• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Ascension Cinematic Trailer

near

Gold Member

I didnt even have to watch it to know is shit.

the only hope is SH f
youre right GIF

Nautilus

Banned
The entries that rely more on psycological horror are subtle in its meaning.

This one throws the story on your face. This doesn't feel SH at all.

ShadowNate

It didn't look completely awful to me. And it didn't feature Pyramid Head or any obvious derivative, so that's a plus.
The style resembles the Supermassive Games one, the character models oddly vary in detail -- but it's too early to judge that.

I hope it won't suck.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They forgot that a long time ago. Downpour, Book of Memories, Homecoming, Origins
Homecoming was at least the better (as far as plot) of that downward spiral lot. Would have fit in perfectly with their atmosphere/theme, just fell a hair short in execution. Modded on the PC/Steam is still worth it when they sell it on the super cheap.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hey now, 3 was the last great SH, I will give you that. The OG trilogy was it's pinnacle with 2 having the biggest impact on me. 4: The Room not being that bad either.

But the plot with a war veteran returning home suffering from PTSD in Homecoming is ripe for this universe, it just fell short.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Hey now, 3 was the last great SH, I will give you that. The OG trilogy was it's pinnacle with 2 having the biggest impact on me. 4: The Room not being that bad either.

But the plot with a war veteran returning home suffering from PTSD in Homecoming is ripe for this universe, it just fell short.

I played it this year and it was...not good...at all.

Doom85

The whole war veteran element becomes insanely laughable in retrospect.

So the developers defended the reason Alex‘s combat is far more action-oriented is due to Alex being a veteran thus he would be more adept with guns and hand weapons than any of the other SH protagonists.

This argument then falls apart entirely when the game’s twist arrives and it’s revealed Alex is NOT a veteran but rather a deluded individual who had spent time in a mental institution and had many false memories including having enlisted.

I guess mental institutions are teaching their patients how to slash, dodge, and parry in addition to the usual mental rehabilitation? Good to know…..

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The whole war veteran element becomes insanely laughable in retrospect.

So the developers defended the reason Alex‘s combat is far more action-oriented is due to Alex being a veteran thus he would be more adept with guns and hand weapons than any of the other SH protagonists.

This argument then falls apart entirely when the game’s twist arrives and it’s revealed Alex is NOT a veteran but rather a deluded individual who had spent time in a mental institution and had many false memories including having enlisted.

I guess mental institutions are teaching their patients how to slash, dodge, and parry in addition to the usual mental rehabilitation? Good to know…..
There have been documented cases where people fell into either a coma, or traumatic experience and they gained skills, languages, etc, they otherwise had no experience in prior. Rare, but has happened. And agreed, that is where the plot fell short with the twist.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I have no faith in this just kill it
Alas, the once great Silent Hill series has fallen on hard times. Where once we were treated to masterpieces of horror, now we are left with disappointment and despair

The fog has lifted, but the nightmare remains. Silent Hill, once a beacon of hope for horror fans, is now a shell of its former self

Where once we found terror and dread, now we find only boredom and frustration. Silent Hill, what have you become?

The town that once haunted our dreams now only brings us sadness. Silent Hill, we mourn your loss

vagabond-

Neo Member
Homecoming was at least the better (as far as plot) of that downward spiral lot. Would have fit in perfectly with their atmosphere/theme, just fell a hair short in execution. Modded on the PC/Steam is still worth it when they sell it on the super cheap.

Shattered Memories was fine even with shit running away mechanics (never liked personally) and 0 enemy variety. Only one worth checking out nowadays, made by western that is

Last edited:

there was a movie....i think it was from one of the Davids....Lynch, Cronenberg, Fincher. (i dont remember)...where people watch real fucked up shit for entertainment like torture and kinky shit....imagine Pyramid Head having a party in the red room....but of course this is not going to go that hard...🐱🐱

"In this series, which will unfold simultaneously across the globe, those watching can help decide the fates of Ascension's main characters. This means that as the story plays out, the audience will have a say in who survives the surely horrific story, who will be redeemed or damned by their actions, and who will suffer the almost certainly ghastly consequences. According to Genvid Entertainment, not even the developers will know the results of the story until it unfolds."

Wtf is this shit?

I see Konami still doesn't know how to handle their fucking IPs. This will be trash just from the looks of it. Where in that trailer which was made to inspire horror in the viewer? Why are the colors so saturated? This will flop. Color me surprised if actually ends up being good for once.

SJRB

Gold Member
Noticed the Bad Robot logo at the end there and this whole thing has mad "Hollywood asshole with zero understanding of videogames tries to reinvent the medium anyway" vibes.

Who is asking for this?

near

Gold Member
there was a movie....i think it was from one of the Davids....Lynch, Cronenberg, Fincher. (i dont remember)...where people watch real fucked up shit for entertainment like torture and kinky shit....imagine Pyramid Head having a party in the red room....but of course this is not going to go that hard...🐱🐱
Was that the Black Mirror interactive movie? Black Mirror: Bandersnatch by David Slade? Never watched it.

peronmls

Not surpirsed. Very generic. Not silent hill. Why the hell is there a narrator? Looks like Book of Memories. Hot garbage.

Mr Moose

Looks like an early PS4 game, but they looked better. Doesn't look anything like any Silent Hill I've played.

I'd rather play aTelltale Game or a QTE Dragon's Lair type of Silent Hill game than "play" this shit.

Last edited:
I really have a hard time seeing why anyone would have hope for the franchise after that showcase they had. I mean, it legit looks like they went and snatched up a bunch of random cheapo studios' Indie Horror titles and attached the Silent Hill name to it. Some of it just seems to have nothing to do with the franchise other than...it's...Horror? It feels like they think Silent Hill is a much more beloved and mainstream brand than it really is and I say that as one of those "loud minority" type of fans that will still shit on the HD Collection. It's not Resident Evil, not by a long shot, and I have a feeling most of these goofy looking Random Horror Game That Says Silent Hill On The Box titles they have in their lineup will sink without a trace after the initial batch of nostalgia buyers got their fill.

I get it, someone at Konami finally woke up and said hey, we have our Resident Evil here, have you seen the numbers Capcom are making? They probably got an absolutely shit budget to work with, went trawling through the bargain bins out there and we have the equivalent of a seemingly random shotgun approach to new Silent Hill titles. I even thought f looked quite alright but...as a general game. Seemingly none of it has much to do with Silent Hill besides some flimsy, vague connections like "loss" or whatever other cliche attached to the franchise by now. Reminds me of one of those classic bands that release any garbage under their moniker and still sell enough to not have to get a job.

Konami is one of the "guilty until proven innocent" developers out there for me and this whole SH revival reeks of shit to me.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
This is a great innovation bringing much excitment to the industry, just like Squex and their NFTs.

Tired Oh No GIF by One Chicago

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Silent Hill: Dead By Daylight

I'll take my gold account now for that brilliant bit of contemporary humor that I'm entirely certain no one else has used in this thread, or the internet.

Rayderism

Streaming?!? Eww! No!

So there won't be an actual "on my hardware" version? And what streaming service? Stadia is dead. PC only I assume? Consoles are SOL on this one? No single-player, just some kind of voted choices among "millions" of people? How long is an average play(watch)through. Simultaneously around the world? So EVERYONE is supposed to have the same schedule for work/school and sleep around the world, eh? Are people expected to just jump in and out of the game when it's convenient for them? A lot of unanswered questions surrounding this one, even with the so-called explanations.

I mean, I do like games like Until Dawn and The Quarry, etc. and would be fairly excited to play this, but I don't want it streaming at me, nor do I want others to influence my playthrough by making choices I didn't want. Seems like the game is going to be some kind of whack experiment. I want the GAME to be creepy, not the way the game is played being creepy.

i had to google it: it is called Videodrome

some silent hill freaky shit.

Yeah, that's David Cronenberg. I actually just revisited most of his filmography. A lot of his earlier flicks have this kind of nightmarish mixture of body horror and grimy low budget realism. If you can get over the budget thing, I think they're great and pretty fucking unsettling.

Is this a game thats like Until Dawn or The Dark Pictures?
sounds like it, except that you play it with everyone else playing it, & all the choices get decided by the majority?...

In this series, which will unfold simultaneously across the globe, those watching can help decide the fates of Ascension's main characters. This means that as the story plays out, the audience will have a say in who survives the surely horrific story, who will be redeemed or damned by their actions, and who will suffer the almost certainly ghastly consequences. According to Genvid Entertainment, not even the developers will know the results of the story until it unfolds...

so, yeah, both like & not really so much like...

Shh

This doesn't show us anything whatsoever. I've always loved anything related to Silent Hill, but this is confusing.

Top Bottom