• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake by Bloober Team reportedly in the works

they will ruin Silent Hill won't they?
If so...

let-die-listing-thumb-ps4-12oct16-5d019.png

Fredrik

SH2 is the only game I’ve sold because I got too scared, started out by lowering the volume to make it less scary but I was still a wreck while playing it. Not for me lol

GenericUser

Silent Hill 2 doesn't need a remake. Just play the PC version (it has been modded to perfection, the true definive experience) and let the product stand on it's own. I love Silent Hill 2 and I consider it one of the defining gaming experiences of my life. For me (and I guess a couple of other people), it is a work of art. Team Silent caught lighning in a bottle with the game and it's not supposed to be remade. Nobody would dare and repaint the mona lisa.

But who am I kidding, they will remake it, just to cash in on that sweet nostalgia money.

Quantum253

I can't help but every time I read the word "bloober" I think someone insulting someone else. What is with that name?

SZips

If you had told me that Bloober was working on a Silent Hill game following Layers of Fear and Observer, I'd be pretty excited. I enjoyed those two games.

Now? After their last three releases (especially after The Medium)? I want them to stary far, far away from the Silent Hill franchise.

Keihart

Asuming that the OP image is not related to the game and just a joke but there is actually a SH2 remake on the making, color me escheptical to it being worth it.
With a game that has such a fanbase and is basically inmune to critscism, there is no way a remake would make it justice.

I bet it would sell a fair amuont of copies only having cutting edge graphics and the name tho.

I'm 100% convinced this is fake.

C'mon. "Down bad", really? That's a meme. Why are they putting memes in a horror game, you're supposed to be scared, not laugh. Do they have Twitch e-girls in bikinis twerking in this remake?

It's fake. The other one with that girl tho, is real.

Asuming that the OP image is not related to the game and just a joke but there is actually a SH2 remake on the making, color me escheptical to it being worth it.
With a game that has such a fanbase and is basically inmune to critscism, there is no way a remake would make it justice.

I bet it would sell a fair amuont of copies only having cutting edge graphics and the name tho.
Wasn't this a remake of 1?

Silent_Hill_Shattered_Memories.jpg

I enjoyed it 🤷‍♂️

Keihart

Wasn't this a remake of 1?

Silent_Hill_Shattered_Memories.jpg

I enjoyed it 🤷‍♂️
SH1 never had the critical aclaim of 2.
2 is regarded everywhere by fans and critics as perfect, people justify everything in the game as intentional, not the same situation at all i think.

Also, SH shattered memories has very little of SH1 and is barely a horror game. It's alrigh as its own thing but it has very little of SH as a franchise and even less of the first game.

ParaSeoul

I think with the right leadership they could make something good. I used to feel similar about Mercury Steam and their spotty record, but I think they're in a good spot now.
Mercury steams not bad but they're not exactly great either. From what I've heard from people who've played lords of shadows it seems leagues better than what bloober has shat out,bloober games are bad on all aspects,artistically,story wise,gameplay wise and even technically.

SH1 never had the critical aclaim of 2.
2 is regarded everywhere by fans and critics as perfect, people justify everything in the game as intentional, not the same situation at all i think.

Also, SH shattered memories has very little of SH1 and is barely a horror game. It's alrigh as its own thing but it has very little of SH as a franchise and even less of the first game.
How will you feel if they take it in a vastly different direction like Shattered Memories?

Mercury steams not bad but they're not exactly great either. From what I've heard from people who've played lords of shadows it seems leagues better than what bloober has shat out,bloober games are bad on all aspects,artistically,story wise,gameplay wise and even technically.
Lords of Shadows 1 was a well paced linear 3D Castlevania game. A solid 8. I think it disappointed purists who wanted the usual bosses and suspects to show up, but it wasn't a bad game. However with their next two entries of that franchise, including the absence of any sort of influence from Kojima or Iga's staff, you definitely felt the difference. The portable game was a gigantic mess and part 2 was only half decent. Nintendo saved them. I don't think Bloober is beyond saving. They sometimes have good ideas like Medium, but their execution is lacking.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

One of my favorite games of all time, this absolutely terrifies me, lmao. The Remaster Collection was handled SO poorly. If this comes out wonderfully, I'll be beyond happy. If it doesn't, then OOF.

I feel like that could be said about ALL of the Silent Hill related titles. It'd be horrible and hilarious if it all drops and is awful, lmao.

BryceNobody

lVWiUKd.jpg

I’m actually more optimistic if Bloober are working on a remake rather than an original title. Bloober’s creative core is bland, but from a technical/gameplay standpoint their titles are pretty solid.

They could definitely still shit the bed and make an awful game. But taking the most important aspects out of their hands and having them work from a pre-established concept might benefit them greatly.

I’m intrigued.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Not a fan of Bloober team, their game design and writing is very weak and i dont look forward for their games. And i know im going to get some backlash for this but Silent Hill 2 isn't that impressive to me, its a good horror game and nothing more imo, i dont believe its the masterpiece its said to be and i feel (take it with grain of salty) that a large part of its fanbase are pretentious people. (dont get me wrong though, i liked the game)
I do appreciate the way it conveys its themes through symbolism and oppressive atmosphere but i never found them to be something extraordinary (And i love David Lynch films, if that matters :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

Anyway, i think Silent Hill as a game has just passed its time, i think a new Silent Hill game will never satisfy old time fans, the talents that made the OG are gone and the new ones are certainly not going to cut it, because i believe its a product of its time, in the same sense that Sci-Fi cyberpunk projects like Ghost in the Shell, OG Deus Ex, Texhnolyze and Blade Runner were all products of their time.
But we wait and see, if it gets high receptions im down to buy it and give it a try, but im not expecting much, especially by Bloober team which is a mediocre dev (and maybe even worse)

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

True, but SH2 had incredible subtext. Not once in the game is it states outright that James is sexually frustrated, but you get all that from the subtext and realization that the town as he sees it, is being crafted around his psyche.

This is basically just throwing the bullet points on your face and cutting out any ambiguity and subtext.
And in a very ridiculous way too... "seks", "down bad", "I'm so horny"...

Cringe Hangover GIF

But yeah, I'm sure this is not official.

Top Bottom