• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SILENT HILL 2: Bloober Team expects over 10 million units to be sold

Status
Not open for further replies.
New original author link, old link removed, https://mp1st.com/news/bloober-ceo-...llion-copies-sold-is-a-realistic-range-for-us
The second installment of Silent Hill hasn’t yet been released. The game is going to go on in 2023, so we don’t know when it’ll be scheduled for this release. Despite this, Bloober Team is very optimistic with regards to sales. As per Piotr Babieno, director of the studio, the expectations will reach about ten million copies.

BLOOBER TEAM EXPECTS SOME 10 MILLION UNITS SOLD FROM ITS SILENT HILL 2 REMAKE.​

The executive director gave the information during an interview with the Bankier Portal. We must agree that this forecast is very optimistic. Babieno said that the average is based on market research done by the developer. Honestly, a game with limited audience is very optimistic. We all know that there’s a huge hype for the return of Silent Hill. However, horror games tend to be a part of a particular niche of players. Regardless, we can underestimate the nostalgic factor.

It was worth noting that Bloober Team had a better performance on the market. With the advent of survival horror, there is optimism in this release. We don’t know exactly how the studio achieved this forecast. The game won’t even be ready for pre-orders. We assume that there’s been several research efforts in the community that are done to determine whether the players are interested in this game. However, on this subject is hard to find out what to do. It doesn’t mean you’ll buy because having the intention to buy.

In spite of the rise of horror films, they still have limited sales in comparison to other genres. The latest versions of Resident Evil did not pass the 10 million mark for sales. Again, this is a niche that, and not everyone wants to play this kind of game. Will Bloober Team break all the boundaries and surprise us? Time will tell.

The original Silent Hill 2 was riding off PS2 and Xbox hype and the success of the first game with a big push and struggled to get over 1 million units, and all the games after never touched it, and several of the latest releases were struggling to sell more than a couple hundred thousand. The series was niche for most of its run to a very loud hardcore fanbase.

While Silent Hill 2 remake is coming and it will have it's share of nostalgia and excitement involved, I think 10 million copies is impossible. I'm not even sure 3 million is possible even if you account fans of the first game coming back to play the game that's been highly praised by series fans, usually as the best. I think if they reach 2 million, that would be a big success on its own. Would put it near the sales of the first game.

Update
Article author clarifies in in new edit,
This means that the studio isn’t expecting 10 million copies from Silent Hill 2’s remake, but more on how the studio is confident that with them dipping their toes in the survival horror genre, that this 10M number will be achievable at some point soon.

Wording has been updated in the original article link now added, though they are still expecting at some point to be able to achieve 10 million sales for a horror game in the future, even if it's not for Silent Hill 2 specifically.

Last edited:

Beechos

10 million sold. I'm not even sure it can sell that multiplatform let alone exclusive.

The Office Lol GIF

Last edited:

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
https://game-news24.com/2023/03/24/...eam-expects-over-10-million-units-to-be-sold/

The original Silent Hill 2 was riding off PS2 and Xbox hype and the success of the first game with a big push and struggled to get over 1 million units, and all the games after never touched it, and several of the latest releases were struggling to sell more than a couple hundred thousand. The series was niche for most of its run to a very loud hardcore fanbase.

While Silent Hill 2 remake is coming and it will have it's share of nostalgia and excitement involved, I think 10 million copies is impossible. I'm not even sure 3 million is possible even if you account fans of the first game coming back to play the game that's been highly praised by series fans, usually as the best. I think if they reach 2 million, that would be a big success on its own. Would put it near the sales of the first game.
FYI: that is a scraper site. Please do NOT share their content, as they STEAL their content from websites all over the world. Case in point: this article.

This is wrong. I was the one who wrote it, and it seemed off (due to DeepL translation), and asked a native Polish speaker to translate it. Here's our updated article
https://mp1st.com/news/bloober-ceo-...llion-copies-sold-is-a-realistic-range-for-us

MiguelItUp

Man, they must have a lot of faith in that remake... I don't know how to feel about this, lol.

Edit: Ah, after seeing E excaliburps article it makes MUCH more sense...

"This means that the studio isn’t expecting 10 million copies from Silent Hill 2’s remake, but more on how the studio is confident that with them dipping their toes in the survival horror genre, that this 10M number will be achievable at some point soon."

At least their first trailer got more views than the trailers of some of the "monster hits" of one company...

QbfXIxz.png
Which?

Last edited:

Koppelthorn

Banned
Yeah...can't see it happening, especially if the critical response once its released is lukewarm which is more than possible. I can see maybe a max of 3 or 4 million copies though. But I wish them good luck, the other poster here is right that the trailer got plenty of views.

I mean for reference, iirc MGS:V didn't even break 10 million units sold, and the hype for that was unreal + all the sales over the past nearly 8 years or so. I wonder though, if this estimation is really internal expectations from Blooper, or expectations from Konami passed onto Blooper...hmm...maybe they got trick up their sleeve?

delB1hr.png

Anyone remember this btw? I wonder if they are still Demons 🤔

Last edited:
I'd definitely rather have new storylines for my games. These remakes are arguably cash grabby. Not necessarily bad games in themselves depending on your outlook, but they aren't "new" games, as such.

Why not give us new games like a new adventure set in Silent Hill, which is actually coming at some point. Or RE9, or Revelations 3? I'd rather have these type of games, even if the SH2 remake is decent.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Man, they must have a lot of faith in that remake... I don't know how to feel about this, lol.

Edit: Ah, after seeing E excaliburps article it makes MUCH more sense...

"This means that the studio isn’t expecting 10 million copies from Silent Hill 2’s remake, but more on how the studio is confident that with them dipping their toes in the survival horror genre, that this 10M number will be achievable at some point soon."

Which?
Yep, exactly. My apologies for using DeepL and trusting Google Translate too much. :)

I changed the overall headline as well, though not the URL slug.

They are doing good to hit 2 million in a lifetime imo and that’s definitely pushing it. That’s GOW: Ragnarok numbers. Even at it’s peak, was Silent Hill 2 ever popular enough to justify such insurmountable numbers? I wish them the best, but I think they are going to highly disappointed if this is legitimate.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, they are getting ahead with themselves with such estimates. But yeah. SH2 is popular, so that's what they're holding out for.

Never count your chickens before they've hatched, as they do often say. 🐔 🐔 🐔 🐔

FYI: that is a scraper site. Please do NOT share their content, as they STEAL their content from websites all over the world. Case in point: this article.

This is wrong. I was the one who wrote it, and it seemed off (due to DeepL translation), and asked a native Polish speaker to translate it. Here's our updated article
https://mp1st.com/news/bloober-ceo-...llion-copies-sold-is-a-realistic-range-for-us

Ahh,, didn't know there were still journalists here, I see you recently started posting again since 2020 good to have you clarify this confusion.

Yes, looking into your link it does seem to be the case of a translation issue, thanks for the clarification. I'll add your link to the OP.

However, they do still say that eventually 10 million would be achievable in the context of Silent Hill, which I still think is unlikely given the franchise we are discussing. But at least this makes things more clear.

They are doing good to hit 2 million in a lifetime imo and that’s definitely pushing it. That’s GOW: Ragnarok numbers. Even at it’s peak, was Silent Hill 2 ever popular enough to justify such insurmountable numbers? I wish them the best, but I think they are going to highly disappointed if this is legitimate.

No, Silent Hill 2 sold less than Solent Hill one on more platforms. Bloober thinks that they will break their sales cap with horror games, but I think they are incredibly optimistic.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
New original author link, old link removed, https://mp1st.com/news/bloober-ceo-...llion-copies-sold-is-a-realistic-range-for-us

Update
Article author clarifies in in new edit,

Wording has been updated in the original article link now added, though they are still expecting at some point to be able to achieve 10 million sales for a horror game in the future, even if it's not for Silent Hill 2 specifically.

Bloober... Silent hill is not a FIFA 😆

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom