• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skull And Bones Has A Secret “Improved Version” Yet To Be Seen

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During a recent financial call at Ubisoft, the publisher revealed that its troubled pirate game Skull and Bones has a "very strong improved version" which has yet to be seen by the public.

Although no media outlets have had the chance to go hands-on with Skull and Bones yet, there have been numerous playtests going on behind the scenes. Should rumors be believed, those playtests haven't been received very well. However, as reported by PCGamer, a Q&A section during Ubisoft's recent financial call addressed these concerns.

When asked about the projected sales of Skull and Bones, the investor questioning Ubisoft made an additional comment saying, "I'm asking because I've seen the reviews and they don't look particularly strong." One can only assume that the supposed "reviews" this investor is referring to are the ongoing playtests.

In response, Ubisoft's chief financial officer Frederick Duguet said, "We said in January, we've been very happy with the playtest that we've seen in early January, so we have a very strong improved version to show to players that they haven't seen yet." Duguet then went on to say that the improved version "is really what we are going to leverage in the next month to drive more momentum on the game."

Yes, very strong indeed. Every 10 minutes you have to pay 1€ to continue playing, it's the new digital arcade system. Ubisoft new monetisation system after NFT, Add-on, DLC, Microtransactions have failed to bring in the big bucks to save their copy pasted games.

Spyxos

This Is Fine GIF

Unless they add Black Flag style exploration and sword fighting, this game will never find any reasonable amount of success. No one played Black Flag or Sea of Thieves and said to themselves, you know what would make this the best pirate game ever? If you couldn't get off your boat!

Wildebeest

When asked about the projected sales of Skull and Bones, the investor questioning Ubisoft made an additional comment saying, "I'm asking because I've seen the reviews and they don't look particularly strong." One can only assume that the supposed "reviews" this investor is referring to are the ongoing playtests.
They pay game reviewers working for independent consultants to write mock reviews for games.

Saiyan-Rox

Crap they're on to us because we keep delaying it

*Babbles*

Uh yeah but we have a secret version no one has seen yet

*Whispers*

Not even us

brian0057

Banned
Ubisoft is unable to cancel this game because the Singaporean government has their balls in a vise.
If this game dies (either at launch or in production), the developers will be sudoku'd with two bullets to the back of the head.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Imagine hosting a financial call to investors and saying “no no don’t worry, we have a version of Skull and Bones that’s actually good, we just haven’t shown it yet. Trust me bro”.

Amazing.

This game is going to bomb so hard it’s going to make the Tsar Bomba look like a fart in the wind.

Last edited:

Sybrix

I cannot believe this game is still coming out.

It's an unknown franchise, it has no fanbase, the game itself looks like a middle of the road game, nothing mind blowing, why on earth are Ubisoft so desperate to release this game instead of canning it?

Last edited:
Unless they add Black Flag style exploration and sword fighting, this game will never find any reasonable amount of success. No one played Black Flag or Sea of Thieves and said to themselves, you know what would make this the best pirate game ever? If you couldn't get off your boat!
*Slowly raises hand*

I actually did kind of want black flag but just being on boats only. Was the best part of the game for me. The other parts were just boring/generic assassin Creed games.

As for this game however, I was interested at first but wayyyyy to many delays for me to think this game is gonna be anything worthwhile.

drotahorror

Apparently people enjoyed the recent beta...not me. So boring and the graphics were so blurry. I'm sure I turned w/e AA they had on or off etc as well.

Classic Ubisoft 4D chess here. They let us play the shitty Beta to make us think the games utter crap so we forget about it and delist it from our watchlists/wishlists. Then, when nobody cares about it anymore, they release a somewhat good game that's not totally broken. Profit.

Last edited:
*Slowly raises hand*

I actually did kind of want black flag but just being on boats only. Was the best part of the game for me. The other parts were just boring/generic assassin Creed games.

As for this game however, I was interested at first but wayyyyy to many delays for me to think this game is gonna be anything worthwhile.
And this is the mistake that is made when you (and by "you" I really mean anyone, or even me in this case) use a "no one" when an "almost no one" or a "very few people" would have done.

Z O N E

Uhh, unless they reworked the entire game... what super version are we talking about?

I played in all the tests they had and it was... BORING. This game is going to be DOA and I heavily criticisized the game in the feedback.

This all started with everyone's being surprised by how much they loved the gameplay loop of 'explore, naval combat, upgrade' from a game that launched at the start of the previous generation. Amazing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Maybe they should have led the marketing with this improved version in the first place

Isn't this the project that's only being kept alive because of funding from some Asian country's government or something like that?

Simo

I'll say compared to the initial reveal and one of the tests I played, I was surprised at the perspective of the game but was still bored.

The game is sadly 10 years too late.

Top Bottom