• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skate 4 Release Date Will Be "Soon" According to EA CEO

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a recent earnings call, EA CEO Andrew Wilson brought up Skate 4 as a title that will lean heavily on UGC (user-generated content). Wilson said that the latest game in the Skate series, at its core, will rely on " the ability to create your own content and put it into that ecosystem". He also then happened to passively mention that Skate 4 will also be launching at some point in the near future, but declined to offer up any further specifics about when it may arrive.

"Again, it's been at the very center of The Sims for a long time," Wilson said of UGC. "It's at the very center of mode like FIFA Ultimate Team and Madden Ultimate Team, to the very center of the design of Skate, which we'll be launching soon."

D3SCHA1N

That studio is still heavily staffing up with a ton of open positions. I'd be surprised if it's out within a year.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Tttthhhhhhooooooooooooon
5THc0Rq.gif

EDMIX

That studio is still heavily staffing up with a ton of open positions. I'd be surprised if it's out within a year.

I mean, would you really though? This is EA we are talking about, any other publisher and they'd just have a new trailer for us, sneak peak etc if they are still staffing up, but if this is EA telling us the game is ahead of schedule lol Don't be shocked if that release date is soon and they are still hiring cause its a final push and they want that date regardless of how early it might be to come out. Any other publisher I'd agree with you, but....EA has a history of this lol

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Lmao no

They announced it 19 months ago and had done zero real work on it at the time. It's not coming out this year. If it comes out NEXT year it'll probably be unfinished and spotty.

CamHostage

I realize this is an old post I'm responding to so the info may be out of date, but...

Looking at how Skate 4 is said to be heavily driven by UGC and acquirable content, it may be that EA will take a base-game, almost F2P/Early Access approach with the new Skate and release it as soon as they an acceptable level of mechanics and one good map, then build and build and build upon it.

This would be a different Skate from what people would be expecting, but the concept of a polished boxed product (which would lead into better-polished sequels with new content) are becoming more and more a thing of the past, and it might be that EA was quick to tell the public about a new Skate without the typical trailer/release date cycle is because it won't be a typical Skate product.

(For better or worse, depending on how that turns out if true...)

Last edited:
Do I have faith of it being a good game? Not really. It is EA afterall and a long ass time since the last game.

I miss the days when they’d announce these games six months before release.

If it comes out NEXT year it'll probably be unfinished and spotty.
it may be that EA will take a base-game, almost F2P/Early Access approach with the new Skate and release it as soon as they an acceptable level of mechanics and one good map, then build and build and build upon it.

This would be a different Skate from what people would be expecting, but the concept of a polished boxed product (which would lead into better-polished sequels with new content) are becoming more and more a thing of the past, and it might be that EA was quick to tell the public about a new Skate without the typical trailer/release date cycle is because it won't be a typical Skate product.

30a35268-7bc2-41a0-8b89-678718ad823e_text.gif

Top Bottom