• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill f | Reveal Trailer

Arachnid

So, time to take a crack at dissecting the trailer and making some story guesses. My main guess is that we're seeing the origin of the games main antagonist. You can see a shot of her in early concept art from 2020, but I guess a lot has changed since then since the stick note motif is gone, the game no longer takes place somewhere with English as the main dialect, and it takes place a few decades into the past (sticky notes were made in the 1980s; this looks to be earlier).

Starts with a girl visiting someone's grave (I'm assuming a loved one like a parent, friend, or sibling)? The grave is already covered in the fungus/plants that overtake her at the end of the trailer. I'm assuming this is ground zero and the circumstances of this persons death are pretty unsavory. That or this person was somehow involved in the occult and it's on their grave due to something they did prior to death. Their grave has already been defiled (someone took a portion of the head clean off; that or it just eroded).

It then then cuts to the girl walking through town with a bloody pipe (dripping blood and leaving a trail, so she had literally JUST killed someone). I'm assuming it's revenge for whatever happened to the person in the grave? Anyway, the fungal infection is overtaking the town as it follows her. She seems to be it's objective (meaning it's sentient; makes sense, the town always kind of is). If this is another psychological take of the town, I'm assuming it's trying to consume her due to her own mental state. Maybe due to whomever she killed (meaning it's not black and white, and the person she killed may not totally deserve it)? The grave is ground zero, but I'd guess that her that killing someone is what set off the spread of the infection. She walks through town and we get shots of the fungus overtaking an ichimatsu doll. I'm sure that's symbolism for something but could mean a bunch of things (the most obvious of which happens to the girl at the end).

Anyway, at this point, there's a bit of a jump from her walking through town and then in the tunnel. She's had a rough go so far. Her clothes are all torn and she's sporting some new injuries. She lost her sleeve, her skirt is in tatters, and both her shoes/socks are gone. She also lost her blasphemy pipe from earlier. I'm assuming she's just been trying (and failing) to outpace the infection, and it's slowly just tearing away at her until it whittles her down enough to claim her. It injures her some more, she tries to run, and the infection overtakes the entire tunnel finally claiming her.

Then we cut to night time and she's on a small boat completely overtaken by the fungal infection. IDK if matters, but she's floating past a torii (Japanese arches usually indicative of being in or near a sacred shrine). Red torii gates are supposed to represent vital force and ward off evil spirits; IDK if it means anything here, but you know SH with its symbolism. Anyway, the girls boat at this point is saturated in the same flora that covered the grave. There are random limbs in the water. She and her boat seems to be spreading the infection to them before they even touch the boat (so she now gives off an aura of the infection).

The infection then overtakes and blossoms throughout the entire lake the same way it did the tunnel she was in. It's spread throughout her entire body at this point and she's sporting a crown of the flora. A tear goes down her face and then flora makes its way down the sides of her head, completely bisecting a frontal portion of her head off. I think it's also worth noting that the fog seems to get thicker as the flora spreads. It's present in small amounts in the beginning at the grave and the town. The tunnel she's in gets straight up saturated in the fog as it overtakes it and catches her. The lake she's in has a layer of it that gets higher and eventually goes over her head as it gets overtaken. I think the fog is generated by the flora this time around. Finally, the entire screen gets saturated by the fog and they use it to fade white and show us the new title style. Silent Hill is written in red brush strokes and we've got a weird f that I'm sure means something. I can't find much for it though. It's a letter from latin script, and that's about all I've got.

I'm not the most observant person, so I don't suppose any of you picked up on anything else?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So, time to take a crack at dissecting the trailer and making some story guesses. My main guess is that we're seeing the origin of the games main antagonist. You can see a shot of her in early concept art from 2020, but I guess a lot has changed since then since the stick note motif is gone, the game no longer takes place somewhere with English as the main dialect, and it takes place a few decades into the past (sticky notes were made in the 1980s; this looks to be earlier).

Starts with a girl visiting someone's grave (I'm assuming a loved one like a parent or sibling? The grave is already covered in the fungus/plants that overtake her at the end of the trailer. I'm assuming this is ground zero and the circumstances of this persons death are pretty unsavory. That or this person was somehow involved in the occult and it's on their grave due to something they did prior to death.

It then then cuts to the girl walking through town with a bloody pipe (dripping blood and leaving a trail, so she had literally JUST killed someone). I'm assuming it's revenge for whatever happened to the person in the grave? Anyway, at this point, the fungal infection is overtaking the town as it follows her. She seems to be it's objective (meaning it's sentient; makes sense, the town always kind of is). If this is another psychological take of the town, I'm assuming it's trying to consume her due to her own mental state. Maybe due to whomever she killed (meaning it's not black and white, and the person she killed may not totally deserve it)? The grave is ground zero, but I'd guess that her that killing someone is what set off the infection. She walks through town and we get shots of the fungus overtaking an ichimatsu doll. I'm sure that's symbolism for something but could mean a bunch of things (the most obvious of which happens to the girl at the end).

Anyway, at this point, there's a bit of a jump from her walking through town and then in the tunnel. She's had a rough go so far. Her clothes are all torn and she's sporting some new injuries. She lost her sleeve, her skirt is in tatters, and both her shoes/socks are gone. She also lost her blasphemy pipe from earlier. I'm assuming she's just been trying (and failing) to outpace the infection, and it's slowly just tearing away at her until it whittles her down enough to claim her. It injures her some more, she tries to run, and the infection overtakes the entire tunnel finally claiming her.

Then we cut to night time and she's on a small boat completely overtaken by the fungal infection. IDK if matters, but she's floating past a torii. (Japanese arches usually indicative of being in or near a sacred shrine). Ted torii gates are supposed to represent vital force and ward off evil spirits; IDK if it means anything here, but you know SH with its symbolism. Anyway, the girls boat at this point is saturated in the same flora that covered the grave. There are random limbs in the water. She and her boat seems to be spreading the infection to them before they even touch the boat (so she now gives off an aura of the infection).

The infection then overtakes and blossoms throughout the entire lake the same way it did the tunnel she was in. It's spread throughout her entire body at this point and she's sporting a crown of the flora. A tear goes down her face and then floor makes its way down the sides of her head, completely bisecting a frontal portion of her head off. I think it's also worth noting that the fog seems to get thicker as the flora spreads. It's present in small amounts in the beginning at the grave and the town. The tunnel she's in gets straight up saturated in the fog as it overtakes it and catches her. The lake she's in has a layer of it that gets higher and eventually goes over her head as it gets overtaken. Finally, the entire screen gets saturated by the fog and they use it to fade white and show us the new title style. Silent Hill is written in red brush strokes and we've got a weird f that I'm sure means something. I can't find much for it though. It's a letter from latin script, and that's about all I've got.

I'm not the most observant person, so I don't suppose any of you picked up on anything else?
Press release says it takes place in 1960s Japan. So that would probably not include sticky notes any longer.

Roni

Gold Member
Fatal Frame 2 is definitely an inspiration for them... Wonder if 'f' is a double entendre for that.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This wreaks of Kojima's "V for victory (and 5, and Venom)" stuff.

Idk. F for five? F for flora or flower? F for fungus? F for Fyramid Head? I just dk.

For for Frank Sunderland. Origin story of everyone's favorite boring guy, who does American stuff like keep umbilical cords of children he doesn't know and knocking on doors. Turns out, he's half Japanese.

mortal

Gold Member
silent-hill-f.jpg

midsommar.jpg

Arachnid

Maybe there is a time jump?
This is definitely possible, but if the new town was overtaken in the 60s, that means it actually was a thing before Silent Hill itself (not the normal town, but the supernatural town). Origins took place in the 1970s, and that showed how the town got the way it was. That means this town predates SH as we know it by about a decade. It is worth noting that the comics introduced weird things happening in the town long before this point though. We also know that it was considered a sacred place by Native Americans prior to colonization. It didn't get warped into what it is until Alessa came along with her paranormal connection and immolation events. It's assumed that a god gave Alessa her abilities.

Here's a timeline for anyone interested: https://silenthill.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline#:~:text=after visiting Helen.-,1980s,of Silent Hill take place.

I guess that same god or one like it is responsible for this new town and weird fog generating flora. Maybe whatever happened with the girl in the trailer was the same kind of blasphemy? She might be our new Alessa.

Also, worth noting that this had the code name "Sakura" during development.

"The national flower of Japan, the cherry blossom – or Sakura, represents a time of renewal and optimism. The pops of pink mark the ending of winter and signify the beginning of spring. Due to their quick blooming season, cherry blossoms also symbolize the transience of life, a major theme in Buddhism. Cherry blossoms’ magnificent but brief lifespan, falling a couple of weeks after full bloom, reminds people that similar to the delicate white-pink flowers a human’s life is also short and beautiful.

Additionally, fallen cherry blossom petals represent the souls of Japanese samurais with a noble character, who were known not to fear death, and who were killed while sacrificing their lives for the emperor.There are many more significant meanings of the cherry blossom, and the Japanese reflect on them every year during a custom called hanami. The word hanami means “flower viewing.” During a celebration that’s more than a thousand years old, people gather to eat, drink, and celebrate with a picnic-style party underneath the cherry blossoms.

The word sakura is still widely associated with musical lyrics, poems, literature, clothing, and restaurants."

Probably not significant though. They probably just look at this game as the renewal of the series and gave it a positive in house code name for their high hopes. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have that game on Vita. It has some creepy Japanese town vibes to it. That game has some good parts, especially piecing together the spirit and the stuff they do to people. Now that I think about it. It makes sense. The first spirit tries to take newborn babies from their mothers at the hospital. If I remember that correctly.

laynelane

There is something very unsettling with how brightly lit it was, beautiful colors in the floral arrangement, and then the face pealing off after the last tear of pain, exposing a rotted abyss.

The whole scene made me very uncomfortable - which is a good sign for a horror game. The tear was especially unsettling since, to me, it indicated she's definitely conscious and aware to some degree.

Arachnid

I have that game on Vita. It has some creepy Japanese town vibes to it. That game has some good parts, especially piecing together the spirit and the stuff they do to people. Now that I think about it. It makes sense. The first spirit tries to take newborn babies from their mothers at the hospital. If I remember that correctly.
Sounds fantastic. Wish I could have experienced it. You've got more background with the new SH artist than most.

laynelane

This is definitely possible, but if the new town was overtaken in the 60s, that means it actually was a thing before Silent Hill itself (not the normal town, but the supernatural town). Origins took place in the 1970s, and that showed how the town got the way it was. That means this town predates SH as we know it by about a decade. It is worth noting that the comics introduced weird things happening in the town long before this point though. We also know that it was considered a sacred place by Native Americans prior to colonization. It didn't get warped into what it is until Alessa came along with her paranormal connection and immolation events. It's assumed that a god gave Alessa her abilities.

Here's a timeline for anyone interested: https://silenthill.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline#:~:text=after visiting Helen.-,1980s,of Silent Hill take place.

I guess that same god or one like it is responsible for this new town and weird fog generating flora. Maybe whatever happened with the girl in the trailer was the same kind of blasphemy? She might be our new Alessa.

Also, worth noting that this had the code name "Sakura" during development.
[/URL]

"The national flower of Japan, the cherry blossom – or Sakura, represents a time of renewal and optimism. The pops of pink mark the ending of winter and signify the beginning of spring. Due to their quick blooming season, cherry blossoms also symbolize the transience of life, a major theme in Buddhism. Cherry blossoms’ magnificent but brief lifespan, falling a couple of weeks after full bloom, reminds people that similar to the delicate white-pink flowers a human’s life is also short and beautiful.

Additionally, fallen cherry blossom petals represent the souls of Japanese samurais with a noble character, who were known not to fear death, and who were killed while sacrificing their lives for the emperor.There are many more significant meanings of the cherry blossom, and the Japanese reflect on them every year during a custom called hanami. The word hanami means “flower viewing.” During a celebration that’s more than a thousand years old, people gather to eat, drink, and celebrate with a picnic-style party underneath the cherry blossoms.

The word sakura is still widely associated with musical lyrics, poems, literature, clothing, and restaurants."

Probably not significant though. They probably just look at this game as the renewal of the series and gave it a positive in house code name for their high hopes. Pretty cool.

For sakura, there's also the idea behind why the petals are pink - something seen in horror manga, anime, and stories. A body is buried beneath the tree and, as the tree draws blood from the body, the sakura petals turn pink.

Arachnid

For sakura, there's also the idea behind why the petals are pink - something seen in horror manga, anime, and stories. A body is buried beneath the tree and, as the tree draws blood from the body, the sakura petals turn pink.
That would explain why basically all the flora and fungus has that red/pink color. Blood? Assimilated bodies?

demonstr8

All I wanted was an original Silent Hill game developed by a Japanese studio but I didn’t get that. Oh well I guess I’ll just get over it and try f.

Sakura

Ryukishi07?
I liked Higurashi and Umineko as much as the next guy, but I don't think his more recent stuff has been that great.

kyliethicc

I definitely want to get into it. I'm not dead set on horror too. I just like good stories. I'll check out both. I found them on steam. Is that a good way to access them or do you have any recommendations? I also saw that theres an anime for Higurashi on funimation (though I should probably just stick to the VNs, right?).

RetardGAF is that way ---------->
go fuck yourself cunt

GenericUser

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I need to get me some of Ryukishi07 works. Apparently, Umineko is the highest rated visual novel of all time. Higurashi is considered to be just as good too. SUPER intrigued by this hire. This dude has the potential to make the best SH story we've seen since 2.
He's very good with character development, world building as well as setting up the atmosphere, his novels have a really good mood and sense of place. However, i'd say he also has that Kojima bad habit of convoluting things too much for their own good.
Also haven't seen anything from his recent work so i don't know if he has evolved (or devolved) in any way.

EDIT: Oh, right. Chapter 1 of Higurashi is free

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Ryukishi07 being on board is pretty wild. Going from doing visual novels and anime to putting his own spin on a Silent Hill game is not a jump I could have foreseen.

Also I'll take an unproven dev over Bloober any day of the week.

From renown in anime/manga circles to a near dead game franchise? I could def see it.

Pilgrimzero

Maybe because its a Japanese studio and because some of the best horror movies came out of Japan. If it was featured in Germany it would look visually just like any American city from previous SH games.
Sure 20 years ago. Ring, Grudge, etc. Love those films. If time isn't an issue then late 70s to late 80s (maybe early 90s) American horror is still king.

Heck I'd say S Korea has been putting out better Asian horror lately than Japan.

Arachnid

Starts with a girl visiting someone's grave (I'm assuming a loved one like a parent, friend, or sibling)? The grave is already covered in the fungus/plants that overtake her at the end of the trailer. I'm assuming this is ground zero and the circumstances of this persons death are pretty unsavory. That or this person was somehow involved in the occult and it's on their grave due to something they did prior to death. Their grave has already been defiled (someone took a portion of the head clean off; that or it just eroded).

It then then cuts to the girl walking through town with a bloody pipe (dripping blood and leaving a trail, so she had literally JUST killed someone). I'm assuming it's revenge for whatever happened to the person in the grave? Anyway, the fungal infection is overtaking the town as it follows her. She seems to be it's objective (meaning it's sentient; makes sense, the town always kind of is). If this is another psychological take of the town, I'm assuming it's trying to consume her due to her own mental state. Maybe due to whomever she killed (meaning it's not black and white, and the person she killed may not totally deserve it)? The grave is ground zero, but I'd guess that her that killing someone is what set off the spread of the infection. She walks through town and we get shots of the fungus overtaking an ichimatsu doll. I'm sure that's symbolism for something but could mean a bunch of things (the most obvious of which happens to the girl at the end).

Then we cut to night time and she's on a small boat completely overtaken by the fungal infection. IDK if matters, but she's floating past a torii (Japanese arches usually indicative of being in or near a sacred shrine). Red torii gates are supposed to represent vital force and ward off evil spirits; IDK if it means anything here, but you know SH with its symbolism. Anyway, the girls boat at this point is saturated in the same flora that covered the grave. There are random limbs in the water. She and her boat seems to be spreading the infection to them before they even touch the boat (so she now gives off an aura of the infection).

The infection then overtakes and blossoms throughout the entire lake the same way it did the tunnel she was in. It's spread throughout her entire body at this point and she's sporting a crown of the flora. A tear goes down her face and then flora makes its way down the sides of her head, completely bisecting a frontal portion of her head off. I think it's also worth noting that the fog seems to get thicker as the flora spreads. It's present in small amounts in the beginning at the grave and the town. The tunnel she's in gets straight up saturated in the fog as it overtakes it and catches her. The lake she's in has a layer of it that gets higher and eventually goes over her head as it gets overtaken. I think the fog is generated by the flora this time around. Finally, the entire screen gets saturated by the fog and they use it to fade white and show us the new title style. Silent Hill is written in red brush strokes and we've got a weird f that I'm sure means something. I can't find much for it though. It's a letter from latin script, and that's about all I've got.

I've got a couple of updates that more culturally educated people than me pointed out. That thing she's at in the beginning isn't a grave. It's a defaced Jizo statue. The purpose of a Jiso statue is to protect children, protect and guide the spirits of children who have passed away, and protect travelers.

Someone also noted that red flowers that bloom in the most abundance from the fungus are red spider lilies. These symbolize final goodbyes, abandonment, and bad luck.

SH and it's symbolism, man. It's highly likely that the spider lilies, especially, are representative of this games main theme. The defaced Jizo statue likely means she lost a child (not necessarily hers, but maybe; could be a symbol). The tear down her face before she's literally defaced (not unlike the statue) also tells me she suffered some loss. That reinforces my belief that she killed whoever she killed with the pipe out of some kind of revenge.

Another much darker take is that she's the one who defaced the Jizo statue, and that pipe is bloody because she killed a child after. That means she defaced the Jizo statue out of spite, so the child wouldn't have protection in the afterlife. Maybe it's a child that she's supposed to be taking care of (the red lilies symbolism of abandonment and final goodbyes) but she's for some reason spiteful towards? This would make her a pretty good fit for some classic SH style punishment. It also fits with her literally being defaced at the end as retribution. IDK about this one though. I'm still thinking that the floral infection started at the Jizo statue. It DOES seem to spread fast when it starts to spread, but it's not moving at the statue, which leads me to believe it's grown there over time and that likely started after the statue of protection was damaged. She likely noticed it when she came to visit the statue (people regularly visit and take care of these statues; they dress them up during the winter to keep them warm) and then took revenge against whoever did it (maybe she placed the statue to protect a love one and understands what the new floral growth means; a yokai claimed her loved one).

Also, here's a bunch of kera art. He/she is a perfect fit for SH.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/524673664780599308/1032424223907516477/ng1.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/524673664780599308/1032424224968683581/ng3.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/524673664780599308/1032424225362935868/ng4.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/524673664780599308/1032424225807540314/ng5.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/524673664780599308/1032428640216027286/kera1.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...032429425834336296/50762727_p5_master1200.jpg
https://kera03.wixsite.com/kelvet/home

Lol @ how my initial reaction to her and Ryukishi07 headlining in the trailer was this:
qWW2yqe.gif

but now they're both the most hyped parts of the most hyped SH game reveal. Unreal. Headlining them was a good choice, Konami.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TGO

Arachnid

So what happened to this🤔
It either hasn't been revealed yet or its Ascension:
Yep, I think there's another SH game in the works. Dusk Golem claims not everything was shown (and he was SPOT ON with every single leak more than half a year ago). Masahiro Ito also stated on twitter that "of the titles shown today" he only worked on Silent Hill 2. Weird wording. You don't bring back Ito to just have him work on a remake. Akira is back, and he made the soundtrack for the remake and SHfs remixed version of the main theme.

It's also worth noting though, that this leaked title was also tied to some weird SMS function. It's possible that it's the Ascension experience we saw with all the people texting.

ykzlwtzc66q91.jpg

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What you think the chances Konami will " if those games a re Successful"
Remake other Team Silent games and continue pushing new games out too.

Arachnid

What you think the chances Konami will " if those games a re Successful"
Remake other Team Silent games and continue pushing new games out too.
Agreed with chorizos answer to this. It's highly likely. It's one of the reasons I'm not too bummed about mainline entries taking place in new locals. I'll get my classic SH town fix from the remakes. Thankfully, Bloober can take a bit more artistic liberties with other entries without totally messing it up since they aren't as explicitly crafted down to the last detail like SH2 is.

Alebrije

It would be cool if they find a way to link SH f to the SH in the U.S.

This looks the oldest one so maybe the evil here found a way to travel to the U.S.

Or even we just saw the dream of someone that lives on SH...and at some point he/she does not know what is dream or reality.

Top Bottom