• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill f | Reveal Trailer

Guilty_AI

Story by Ryūkishi07

scary-higurashi-no-naku-koro-ni.gif

Pilgrimzero

Not liking it. Different town and different country? Why even call it Silent Hill?

And if another country why dont we think outside the box and do like Germany or Sweden or something? A horror game set in Germany comes off far more scary than a frightened Japanese school girl.... again.

Aenima

Loved this trailer so much. Had Fatal Frame and Siren vibes. Just not super hyped yet because the development team. Hope they pull out a good game.

Last edited:

Arachnid

It gave me Fatal Frame vibes for some reason. Will have to see more to be hyped, but it looks interesting enough.
It's the setting with japanese horror. SH has always been Japanese horror (devs location), but in an American setting.

SHf is the new mainline entry right? Looks like the gods of SH spread to a new local in Japan, so they aren't confined to SH anymore (they've done this before, but usually neighboring towns; never across the world). I'm excited for this one. I love expansions to lore, and Ito also did creature design for this one. Should be good to see something original.

concept art with his signature at the bottom

I think this and Townfall look the most promising. Townfall I think is supposed to be more of an interactive narrative I think? The devs are called no-code, and apparently their interactive narrative horror games before this were pretty damn good (observation which is a space sci-fi horror where you play as a space station AI trying to solve the disappearance of your crew; stories untold which is an episodic game that's a mix of adventure game genres, including text-based adventure, first-person exploration, and puzzle solving). I'm intrigued by the trailer. That dudes monologue instilled a good amount of dread, and I love brutal endings in my horror media.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

It's the setting with japanese horror. SH has always been Japanese horror (devs location), but in an American setting.

SHf is the new mainline entry right? Looks like the gods of SH spread to a new local in Japan, so they aren't confined to SH anymore (they've done this before, but usually neighboring towns; never across the world). I'm excited for this one. I love expansions to lore, and Ito also did creature design for this one. Should be good to see something original.

I think this and Townfall look the most promising. Townfall I think is supposed to be more of an interactive narrative I think? The devs are called no-code, and apparently their interactive narrative horror games before this were pretty damn good (observation which is a space sci-fi horror where you play as a space station AI trying to solve the disappearance of your crew; stories untold which is an episodic game that's a mix of adventure game genres, including text-based adventure, first-person exploration, and puzzle solving). I'm intrigued by the trailer. That dudes monologue instilled a good amount of dread, and I love brutal endings in my horror media.
There isn't a new mainline entry. Also these are some third rate devs working on this idk what Konami is thinking.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's easy to look at the developer and go "oh this is gonna be shit" but I'm being optimistic.

The trailer was amazing, the visual aesthetic looks stunning, and Ryukishi07 being involved with the story makes me VERY excited.

Give them a chance, this is probably their first passion project after doing whatever work Capcom limited them on for Re:Verse.

Support studios deserve a chance to blossom into their own projects.
Agreed. And I see what you did there with “blossomed”

Arachnid

There isn't a new mainline entry. Also these are some third rate devs working on this idk what Konami is thinking.
Yeah, that dev team is rough, but I'm hoping they hired talent and put together a rag tag team of specialized people specifically for this. The way they hyped it and then left it for the end of the stream? Setting change? "Proud to present another brand new Silent Hill game"? Creature and concept art from Ito himself? The trailer itself is full CGI, but it looks more AAA with detail than everything else we saw in that stream. The dude they have writing it is known for making some stellar Japanese visual novel stories (focusing on mysteries, psychological and supernatural horror; sounds perfect for Silent Hill). He may not be anyone we know huge in the US, but he's shown talent. I'm not sure who kera is, but he/she had to have put up some pretty good concept art for creatures to be hired (and they've got Ito with them). Also, they're all Japanese based talent which any new mainline entry should be. I'm not opposed to them trying to make their own new team that specializes in SH.

IMO this shows more promise than any SH game we've had since 4. It could be fucking amazing (I agree there's a lot of uncertainty around it though, which is kind of exciting for me). I'm personally more hyped for this one than I am the SH2 remake.

Last edited:

FluffShake

Ryukishi07 being on board is pretty wild. Going from doing visual novels and anime to putting his own spin on a Silent Hill game is not a jump I could have foreseen.

Also I'll take an unproven dev over Bloober any day of the week.

Dr_Salt

Yeah, that dev team is rough, but I'm hoping they hired talent and put together a rag tag team of specialized people specifically for this. The way they hyped it and then left it for the end of the stream? Setting change? "Proud to present another brand new Silent Hill game"? Creature and concept art from Ito himself? The trailer itself is full CGI, but it looks more AAA with detail that everything else we saw. The dude they have writing it is known for making some stellar Japanese visual novel stories (focusing on mysteries, psychological and supernatural horror; sounds perfect for Silent Hill). He may not be anyone we know huge in the US, but he's shown talent. I'm not sure who kera is, but he/she had to have put up some pretty good concept art for creatures to be hired (and they've got Ito with them). Also, they're all Japanese based talent which any new mainline entry should be. I'm not opposed to them trying to make their own new team that specializes in SH.

IMO this shows more promise than any SH game we've had since 4. It could be fucking amazing. I'm personally more hyped for this one than I am the SH2 remake.
The trailer looked great and I bet the writing is going to be on point but the game itself is what is worrying me.

Arachnid

Ryukishi07 being on board is pretty wild. Going from doing visual novels and anime to putting his own spin on a Silent Hill game is not a jump I could have foreseen.

Also I'll take an unproven dev over Bloober any day of the week.
Same thought I had.

The trailer looked great and I bet the writing is going to be on point but the game itself is what is worrying me.
Yeah, nothing I hate more than purely CGI trailers for new games. That tells me your game isn't very far along.

Still, I come to SH for great story with solid scares, and this one is basically guaranteed to have that. We'll see how they evolve the gameplay down the line.

Arachnid

I need to get me some of Ryukishi07 works. Apparently, Umineko is the highest rated visual novel of all time. Higurashi is considered to be just as good too. SUPER intrigued by this hire. This dude has the potential to make the best SH story we've seen since 2.

laynelane

Speaking of brutal endings, did you notice her tears right before her face drops off in the Silent Hill f trailer? The whole scene is so horrific, genuinely made me uncomfortable to watch (which is a good sign for a horror game). I see what you mean about the gods spreading. It makes sense too since they would be where ever worshipers call them. Such a change could be a real breath of fresh air for the series.

Townfall has my interest too. The set-up in the trailer gives the impression we'll have an intriguing mystery to delve into. After all this time, getting so much SH news at once - it's gonna be hard waiting for the games to come out.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
who the fuck are the devs?
These guys are neither Japanese nor prominent. Treating SH like a backstreet hoe
The story is by Ryukishi07. He is probably a more qualified people to wite a horror story then whatever studio you expected to make Silent Hill. If you don't want to play Higurashi because it is a VN, you should atleast check out Bess's analysis of Higurashi

It will probably be very low budget VN style "game"
Wow people actually rejecting only because it's a VN author.
I need to get me some of Ryukishi07 works. Apparently, Umineko is the highest rated visual novel of all time. Higurashi is considered to be just as good too. SUPER intrigued by this hire. This dude has the potential to make the best SH story we've seen since 2.
Also, mind you they are long. Umineko is probably the longest script in a game.

If you want to get into When They Cry series, start with Higurashi. Only Higurashi has a horror theme.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The story is by Ryukishi07. He is probably a more qualified people to wite a horror story then whatever studio you expected to make Silent Hill. If you don't want to play Higurashi because it is a VN, you should atleast check out Bess's analysis of Higurashi

If you want to get into When They Cry series, start with Higurashi. Only Higurashi has a horror theme.

fuck outta here with that weeb trash

Pilgrimzero

What they’ve been thinking for years now. “How can we do this as cheap as possible while getting people to buy it?”

If they actually cared they’re sell the rights or license it out to a company that actually does good work.

Last edited:

Arachnid

I definitely want to get into it. I'm not dead set on horror too. I just like good stories. I'll check out both. I found them on steam. Is that a good way to access them or do you have any recommendations? I also saw that theres an anime for Higurashi on funimation (though I should probably just stick to the VNs, right?).

fuck outta here with that weeb trash
RetardGAF is that way ---------->

Last edited:

Kdad

Back in May VGC said https://www.neogaf.com/threads/smal...stories-is-reportedly-in-development.1636700/

• Silent Hill 2 Remake developed by Bloober Team
  • Smaller Silent Hill title by Annapurna Interactive (episodic short stories)
  • New mainline Silent Hill game

So why are we thinking F isn't mainline? Perhaps there is more to reveal about who is involved other than the writer and Neobard, a studio in China that has helped develop Capcom's most recent games like Resident Evil Re:Verse. The producer for the series is Motoi Okamoto, a Nintendo veteran who worked on games like Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin.

Arachnid

Back in May VGC said https://www.neogaf.com/threads/smal...stories-is-reportedly-in-development.1636700/

• Silent Hill 2 Remake developed by Bloober Team
  • Smaller Silent Hill title by Annapurna Interactive (episodic short stories)
  • New mainline Silent Hill game

So why are we thinking F isn't mainline? Perhaps there is more to reveal about who is involved other than the writer and Neobard, a studio in China that has helped develop Capcom's most recent games like Resident Evil Re:Verse. The producer for the series is Motoi Okamoto, a Nintendo veteran who worked on games like Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin.
Oh it's definitely the next mainline entry.

Super excited for it being set in Japan too. The idea of SH spreading worldwide to different locals opens up so many story telling possibilities, it's fucking insane. Good move.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The story was really never good in Silent Hill. Its about the art, music and mood.

Gojiira

This looked more interesting than the 2 remake...Something about the creepy corpse flower imagery and that tripophobia like aspect is super creepy. Really hope it ends up being good

And if another country why dont we think outside the box and do like Germany or Sweden or something? A horror game set in Germany comes off far more scary than a frightened Japanese school girl.... again.

Maybe because its a Japanese studio and because some of the best horror movies came out of Japan. If it was featured in Germany it would look visually just like any American city from previous SH games.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The dev team doesn't fill me with confidence or expectation, but whoever is in the art department nailed it. That was an AWESOME trailer. No sarcasm. I LOVE spacey, abandoned (ha) surreal settings and body horror. I could almost hear the Kotaku staff vomiting.

GenericUser

People seem to forget that team silent also were absolute nobodies before they made silent hill. In fact they were like the "black sheep" at Konami at the time.

Having unknown people work on a new silent hill game instead of "star dev xy" gives me hope that these people maybe understand silent hill and will deliver something that is worth bearing the name silent hill.

I'm excited but it also seems that the game is a couple of years away

This is the most promising of all the ones announced for me. It's the only one that looks like it's taking Silent Hill somewhere fresh. However, I don't like that fact that they're going to Japan. What made SH special was the fact it was a western story made by Japanese devs gave the game a cultural weirdness. Should have took it to Europe or S. America or something.

At this point I'm much more excited about Toyoma and Slitterhead. I have a feeling it's gonna scratch my SH itch more than any of these "official" Silent Hills. And as always, RIP Kojima's Silent Hills, I bet that game would have been full of incredible ideas.

Top Bottom