• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 4: EDGE's score

quick word about EDGE, they dont know everything. they have got it wrong as many times as they have got it right.

have you ever read one of their reviews?

as always, reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, its just their opinion. alot of them dont know as much about games as most of you, in fact some know nothing. and they are compromised to high heaven.

'exclusives for scores'

glancing at gamerankings is the only viable solution, if there are more than 10 reviews the average is usually a good guide.

once again: fuck EDGE.

SFA_AOK

Templar Wizard said:
quick word about EDGE, they dont know everything. they have got it wrong as many times as they have got it right.

Bullshit. They've got it wrong from time to time but nowhere near as many times as they've got it right. At times, they've been the ones who've given a game the score it deserved rather than a 7 which really means a 5.

Templar Wizard said:
once again: fuck EDGE.

And fuck yo' couch! Seriously though, Edge are mostly reliable and consistent.

dream

Having finished the game, I'd say 6/10 sounds about right. I'd probably go for a 7 because it does a lot of things really well but the fundamental game design is...well, flawed.

CVXFREAK said:
Two well-written GameFAQs reviews were posted with 5/10s for both. Not looking good.

It's basically how I expect it (i've also read some impressions from people who love it). SH games have always been very split, you either like them or you don't. Alot of SH fans love SH1 but hate SH2 and then think SH3 was simply good. Same goes for SH2 fans who don't care too much for SH1. SH3 seems to be just considered "good" by most, it seemed to try the hardest to please fans of the 2 original games. If SH4 caters more to the SH2 crowd i'll be really happy. Considering some have mentioned that it's very character driven its looking really good for us SH2 fans. :)

I'm pretty sure you're one of those that aren't too fond of SH2 but loves SH1, right CVX?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Templar Wizard said:
and they are compromised to high heaven.

'exclusives for scores'

The Turok 2 review is possibly the only questionable review I can think of that has come out of Edge. Have there been others? Generally I would think Edge is one of the last mags you'd level that accusation at. They think nothing of giving "average" or bad scores to high profile games, if they deem them to be so.

cvxfreak

SolidSnakex said:
It's basically how I expect it (i've also read some impressions from people who love it). SH games have always been very split, you either like them or you don't. Alot of SH fans love SH1 but hate SH2 and then think SH3 was simply good. Same goes for SH2 fans who don't care too much for SH1. SH3 seems to be just considered "good" by most, it seemed to try the hardest to please fans of the 2 original games. If SH4 caters more to the SH2 crowd i'll be really happy. Considering some have mentioned that it's very character driven its looking really good for us SH2 fans. :)

I'm pretty sure you're one of those that aren't too fond of SH2 but loves SH1, right CVX?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/R23786.html

:)

SFA_AOK

gofreak said:
The Turok 2 review is possibly the only questionable review I can think of that has come out of Edge. Have there been others? Generally I would think Edge is one of the last mags you'd level that accusation at. They think nothing of giving "average" or bad scores to high profile games, if they deem them to be so.

Yeah, I'd agree they dropped the ball on Turok 2 (I like the game but its not a 9 by Edge's standards). But like you say it's probably the only instance of outright dodginess - it's telling that Edge's detractors still bring it up.

That's not to say they've slipped up in other places - in rertropsect they've scored games too high/low but a. that's only to be expected once in a while and b. they'd probably admit it themselves. There've been a number of games they've said that, in retropsect, they got wrong.

I still say it's the most consistent magazine I've read in all of my... oooh, 10 years of magazine reading (has it really been that long?! :()

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, I've heard more good than bad...and quite frankly, a lot of people either don't understand Silent Hill or don't really care enough to fall into it.

They really aren't regular games and the reviews for SH4 seem on par with SH2, so it's all good. I trust that Team Silent will deliver something I truly enjoy.

SolidSnakex said:
Heh guess it was someone else. I thought I remembered you saying SH2 was really weak in comparison to SH1 because of the pacing change.

He totally said that. I remember have an argument with him regarding SH2 -vs- the other two games. I really think SH2 is by far the best in the series, but I've enjoyed all three. I think SH1 is the weakest game overall, though.

Snowball said:
6 out of 10

Snowball

P.S.
On the cover of next Edge: Tekken 5! ;)

Hardly surprising if you ask me, they were the ones who got the courage to give FFX a 6 too, for being too much of the same i guess this is the same thing.....anyway i didnt like too much the other silent hill games, specially the last one, hated the controls, it felt too clumsy, so i guess the fist one on the psx was really the best...

"they were the ones who got the courage to give FFX a 6 too, for being too much of the same"

If they gave FFX a 6 for being too much of the same then there's all the proof you need that they lack credibility.

SFA_AOK said:
Yeah, I'd agree they dropped the ball on Turok 2 (I like the game but its not a 9 by Edge's standards). But like you say it's probably the only instance of outright dodginess - it's telling that Edge's detractors still bring it up.

That's not to say they've slipped up in other places - in rertropsect they've scored games too high/low but a. that's only to be expected once in a while and b. they'd probably admit it themselves. There've been a number of games they've said that, in retropsect, they got wrong.

I still say it's the most consistent magazine I've read in all of my... oooh, 10 years of magazine reading (has it really been that long?! :()

Well to be honest i really like turok 2 but i also agree its no 9, maybe 7 or 8, but even EDGE itself asked why they gave it a 9,lol, i dont remember the issue, but its on one of the retroespective sections......

not just turok gents. EDGE are completely up their own asses when it comes to review scores. dont get me wrong, i like the magazine, their articles and features are great but their reviews are crud.

i also like how they call controverisal scores printing errors. point in question: GTA3

sfa_aok, hmmm is that Ste_EDGE spelt differently? ;)

SFA_AOK

Templar Wizard said:
not just turok gents. EDGE are completely up their own asses when it comes to review scores. dont get me wrong, i like the magazine, their articles and features are great but their reviews are crud.

Turok 2's an instance of a possible deal done behind the scenes, early code for a high score. I honestly can't think of another time that happened in Edge's history. Now, bad calls, that's another issue entirely: I'm sure the 8 for DoA volleyball in retrospect looks a little high even to Edge themselves.

Up their own asses... it's a complaint often heard from people who think they're too harsh. Yeah they take themselves seriously and yes, it can grate but they're still the best mag I've read in a while. (I'd give Games TM a go if I still had enthusiasm for games (and I've not bought Edge in a few months)).

Templar Wizard said:
i also like how they call controverisal scores printing errors. point in question: GTA3

That conspiracy theory never held much water for me. First, the review didn't read like a game that was going to get a 6, it was more of an 8 review. Secondly, they didn't cave to publisher demands of at least 90% so they got the game late. By that point I think they'd have realised that giving a 6 would have looked suspect because of feedback. And the amount of times Edge has stuck to a score despite much protesting... well isn't that one of the reasons people find it so stuck up? ;) Why for GTA and not for other games?

Templar Wizard said:
sfa_aok, hmmm is that Ste_EDGE spelt differently? ;)

Haha, if that's the guy I'm thinking of, I hate that guy! :)

pilonv1

SolidSnakex said:
"they were the ones who got the courage to give FFX a 6 too, for being too much of the same"

If they gave FFX a 6 for being too much of the same then there's all the proof you need that they lack credibility.

I believe their reviews of FFX and GT3 (someone will bring it up) were harsher because they believed they weren't truely pushing them in new directions with advanced hardware. X-2 however recieved a 7. I don't know how you can argue that without some form of fanboy goggles. And it's still better than Mario Kart (5).

Six = competent. Review scores are meaningless without text. THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG WITH A REVIEW (unless it is Driv3r, then the only true answer is shit). Every fucking month...etc

pilonv1

SFA_AOK said:
That conspiracy theory never held much water for me. First, the review didn't read like a game that was going to get a 6, it was more of an 8 review. Secondly, they didn't cave to publisher demands of at least 90% so they got the game late. By that point I think they'd have realised that giving a 6 would have looked suspect because of feedback. And the amount of times Edge has stuck to a score despite much protesting... well isn't that one of the reasons people find it so stuck up? ;) Why for GTA and not for other games?

They also had to buy their own review copy, which lead to more conspiracies. The review was very positive anyway. I wish they'd do more issues without scores so people would have to read the reviews before complaining about something they know nothing about.

pilonv1 said:
I believe their reviews of FFX and GT3 (someone will bring it up) were harsher because they believed they weren't truely pushing them in new directions with advanced hardware. X-2 however recieved a 7. I don't know how you can argue that without some form of fanboy goggles. And it's still better than Mario Kart (5).

Wasn't really fanboy goggles or anything I was just basing it on them saying that FFX wasn't anything new which would be 100% false. Even if you hated the game it's still very different from the previous ones. But if they didn't say that it was more of the same it really doesn't matter.

A 6 from Edge for an established series means if you enjoyed the others you'll enjoy this one, but it doesn't do anything particuarly new or innovative, it's essentially the same experience with a new plot, slightly enhanced graphics etc...taking into account Edge's scoring system I don't understand why you guys are whinging.

pilonv1

SolidSnakex said:
Wasn't really fanboy goggles or anything I was just basing it on them saying that FFX wasn't anything new which would be 100% false.

Not directed at you (there was a huge outcry about the score at the time from the Square fanboys). That wasn't what they said anyway.

Even if you hated the game it's still very different from the previous ones. But if they didn't say that it was more of the same it really doesn't matter.

Exactly, and 6/10 is a fine score. Only fanboys would cry about that, it's just a magazine in the longrun.

sorry guys but i have to call you up on the GTA review.
the review was NOT positive, access your old copy and you will read that they rag on about the gfx and play mechanics and others.

as for they getting the game late: no-one got the game early, no-one.
and yes they had to go buy a copy.

re-read the review, you will see. EDGE actually fucked up! :) and retracted the original score, ergo they are fallable!

anyways, a pissing contest about review scores...

cja

Snowball only seems to post Edge info when a PS2/GC game gets a "low" score or an Xbox game a particularly high 'un. :)

pilonv1

Templar Wizard said:
sorry guys but i have to call you up on the GTA review.
the review was NOT positive, access your old copy and you will read that they rag on about the gfx and play mechanics and others.

Found it. Only complaints are about the "awkward" hand held combat and not being able to make your own schemes up. "...the extra dimension creates more than a corresponding increase in flair, scale and aestethic."

Will you be retracting your comment? ;)

re-read the review, you will see. EDGE actually fucked up! :) and retracted the original score, ergo they are fallable!

Well they admitted it was a mistake :)

anyways, a pissing contest about review scores...

Indeed...

Snowball

Banned
cja said:
Snowball only seems to post Edge info when a PS2/GC game gets a "low" score or an Xbox game a particularly high 'un. :)

Eheheheh!
Trust me I'm a big Nintendo fan.
I don't own a XBOX and I use my PS2 just for Winning Eleven (and a few games).

:D
Snowball

cja

Okay, Snowball, I trust you.... just seems odd you were very quick to state MK:DDs 5/10. You told us about Ninja Gaiden's 9/10 but I can't remember you giving the hot off the press info on Zelda:FSA's 9/10. I must have missed it aye. :)

Rlan

gofreak said:

I read in the old N64 Gamer magazine [Australian N64 mag] that the version they got for reviewing was actually better than the final product. Apparently they were able to get into ANY level in 4 player, including some with a 5th CPU player, and the framerate was better. They were told it was a review copy, but the final was different to what they did.

They could be talking out of their arse though.

Top Bottom