• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Single game? Or multiple? How do you swing?

Do you play one or multiple games?

• I bite a single game and refuse to let go until I've beaten it.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • Single game, but will drop it the second I suspect a burn-out.

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Single game, but will replace it with another one that catches my eye.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Play 1-3 games until I've beaten them. One may get more love than the rest.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I'm a total slut and play different games on the fly. No schedule. No rules.

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • You need to get laid and stop posting those stupid polls.

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters

Nickolaidas

Banned
Do you begin a new game and refuse to play anything else until you finish it? Or do you play a different one each time you play? I found that focusing on a single game helps your immersion but has the risk of burning you out, especially if we're talking about large, open-world games.

So how do you swing?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I go one game at a time, but I'm not gonna force myself through a game I don't enjoy. I'll uninstall and move on if I'm not having a great time.

reksveks

Typically 1 or 2 games, I like playing games whilst hitting 30k steps a day so I need something that works with a smaller screen. I will then play another game that's more of a big screen experience.

Ballthyrm

Depends on how much time I have in front of me and also the mood I'm In.
I usually have around 5-6 games installed on PC and the same on my consoles.

Really can go either way any day of the week.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Whenever I feel burned out from a game I'm playing, I fire up a Mega Man game. Their simplicity makes them a good palate cleanser.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I usually play two to three games at a time, one on console, one on handheld (incl. Switch).

T-Cake

I have no idea how people can play multiple games at the same time

I wish I couldn't! I've got about three on the go now and I already feel one is slipping away from me which means I might end up having to start it again from scratch.

odhiex

It always happen in case by case for me. Some games grabbed my attention longer than the others. That is mainly for the Single Player games. Sometimes it is just a dry season and got nothing interesting to play, so I kept juggling between games in my hard drive until I got one to stick to.

I normally juggle between 2-3 online/service games at one time, but can play other games too depending on what games that my friends wanted to play with me.

PaintTinJr

One at a time, normally if I've paid for them But I do wonder if that's changing

I'm currently mostly through FF7 Intergrade with VF5US as background MP, but I've still got SW Squadrons that got caught in cross-gen hardware limbo because it was buggy, so I bought Dreams while I waited and haven't finished the tutorials, after finishing the game.

My PS5 arrived, played and finished Astro's and polished off some GoT side-quests, then tried GoW on PS collection while deciding what to buy, got 25% in - and am in no rush to return to it - after getting Cold War and finishing the campaign on it.

Then I bought Morales, and bought the remaster. Platinumed the remaster first, then played Morales to completion - which felt like a slog, really didn't like the change of tone from changing Peter's face from Ps4.

Then I bought Demon Souls, and started to play, but found progressing playing in the twilight hours no fun - for the first time in a long time have benched that game - started playing FF7 remake on PS+ and then decided to buy for Intergrade update which I'm still play.

Tried Returnal at a friend's, along with R&C RA, the other day. He lent me Returnal, and although I want to play it, I won't get to it before finishing FF7 Intergrade - even if that means I end up having to buy R&C RA myself because I'm not ready to borrow that when he finishes it

GeorgPrime

Banned
For me:

there is no point in buying another game until i beat the game i am playing right now.

Anything else sounds like ADHD. I buy ag ame, play it, lose attention, buy anotherg ame, play it, lose attention, buy another game, lose attention, complain about my backlog lol

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I used to be a one-game guy, maybe I'd dip into an arcadey thing or something really short during but mostly focussed on the one game. I find that harder and harder to do these days though, I'm just not in a great place right now and various things causing me to not want to game willy nilly, I really have to be in the mood/mode for it.

I'm not too bad on buying games and not playing them, except deep deep sales, so when its like less than a £5 I'll grab something if I know I'll play it later, just to save money because otherwise I'll buy it at the price it is when I want to play it (Which will still be discounted I just mean, if its a deeeep sale I grab it to play down the line).

My backlog is mostly due to free games, gifts from others or games that I bought and then there was a technical issue or it got bad press and I want to come at later on without that negativity hanging over me (Like Death Stranding, although I'm not sure I'll be able to upgrade my PS4 copy to this new DC which will suck ass if true and I probably won't buy and just wait for a deep sale so I'm not doing a full price double dip, I've waited since end of 2019, whats another year? lol) I try not to sit on bought games because they will get swept to the wayside.

There are a few games I enjoyed but had issues with which I intend to go back to but just not now, so those are technically in progress still, namely Phantom Pain, God of War 2018 and RDR 2.

TL;DR - I was a complete whore when I was a boy, as a young man I became a good monogamous boy and slowly but surely I'm becoming a tart again in my old, old age of 34. By the time I hit 40 I may be a complete slutbag, who knows what the future holds.

Duchess

I tend the play a single game until the end, and then look to see what extras there are. If there's loads to do for getting trophies, etc. I tend to take a break and play something else, then come back to it.

I actually had to stop playing Days Gone midway through though, as it was so long. I came back to it a few months later.

DOOM (2016) I got to the end and then came back to it 12 months later(!) to do all the trophies. Including A Toe Into Madness (which I glitched my way to victory in).

Usually juggling a few between couch n' console or office/PC room.
If something is really speaking to me I'll hone in on that sucker and finish it but otherwise bounce around quite a bit. It's not ideal but that how I roll at the moment.

GametimeUK

Typically I'm a slut, but let's say I want to attempt a 50+ hour game I have to sprinkle in shorter game or two for when I need a break. Typically something really chilled and easy going.

Arun1910

Single.

1 - Cause money.
2 - Cause the games I want will probably be reduced by the time I'm done with the game I'm playing.
3 - I like to fully invest and focus at one thing at a time, just personal preference.

TheSweeper

I only play one game at a time. I prefer longer, story driven games and I just cannot get immersed in several games at the same time.

amigastar

I alternate between 2-4 games. I found out that Heroes of Might and Magic 5 complements very good with skill based games like Street Fighter and GG Strive.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Multiple games at a time. Sometimes I'm really enjoying a game but just don't want to play it.

I only want to play games that I actively want to play. If that makes sense. I'd rather allow myself to get in the proper mindset than just force myself to play it.

Though right now I'm hooked on SH: Homecoming and will probably focus on finishing that before I go back to other games I've been chipping away at.

Last edited:

Aion002

Single game that has SP and multiple online games.

I am playing right now The Evil Within 2 on the Series S, that's my SP game at the moment.

But I also daily play since their launch: Smite and Genshin Impact on the Ps4, Epic Seven on mobile and I casually play For Honor at least twice per week.

Last edited:

MikeM

I usually do 1-3 single player games at once, and have a couple multiplayer to play online.

Series X: Outriders (single player only), FF X.

PS5: Spiderman: MM (performance RT ftw).

Multiplayer: Warzone (Series X and PS5, mainly PS5 with that smooth 120fps), COD:CW (PS5).

My backlog tho is... ooof.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I stick to one good game until I finish it. If it is getting too bad I just drop it and buy another game. Sticking to one game at a time is also money saving in the long term and you avoid bloated backlog.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I play different games and multiple games across multiple systems consistently.

Right now I'm playing the following:

Single Player
Biomutant
Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts
Control
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Multiplayer
Battlefield V
Rainbow Six Siege
Chivalry 2

Mix
Demon's Souls

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I was a complete whore when I was a boy, as a young man I became a good monogamous boy and slowly but surely I'm becoming a tart again in my old, old age of 34. By the time I hit 40 I may be a complete slutbag, who knows what the future holds.
I think everyone here agrees that we will save this one for later to use it completely out of context. :messenger_winking:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
1-3 games for me with a tendency to play 1 at a time.

If no new games are coming out that interest me i tend to install some old ones and jump between more than 3.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I have gaming adhd meaning I will sometimes play a game no stop for a while then just have a break and come back months later. Or I play a game then a set time frame later I’ve played four games lol

Used to be a single game person, but gamepass and quick resume makes multiple game playing sooooo fun. So if a tough boss in DS is giving me issues I can switch to evil within and take a breather. After that game becomes a slog I can boot up hollow knight to refresh my pallet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I usually have one big "focus game", I don't like splitting my attention between several big games at once. But I'll mix it up with some simpler games.

zaanan

Banned
DOOM (2016) I got to the end and then came back to it 12 months later(!) to do all the trophies. Including A Toe Into Madness (which I glitched my way to victory in).

My sons and I took turns on this one til we got it. We fell thru the map so many times. Good times!

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Voted for 1-3 games which is the general rule for me however only time it changes is if I play a 50+ hour game like a Ass creed or Skyrim where I will just stick to playing that in full.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I feel like the 1-3 option in the poll is closest, but nothing there really describes my habits.

I usually play 50+ games per year to completion. I typically have 5-6 games going at any point in time. My schedule is kinda weird so sometimes I have time for PC games, sometimes console games, sometimes handheld. So I usually try to have something (or multiple somethings) going on multiple platforms at any given point in time so that I always have something to play. Lots of times I won't have internet access, so I can't rely on things like cloud saves to sync across multiple devices. Right now I'm playing Octopath Traveler, Dark Souls, Dark Alliance, and Tales of Berseria on various PCs. I'm playing Murder by Numbers on Switch. I'm playing Resident Evil 6 on Xbox. They're all in various stages of completion.

Fbh

I used to play a single game only.
These days it's usually 2 single player ones and maybe some multiplayer on the side. Over time I found that unless a game is truly incredible or on the short side (7-15 hours) I usually burn out if I focus too much on just one game.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I can’t stomach 4-5 games at once, especially big games like Zelda or Assassins Creed that take some real heat to get through not to mention interesting stories. I think reading 4-5 books simultaneously would be a mistake the same goes for gaming.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I usually end up taking little bites of different games but at any given time I will have probably no more than two that I am seriously trying to reach the end of, and then maybe others will be arcade-style games or stuff I am messing with less seriously

Top Bottom