• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SILENT HILL 2: Bloober Team expects over 10 million units to be sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The issue was not the number of copies sold, but rather the budget
Well there's no clarity, they expected 5mill at day one?
This is what we have to assume by how it's reported
It reached 2mill after 3 weeks and was quickly pointed out it didn't do 5mill
So what was the life time expectations?
What are the actual sales now?
Was they really realistic regardless of budget for a new IP & First Project from a new Development Team?
it doesn't matter who the team was before.
They're unrealistic by any standards

Well there's no clarity, they expected 5mill at day one?
This is what we have to assume by how it's reported
It reached 2mill after 3 weeks and was quickly pointed out it didn't do 5mill
So what was the life time expectations?
What are the actual sales now?
Was they really realistic regardless of budget for a new IP & First Project from a new Development Team?
it doesn't matter who the team was before.
They're unrealistic by any standards
yeah. because success/faliure is relative. clearly, they missed the mark.

xrnzaaas

Bloober needs to make a great game first and then we'll talk. They haven't made a game with actual combat yet and that makes me worried if they are capable of creating a good survival horror. In my opinion they should've included some fighting in The Medium (and not just stealth) to use the game sort of as a training ground before SH.

Roufianos

Didn't Konami report in late 2018, in selling 9M for the whole SH franchise. And Bloober expects to do more than that in one game? Lol.

2-3M would be good for the this game.
Exactly. Absolutely laughable. Silent Hill was never popular. People seem to be equating the thirst for Silent Hills which isn't going to carry over to this game.

Thanks! Yes, I do lurk and post here (and Reddit mostly). :) As long as there's not too much drama and whatnot. I mean, you have no idea how much drama gaming forums generate. LOL!

Yep, you're right. I mean, based on what Bloober's CEO said, it seems they are referring to Silent Hill 2, but it's kind of putting his words into his mouth even if it's inferred, and we (games media) can't really do that since it's assumption. =)

It seems they want it both ways with out it's worded.

But yeah, Games news 24 been used by a few people here and on other boards, some sites cite them, and they show up in the news aggregates including Google somehow despite scraping, so thanks for letting me know about that.

RagnarokIV

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...chalice-says-former-series-writer-sam-barlow/

“I mean, good luck to them because I don’t know how you can do that without upsetting people.”
Barlow was more positive about Konami’s other planned Silent Hill games, and the potential breadth of stories that can be told in that universe.

“The version of Silent Hill that I would love – which it sounds like they’re pushing – is that ‘we use this as a platform to have a range of interesting psychological horror games’,” he explained.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
It seems they want it both ways with out it's worded.

But yeah, Games news 24 been used by a few people here and on other boards, some sites cite them, and they show up in the news aggregates including Google somehow despite scraping, so thanks for letting me know about that.
My pleasure. They are stealing their content from a few sites that I know (confirmed with sites as well). Just scummy. We are actively trying to have their host take 'em all down.

I can see this fella selling a couple million. 10? That'll be nice if it can hit that target- but this fella has a rather high nostalgia bar to jump.

That being said - RE 4 and DS both are doing nice, so who knows.

Arsic

Gold Member
Silent hill franchise ? Niche .

Survival horror ? Niche.

Bloober fans ? Niche .

Our sales ? 10 million lifetime.

*hits Bloobers crack pipe* Oh shit I can see it now

Madflavor

I recently came across this.

Does any of that talk of every ending being canon even add up at all?

I mean, you either left the damn town of Silent Hill or you didn't. Right?

I always preferred the "Leave" ending, so I'm happy to hear this. "Water" is way too fucking depressing for my taste, plus "Water" doesn't resolve what happens to Laura.

I wonder what the Japanese game called just f has to do with the mythology, giving how Silent Hill is situated in the United States.

Yeah, I know the games occasionally visited other places, but it always occurred on American soil up to this point.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It might sell well, but people are waiting to see how it turns out. I don’t think there’s any blind faith for this title, like a Final Fantasy or Zelda.

Last edited:
10 million huh?
i-just-want-to-tell-you-goodluck.gif

I don't think they're going to make it.

Perhaps. But it beats me why that guy who worked on the original insists every ending is canon.

Unless it's like being in hell, where everything plays out differently. Kind of like in the Hellraiser movies with the dirty cop, and Kirsty's unfaithful husband. They repeat the same nightmare, with the outcome being a bit different each time it happens.

I don't need a remake when I can emulate the game at 4k so IDGAF.

But none of the PS2 horror games sold well which is why the genre died.
Expect whatever Dead Space sold.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
All they need to do is follow the script. Play the PS2 game a dozen or more times. Don’t inject a lot of BS. With that said, I don’t get the hate this remake is getting. If it’s good, it won’t matter who made it. If it fails to perform then Konami picked the wrong studio to make it. I’m not sitting here mad that they decided to remake one of the best psychological horror games to ever come out.

SkylineRKR

Impossible target. Prime SH never sold that much to begin with. If you factor in RE4's sales, no way SH is going to even come close. First and foremost, the game needs to be good.

Fake

So SH2 got no chance.

RE4MAKE had very respect to the source material of the original RE4. The director from this new Silent Hill said that will take the libertity to change the game for modern audience. There is no way this game will beat RE4make in term of sales because RE is a more popular franchise and the remake keep most of the game intact. Just by the fact they said about changing the game will keep the fans from the original Silent Hill 2 alway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom