• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sifu - Official Review Thread

Phase

lmao HARD GAME BAD

Checkpoint Gaming - 60
Sifu is a game that could have been something amazing, with its fascinating premise and superbly crafted and fluid combat mechanics and animations. However, the game’s frustrating need to make the gameplay ridiculously hard just left me tired and annoyed. Sloclap really needs to think about how they can make this game more accessible, possibly by including more shortcuts, an adjustable difficulty setting, or just lowering the impact of health lost from fighting your average foe. Hopefully they will bring in some patches that will address these issues, but as it stands, I’d wait before investing time in the world of Sifu.
See this type of review irks me. Is the game unfair with what it asks you to do? Doesn't seem that way. It just requires a higher level of execution for success, and the reviewer blames the game, not himself.

saintjules

I went on PSN, downloaded a PS+ game and went back to my library collection and Sifu was able to download. Workaround for now in case those couldn't get it to download.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Purchased on Epic Games. Played for an hour. Honestly, Absolver is a better game, IMO. It's difficult, which usually I like, but it's not like Dark Souls difficult. It feels largely unfair. Like I'm getting hit when im clearly countering an attack on the harder enemies. It's like they have stagger immunity while they are in their attacks sometimes. I would be fine with this if it was consistent. Sometimes, my attack hits and caused a stagger, but in the same situation sometimes it doesn't. I made it through the first 2 levels before i hit max age and died. It's a decent game, but I wouldn't pay 50 dollars for it (Game plus taxes here in the US, including 10% coupon on EGS). I may pick it back up when it's less expensive.

Phase

The good one.
Soccer Goal GIF

TexMex

For everyone struggling to download on PlayStation:

Go to PS+, and just start downloading any random free game. Then, go back to the Sifu page. It’ll let you download. Worked for me and I’m playing now.

They’re catching a lot of heat and it sucks. It’s not a game issue, it’s a PlayStation Store issue. Sony is the one having to resolve, not them.

SLB1904

Banned
See this type of review irks me. Is the game unfair with what it asks you to do? Doesn't seem that way. It just requires a higher level of execution for success, and the reviewer blames the game, not himself.
reviews arent about the consumer anymore. is about me.

Go to PS+, and just start downloading any random free game. Then, go back to the Sifu page. It’ll let you download. Worked for me and I’m playing now.

They’re catching a lot of heat and it sucks. It’s not a game issue, it’s a PlayStation Store issue. Sony is the one having to resolve, not them.
people need to chill as well. some people act is like the end of the world wtf

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I really don't get this "diverse" whining. Are Chinese developers somehow prevented from making a game about martial arts?
First they say that you need more diverse characters in gaming (which is cool to have, sure), then they are pissed because YOU (developer) aren't diverse. I guess white people should only make games about white people. Then the press will be confused why the games are so homogenous. It's like some poisoned circle. Creators can't win, can they.
As someone who is black, I find it fucking hilarious about these fucking WOKE white people who's complaining about this shit. If you got a good game on your hands, I'll check it out and I'll play it/buy. I don't care the racial makeup of the developers. You got a good title? Cool. I'm down.

First, it was Kingdom Come that came under fire because there were no black people in it. The developer stated the game is operating out of historic context, no issue from me about that. So many people complained and it led to NOTHING. The game sold very well, basically giving the whiners a "Fuck you, I don't care."

Then, it was Ghost of Tsushima. Remember the first gameplay reveal where the white guy, who was trained by a Japanese Shakuhachi master, playing the instrument? WOKE Twitter trashed PlayStation for it, claiming cultural appropriation. Having 10 million copies sold, Sucker Punch is eating good and hell, they became ambassadors to the island!

Now, I am seeing this bullshit. OMG WHITE PEOPLE DEVELOPED THIS GAME ABOUT KUNG FU! YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD!

So. Fucking. What.

I can't even with these muhfuckas. Seriously. Anyways, I bought it yesterday and I'm gonna give it a shot today. Rant over!

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I really want to try this but Absolver never clicked with me.

As someone who is black, I find it fucking hilarious about these fucking WOKE white people who's complaining about this shit. If you got a good game on your hands, I'll check it out and I'll play it/buy. I don't care the racial makeup of the developers. You got a good title? Cool. I'm down.

First, it was Kingdom Come that came under fire because there were no black people in it. The developer stated the game is operating out of historic context, no issue from me about that. So many people complained and it led to NOTHING. The game sold very well, basically giving the whiners a "Fuck you, I don't care."

Then, it was Ghost of Tsushima. Remember the first gameplay reveal where the white guy, who was trained by a Japanese Shakuhachi, playing the instrument? WOKE Twitter trashed PlayStation for it, claiming cultural appropriation. Having 10 million copies sold, Sucker Punch is eating good and hell, they became ambassadors to the island!

Now, I am seeing this bullshit. OMG WHITE PEOPLE DEVELOPED THIS GAME ABOUT KUNG FU! YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD!

So. Fucking. What.

I can't even with these muhfuckas. Seriously. Anyways, I bought it yesterday and I'm gonna give it a shot today. Rant over!

Crabs in a bucket.

Killer8

I really don't get this "diverse" whining. Are Chinese developers somehow prevented from making a game about martial arts?
First they say that you need more diverse characters in gaming (which is cool to have, sure), then they are pissed because YOU (developer) aren't diverse. I guess white people should only make games about white people. Then the press will be confused why the games are so homogenous. It's like some poisoned circle. Creators can't win, can they.

Whitey bad, simple as that.

Fredrik

Don’t bother trying to understand, those easily concerned people just want to complain, they never think things through and aren’t worth listening to.
Unfortunately many devs are scared of that noise and then we get those weird check list designs where everything is seemingly made to counter a potential concern.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

So you have to download the Deluxe edition to play now? or can I play the standard edition now too?

Superwave

Banned
Read the IGN review - told me everything I needed to know. Not for me :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I watched the IGN review they seemed to whine about having to replay and master levels. How is this a negative?

Back in my day that was called gaming!

If a game is good I certainly don't want it to be 'one and done', what is the point of that?? Most of my favourite games I replayed the levels dozens or hundreds of times. If you don't want to play a game multiple times that is a sure fire indicator that it's a piece of shit.

hollams

Gold Member
Really enjoying the game and it's a rogue like so it's not supposed to be easy. I'm pretty sure once you've mastered the game it can be beat in under an hour. The joy is not in beating the game rather it's learning the combat mechanics and creating a performance with your moves. It's like a Jackie Chan movie in game form. It's an awesome feeling when you enter a room with a ton of enemies and you are able to create this dance with your attacks and defensive moves and succeed without being hit.

Shmunter

You’re supposed to stay in your lane. Check #ownvoices

Authors writing about different cultures are now frowned upon.

You want diversity in media, you need 1:1 ratio of people behind the scenes reflecting the diversity or it’s racist.

Dr Bass

Then, it was Ghost of Tsushima. Remember the first gameplay reveal where the white guy, who was trained by a Japanese Shakuhachi master, playing the instrument? WOKE Twitter trashed PlayStation for it, claiming cultural appropriation. Having 10 million copies sold, Sucker Punch is eating good and hell, they became ambassadors to the island!

So. Fucking. What.

Yeah, as a sorta white guy (I got some Mexican roots but really don't look like it) that once had and played a Shakuhachi I just don't get this "cultural appropriation" nonsense. Like we can't do something if it doesn't align with the accident of who we were born to? It's absurd.

What they call cultural appropriation I call cultural appreciation.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Purchased on Epic Games. Played for an hour. Honestly, Absolver is a better game, IMO. It's difficult, which usually I like, but it's not like Dark Souls difficult. It feels largely unfair. Like I'm getting hit when im clearly countering an attack on the harder enemies. It's like they have stagger immunity while they are in their attacks sometimes. I would be fine with this if it was consistent. Sometimes, my attack hits and caused a stagger, but in the same situation sometimes it doesn't. I made it through the first 2 levels before i hit max age and died. It's a decent game, but I wouldn't pay 50 dollars for it (Game plus taxes here in the US, including 10% coupon on EGS). I may pick it back up when it's less expensive.
What is the max age? I'm 38 now and I'm at some burning dojo after the club level

Hobbygaming

This game does push your shit in 😂 but as with most games, timing is the key to combat and making sure you do finishes to gain health back

I'm getting better and I can see another playthrough once I beat it

This game does push your shit in 😂 but as with most games, timing is the key to combat and making sure you do finishes to gain health back

I'm getting better and I can see another playthrough once I beat it
In an odd way it reminds me of Sekiro..just like that in when you get the parry/defense down you instantly become this badass...Thats how it is with this, the more you kinda practice your defense and get it down the better you get - and the better it feels/looks.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Can anyone share info on HDR implementation? I'm seriously considering picking up the disc version in May.

Yamisan

Hello Sekiro 2.0 Was gonna wait for a sale for this but just bought and installed it on ps5 thanks to skill ups review. Time to play! Not even 8gb . nice.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I'll wait for more content and a sale. It does look awesome though. I'm addicted to Vampire Survivors. That one cost me $3 and it will keep me busy until ER.

Hobbygaming

This chick upstairs in the 2nd level is kicking me down the stairs, knocking me off the ledge and is just whooping my ass

Punch Beat Up GIF by BlocBoy JB

Hoppa

I know I’ll get frustrated and quit 10 mins in but I’ve been itching to play something new on my PS5..

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Like a 20-year-old combatant, Sifu comes out of the gate strong. Its core combat feels excellent, and the moment-to-moment action looks better than most Hollywood blockbusters. Sadly, as you progress, the action begins to show its teeth and eventually becomes a tiresome grind. Sifu deserves props for its incredible sense of style and tone, but it is also a great example of why growing old isn't always fun.

Top Bottom