• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Signing bonus or wage bump

oagboghi2

Hey random question that I thought I should ask GAF.

I got a job offer from a software company in Miami, and they are offering me a pretty decent wage, but it's barely above my current one. They seem hesitant to haggle that price, but offered a signing bonus of 5-10k. I was wondering if anyone had ever taken a signing bonus for a job before, and if looking back they regretted it or not

TheMooMan

Banned
You'd be making the same as you are now, but with $5-10k extra in the bank.

So, unless you think the new job will be worse than your current one, seems like a no brainer.

Depends on whether the job itself is better for you.

In the end it's just a trick, to give you a flat sum. Get those dollar signs in your eyes.
Pieceofcandy.jpg

Up to you to decde if you wanna be under that crate.

But always keep on the lookout for new work. That will be best for your salary over the years. Also for your experience.

nush

Gold Member
Higher salary is always better than a signing bonus.
Likely that higher salary will pay a lot more than $5-10k during the time you're there.

Only if you are there long enough. Take the bonus, you can bail if the job is shit and be quids in.

epicnemesis

Well, it’s not like you are being offered a choice. So it’s either same job or new job with some extra cash. If you think the new gig will be the same or better than why not take the cash?

Kagey K

Banned
Like people have said it's a trade off.

Usually it's rigged so that in the long run the hire bonus gets you less, but you get bigger money up front.

In the long run that higher wage will pay off.

Troglodyte

Banned
My current gig I got a $7500 bonus up front and $10k ($2500 every three months). I ONLY agreed to it as long as I wasn't tied to the place due to the bonus. Some hospitals offer bonuses but make you commit to 2 years or 3 years and if you resign before hand you have to pay either all of it back or a portion back depending on how long youve been year. This is almost like a performance bonus without actually having to perform if that makes sense.

Your situation seems pretty good as long as there isn't any strings attached.

oagboghi2

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I kinda figured long term I will be underpaid, but with the job being remote because of covid that doesn't really bother me. I don't have to move to Miami immediately, so my current wage will remain way over the average for the area I'm living in now.

My current gig I got a $7500 bonus up front and $10k ($2500 every three months). I ONLY agreed to it as long as I wasn't tied to the place due to the bonus. Some hospitals offer bonuses but make you commit to 2 years or 3 years and if you resign before hand you have to pay either all of it back or a portion back depending on how long youve been year. This is almost like a performance bonus without actually having to perform if that makes sense.

Your situation seems pretty good as long as there isn't any strings attached.

I'll be sure to look out for whether or not there is a commitment like that. It didn't occur to me at the time to ask about those

Top Bottom