• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill soft-reboot in development at Sony Japan Studio (Team Silent staff involved)

Arachnid

Silent Hills with Kojima back? Bullshit. I'll believe it when I'm loading the disk into my PS4, and even then I'll be apprehensive. Also, 'We Got This Covered' is a pretty unreliable source.

"Specifically, sources close to WGTC – the same ones who said a new Scream movie is in the works, and that Capcom is remaking Resident Evil 4, both of which are now confirmed"

RE4 is not confirmed. I wish it was, but it's not.

Last edited:
Silent Hills with Kojima back? Bullshit. I'll believe it when I'm loading the disk into my PS4, and even then I'll be apprehensive. Also, 'We Got This Covered' is a pretty unreliable source.

"Specifically, sources close to WGTC – the same ones who said a new Scream movie is in the works, and that Capcom is remaking Resident Evil 4, both of which are now confirmed"

RE4 is not confirmed. I wish it was, but it's not.
Agreed.

I read this the other day on the same site and didn't believe it then.

The article states Reedus and Del Toro aren't even currently involved and it's just Kojima so it would not even be Silent Hills without the others.

MiguelItUp

I noticed that Akira Yamaoka is working on The Medium. Could he be working on too games at the same time? Or is The Medium actually the Silent Hill reboot and there has been a mixup?
I guess it all really depends on the time frame. But I'm sure he could be working on multiple projects at once, many musicians have done that in the past. Plus I'm sure he wouldn't mind the work as long as it works with his schedule. Naaaah, The Medium is definitely its own game. I'm interested in it solely because of Akira, but I am curious to see more of it in hopes that I'll care more about the game itself.

Still keeping my fingers super crossed for all of this to happen though. Ugh.

Perrott

Gold Member
I noticed that Akira Yamaoka is working on The Medium. Could he be working on too games at the same time? Or is The Medium actually the Silent Hill reboot and there has been a mixup?
Composers are no strangers to work on multiple projects at once. Also, Yamaoka is not in full charge of The Medium's soundtrack, so he's probably composing just a couple of tracks for the game.

Also, KatharsisT has confirmed that there's no connection between The Medium and the rumors about Sony's Silent Hill game (link).

Terenty

Also, KatharsisT has confirmed that there's no connection between The Medium and the rumors about Sony's Silent Hill game (link).

His constant presence in that thread on resetera seems suspicious, like he's just a usual fanboy hanging out on a videogame forum 24/7.

Why is Dusk Golem sceptical about Silent Hill? Doesn't it also seem unlikely that both Resident Evil 8 and Silent Hill could be at Sony's event?

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Why is Dusk Golem sceptical about Silent Hill? Doesn't it also seem unlikely that both Resident Evil 8 and Silent Hill could be at Sony's event?
Because, unlike with his Capcom leaks, the info he shared about the Silent Hill comes from a source that he cannot personally verify (link).
DuskGolem said:
None of this is from any source I personally can verify, but it is what I've heard [...]

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Hopefully, we will find out at either Sony or Xbox's game showcases coming up over the next couple months.

If i read the thread on ResetEra correctly, KatharsisT has another source who stated that the Silent Hill reboot is for real. This source also spoke of the DLC for Ghost Of Tsushima, and was right about that. The information was also vetted. Gives me hope.

Ugh this again.

8JWp2UE.png

Last edited:

yurinka

Was this Silent Hill game supposed to be announced this month? I assume that if it's the case, they may show it at the Gamescom event.

Geki-D

Banned
Was this Silent Hill game supposed to be announced this month? I assume that if it's the case, they may show it at the Gamescom event.
Hard to say if it was ever meant to be revealed soon or not. Seems there are credible sources that it at least exists but whether or not it was meant to be revealed within these past few months could have just been spitballing by leakers who were putting 2 & 2 together (known about game + game event = reveal of unknown game?).

Could be revealed next month, could be next year. 🤷‍♂️

PresetError

Neophyte
Are we really going to throw the entire possibility of this game existing in the garbage bin because it's not being announced when it was supposed to according to rumors?

I'm not a Silent Hill superfan but i'm almost certain this soft reboot exists and will eventually come out in 2021 or 2022.

FunkMiller

Has there been any evidence of the existence of this game other that whatever Dusk Golem has said?

Because, as recent events have shown, he’ll spread bullshit around to suit his own agenda. So, unless there’s any info from anybody else about the game, we can safely consider it to be vapourware unfortunately.

Has there been any evidence of the existence of this game other that whatever Dusk Golem has said?

Because, as recent events have shown, he’ll spread bullshit around to suit his own agenda. So, unless there’s any info from anybody else about the game, we can safely consider it to be vapourware unfortunately.

Honestly it could be like those fake PS5 rumors to get peoples hopes up.

We have to wait and see what happens. This should be easy to prove.

Hunnybun

It's not just him. There are a couple of other Era "insiders" who are adamant it's real.

There's really been nothing I know of to debunk it yet. People think it not showing up in June is big but I think the insiders always said that was a possibility. Plus we know from other reliable people like Imran Khan that Sony have lots more to show. Plus Sony Japan have at least one big game due for announcement, if not 2.

So it's definitely POSSIBLE. No idea if it's actually going to happen though.

I do think a horror game would be a good addition to the first party line up, but I can't say I've ever found Silent Hill that appealing, per se.

Perrott

Gold Member
Everyone stop it this isn't happening

Silent Hill developed by Sony's Japan Studio for PS5 is real:

• January 21st, Dusk Golem: "Konami about two years ago reached out to various developers to pitch ideas for two Silent Hill games, one a soft-reboot of the franchise, the other an episodic TellTale/Until Dawn-style game to go alongside the reboot."
  • January 21st, Rely on Horror: "We can also verify that, while we can’t discuss any details, we’ve also heard from our own independent source that a Silent Hill project is in development."
  • January 26th, Eurogamer: "While it might seem preposterous that Konami would work with Kojima again following their public falling out a few years back, anonymous sources I trust have anecdotally intimated to me that over the last year or two, the ice has thawed between them."
  • March 12th, Rely on Horror: "Our first source, who we’ve come to trust well, indicates that Keiichiro Toyama and Akira Yamaoka are also returning alongside Masahiro Ito. The trio will helm a “soft reboot” of the Silent Hill series, possibly just called Silent Hill. SIE Japan Studio [...] will be behind its development in some capacity (either in full or in part). Our source states that this title has been in the works for about a year. Our second source — which has no connection to the first — was aware of Ito’s involvement in a new Silent Hill title and informed us of that information some time ago.
    The second Silent Hill title referenced in previous rumors is still being worked out at the moment
    , but it’s looking as if it very well could be Silent Hills [...]. According to our first source, Sony is working to patch up the relationship between Kojima Productions and Konami in order to resurrect the game due to the amount of buzz and continued demand for it five years after its cancellation; our second source shared this same information with us in the past. We can now report on it with some confidence in its legitimacy.
    Source number one goes on to say that the game will even make use of the next-gen PlayStation VR headset for PlayStation 5. Allegedly, Sony has pitched the game to Kojima as a title more akin to a TellTale/Supermassive narrative-driven title, which would offer him “full creative freedom.” Our source does emphasize, however, that Silent Hills is not yet a done deal, and that for now the only game in active development is the reboot from SIE Japan Studio."
  • March 12th, Vullein: "This [referring to Rely on Horror's article] is the horror game I was talking about a while ago."
  • March 12th, Dusk Golem: "Death Stranding [...] sold well initially [...] but the sales kinda' slowed to a crawl and the game hasn't done as well as anyone involved has been hoping."
  • March 16th, GameReactor: "Three sources we talked with last autumn independently confirmed that Konami and Sony had finally finalised a deal to revive the Silent Hill franchise with two new games; a soft reboot [...] and a smaller, episodic-like game [...]."
  • March, snort_cannon: "While Death Stranding didn’t flop, Sony overestimated how big the sale numbers will be. Sony actually thought Days Gone was going to be the dissapontment and Death Stranding doing crazy numbers cause it’s a Kojima game. Sony spent quite a bit of money not only on DS, but Kojima productions as a whole and this investment while good for the future, is off to a rocky start.
    Sony wants this Silent Hill deal to work out really bad and Kojima might feel pressured to take it up again which makes sense why he doesn’t want to take it [...]. The Team Siren game is happening full force, but this is where Sony’s true interest is."
  • April 9th, KatharsisT: "The only thing I can 100% confirm is the SH reboot with Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka. It'll be announced between may and october, but definitely before PS5's launch. PS5 exclusive since it's developed internally by Japan Studio."
  • April 11th, KatharsisT: "Kojima really wants to make a VR horror game and it suits perfectly with Sony's vision but they don't want to fully fund the game after what happened with Death Stranding. They discussed with Konami to have Silent Hills but I don't think it will happen. The problem is that "someone" else made a big offer to Kojima, something that you can't really refuse. So things got more complicated after that."
  • May 29th, Hideo Kojima: "Recently a major project of mine got cancelled so I’m pretty pissed, but that’s the games industry for you."
  • May, snort_cannon: "The only way they delay the reveal is if Sony tells them to postpone it (which is possible). Problem is Sony is incredibly paranoid in the moment about the leaks and they want to do the reveal of their system and games as soon as possible, because if they don't their entire slate will leak before they get a chance to get ahead of the curve.
    There's two games in particular they need to reveal before they fully leak, Silent Hill being one of them.
    The only thing they have going for them is that people are really untrusting of that leak."
  • June 18th, snort_cannon: "There's two projects Sony really wanted to surprise people with, one of them is Silent Hill. When the leaks came out, Sony was a bit worried and thought about revealing the game sooner so they could be ahead of any big details leaking. But as the leaks don't pertain to the game itself and most people don't really believe them, they have more time, and due to the higher than expected anticipation (including Silent Hill trending multiple times on Twitter without even a concrete showing), they decided to get the game to a better level of polish and cut a better [non-CG, unlike the one originally planned for june] trailer for the reveal."
  • June 18th, Vullein: "All I know is that we are getting a new Sony horror game, and it's directed by a very well respected horror game director. I can also confirm that there are a few game reveals that were cut from the PS5 event, though I don't know any names."
  • June, snort_cannon: "It wasn’t." after I asked him if the other secret game from Sony was announced at the PS5 event.
  • August 28th, DuskGolem: "Silent Hill is still in dev, [...] a PS5 event first half of September, have a good day."
  • August 29th, snort_cannon: "SH definitely exits, all the "insiders" claiming that it doesn't are just shooting themselves in the foot by saying that. As for Dusk, I had a good chat with him and I trust him 100%, he likes to mess with people and it's your call not to believe him, but from what we talked I believe him."
  • August 30th, DuskGolem: "snort_cannon was kind and gave me a very thorough explanation of the how, who, what they knew, not to share publicly, but they highlighted internally even Sony has been VERY secretive about two projects, Silent Hill being one of them. Many in the company have only heard murmerings about it, or know a horror game is in the works but not the specifics around it."

As you can see there are several people - not only from Era, but also from reddit and gaming sites - telling the same or similar things that support what the others have said.

In summary, the game is real and should be announced within the next two weeks during the next PlayStation 5 event.

Last edited:
Silent Hill developed by Sony's Japan Studio for PS5 is real:

• January 21st, Dusk Golem: "Konami about two years ago reached out to various developers to pitch ideas for two Silent Hill games, one a soft-reboot of the franchise, the other an episodic TellTale/Until Dawn-style game to go alongside the reboot."
  • January 21st, Rely on Horror: "We can also verify that, while we can’t discuss any details, we’ve also heard from our own independent source that a Silent Hill project is in development."
  • January 26th, Eurogamer: "While it might seem preposterous that Konami would work with Kojima again following their public falling out a few years back, anonymous sources I trust have anecdotally intimated to me that over the last year or two, the ice has thawed between them."
  • March 12th, Rely on Horror: "Our first source, who we’ve come to trust well, indicates that Keiichiro Toyama and Akira Yamaoka are also returning alongside Masahiro Ito. The trio will helm a “soft reboot” of the Silent Hill series, possibly just called Silent Hill. SIE Japan Studio [...] will be behind its development in some capacity (either in full or in part). Our source states that this title has been in the works for about a year. Our second source — which has no connection to the first — was aware of Ito’s involvement in a new Silent Hill title and informed us of that information some time ago.
    The second Silent Hill title referenced in previous rumors is still being worked out at the moment
    , but it’s looking as if it very well could be Silent Hills [...]. According to our first source, Sony is working to patch up the relationship between Kojima Productions and Konami in order to resurrect the game due to the amount of buzz and continued demand for it five years after its cancellation; our second source shared this same information with us in the past. We can now report on it with some confidence in its legitimacy.
    Source number one goes on to say that the game will even make use of the next-gen PlayStation VR headset for PlayStation 5. Allegedly, Sony has pitched the game to Kojima as a title more akin to a TellTale/Supermassive narrative-driven title, which would offer him “full creative freedom.” Our source does emphasize, however, that Silent Hills is not yet a done deal, and that for now the only game in active development is the reboot from SIE Japan Studio."
  • March 12th, Vullein: "This [referring to Rely on Horror's article] is the horror game I was talking about a while ago."
  • March 12th, Dusk Golem: "Death Stranding [...] sold well initially [...] but the sales kinda' slowed to a crawl and the game hasn't done as well as anyone involved has been hoping."
  • March 16th, GameReactor: "Three sources we talked with last autumn independently confirmed that Konami and Sony had finally finalised a deal to revive the Silent Hill franchise with two new games; a soft reboot [...] and a smaller, episodic-like game [...]."
  • March, snort_cannon: "While Death Stranding didn’t flop, Sony overestimated how big the sale numbers will be. Sony actually thought Days Gone was going to be the dissapontment and Death Stranding doing crazy numbers cause it’s a Kojima game. Sony spent quite a bit of money not only on DS, but Kojima productions as a whole and this investment while good for the future, is off to a rocky start.
    Sony wants this Silent Hill deal to work out really bad and Kojima might feel pressured to take it up again which makes sense why he doesn’t want to take it [...]. The Team Siren game is happening full force, but this is where Sony’s true interest is."
  • April 9th, KatharsisT: "The only thing I can 100% confirm is the SH reboot with Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka. It'll be announced between may and october, but definitely before PS5's launch. PS5 exclusive since it's developed internally by Japan Studio."
  • April 11th, KatharsisT: "Kojima really wants to make a VR horror game and it suits perfectly with Sony's vision but they don't want to fully fund the game after what happened with Death Stranding. They discussed with Konami to have Silent Hills but I don't think it will happen. The problem is that "someone" else made a big offer to Kojima, something that you can't really refuse. So things got more complicated after that."
  • May 29th, Hideo Kojima: "Recently a major project of mine got cancelled so I’m pretty pissed, but that’s the games industry for you."
  • May, snort_cannon: "The only way they delay the reveal is if Sony tells them to postpone it (which is possible). Problem is Sony is incredibly paranoid in the moment about the leaks and they want to do the reveal of their system and games as soon as possible, because if they don't their entire slate will leak before they get a chance to get ahead of the curve.
    There's two games in particular they need to reveal before they fully leak, Silent Hill being one of them.
    The only thing they have going for them is that people are really untrusting of that leak."
  • June 18th, snort_cannon: "There's two projects Sony really wanted to surprise people with, one of them is Silent Hill. When the leaks came out, Sony was a bit worried and thought about revealing the game sooner so they could be ahead of any big details leaking. But as the leaks don't pertain to the game itself and most people don't really believe them, they have more time, and due to the higher than expected anticipation (including Silent Hill trending multiple times on Twitter without even a concrete showing), they decided to get the game to a better level of polish and cut a better [non-CG, unlike the one originally planned for june] trailer for the reveal."
  • June 18th, Vullein: "All I know is that we are getting a new Sony horror game, and it's directed by a very well respected horror game director. I can also confirm that there are a few game reveals that were cut from the PS5 event, though I don't know any names."
  • June, snort_cannon: "It wasn’t." after I asked him if the other secret game from Sony was announced at the PS5 event.
  • August 28th, DuskGolem: "Silent Hill is still in dev, [...] a PS5 event first half of September, have a good day."
  • August 29th, snort_cannon: "SH definitely exits, all the "insiders" claiming that it doesn't are just shooting themselves in the foot by saying that. As for Dusk, I had a good chat with him and I trust him 100%, he likes to mess with people and it's your call not to believe him, but from what we talked I believe him."
  • August 30th, DuskGolem: "snort_cannon was kind and gave me a very thorough explanation of the how, who, what they knew, not to share publicly, but they highlighted internally even Sony has been VERY secretive about two projects, Silent Hill being one of them. Many in the company have only heard murmerings about it, or know a horror game is in the works but not the specifics around it."

As you can see there are several people - not only from Era, but also from reddit and gaming sites - telling the same or similar things that support what the others have said.

In summary, the game is real and should be announced within the next two weeks during the next PlayStation 5 event.

Well I just hope the PS5 having broken multiplats is fake since we are talking about Dusk Golem.

Top Bottom