• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Skill Up] The Next Game From Halo Creator Isn't Looking Great (Disintegration Beta Impressions)

I was notified a beta play test was going on when I signed into Steam this morning but watched a video of the game and decided to skip it.

I’ll check it out on sale down the road for the single player content. I’m giving up on competitive PvP modes. Overwatch broke my spirit.

(I realize this is nothing like Overwatch, but still)

Last edited:
I also looked at the videos and decided against when trying the beta. Just looked like frustration ready to happen. I expect teammates not giving orders to their squad and overall not playing objectives correctly. On top of that the gameplay looked stale.

This idea, concept, mechanic, or whatever just doesn't seem compelling at all...A shame as I really was rooting for them.

I also looked at the videos and decided against when trying the beta. Just looked like frustration ready to happen. I expect teammates not giving orders to their squad and overall not playing objectives correctly. On top of that the gameplay looked stale.

This idea, concept, mechanic, or whatever just doesn't seem compelling at all...A shame as I really was rooting for them.

almost feels like another Lawbreakers waiting to happen

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Some of his points seem valid (like one class that needs precision aiming as the class shoots bow and arrow kind of shit, while the rest are auto-fire bullet spamming) , but some don't.

His point of the mech suit gameplay being slow. That's the point. The maps don't seem that big, and having these air ship things zooming around the maps fast would be weird.

He already complains about it taking too long to kill stuff with constant reloading. Just imagine how hard it would be to kill them if they moved faster.

He also complains these mechs are hovering above the ground instead of being on foot. Again, that's the point. You are more of an overseer commanding troops, not a ground to ground foot soldier. I guess they could have made your character do either role, but they didn't. Oh well.

I have a feeling, he stunk at the game, so he didn't like it.

oagboghi2

Some of his points seem valid (like one class that needs precision aiming as the class shoots bow and arrow kind of shit, while the rest are auto-fire bullet spamming) , but some don't.

His point of the mech suit gameplay being slow. That's the point. The maps don't seem that big, and having these air ship things zooming around the maps fast would be weird.

He already complains about it taking too long to kill stuff with constant reloading. Just imagine how hard it would be to kill them if they moved faster.

He also complains these mechs are hovering above the ground instead of being on foot. Again, that's the point. You are more of an overseer commanding troops, not a ground to ground foot soldier. I guess they could have made your character do either role, but they didn't. Oh well.

I have a feeling, he stunk at the game, so he didn't like it.
"That's the point" is not a good argument for it's mechanics. If they feel slow and sluggish, thats a problem.

And you don't have to be great at a game to be able to criticize it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
"That's the point" is not a good argument for it's mechanics. If they feel slow and sluggish, thats a problem.

And you don't have to be great at a game to be able to criticize it.
But that's the game mechanic the game is striving for. One part shooter, one part overseer strategy, where you get an elevated viewpoint.

As for speed, they seem to have purposely made the mech roughly the same speed as the foot soldier grunts so the air ships aren't zooming around at top speed making the game unbalanced as a fast moving human controlled air ship could literally kill all enemy grunts before friendly grunts catch up.

What the guy in the video wants is something more like Titanfall where you are on foot, fast, and can kill grunts fast by yourself.

I'm not saying the game is automatically fun. But that's the gameplay they are going for.

Last edited:
Looks terrible but to be frank besides marketing point, was there ever a new studio that was made from ex employees of a huge game franchise, that actually made something even better on their own? I dont think that they dont have talent but it just goes to show that you need that massive army to build that AAA game. After COD, Titanfall 1 was meh...didnt even look that great. Titanfall 2 was an improvement but died out quickly. I really cant think of any franchise creator that left their huge came and made a new studio and ended up making another successful game. Maybe im wrong.

Phase

Ah man I was excited for this when I first heard about it. This isn't what I was expecting. Another swing and miss for arena fps fans "lollipop_disappointed:

Pretty much only leaves Diabotical at the moment.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks terrible but to be frank besides marketing point, was there ever a new studio that was made from ex employees of a huge game franchise, that actually made something even better on their own? I dont think that they dont have talent but it just goes to show that you need that massive army to build that AAA game. After COD, Titanfall 1 was meh...didnt even look that great. Titanfall 2 was an improvement but died out quickly. I really cant think of any franchise creator that left their huge came and made a new studio and ended up making another successful game. Maybe im wrong.
I'm sure there's examples of devs branching out on their own making killer games, but I'm confident there's more devs going indie that failed. It's easier to make a top end AAA game when you got big budgets approved by finance, and hyped gamers built by marketing teams.

Never even heard of this game or studio until a few weeks ago.

Zannegan

You've definitely got a point (something I learned with Yooka-Laylee), but to answer your question, Bloodstained was pretty darn good.

FeldMonster

Funny you should bring up COD. First off, I strongly disagree with you regarding TitanFall compared to COD. I personally think that TitanFall is a huge improvement of Call of Duty. I don't care for pilot combat at all, but TItan combat is amazing. Regardless, COD itself was made by the ex-Medal of Honor developers... So there is one example for you.

Regarding Disintegration, I really wanted to like it, and for V1 Interactive to succeed, but after going through the tutorial, the controls alone annoyed me enough to turn it off. I am still interested in the single player campaign, but the gameplay just isn't fun. The movement is somehow really slow and also severely inaccurate. I read elsewhere, "like trying to run on ice", and I tend to agree. By the time your aim starts to move, you have too much momentum and the cursor swings past your target. I had a tough time getting the commanded unit to activate the console, no matter how many times I targeted it. The grenade mechanic of up on the D-pad + RB kept throwing me off as well. RB is for the unit commands and RT is to shoot, so it should have been Up on the D-Pad + RT.

Too bad, because sci-fi FPS make up 95% of my gaming time and I am always looking forward to a new one.

I did really like how this Skill-Up guy mentioned positives about the team, the company, and their hard work at the beginning of the video. He wasn't trashing their efforts or being rude, simply stating that what they came up with didn't achieve a fun result.

SleepDoctor

Banned
It looked like shit in the announcement trailer. No surprise.

Just because ap person was on a dev team for a great game, it does not automatically make them good developers as we can see here lol.

Top Bottom