• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake Will be a “Top-Grade Visual Experience” – Bloober Team

Draugoth

Gold Member
Silent-Hill-2-Remake_05-1536x864.jpg

"Visuals were always Bloober Team’s upper hand and I’m sure this will continue to be the case with the Silent Hill 2 remake," says lead producer Maciej Głomb.​

Speaking in a recent interview with GamingBolt, Silent Hill 2’s lead producer lead producer Maciej Głomb touched on that a little bit more, assuring that, much like past Bloober Team games – which have all excelled in particular where their visual and technical elements are concerned – the upcoming remake is going to be a “top-grade visual experience”. According to Głomb, the development team worked closely with veteran Silent Hill art director and monster designer Masahiro Ito throughout the process.

“It’s safe to say that visuals were always Bloober Team’s upper hand and I’m sure this will continue to be the case with the Silent Hill 2,” Głomb told GamingBolt. “We did a lot of groundwork with Ito-san at the beginning of the production to make sure that we are on the same page with our artistic vision for the game. Our 2D and 3D teams are the best ones in their fields of expertise so you can expect top-grade visual experience. We ran an early external test and it delivered positive feedback. Obviously, we still have a long way to go but I’m very optimistic going forward.”

From gameplay to story, Bloober Team games haven’t always enjoyed the best reception from players in the critics in the past for one reason or the other, though their graphics and art design have almost always been on point. That’s crucial to the Silent Hill experience, as many fans will tell you, so Bloober’s continued commitment to that aspect of the experience should come as a relief to series fans.

During the interview, Głomb also spoke to us about various other aspects of the Silent Hill 2 remake’s development, including Bloober Team’s collaboration with Konami, how the development team was influenced by Capcom’s Resident Evil 2 remake, and the possibility of the studio working on additional Silent Hill games in the future. The full interview will be going live soon, so stay tuned for that.

SaintALia

NGL, I have no faith at all in this project. Still though, the bar for good Silent Hill games has dropped significantly over the years, cobbling together something half decent shouldn't be a monumental task, especially if it's made off an already established game. They have a cheatsheet, how bad could they even screw it up.

Shit Talking Blah Blah Blah GIF by UFC

I sick of these companies yapping on about their unreleased product. Just put out the damn thing and we'll decide for ourselves.

NGL, I have no faith at all in this project. Still though, the bar for good Silent Hill games has dropped significantly over the years, cobbling together something half decent shouldn't be a monumental task, especially if it's made off an already established game. They have a cheatsheet, how bad could they even screw it up.
Easily. Konami fucked up a straight port for the collection from PS2 to the PS360. Any anything that needs artistic interpretation in the process, there's room for a lot of go wrong. Did you hear that comment about the game being adjusted for "modern audiences"? Plus good graphics doesn't automatically mean you've captured the atmosphere of the original game, see the visually unfaithful SoTC remake.

mdkirby

I actually think they’ll do a decent job. The medium looked good. They have others involved to consult with too, and the story and core gameplay is already there, gameplay will need updating to modern expectations and controls.

wipeout364

I think it might be OK but that’s all I am willing to allow given my experience playing the medium, Blair witch and observer. They were all OK experiences. They didn’t traumatize me but I wouldn’t recommend them.

I think this may not be a good move for Bloober Team. They kind of get by making these games with new IP and no real expectations, I think they may get some significant blowback if Silent hill is at their usual level of quality.

peronmls

I’ll post what I said in the previous thread. IMO Reasons to be worried:
1. Ito the 3D artist is not creating any keyframe animations, lighting or texture work like he did originally. Just "overseeing" the project.
2. Akira the music producer/sound designer is not doing any of the sound design. He is NOT doing the monster SFXs nor the environmental SFX like he originally did. Only music.
Speculation: It’s going to be 75% Bloober and 25% Silent Hill

Last edited:
I actually think they’ll do a decent job. The medium looked good. They have others involved to consult with too, and the story and core gameplay is already there, gameplay will need updating to modern expectations and controls.
I think Bloober will be fine. I'm more worried about the source material itself just not holding up all that well.

ParaSeoul

Nicest thing I can say is that some trailer shots looked really good but that probably has very little to do with bloobers actual talent

You got it backwards
We'll see. It's a very old game at this point, and they already proved they have the technical capability to make a game like that. The Medium has cinematic camera angles, decent graphics and acting, voice acting and music by Yamaoka. The combat in SH2 is next to non-existent, as is most of the gameplay.

I think the story has taken on a mythical status that can't hold up to modern scrutiny. When people play it again, they'll suddenly find it underwhelming. It will all be blamed on Bloober, but the actual source material itself just isn't flawless either.

Team Silent had a better handle on the tiny art design and tone details that Bloober will not be able to replicate. The character faces. The acting. The tiny little odd choices.

I don't get the responses here, if there's anything Bloober should and would boast about, it should be their talent with visuals. The Medium looked great. It's everything else they should be cautious about when discussed.

Drizzlehell

Banned
If by visuals you mean art style and not graphics, cool.

SH fans are the last ones to cum themselves over graphics.
Not exactly. The first 4 games had pretty baller graphics and I remember it was one of the things that were highly praised at the time. Especially the PS2 era games.

mdkirby

We'll see. It's a very old game at this point, and they already proved they have the technical capability to make a game like that. The Medium has cinematic camera angles, decent graphics and acting, voice acting and music by Yamaoka. The combat in SH2 is next to non-existent, as is most of the gameplay.

I think the story has taken on a mythical status that can't hold up to modern scrutiny. When people play it again, they'll suddenly find it underwhelming. It will all be blamed on Bloober, but the actual source material itself just isn't flawless either.

Team Silent had a better handle on the tiny art design and tone details that Bloober will not be able to replicate. The character faces. The acting. The tiny little odd choices.
I personally agree with this sentiment. We always have rose tinted glasses for old games. If someone released silent hill now with the same interactions/gameplay and general clunkiness, even as an indie game it would imo be quite poorly received. They’ll need to update the gameplay quite a bit to not be slammed by anyone under the age of 35

Hugare

I have no doubt that environmentally it will be stunning.
It's everything else In-between.

Yeah

Like James looking at the mirror

It's a completely different feel and tone. The old one has more subtle animations, new one feels exagerated.

The new model may have a higher fidelity, but it looks less realistic, imo

Cryio

Visually, their games are fine.

I finished Layers of Fear 1 and Observer System Redux (with the FSR2 mod) and they both looked stunning.

Rickyiez

I disagree. Silent Hill from Team Silent was never about combat.

Top Bottom