giving you their tripple aaa with their services yet defend a milking service. They are just hypercrits.

Topher

Gold Member
I agree and I've said subscription based services degrade quality, we are seeing it with Netflix with filler trash.

But some people complain about one service giving you their tripple aaa with their services yet defend a milking service. They are just hypercrits.

There is nothing hypocritical about someone wanting to buy their games outright rather than paying a monthly fee. If they don't like the price then they will wait for a sale or buy it used. This has been the way people have bought games for decades.

Last edited:
There is nothing hypocritical about someone wanting to buy their games outright rather than paying a monthly fee. If they don't like the price then they will wait for a sale or buy it used. This has been the way people have bought games for decades.

I seriously wonder why some people think it's wrong for us to buy games. I don't have an issue with a sub but I like buying my games more.

The cultists believe anything he says, even though he will flip flop from a position on a weekly basis.

Interesting about Phil Spencer 'facts' he never actually provides any receipts. He just says a bunch of stuff.

The implication being that he is lying about what type of deals they offer for GamePass games? 😆🤡

I worry about some of you and your obsession with Spencer sometimes.

Top Bottom