• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake Announced | PS5 & PC

sachos

If it makes you feel any better, that's not actually about the main character. There's A LOT more to it, so you aren't spoiled as bad as you think you are. Let me edit that post to at least give people a heads up. That was my fault, and I seriously apologize.
Its all good man, no need to apologize =) Tbh i already forgot i've read that spoiler until i checked my notifications today lol. Thanks for the edit anyway (y)

Last edited:
May be elitist from my part, but some little things are only in JP producers DNA.

I liked James struggling, u feel he is in pain, but in neverland. Looks like Silent Hill took a bath.

I Fear how Maria will looks...Her face and expressions are priceless in the original.

I have a feeling the movie will be more faithful to SH2 than this remake.

Last edited:
Day 2 of sitting on this - and the character models are just god awful. Horrible.
Even the way James quickly blasts into the beginning restroom is just wrong.
SH2 is too important to get shit on by this jank ass developer.

So a studio who has made only mediocre titles in its short existence is 'good enough' to remake one of the best videogames in history?
Doesn't check out. At all.

Best games in video game history? Lol

It’s a well made horror game

A remake is significantly easier than a new game

Arachnid

No he's right. It's definitely the greatest survival horror game ever made (some could argue RE1 since it created the genre, but SH2 blows it out of the water otherwise), and being the best in your genre puts you up there as one of the best period.

The story, especially, to this day hasn't been surpassed. We've had fantastic stories like TLOU and Bioshock that come close, but SH2 remains king here. The themes and characters arcs are straight up studied/dissected by professionals and taught in psychology courses, and they were ahead of their time. The ending twists is one of the most emotional gut punches I've ever seen in a video game. Translating stuff like that isn't as simple as one would think or a remake, and that leaves a lot of room for ruining original themes.

I'd agree that a remake is easier than a new game, but this is the one case where I don't think that's true (unless it's 1:1, which this definitely isn't). Thankfully, the game has been dissected ad nauseam for more than two decades now, so Bloober has no shortage of important points to focus on. They also have the Ito with them to help out, and he understands the themes better than most.

Yes. Yes, please tell us.

PLEASE tell us how the 'so bad it's good' robotic, soul-less VA in the original games of the 90s which we made fun of sounds better than a modern, experienced VA who actually has EMOTION in his voice.

Enlighten us, gamer of old.
This isn't OG Resident Evil where the voice actors had no idea what they were doing dude. It wasn't so bad it's good. It was just straight up good. SH2 had intent behind everything, and Guy Cihi was casted because he's perfect (James was also modeled after him). The only scene he wasn't happy with was Angela's stairway scene (he felt that this was the only scene he didn't have any direction/clear intent for what he was trying to get across; also he wasn't present and they recorded their lines separately unfortunately).

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Yes. Yes, please tell us.

PLEASE tell us how the 'so bad it's good' robotic, soul-less VA in the original games of the 90s-till-early-00s which we made fun of sounds better than a modern, experienced VA who actually has EMOTION in his voice.

Enlighten us, gamer of old.

Hello Tomm Hulett.

Nickolaidas

Banned
This isn't OG Resident Evil where the voice actors had no idea what they were doing dude. It wasn't so bad it's good. It was just straight up good. SH2 had intent behind everything, and Guy Cihi was was casted because he's perfect (James was also modeled after him). The only scene he wasn't happy with was Angela's stairway scene (he felt that this was the only scene he didn't have any direction/clear intent for what he was trying to get across; also he wasn't present and they recorded their lines separately unfortunately).
Yeah, you're right, dude. Top tier VA.

And don't get me started on the dude Maria finds hiding behind the door.

Last edited:

tommib

It is arguably the best horror game ever made with completely unmatched and singular atmosphere. It’s a classic in videogame history. It could easily be the best videogame ever made. No one can convince me Zelda 64 is better than Silent Hill 2 as a videogame.

Last edited:

tommib

I think all my GOAT are super pitch-dark games. D, Quake, Demon’s Souls, RE: Remake, RE4, Silent Hill 2, Metroid Prime 2, Blade Runner, Evil Within... Even the original Tomb Raider had this oppressive isolation feel to it. I’m the same with film and music though. It’s just what it is.

I think there’s an audience for dark games maybe less nowadays than before. I haven’t found anything as dark as Demon’s Souls when it came out in 2009. Maybe Outlast?
Quoting myself since the GOATs are indeed a matter of taste.

The original SH2 aged badly. I am happy this remake will fix the issues like the terrible voice acting and the horrible creepy facial animations of the ps2 original. Hopefully the dialogue ends up being alot better as that was particularly bad in the original.

Last edited:

Arachnid

JFM6u8k.png

lmao

Nickolaidas

Banned
James new model is incredibly good and lifelike. You can show me a video of the most handsome man on the planet, I'm pretty sure I can freeze the video in a particular frame which will make him look weird/creepy/ugly, etc.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Of course I'll play it but Bloober Team gives me zero hope.

The Medium is straight trash and they've never had actual combat in their games.

I hope they can pull it off but I'm not holding my breath.

tommib

Since you mentioned Outlast, try Amnesia, The Dark Decent.

I tried it back in the day, man, but it didn’t do it for me. The aesthetics leave me cold. I also didn’t like SOMA so there’s something about that team that doesn’t work on this simpleton brain.

bender

What time is it?
I tried it back in the day, man, but it didn’t do it for me. The aesthetics leave me cold. I also didn’t like SOMA so there’s something about that team that doesn’t work on this simpleton brain.

SOMA was not my bag at all. Scorn just came out. I think I hate the game but the oppressive atmosphere is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

tommib

SOMA was not my bag at all. Scorn just came out. I think I hate the game but the oppressive atmosphere is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Personally, Scorn is one of the best and most interesting games of the year and has cult-classic written all over it.

bender

What time is it?
Personally, Scorn is one of the best and most interesting games of the year and has cult-classic written all over it.

I REALLY want to love but it's super linear, the puzzles are a little brain dead and "gamey", and the combat just feels like a chore. The atmosphere is top notch though.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Terrible combat kind of works for this game, to an extent.
Trust me, I can put up with janky combat.

It's the Medium that gives me pause. Bloober was on my radar for years but just never got around to playing their games. I had tempered expectations for The Medium and I was blown away at how mediocre it is. One of the most boring/pretentious games I've ever played and the dual screen mechanic is flat out dumb. They couldn't even take advantage of the PS5 rumble, it feels like something on the N64.

I'd be more excited if the team who did Song of Horror or Tormented Souls were given the reigns to remake SH2.

If Bloober proves me wrong I will gladly eat crow.

bender

What time is it?

It's the Medium that gives me pause. Bloober was on my radar for years but just never got around to playing their games. I had tempered expectations for The Medium and I was blown away at how mediocre it is. One of the most boring/pretentious games I've ever played and the dual screen mechanic is flat out dumb. They couldn't even take advantage of the PS5 rumble, it feels like something on the N64.

I'd be more excited if the team who did Song of Horror or Tormented Souls were given the reigns to remake SH2.

Believe me, I have zero faith in Blooper. Visually, what they presented looks nice but you should be very afraid of that considering how terrible The Medium ran. I've hated all of their games, though to be fair I haven't played what many consider their best in Observer. That setting is just not my cup of tea.

I do like the idea of the over the shoulder camera change. I'll probably give Blooper Team my money for once.

tommib

Tell me about Song of Horror. Any good?

But it's probably true, from a certain interpretation/point of view.
SH2 still has a lot of cool interpretation and debate. (Like P.Head was leading James to see the truth, he's not a villian. Just a guide, that's why he killed himself in the end, James saw the truth, so his mission was done)

Intelligent subjective story it's the most hard thing to do.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Tell me about Song of Horror. Any good?
I put in a few hours last October but didn't finish it. I really enjoyed what I played though. The fixed camera angles are truly a thing of beauty. Redownloaded it the other week, been meaning to get back into it but just busy with life and all that.

No combat either in it but great atmosphere, legit tension and a lot of characters to choose from that alter puzzles and events. It's one of the most impressive indie Survival Horror games I've played so far.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Believe me, I have zero faith in Blooper. Visually, what they presented looks nice but you should be very afraid of that considering how terrible The Medium ran. I've hated all of their games, though to be fair I haven't played what many consider their best in Observer. That setting is just not my cup of tea.

I do like the idea of the over the shoulder camera change. I'll probably give Blooper Team my money for once.
Observer was added to the free games with the PS+ tier I subscribe to, downloaded it but haven't played it yet. It got a PS5 update as well.

I agree with everything you said though. I really hate to trash Bloober and I try not to be negative towards the work that people dedicate to their games but yea, The Medium was just such a shock to me at how much I disliked it, lol. I was not expecting that at all, I'm generally really forgiving and patient with games.

Last edited:
SH2 still has a lot of cool interpretation and debate. (Like P.Head was leading James to see the truth, he's not a villian. Just a guide, that's why he killed himself in the end, James saw the truth, so his mission was done)

Intelligent subjective story it's the most hard thing to do.
Also helping James from his guilty (Maria), that's why P.Head killed her several times.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Observer was added to the free games with the PS+ tier I subscribe to, downloaded it but haven't played it yet. It got a PS5 update as well.

I agree with everything you said though. I really hate to trash Bloober and I try not to be negative towards the work that people dedicate to their games but yea, The Medium was just such a shock to me at how much I disliked it, lol. I was not expecting that at all, I'm generally really forgiving and patient with games.

Blooper Team just makes me think of the path we've walked down with walking simulators since Dear Esther which I admittedly liked but that's the exception and not the rule. I think it was Everbody's Gone To The Rapture that finally broke me and made me look at other games of the ilk in a much more negative light. So many developers took the wrong lessons from this emerging genre.

Naked Lunch

Imagine laughing at calling Silent Hill 2 one of the best video games in history - in addition to brushing off horror games in the process.
It explains you being ok with this mediocre dev heading the remake - and not understanding why what they showed is so off base.
SH2 deserves better.

It is arguably the best horror game ever made with completely unmatched and singular atmosphere. It’s a classic in videogame history. It could easily be the best videogame ever made. No one can convince me Zelda 64 is better than Silent Hill 2 as a videogame.

It’s not even in my top 50 greatest games of all time

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea let me make an extra effort so you can actually tell what is wrong here .

Tp8nwt4.png

The original trilogy always have these creatures drenched with dried bloods , mutilated skins , veins popping out and looks completely otherworldly . The ones we had from the new promo materials exhibit none of these , they look more like human dressing up with budget cosplay .

Enemy on the right is suffering from an atomic wedgie.

Atomic-Wedgie-wedgies-39825128-636-393.jpg
\

I hope Bloober includes the line, "How can you sit there and eat PIZZA!?!?!"

Reading the thread since yesterday's announcement and I have noticed something. A lot of the most notable Xbox Warriors are bitching/moaning about this more than anyone else and are suddenly very anti-Team Bloober but if you look at their post histories, they were defending them like mad when The Medium was Console Exclusive to their box.

The hypocrisy is so thick with these weasels that it isn't even funny.

Top Bottom