• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skies of Arcadia, where’s the remaster/remake/sequel?

deathsaber

Nah, its fine. yeah, its an old random encounter turn based battle game. But just give us an HD/4k touch up with a speed boost button (like the ps1 Final Fantasy reissues got), and it would be perfect for people to check out again in 2022.

And if interest in this, lead to a new project, that would be amazing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Game certainly isn't perfect but it was released in 2001 and set the bar for a lot of things in ambitious 3D JRPGs. It had a huge world that you could really explore 360° with tons of things to find. The amount of full 3D content, backgrounds, enemies, cut-scenes, animations etc... it had was insane. Every single NPC has its little animation when you talk to him.

Ship battles are slow and could be improved but they were still a nice addition, although not as good as the battle system in Panzer Dragoon Saga (one of the very best).

Normal battles also tend to have you use the same strategy over and over again, which is to launch your best special attack that does area damage to take out or weaken enemies, or use Cutlass attack to finish a single enemy. And bosses are "everyone defends, buff Vyse, use his special attacks".

There is room to make things a bit more engaging, less battles and more interesting strategies. However the world, the exploration etc... is timeless. This is a game that has SEGA written all over it.

Gamecube game makes loadings and transitions much faster.
But emulating the Dreamcast version you can press space bar (or whatever you map it to on gamepad) to fast forward through any sequence you like so it's like a modern JRPG remaster with turbo functions. Although the actual fast loading option in Flycast might cause issues, I noticed that at least in the intro it makes the visuals stop where Fina's little pet thing appears, whatever its name is, when it shows off the various characters so I disabled that just for this game (and also Rez which displays another issue) just in case. Fast forwarding the emulation also speeds up loading with no issues.

Granted you lose the Pinta's quest stuff (unless you also get some VMU emu and save sharing can occur, lol, Idk, may be possible) and the extras in Legends like that mini game to feed Fina's pet thing but retain the audio quality and lack of other minor issues I read about (but forget what) in that.

Last edited:

Zuo

This is one game that people have hardcore nostalgia for. The game has not aged well.
I always disliked random encounters and turn-based combat and there were always games that tried to avoid this, so not even sure if I would necessarily chalk it up to aging. It's just deliberately meh game design

Brigandier

Played it all the way through on my dcdigital DC just over a year ago and it looked really nice, absolutely fucking loved it, game has charm and great music but mannnnn those random battles did get on my nerves it basically ruins the game for many players.

The ship battles can drag on aswell so it would definitely need more than just increasing the resolution like some have mentioned.

Top Bottom