• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 being adapted into a movie - Return to Silent Hill

bitbydeath

Filming is due to get underway next month in Germany and Eastern Europe on the project, which will mark a return for the original Silent Hill director Christophe Gans.
Written by Gans, Sandra Vo-Anh (who collaborated with Gans on Beauty and the Beast) and William Josef Schneider, the movie is based on Silent Hill 2, the second and most popular game in Konami’s hit video game series.
The film will follow James (Jeremy Irvine), a man broken after being separated from his one true love (Hannah Emily Anderson). When a mysterious letter calls him back to Silent Hill in search of her, he finds a once-recognizable town transformed by an unknown evil. As James descends deeper into the darkness, he encounters terrifying figures both familiar and new and begins to question his own sanity as he struggles to make sense of reality and hold on long enough to save his lost love.
Return to Silent Hill is a mythological love story about someone so deeply in love, they’re willing to go to hell to save someone,” said director Gans. “I’m delighted to have the wonderful talents of both Jeremy Irvine and Hannah Emily Anderson take us on this journey into a psychological horror world that I hope will both satisfy and surprise fans of Silent Hill.”
“Christophe and I have been working closely with our partners at Konami, as they update the video game, to also create a version of Silent Hill for the theatrical audiences of today,” explained producer Hadida. “You will still find the iconic monsters – but there will also be new designs. We are confident that this new film and Konami’s updated game together will propel the franchise forward for years to come.”

ParaSeoul

rv2M7xm.jpg

RagnarokIV

Not too amazed by the casting of James. It should have been Robert Patrick (The Batman, Tenet one).
Gans is good news though, movie will look visually beautiful with nice practical effects.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Not too amazed by the casting of James. It should have been Robert Patrick (The Batman, Tenet one).
Gans is good news though, movie will look visually beautiful with nice practical effects.

you mean Robert Pattinson.

Only… he’s Batman, dude. They could never afford him for this.

Also… good fucking luck to Gans and crew. They now have The Last Of Us as the benchmark.

Last edited:
I wonder who is playing EDDIE. Anyway, its going to be a real treat to see this in theaters. Gans will make something cool. My guess is that this is a combination of Silent Hill 2 and 4, with James coming to Silent Hill to save Mary from a Walter Sullivan type

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Only… he’s Batman, dude. They could never afford him for this.
Robert Pattinson takes on roles for small movies all the time. Ever hear of Good Time? The Lighthouse? There are many more examples too, and these are all post-Twilight.

I doubt he'd take a role for a shitty Silent Hill movie, though.

Drizzlehell

Banned
At least it doesn't try to shoehorn in the first movie into it because that was my biggest worry ever since the ending to the first one sort of suggested that a sequel will be about Sean Bean looking for his wife.

Also, no movie adaptation of SH2 will ever meet expectations because they're just too high and it's impossible to adapt something that was already perfect in its original form. It's futile to have anything but zero expectations for it.

luij81

Banned
Robert Pattinson takes on roles for small movies all the time. Ever hear of Good Time? The Lighthouse? There are many more examples too, and these are all post-Twilight.

I doubt he'd take a role for a shitty Silent Hill movie, though.
Exactly. And both the examples you provided are very good movies for a reason. They have great professionals behind it, such as writers, directors, actors etc. That's what balance the equation when it comes to picking small movies over blockbusters once in a while. That's what "lures" good actors into small movies.

And no Silent Hill movie released so far, including the first one, standout as a good movie - which is a bad sign for this new entrance, considering they're basically taking the same path with it. The average gamer tend to like the first one because it kinda looks like the games, but that's all. And let's be honest, these people usually have very low standards in regards to quality in movies.

Aside from aesthetics (which is really good in the first one), the movie is a mess: the screeplay makes little to no sense, some dialogues are poorly written, many scenes are not properly crafted (as if they were practically copied and pasted from the games with no context at all), and so on. And I'm not even talking about the sequences, as I didn't even bother watching it.

Doom85

At least it doesn't try to shoehorn in the first movie into it because that was my biggest worry ever since the ending to the first one sort of suggested that a sequel will be about Sean Bean looking for his wife.

Actually, that’s how the second film ended, Harry going back to Silent Hill to find Rose, it seemed the director (a different one from the guy who did 1 and this upcoming one) somehow thought he could adapt SH2 that way ignoring the facts that:

1) Harry did not kill his wife, thus how can it be like 2?

2) he just abandoned his daughter, with his bullshit excuse that Vincent can look after her. Oh yes, if you didn’t see the second film, Vincent has been changed from a creepy, manipulative asshole to a pretty boy love interest for Heather (oh, don’t worry, they de-aged him down to her age, as if that wouldn’t make SH fans still want to gag). Never mind Harry barely knows Vincent, hell Heather has known him for like a day.

3. Oh yeah, and confused that Harry is alive?? Trust me, we all are, as Heather having to fight the urge to give in to hatred over her father’s death was kind of her main character arc in the game, but now she’s slightly inconvenienced by him being kidnapped. Sean Bean dies in movies/TV all the time, way to fuck up one of the most plot relevant times one of his characters needed to die. Oh, and of course, this means Douglas dies instead after like one scene, just removing a character with a lot of depth so we can focus more on Vincent‘s romance with Heather which feels like fanfiction written by a creepy dude going, “man, I want this adult man to hook up with this 17 year old girl, but no way will they let that be in the movie, wait, I’ve got it, I’ll make him her age, which definitely won’t make the people who played the game want to apply some brain bleach!”

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

As someone who loves Silent Hill 3 so much it’s personally in my top 10 favorite games of all time, its why the second movie is my most hated film of all time. The first movie is by no means perfect, but it’s a decent film and even its changes are nothing compared to the shitshow that was the second film.

(oh, and don’t think the second film was content with a sequel hook for a SH2 “adaptation”. Oh no, it also ends with Heather and Vincent hitching a ride with Travis from Silent Hill Origins, and as they’re leaving a prison bus passes them which would be setup for a Downpour adaptation. Hey, director and writer, maybe worry less about setting up three “adaptations” and worry more about not making the film you’re currently on not be one of the most disrespectful adaptations of all time?!)

Drizzlehell

Banned
Actually, that’s how the second film ended, Harry going back to Silent Hill to find Rose, it seemed the director (a different one from the guy who did 1 and this upcoming one) somehow thought he could adapt SH2 that way ignoring the facts that:

1) Harry did not kill his wife, thus how can it be like 2?

2) he just abandoned his daughter, with his bullshit excuse that Vincent can look after her. Oh yes, if you didn’t see the second film, Vincent has been changed from a creepy, manipulative asshole to a pretty boy love interest for Heather (oh, don’t worry, they de-aged him down to her age, as if that wouldn’t make SH fans still want to gag). Never mind Harry barely knows Vincent, hell Heather has known him for like a day.

3. Oh yeah, and confused that Harry is alive?? Trust me, we all are, as Heather having to fight the urge to give in to hatred over her father’s death was kind of her main character arc in the game, but now she’s slightly inconvenienced by him being kidnapped. Sean Bean dies in movies/TV all the time, way to fuck up one of the most plot relevant times one of his characters needed to die. Oh, and of course, this means Douglas dies instead after like one scene, just removing a character with a lot of depth so we can focus more on Vincent‘s romance with Heather which feels like fanfiction written by a creepy dude going, “man, I want this adult man to hook up with this 17 year old girl, but no way will they let that be in the movie, wait, I’ve got it, I’ll make him her age, which definitely won’t make the people who played the game want to apply some brain bleach!”

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

As someone who loves Silent Hill 3 so much it’s personally in my top 10 favorite games of all time, its why the second movie is my most hated film of all time. The first movie is by no means perfect, but it’s a decent film and even its changes are nothing compared to the shitshow that was the second film.

(oh, and don’t think the second film was content with a sequel hook for a SH2 “adaptation”. Oh no, it also ends with Heather and Vincent hitching a ride with Travis from Silent Hill Origins, and as they’re leaving a prison bus passes them which would be setup for a Downpour adaptation. Hey, director and writer, maybe worry less about setting up three “adaptations” and worry more about not making the film you’re currently on not be one of the most disrespectful adaptations of all time?!)
Oh yeah, I forgot all about that. Been a while since I saw either of those films but I actually saw the second one only once many years ago, and I honestly would rather forget that it even exists at all. It was just horrible.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'll be a little disappointed if "James," doesn't end up being adapted to Chris DaSilva, because the second movie ended quite nicely with Sean Bean er....returning to Silent Hill...to find his wife. It's not in line with the games, but have some conviction with the direction of your own take on the universe. MAKE IT MAKE SENSE CHRISTOPHE

peronmls

The same writer/director that wanted an all-female cast to fulfill his hot and bothered needs. The effects producers even said in the interview C.G wanted it to be "oestrogen-filled". You better hope whoever is overseeing it makes sure he doesn't pull that crap again. That's why Harry has little involvement and isn't given his role. It's given to the female lead. The movie could have been so much better if the dude wasn't so horny. Low expectations from me.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The same writer/director that wanted an all-female cast to fulfill his hot and bothered needs. The effects producers even said in the interview C.G wanted it to be "oestrogen-filled". You better hope whoever is overseeing it makes sure he doesn't pull that crap again. That's why Harry has little involvement and isn't given his role. It's given to the female lead. The movie could have been so much better if the dude wasn't so horny. Low expectations from me.

To be fair all the original Team Silent games have either a female antagonist or protagonist. And yeah I'd include the Room too as that's characterized as "mother"!

Replacing Harry with Rose wasn't an issue for me because in the context of the story of the first Silent Hill it doesn't really matter because the macguffin is parent trying to find the missing child. SH2 of course is a whole different story due to the heavy psycho-sexual element.

Gans' can be faulted I guess for trying to cover the first game specifically and the whole series generally in the same picture, but sticking Pyramid Head in there (probably a studio demand for a marquee monster) made that unavoidable. Adapting SH2 is a wholly separate narrative with no need for connection so no long term harm should've been caused by the change.

(And let's forget the second movie even exists. Please!!)

violence

I heard he originally wanted to adapt Silent hill 2 for the first movie. Glad he’s getting a second chance. I want to see his Silent hill 2 movie.

Last edited:
SH is a totally adaptable franchise into a movie, its slower paced, psychological horror with creepy imagery. I too liked the 2006 movie actually. But it would help if the directors kept TO THE FUCKING SCRIPT for once.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought the first movie was pretty good as far as video game adaptions go.

If it's the same director, I'm in.
Weird thing about the first film is that it used a lot of tracks from the SH2 OST. I agree. I had a copy back in 2006 and when the Homecoming game came out GameStop gave the film DVD with the purchase of the game. For what it is, it isn’t terrible.

Last edited:

Madflavor

The consensus with the 2006 Silent Hill movie is "good enough". Silent Hill 2 imo is the greatest video game story ever told. It deserves more than good enough. At best I think this film will be passable, but oh man. If SH2 were in the right hands by a real visionary director, it'd be something special.

peronmls

To be fair all the original Team Silent games have either a female antagonist or protagonist. And yeah I'd include the Room too as that's characterized as "mother"!

Replacing Harry with Rose wasn't an issue for me because in the context of the story of the first Silent Hill it doesn't really matter because the macguffin is parent trying to find the missing child. SH2 of course is a whole different story due to the heavy psycho-sexual element.

Gans' can be faulted I guess for trying to cover the first game specifically and the whole series generally in the same picture, but sticking Pyramid Head in there (probably a studio demand for a marquee monster) made that unavoidable. Adapting SH2 is a wholly separate narrative with no need for connection so no long term harm should've been caused by the change.

(And let's forget the second movie even exists. Please!!)
There being a female protagonist or antagonist has nothing to do with what I'm saying at all. It makes zero sense to have an all-female cast for the plot of the first Silent Hill. It has to do with the writer/director and his weird-ass horror fantasies. Also, Alessa is the Devil in the movie. There is no Devil in the video games. There is no PH or Lying Figure in the plot of SH1. There is nothing that represents Alessa in the movie. Nothing makes sense. Why you think those ideas fit the theme of the first SH game is beyond me. They appear as homages. Not because they make sense in the movie because it doesn't. Just like the music which I'm really surprised they didn't make original besides being slightly edited. There is no trama going on with any of the characters. There is nothing to care about.

Last edited:

Duchess

Have to wonder which ending they'll go for. I always like the Maria ending the best, as it was pretty messed up as far as things go.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There being a female protagonist or antagonist has nothing to do with what I'm saying at all. It makes zero sense to have an all-female cast for the plot of the first Silent Hill. It has to do with the writer/director and his weird-ass horror fantasies. Also, Alessa is the Devil in the movie. There is no Devil in the video games. There is no PH or Lying Figure in the plot of SH1. There is nothing that represents Alessa in the movie. Nothing makes sense. Why you think those ideas fit the theme of the first SH game is beyond me. They appear as homages. Not because they make sense in the movie because it doesn't. Just like the music which I'm really surprised they didn't make original besides being slightly edited. There is no trama going on with any of the characters. There is nothing to care about.

I already pointed out that sticking PH in there was likely a sop to producers looking to pull in a wider audience than just fans of the game. SH was a pretty expensive picture, not some cheap cash-in so they'd need something to hang the marketing on.

I liked the Centralia additions, as I felt it made thematic sense and helped tie down the visual aesthetic. I love the original SH game, but objectively its full of really random stuff that only works because of its lo-fi Playstation presentation. I mean we all take for granted the air-raid sirens as the harbingers of the world shifting, but who's operating them in this dead town and why are they there in some little resort town anyway?

Similarly all the UFO iconography like the grey "children" doesn't really tie-in well (although I do find it funny that Gans, a Frenchman, would reference a visual that isn't present in the European release), so its not a simple thing to adapt it accurately.

Not to say that I think its a perfect adaptation - I hated the way Yamaoka's music was chopped-up for example - but I quite liked the overall direction and the ideas behind it.

Top Bottom