• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SILENT HILL 2: Bloober Team expects over 10 million units to be sold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 5M is a super crazy high goal too. I say that as a huge fan of the series. I hope this remake is amazing. But there’s no way it does 10M on one platform. Silent Hill is not GoW.
that is why i said, i will be shocked.

the realistic high expectation is around 3M i think. (that is if blooper doesn't fuck up)

Not sure what numbers Resident Evil is putting out. But Silent Hill was always less commercial than RE. Which I think it is by design due to it being very oppressive and symbolic. That said, I think SH will move about 40% the number RE4 makes. That’s optimistic, if the game is well received critically.

In large part because of Konami not being in good terms with gamers. They have a long road ahead in their recovery from that Pachinko craze a few years back. But SH2 remake is a step in the right direction. The very little they’ve shown of SHf looks great, so hopefully by then, the community is more warm towards them.

radewagon

5Jpuner.png

RafterXL

These guys are setting themselves up for disappointment. Silent Hill never sold well, what makes them think they'll sell 5x the copies of the original?

Arachnid

giphy.gif

And when it doesn't sell that, the series will be shelved for a decade or two. Even the Resident Evil 2 Remake and RE7 sold around 12 mil copies. They expect to do "RE in it's prime" type numbers when Silent Hill has only ever sold a fraction of RE? Nothing I love more than hearing stupid expectations from devs/pubs before launch. Even worse, it's Bloober.

Last edited:

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Ahh,, didn't know there were still journalists here, I see you recently started posting again since 2020 good to have you clarify this confusion.

Yes, looking into your link it does seem to be the case of a translation issue, thanks for the clarification. I'll add your link to the OP.

However, they do still say that eventually 10 million would be achievable in the context of Silent Hill, which I still think is unlikely given the franchise we are discussing. But at least this makes things more clear.
Thanks! Yes, I do lurk and post here (and Reddit mostly). :) As long as there's not too much drama and whatnot. I mean, you have no idea how much drama gaming forums generate. LOL!

Yep, you're right. I mean, based on what Bloober's CEO said, it seems they are referring to Silent Hill 2, but it's kind of putting his words into his mouth even if it's inferred, and we (games media) can't really do that since it's assumption. =)

kiphalfton

that is why i said, i will be shocked.

the realistic high expectation is around 3M i think. (that is if blooper doesn't fuck up)
If Bloober fucks up, and they seem to have a bad track record in that regard (specifically when it comes to technical performance), that could be it for Silent Hill.

Even if there are however many games currently in development, this is the big one that Konami is probably going to base the future of the series on.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Well, if there's one thing that makes me super confident that a remake of Silent Hill 2 is going to stay true to the original game's niche aesthetic, tone and story it's an article that tells me the devs want a multimillion seller.

Frustrated Fuck My Life GIF

This is going to be a watered down, commercially driven disaster, isn't it?

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If The Callisto Protocol can shift 2mill in 3 weeks(
And still be called a flop because everyone really wanted the game to fail because they suck donkey dick at the most simplest controls like "oh no it didn't sale 5mill at launch this is bad what a bad game, it deserves to flop" even BIG games rarely do that 🙄
I'm sure Silent Hill 2 will do better, looking to the originals numbers is redundant

Last edited:
If The Callisto Protocol can shift 2mill in 3 weeks(
And still be called a flop because everyone really wanted the game to fail, like "oh no it didn't sale 5mill at launch this is bad what a bad game" even BIG games rarely do that 🙄
I'm sure Silent Hill 2 will do better, looking to the originals numbers is redundant
you crazy. everyone was hyped.

and it was a flop because it cost 100M+

Elios83

That's certainly optimistic for a horror game in a series that has stayed dormant for a long time.
But I think they'll do a great job with the game and based on the first trailer they're treating the source material well.

TGO

you crazy. everyone was hyped.

and it was a flop because it cost 100M+
They was until Glen Schofield comments about development crunch, people started to claim some dumb shit about it before they even played it, and some even brought into the negativity and even it's biggest crime (a dodge system) was blown out of proportion.
Their was even people in the OT who hadn't even played it, they just saw it on YouTube & repeated shit they heard to justified the OT being their new hangout spot to tell everyone they're not really enjoying the game 🙄

I'm not saying it was GOTY material, but the game did have unfair negativity and sold well in 3 weeks for a new IP.
I mean half the headlines read like troll threads on Gaf.
And if Krafton expect 5mill day one sales they was delusional.
But 2mill in the launch month without the negative coverage it would have done 5mill easy.
Hell we've only had sales from the first 3 weeks, so unless it completely stopped selling (which it didn't and was still charting when Dead Space released)
The life time sales might be respectable for a new IP.
But no matter what your opinion is one the game it doesn't change the fact it did have an unfair spot light put on it

They was until Glen Schofield comments about development crunch, people started to claim some dumb shit about it before they even played it, and some even brought into the negativity and even it's biggest crime (a dodge system) was blown out of proportion.
Their was even people in the OT who hadn't even played it, they just saw it on YouTube & repeated shit they heard to justified the OT being their new hangout spot to tell everyone they're not really enjoying the game 🙄

I'm not saying it was GOTY material, but the game did have unfair negativity and sold well in 3 weeks for a new IP.
I mean half the headlines read like troll threads on Gaf.
And if Krafton expect 5mill day one sales they was delusional.
But 2mill in the launch month without the negative coverage it would have done 5mill easy.
Hell we've only had sales from the first 3 weeks, so unless it completely stopped selling (which it didn't and was still charting when Dead Space released)
The life time sales might be respectable for a new IP.
But no matter what your opinion is one the game it doesn't change the fact it did have an unfair spot light put on it
well, are you saying the state in which the game came out (performance issues and mixed reception) didnt had any impact on sales?

TGO

well, are you saying the state in which the game came out (performance issues and mixed reception) didnt had any impact on sales?
Well that was a odd one, I'm sure it did but most sales would of been on Playstation & PC anyway and the PS5 version was fine.
But yeah I agree performance on other platforms it would've a effect on sales.
I just disagree with everything else.
I don't even think it done to bad for a new IP and was surprised they jumped on it so early claiming 2mill was bad at that point, but they did.

Well that was a odd one, I'm sure it did but most sales would of been on Playstation & PC anyway and the PS5 version was fine.
But yeah I agree performance on other platforms it would've a effect on sales.
I just disagree with everything else.
I don't even think it done to bad for a new IP and was surprised they jumped on it so early claiming 2mill was bad at that point, but they did.
The issue was not the number of copies sold, but rather the budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom