• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sinister 2 - Official Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
“In the aftermath of the shocking events in Sinister, a protective mother and her 9-year-old twin sons find themselves in a rural house marked for death as the evil spirit of Buhguul continues to spread with frightening intensity.”

Written by Scott Derrickson (director of the first Sinister) and C. Robert Cargill, the sequel to Derrickson’s 2012 chiller stars Shannyn Sossamon, James Ransone, Robert and Dartanian Sloan.

Look for Buhguul to return to theaters on August 21, 2015.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/videos/3339495/sinister-2-trailer-sings-boogeyman/

border

I liked the first movie a whole lot, but this looks kind of crummy. Having a child as a main character is ill-advised, and I'm not really all that interested in seeing how Buhguul recruits kids. I'd prefer to think of him as this creepy Pied Piper figure rather than some dude who just makes kids watch 8mm movies until they want to murder people. I thought the restrained use of Buhguul was also effective in the original, but now it looks like he's going to be popping out from behind corners and interacting with actual humans.....which seems dumb. Part of what made him interesting was that he wasn't a stalker or slasher, but someone who manipulated and mesmerized kids into doing his evil bidding.

The use of that dumb-old timey music seems cribbed from Insidious. Are they at least going to have some creepy psychadelia from Boards of Canada?

Not sure of what to think about this one, but I'll give it a shot either in theatres or at home. I really liked Sinister.

Cramoss

Those home videos of the first one really creeped me out, but the rest was average at best.

Not really feeling this one, too.

Sinister was pretty good up until the bagel stuff and other half baked twists started popping up. The home movie aspect was by far the most sinister thing about the film, and the climax of the movie was pretty much the antithesis of what made them so scary.

Carcetti

The conclusion to the first one was so painfully obvious and telegraphed that it kinda ruined the rest of the movie as well. First third was great but I expect the mystery is gone already.

Ay-yi-yi. Freakin' Bagel. I laughed at some of those jump scares in the trailer. I really hope Bagel gets up to his old tricks again and pops into the frame from off-screen a few times. That is, like, his M.O.

What I said about the first movie:

"Ok. I get it. He looks like Michael Jackson and he likes kids. Very funny."

It seems this sight gag is worthy of a sequel.

Ay-yi-yi. Freakin' Bagel. I laughed at some of those jump scares in the trailer. I really hope Bagel gets up to his old tricks again and pops into the frame from off-screen a few times. That is, like, his M.O.

What I said about the first movie:

"Ok. I get it. He looks like Michael Jackson and he likes kids. Very funny."

It seems this sight gag is worthy of a sequel.
To me, Baghuul looks like some fuckin "horror rock"/goth/emo band's lead singer. Design-wise, he looks like whom ever came up with it designed it to look "cool"(or, "KEWL") rather than creepy or scary. In all honesty, it's like the type of monster an angsty teenage artist would come up while saying, "Yeah, I'm so fuckin tormented. This monster gets me! It looks the way I feel!!".

Ghost children in the first movie weren't scary. You can make ghost children creepy(Insidious did that pretty good), but the whole "shhhhh" gesturing kids was just stupid. Again, it looked like a sorta "in joke" in trying to establish a horror meme(with Baghuul), kinda like those horrible Jeff the Killer fantards and the phrase "Go to sleep!". Urgh.

There was only one good part of the first Sinister(which was a REALLY good part), but that couldn't save the movie, IMO. I liked Insidious 2 more than it, and that says something.

zeemumu

Some of the murders that the kids were able to pull off seem unlikely. Like the one in the trailer. How the hell did that kid manage to hang every member of his family upside down? Does Baghuul actively help them? Because I thought that he just watched.

First one didn't do anything for me, I feel like it's really difficult to do good supernatural horror which is why we've got such a short list of truly great ones. I do love haunting/poltergeist/curse tropes, I just didn't think Sinister did it particularly well. This would make for a fun VOD rental/evening though.

loved the audio and the way they showed the demon in the first one on those old film reels. idk if a kid centered sequel is worth my time though, i cant stand kids in film.

Kevin

Why is almost every single US horror film about demon spirits in a house, person or object? Like 99% of US horror films these days.

Are there no other ideas anymore?

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Revealing the methodology of the demon doesn't seem too interesting and horror sequels are usually bad, so I'll wait for reviews.

zeemumu

Revealing the methodology of the demon doesn't seem too interesting and horror sequels are usually bad, so I'll wait for reviews.

They revealed the methodology in the first film. This is just the rest of the world catching up since only two people knew it in the first one, and one of them is dead.

KissVibes

Banned
They seem to spoil the film after the title card.

The mother, cop, and other son are made up as scarecrows and burned to death as the boy films. It wasn't a scream, but a laugh.

psylah

i1XDA5iUICRt3.gif

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
They revealed the methodology in the first film. This is just the rest of the world catching up since only two people knew it in the first one, and one of them is dead.

I meant that it seems like they're going to have a similar story to the first movie, but from the kid's point of view (which means they are going to showing the demon more).

Deus Ex fell through so they need a new source of money. It's a shame too, Cargill really got the mythology behind the series and he loved Human Revolution.

Chris is a great writer so I think it could be really good. He was trying to get the rights to Final Destination to make a new movie that I think could have been cool but, studios.

Should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom