• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Site Update - Thread Tags

Trimesh

Banned
Would it be possible to implement negative filtering on these? I.E. an option that allows a user to say "don't show me any threads that are tagged with <x>"?

I've tagged Media Create and NPD threads going back to 2016

3ZXBeK7.png
How do I get the blue coloring on tags?

bitbydeath

This is awesome, thanks to the staff for helping improve the usability of Gaf. Although, I have one suggestion.

I think it would look much better if the tags were placed after the thread title. It's a bit much on the eyes when multiple threads have multiple tags stacked in front.
Would lead to less visual clutter and disorientation, at least imo.
luEsEPr.png

Or alternatively:
g439nR8.png

i like this idea or even include it on the row below next to the page counter.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I think it would look much better if the tags were placed after the thread title. It's a bit much on the eyes when multiple threads have multiple tags stacked in front.

Yes that is perfect. Not reading a left justified list of thread titles is too clumsy and the tags really should be over on the right somewhere.

Xenon

I like the idea of tags. But once you start doing multiple at once it gets to be a bit much when you're looking through the Forum. But it's something I'll probably just get used to when I see it more.

My suggestion would be to use icons without the solid fill background. Making it more subconscious without actual reading. Maybe have a drop down at the top with an ability to pick and choose individual categories or leave the default which is of course select all. This would also act as a key so people can recognize what the symbol means since the actual definition will be next to the icon and Box to check.

My shitty examples

CQxciMJ.png

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Maybe under the general heading add 'Business' also?

This, for example, got categorised as 'Drama' but as strange headache strange headache points out in the comments its a bit more serious than that?

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I love the idea of tags, but strongly dislike how they take away too much attention from the actual thread's title and make the forum's main pages harder to read.
This is especially because:
  1. (in the dark theme, at least) the orange color is significantly more eye-catching than the blue text, making it distracting;
  2. the option for multiple tags, plus their varying text size, takes away the perfectly aligned symmetry that thread titles used to be listed as, placing them all over the place.
I think Somnium's suggestions are cleaner, more profissional, easier to the eyes and easier to navigate, and should be strongly considered.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I love the idea of tags, but strongly dislike how they take away too much attention from the actual thread's title and make the forum's main pages harder to read.
This is especially because (in the dark theme, at least):
  1. the orange color is significantly more eye-catching than the blue text, making it distracting;
  2. the option for multiple tags, plus their varying text size, takes away the perfectly aligned symmetry that thread titles used to be listed as, placing them all over the place.
I think Somnium's suggestions are cleaner, more profissional, easier to the eyes and easier to navigate, and should be strongly considered.

Mockup #1 is under consideration. We tested #2 and it didn't look good across desktop/mobile.

Fuz

Banned
Yeah I'm not a fan of how it clutters things up a bit, the functionality for filtering will probably be useful but I wish it wasn't prefacing every thread title in the list, or rather, most of them. The non uniform width causes you to have to jump your eye around a bit more.
Precisely. The design is kinda all over the place now, I liked it better when it was cleaner.
Is it possible to implement an option to disable tags?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
No that is change!! I don’t like change make it stay the same or not. Who cares I don’t.
Though on my mobile it gives the tag a weird old school table boarder type look.
ebfcqJW.jpg

Wait a minute : Area 51 raid and now tagged threads.. oh this is Alien technology... the conspiracy deepens

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
During this year's E3 we added a temporary new feature to the site that let users select a thread tag to help others find relevant info quickly. We received some great community feedback, and we've been working hard to bring this feature to NeoGAF for everyday use.

Today we're excited to announce that Thread Tags are now available. We've updated and improved the implementation, and users are now able to add up to three thread tags per thread. We think this will help NeoGAF users find relevant info more quickly.

Thread Tags are simple to use. Just drop down the "Tags..." box (above the thread title) when creating a thread. From this box you can select the tags you'd like to apply, or start typing the first few letters of the tag you'd like to use to filter the list further.

ewiKMG4.png

As you select individual tags to apply to your thread, they will show up in the tag box and will be greyed out in the list

WsDygww.png

If you want to remove a thread tag (before the thread is posted) you can click on the X next to it.

Now that your newly created thread has one or more tags, users will be able to filter the thread list to just see all the threads with that tag. For example, you could click on the |OT| tag or select it from the filtering options

P0qzezv.png

And select "Filter", which will give you a list that looks like this:

Ctmys93.png

Please remember the following when using the Thread Tags feature:
  • You can select up to three tags per thread.
  • Different tags are available on different sub-forums.
  • Thread tags become part of the thread title. Therefore, users cannot change these tags after the thread has been posted.
  • A moderator can change or assign tags as is appropriate.

We hope you enjoy the Thread Tags feature. As always, your feedback is welcome!

Great addition by the forum :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I would also like to give 1 or 2 extra suggestions, if I can.

You could add:

- the "Events" category: for all events such as Nintendo Direct, State of Play, Xbox, Stadia, etc.

- you could differentiate the colors, between the "General" category (putting them in Black) [that turn white with the black theme], and "Gaming" leaving them in orange.
It would be useful to help distinguish the 2 categories.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Is adding a tag a desktop thing only at the moment? Wanted to add one to my new ot thread this morning and didn’t seem an option. Maybe I just skimmed over it.

Breakage

In Modern Dark the "Tags Box" above the thread title appears to be invisible. Just looks like black space to me. But you click it and it works fine.
Getting a similar problem, too. The tag box is around the tag is empty / colourless (I presume it's supposed to be filled with NeoGAF's signature orange).
But for me it stays like that even when I click on the thread. I'm using the Classic Dark Theme w/ Chrome on Android.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
This is awesome, thanks to the staff for helping improve the usability of Gaf. Although, I have one suggestion.

luEsEPr.png

Or alternatively:
g439nR8.png

Absolutely agree with this. The second visual example here looks great.

Nice new feature BTW.

Exentryk

Is there a way to hide the tags?

luEsEPr.png

Or alternatively:
g439nR8.png
I'd prefer to turn them off completely, but I guess that 2nd option could be a decent compromise.

Reactions: Fuz

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Maybe under the general heading add 'Business' also?

This, for example, got categorised as 'Drama' but as strange headache strange headache points out in the comments its a bit more serious than that?

Added Business tag.

Great addition by the forum :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I would also like to give 1 or 2 extra suggestions, if I can.

You could add:

- the "Events" category: for all events such as Nintendo Direct, State of Play, Xbox, Stadia, etc.

- you could differentiate the colors, between the "General" category (putting them in Black) [that turn white with the black theme], and "Gaming" leaving them in orange.
It would be useful to help distinguish the 2 categories.

Added Event tag.

Coflash

If I might be so bold to make a suggestion as a new member... wouldn't it make more sense to put them somewhere that doesn't affect how you scan titles down the page? For example, we previously read straight down to scan through topic names, now it's indented randomly:

QgnbLkg.png

And if I may be bolder... if they were slightly knocked back they'd be less in your face:

JF7I4YZ.png

TBiddy

If I might be so bold to make a suggestion as a new member... wouldn't it make more sense to put them somewhere that doesn't affect how you scan titles down the page? For example, we previously read straight down to scan through topic names, now it's indented randomly:

And if I may be bolder... if they were slightly knocked back they'd be less in your face:

Gonna have to agree with this. The tags look... odd.. in the dark theme (black background, white border and blue text?) and mostly just disturbs my reading of the thread titles. Moving them to the end of the line would be preferrable.

eot

Banned

luEsEPr.png

Or alternatively:
g439nR8.png
This or the ability to hide them would be great. It seems like a useful feature when searching for stuff, but when just browsing I don't need to know the tags.

janicetr

Neo Member
Can I turn this feature off somehow? Tags break the left alignment of the topic titles and it's makes reading the page difficult.

Coflash

Can I turn this feature off somehow? Tags break the left alignment of the topic titles and it's makes reading the page difficult.

You could probably do it simply with an extension

Download 'User Javascript and CSS'

Open the extension while on the forum and in the CSS area, paste:

CSS:
.structItem-title .labelLink,
.structItem-title .labelLink + .label-append,
a.username + .fa-clock-o {
    display: none !important;
}

Then click save, viola

Last edited:

Coflash

Or to put them at the end of titles like this:

SyiupNo.png

Use this CSS instead:

CSS:
.structItem-title {
    display: flex;
}

.structItem-title .labelLink {
    order: 3;
    margin-left: 5px;
    margin-top: -2px;
}
}

Last edited:

janicetr

Neo Member
CSS:
.structItem-title .labelLink,
.structItem-title .labelLink + .label-append,
}
Thanks, I have managed to do this with userContent.css on Firefox without any extensions.

greyshark

Can you change the font color for the 'Tag ...' entry in the Tags box on Dark Mode? It looked invisible to me when trying to add a tag on a thread title.

The forum looks busy as hell with all these tags. Personally am all for QoL enhancements in terms of posting and search functionalities but not at the risk of a clean and uniformed look which this place should maintain.

Reactions: Fuz
Top Bottom