• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake Announced | PS5 & PC

anothertech

Why are ppl talking about combat and voice acting? When considering the original lololol

I think there's some quite triggered folks complaining about something they've never played and have no intention of playing but they're board as fuck cause it's been a fucking year

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I fucking love this game!!

So happy its coming back. I will be playing it on PC..

EDMIX

I never really agree with the "lets wait until it's out to say anything" take. IMO it's good for fans to voice things that could potentially be tweaked prior to launch.
but we don't even know if that needs to be tweaked at all, for all we know we are looking at 1 NPC of many that have different looks or something. When the final game releases, what are we to say that was our input? How would we know that wasn't already part of the game though?

So I feel one needs to play the whole game to make that judgement.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why are ppl talking about combat and voice acting? When considering the original lololol

I think there's some quite triggered folks complaining about something they've never played and have no intention of playing but they're board as fuck cause it's been a fucking year
Yeah I'm not too sure what they're on about.
The voice acting seems to not make the mistake the HD Collection did (better voice acting but completely lost the obscure and oddity of the performance that was intentional)
This time it's better acted but still retains that disjointedness and confusion in their voice.
And we haven't really seen any combat really, that scene doesn't count imo.

RaduN

Whoever says that:
1. The new character model expressions are better and more appropriate compared to the original James and..
2. The new voice acting of James [and Mary] is better suited and more "emotional"..

..does not have a fucking clue about what the original James character was all about. Zero clue. Zip.

This remake is definitely for you.

I can only imagine how, all the MGS subtelty, would fly 10 km over these devs heads in a (hopefuly never to happen) similar situation 🤮

Rykan

Whoever says that:
1. The new character model expressions are better and more appropriate compared to the original James and..
2. The new voice acting of James [and Mary] is better suited and more "emotional"..

..does not have a fucking clue about what the original James character was all about. Zero clue. Zip.

I can only imagine how, all the MGS subtelty, would fly 10 km over these devs heads in a (hopefuly never to happen) similar situation 🤮
The original had mediocre voice acting.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
9FcOE04.jpg

if i was as sentimentally connected to the silent hill series as i am to, say, the metal gear solid series, i can see myself possibly getting upset over aspects of a remake. but i'm not (tho i enjoyed the original trilogy), so i guess i'm okay with this, or at least willing to still give bloober (whose stuff i haven't enjoyed) the benefit of the doubt at this point...

i'd encourage silent hill fans to share your feedback with bloober (in a non-'fuck you!' way, naturally). anyone undertaking the rebuilding of what many consider a classic game should expect no less...

Whoever says that:

The one who has no clue is you, kiddo.

Yes, the voice acting was purposefully hokey and offkey to create an air of unease - but you can still create unease without the purposeful bad voice acting, especially with the tools today. An older james actually fits the universe of this particular silent hill better than his younger counterpart. Just look at Angela and her entire story. 19 years old, yet looks like she is in her early to mid 30s. All because of her poor upbringing and history. James is a perfect person for this to also apply.

op22

I loved the room of nooses. Glad to see a whole new generation can experience the joy of finding the right one.

qL9F5k0.jpg

bender

What time is it?
Here you go

I'm not. It's a collection of non voice actors trying to sound like voice actors. The performance is on par with a typical high school play.

14B covers the the voice acting situation. SH2 features both professional voice actors and amateurs. Cihi's daughter auditioned for a role and SH2 and was how Team Silent discovered him. All said the original effort is far superior the HD collection which had many acclaimed "professional" voiced actors like Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn who are equally parts terrible and completely misunderstood the tone and direction of the original. Bonus points to Troy and Laura for being massive cunts during the PR tours leading up to the release of the collection.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Bloober could be a let down but they're being supervised and they have a great script and setting from the original to work from. They have to update it to todays technical standards. If Ito and co. are hands on I give this the benefit of the doubt.

Xeaker

Whoever says that:

Exactly. These people are lost. Maybe they should watch the Making of, there they see that everything was done on purpose.

About time for a major overhaul of one of the best games made.
This masterpiece needs to be preserved for future gamers to experience.
Day one buy.

OZ9000

Banned
Just saw the trailer.

I no nothing about Silent Hill but if that is real time, then this is probably the best looking game I have seen so far. Looks absolutely fantastic.

peronmls

Why did they give James a cry baby face? wth is wrong with people. Is this their first time using facial capture or something?

Last edited:
Just saw the trailer.

I no nothing about Silent Hill but if that is real time, then this is probably the best looking game I have seen so far. Looks absolutely fantastic.
Yes, agreed! If that's what the final game will look like it will be amongs the best looking games. Facial animation looks better than TLOU.

Filben

As someone who played SH2 for the first time last year and finished it, I was pretty disappointed after all those years of praise or critical acclaim. There was so much I disliked.

I'm interested in the remake, though, and maybe this one will be a better experience for me.

Keihart

As someone who played SH2 for the first time last year and finished it, I was pretty disappointed after all those years of praise or critical acclaim. There was so much I disliked.

I'm interested in the remake, though, and maybe this one will be a better experience for me.
did you played 1? i think one is a way better horror game, holds out better too.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Honestly,I'm really excited for this one.The atmosphere looks good and the graphics are top notch while keeping the look of the original.The only worrisome aspect here is Bloober themselves,they aren't exactly a top tier developer but they do have potential so maybe this will be their breakout game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I loved the room of nooses. Glad to see a whole new generation can experience the joy of finding the right one.

qL9F5k0.jpg
I see people keep mentioning that room but I believe that was this scene.
It looks like the prison gallows which it was raining in.
B8Zp46W.jpg

Power Pro

Well this will at least be a good opportunity to finally play this game. I never got far when it first came out. I kinda wish it was a Silent Hill 3 instead though. From the outside, that game just always visually impressed me more, and still has great animation to this day. Wish there was a modern way to actually play it that wasn't the shitty 360 "HD" version.

SCB3

I've literally just finished the HD collection version of 2 and it was fine (OG voices though) and I really enjoyed it, I can tell why its very beloved and tbh Bloober Team may be a decent choice outside of Bluepoint to do this, that Trailer looked great and you can tell they have a lot of love for the series, their games are not as bad as people seem to be making out, I mean their worst (The Medium) was average and nothign special outside of the 2 concurrent worlds gimmick but it was fine and the only real thing to note that I am a little trepidious about is the change in Camera angle to a RE4 style over the shoulder camera, but if they add new enemies and spawns and increase the combat, then I can see why (and let's be honest SH2 is really easy combat wise, enemies are pretty slow and avoidable mostly)

Power Pro

I've literally just finished the HD collection version of 2 and it was fine (OG voices though) and I really enjoyed it, I can tell why its very beloved and tbh Bloober Team may be a decent choice outside of Bluepoint to do this, that Trailer looked great and you can tell they have a lot of love for the series, their games are not as bad as people seem to be making out, I mean their worst (The Medium) was average and nothign special outside of the 2 concurrent worlds gimmick but it was fine and the only real thing to note that I am a little trepidious about is the change in Camera angle to a RE4 style over the shoulder camera, but if they add new enemies and spawns and increase the combat, then I can see why (and let's be honest SH2 is really easy combat wise, enemies are pretty slow and avoidable mostly)
Wait, The Medium was bad? darn, I kept thinking about giving it a try sometime.

SCB3

Wait, The Medium was bad? darn, I kept thinking about giving it a try sometime.
Not at all, I enjoyed it and it is quite unique, give it a shot by all means

What I was getting at is that Bloober Teams other games are much better imo Blair Witch is pretty good for example but Observer and Layers of Fear are excellent

Last edited:
Top Bottom