• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake aims to be faithful, will adjust scare factors for “contemporary audiences”?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Bu bu but all these changes

It's a remake in 2013.

Think Which One GIF

cortadew

Ideally, remakes should rarely be a thing.
And if they are to be made, they should keep the most important elements of the original game intact (e.g. camera perspective, direction, story, difficulty, gameplay) and only improve performance, texture/screen resolution, audio quality, animations, fix some bugs, etc.
This sounds like a very closed minded view on how a remake should, if that were the case why should I pay for the same game if barely is improved?

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
This sounds like a very closed minded view on how a remake should, if that were the case why should I pay for the same game if barely is improved?
So if it's not changed somehow it means it's worthless as is?

This whole idea of remakes became a trend especially because corporations (this applies to the movie industry as well) realized they can profit from existing content with less effort. These people don't care about the original concept. They don't care about preserving what made the original interesting.

They just want to sell you the "same thing" a second or third time, and they slap this idea that "it must be different", "for modern audiences" as some sort of justification for people to purchase it again.

Which basically means they will do whatever the <current trend> is to appeal to the general audience (i.e. to sell more)
In other words, they are eager to throw in the trash whatever individuality the original had for the sake of modernism,

So you see the issue?
> Modern audiences are not interested in old game "x" (like you said, if no changes are made, why would you buy it?)
> Bad idea to release game "x" as is, it will bomb in sales
> Let's turn game "x" into something it never was to begin with, preferrably followng whatever trends normies love nowadays
> Remake "y" is made, and it's usually something that completely misses the point of the original (either in visuals, presentation, story, gameplay, take your pick)

And people that played the original join the bandwagon because they want their past experience to be validated, as I stated previously.

Will the end product be as good or *gasp* better than the original?
Who knows? Maybe it might become!
But only if the developer is doing that remake not *only* for the money, but to *actually* improve upon the original while always respecting what made it an unique experience.
Which is not the case for 99.9% of remakes.

The point is, there is no need to bury the original for the sake of money and money only.
Just make another new one unrelated to that (i.e. Silent Hill 5, 6 whatever) if you want to make something different.

cortadew

So if it's not changed somehow it means it's worthless as is?

This whole idea of remakes became a trend especially because corporations (this applies to the movie industry as well) realized they can profit from existing content with less effort. These people don't care about the original concept. They don't care about preserving what made the original interesting.

They just want to sell you the "same thing" a second or third time, and they slap this idea that "it must be different", "for modern audiences" as some sort of justification for people to purchase it again.

Which basically means they will do whatever the <current trend> is to appeal to the general audience (i.e. to sell more)
In other words, they are eager to throw in the trash whatever individuality the original had for the sake of modernism,

So you see the issue?
> Modern audiences are not interested in old game "x" (like you said, if no changes are made, why would you buy it?)
> Bad idea to release game "x" as is, it will bomb in sales
> Let's turn game "x" into something it never was to begin with, preferrably followng whatever trends normies love nowadays
> Remake "y" is made, and it's usually something that completely misses the point of the original (either in visuals, presentation, story, gameplay, take your pick)

And people that played the original join the bandwagon because they want their past experience to be validated, as I stated previously.

Will the end product be as good or *gasp* better than the original?
Who knows? Maybe it might become!
But only if the developer is doing that remake not *only* for the money, but to *actually* improve upon the original while always respecting what made it an unique experience.
Which is not the case for 99.9% of remakes.

The point is, there is no need to bury the original for the sake of money and money only.
Just make another new one unrelated to that (i.e. Silent Hill 5, 6 whatever) if you want to make something different.
If it's not changed at all what's the point of doing a remake?, not even RE1 remake which is considered one of the greatest remakes ever made and one that completely trivializes the original is identical in the way you mean.

Maybe you are right about companies milking the product but by that same argument we can lump together the whole gaming industry.

Modern audiences were asking for decades for a remake of resident evil 2, it didn't come out of Capcom's ass to do it.

Same thing for silent hill, fans were desperate for a new game, didn't care if it was a remake or a new entry.

It seems you are contradicting yourself a bit, if they changed and "ruin" the OG vision in the remake, how are they selling you "the same game"?

I hope they really draw out James’s walk to Silent Hill at the beginning. Make it take an hour, to build tension.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Are modern feminst sjws going to ruin this game also? You think they would love it because SPOILERS BELOW

This game is about Silent Hill Punishing James for Murdering his wife, and also the fact the enemies have a theme of punishing James sexual views on women via the nurses design, and also Maria basically being his ideal woman that silent also uses to punish him.

This is a case of these people not paying attention to context, thus defeating their own argument.

James may be sympathetic, but that is not completely true on the whole. Even if he hates himself upon the big reveal, everything in this game basically calls James out for being a piece of shit.
It's not exactly punishing him. It's just a manifestation of his own guilt. And we never know if he's really a piece of shit or if his wife asked him to do it.

If this is successful i think Bloober is going to be Konami’s Silent Hill remake factory. I am sure 3 will be next. I wonder if the remake of 2 will hint at Walter Sullivan like the original did.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Is it about punishment? I kind of think Silent Hill is more like purgatory than hell. James has to face what he's done in order to move on in his purification. Maybe.

Purgatory is a temporary punishment to right one's sins before they can ascend to heaven.

EDMIX

If it's not changed at all what's the point of doing a remake?, not even RE1 remake which is considered one of the greatest remakes ever made and one that completely trivializes the original is identical in the way you mean.

Maybe you are right about companies milking the product but by that same argument we can lump together the whole gaming industry.

Modern audiences were asking for decades for a remake of resident evil 2, it didn't come out of Capcom's ass to do it.

Same thing for silent hill, fans were desperate for a new game, didn't care if it was a remake or a new entry.

It seems you are contradicting yourself a bit, if they changed and "ruin" the OG vision in the remake, how are they selling you "the same game"?

Agreed.

That is the idea behind a "re" make, as in they are doing it over again.

This.

I noticed gatekeepers love doing this weird shit like "ruinz da orignalz" and then be like "its da same game" lol

Even this idea of companies "milking" a product, that isn't a fucking "Trend", thats been around for as long as the industry as been around or haven't people heard of Super Street Fighter II X Tournament GOTY Enhanced edition HD Ultra.....remix lol

Oh but shit a ground up remake is milking? I don't now if I'd go as far as to say any of that shit as this isn't free, its not cheap and its not some copy and paste. To hear people bitch about ports, remasters and say "nothing was done boooo" and then to fucking hear them now bitch about a GROUND UP REMAKE, from the fucking PS2 no less and now this is milking and "the same game.

I don't think you can help gamers like this. They hate everything, complain about anything made and if this was a new game they'd be complaining, port, complain, remaster (wow can't remake it you lazy fucks) remakes it (more milking I see) lol People like this can't be helped.

They know whats good for those IPs apparently, its why they are running a multimillion dollar publisher themselves and done fine /s

i input the information into the A.I....this is the answer:

Silent Hill 2 Remake​

The information provided in the text you've shared is not verifiable by my resources, and it's not clear how reliable the source of the information is, but it is worth considering how changes to the gameplay and graphics of a remake may affect the overall experience for players.

For example, the change from fixed camera angles to an over-the-shoulder view may change the way players experience the game's atmosphere and tension. Similarly, changes to combat could affect the way players interact with enemies and the game's pacing. These types of changes could potentially make the game more appealing to a contemporary audience but also change the overall experience of the game.

Additionally, the information about the "safe approach to any changes" for the story elements and the passage of time adjustments should be taken with a grain of salt as it is not clear what that means. But it's important to keep in mind that any changes made to the story can be both good and bad, it can improve the game's pacing, make it more relatable, or it can completely change the essence of the game.

It's important to keep an open mind and wait to see the final product before making any judgments. The developers may have new ideas and improvements to bring to the game, but they also may retain the original's atmosphere and elements that made it such a loved classic game.

laynelane

A lot of the potential audience for this game will be fans of the series who are unlikely to appreciate the scare factor being "adjusted". Whatever changes they make, I just hope it's nothing too drastic and this isn't going to be one of those times where a game is changed to appeal to a new audience while alienating the old one.

Last edited:
I can think of several reasons. Not everyone has a way of playing a good version of SH2. 1. If you don't game on PC or own an original ps2 you cant play a decent version of it. 2. You want the atmosphere to be preserved but the graphics greatly improved. (A la LoU1 and Demons souls).

Some people don't want a different or "improved" as you call it game. Look at what happened with re3- lot of people not happy with that one.

Top Bottom